WHO IS BEST EQUIPPED TO STOP GUNTER

blueflu

16 minutes ago, Racer55 said:

You like to rub it in I see. I don’t remember any WO posters rubbing it in like you do when we spanked y’all consistently. I’ll remember it though and really rub it back in later years. Bask in Harmonies glory of defeating the mighty necks that have beat y’all every year except a couple since kingdom come. WO has gotten better since the loss to y’all, and they’re running hood a lot up the middle, which they didn’t do in pre season because he’s been injured each year. IMHO Pottsboro should be better than White Oak and for Gunter to shut them out says a lot. Harmonee would/should give em a good game but just honestly don’t see anyone beating them until the finals maybe. Their D is pretty darn good. My understanding is they are a running team.

Sorry Racer, couldn't resist. You're right, the Necks have owned the Eagles for years. Not sure how Harmony would fare if they made it far enough to play Gunter. I feel like they would have a better chance against a running team vs. a Spread team. Harmony has never been past the 3rd round. It would be great if they had the opportunity.

If anybody can beat Gunter it would be.....

Waskom!  Unfortunately, they would have to beat a bunch of teams better than them to get the chance 😊.  Just thought I might get GT Alumnus to smile on that one.

Very proud for Gunter's current title.  They earned it the right way.

I have watched Gunter for years. They run the offense that fits their players. This is what has impressed me about them. The coach coaches to the talent he has. I watched them about four years ago and they ran the best tunnel sweep I've ever seen. They are just tuff group of kids. Harmony will be their best completion in the region. I really can't see anyone else. Sorry but I don't have a home team and I just go by what I've seen and read. Dangerfield I don't think is there yet. 

Hard to say.  The Gunter D hasn't really been tested yet, but they've been unquestionably impressive anyway.  Harmony, Lexington, Newton, Canadian, Sonora and others mentioned in this thread can say the same.  Any of these teams matched up together would be a good game I think.  I can only talk about Gunter because that's who I have followed the closest. 

The offense is dangerous with so many weapons (mostly on the ground).  Like last year, they very rarely needed a passing game, but it was there and efficient when needed.  This team scores so fast that it's hard to gauge how good they are.  For example, I believe in the Prairiland game, the starting unit ran 13 offensive plays - all in the first half.  7 of those plays went for touchdowns (not counting  at least 2 called back for penalties) which led to a 48-0 halftime score (only a slightly above average first half for Gunter in district play this season).  This has not been abnormal for this offense.  In this particular week, Prairiland couldn't field a JV team, so some JV kids suited up for the varsity game and played in the second half.  It was against this backup defense peppered with JV kids that Prairiland scored, and the only 7 points Gunter has allowed this year in district play.  I could be mistaken, but I believe the starting Gunter defensive unit has allowed less than 2 points per game over the whole season and the starting offensive unit has scored over 40 per game.  These are the scoring stats for just the first half of games in which the starters play.

This is a tough team, and it will take a superb team to beat them.  That's not to say one of the teams mentioned isn't one of those teams.  I don't think we will know until round 3 or 4 if that team is out there.

1 hour ago, Ringside said:

If anybody can beat Gunter it would be.....

Waskom!  Unfortunately, they would have to beat a bunch of teams better than them to get the chance 😊.  Just thought I might get GT Alumnus to smile on that one.

Very proud for Gunter's current title.  They earned it the right way.

yeah we would both have to beat a bunch of good teams but that would a cool matchup.

32 minutes ago, KrookedWolfe said:

Maybe you better stop dipping. Dfield has a very young team, but still very competitive. 

A very young Daingerfield team doesn't fair well against an experienced team Gunter has, no chance.

At the risk of shorting some team (anybody might win in any given ballgame) from the Gunter standpoint I consider the first really tough game Holliday in round 3, and predict a game with Harmony in the quarter finals.   If that were to work out well, which would be very tough, I would then expect to play an outstanding Canadian team in the semis.  I like that team, they are  a classy outfit, but of course you want to beat them.

Right now Harmony looks to be the biggest competition in region II.  Scoring a lot of points and playing better defense than the past.  For the year Gunter gives up about 40 yards rushing per game and most of that is on the backups.  I believe the starting defense gave up one touchdown for the season (Whitesboro in the 2nd quarter when the Qb had a great scramble and completed a long pass).  The starters gave up a field goal to Pilot Point, but that was after throwing an interception then stopping them and forcing the field goal.  Starters have given up nothing in district.  The offense has no individual gaudy stats as the ball is spread around in the option game.  Team wise they average about 420 yards per game mostly on the ground, but the starters average only about 2.5 quarters or less, and the defense and special teams gives the offense short fields to work with.  The option is working very well and with outstanding speed on the outside to keep the defense honest.  Qb is big and has good speed, and the backup is doing a good job also.  The kicker kicks touchbacks more than half the time and has 40+ distance for field goals.  But the coverage gets downfield so fast, the short high kicks usually result in possession at the 15-20.

Gunter is a good football team and it will take another great team to knock them off.  On the negative side, district 6 is pretty weak this year so there has not been much competition in weeks.  Hope they can turn it up when they have to.  Hoping somebody like Nocona or Henrietta won't sneak up on them.

Daingerfield looks dangerous too, not sure where they are in the bracket.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BlueDuroc said:

That is correct.  Play like a well oiled machine, very disciplined with few mistakes.  Mostly run the ball, but will pass when needed.  The defense will swarm to the ball, If I'm not mistaken only 7 points have been scored on the defense in district this year.  Impressive team for sure.

West Rusk hasn't allowed a point in district this year. Not sure if they'll reach the final or not though. This side of the bracket has some pretty solid teams in it.

42 minutes ago, blueflu said:

newton arp, arp boling were crazy games last year

Yep no doubt, newton vs gunter would have been one for the ages for sure... This year should be just as fun.... I really hope Gunter and harmony play I want to see that one

On 10/31/2017 at 6:53 PM, eagle34 said:

Why don't you tell us a little about them. Where are they located? What kind of offense and defense do they run? What quality wins do they have this year? Do they have any potential College players? Are they fast? Thank you in advance for some information on your team!

Go watch last years state championship game. 

1 minute ago, eagle34 said:

Where do you suggest I go to watch that Game? Do they have a lot of returnees from last year?

I do not know, but you are asking questions about one of the best teams in the state this year that won state last year as if they are some jonny come lately's. So whatever I suggest I am sure will fall on deaf ears.