Who wins Class 3A Div 2 Region 2

Daingerfield357

4 hours ago, eagle34 said:

Don't sleep on Harmony! Nobody has stopped them either. White Oak and Waskom have been there only tough opponents, but the Defense is pitching shutouts and the Offense has been lights out....

It’s nice when people sleep on your team isn’t it?  

1 hour ago, eagle34 said:

Fair enough. This is a Senior laden Harmony team this year. When they switched to the Gunter offense a couple of years ago, they took off. They are now running it to perfection. They are a mirror image of Gunter and I'm hoping they get to square off. If there is a team in Region 2 that can throw the ball well, they may have a chance to beat the Eagles. Looking forward to the Eagles proving they can go on a deep run. Remember 3rd round is as deep as they have ever been.

Last year was Gunter's first year in their current offense.  

38 minutes ago, Pax said:

Last year was Gunter's first year in their current offense.  

Ok, I must have got some bad information. I thought they ran a version of the Slot T, like Harmony now runs. Regardless of where they got it from, the Offense is on a whole different level now.

Our schedule definitely hasn't made it easy to judge where we are competitively. Waskom and White Oak were the most competitive games so far. Still we had to play who we had to play and wound up at 9-0. Those who saw our team last year, our secondary play is much improved. The DC is more aggressive when it comes to attacking the offense where as we were more a read and react defense last year. I think that's what gives us a edge over last year's team. Offensively? We are not a big play offense like last year. We scored on a bunch of 1 play, 2 play, 3 play drives last year. That hasn't happened as much. It's more of a steady pound the rock until the big play hits. As far as Gunter goes, "to be the man you gotta beat the man". If we continue to "Win the Day" we could wind playing them.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2017 at 10:25 AM, Daingerfield357 said:

Daingerfield, Gunter, Harmony, Cooper

Depending on the health of  the teams I would have to predict it comes down to Gunter vs Harmony.  Any of us can get knocked off though.  I think Holliday should be included on that list too.  Cooper - no, not this year.

I thought I would put in my thoughts on this region. Do not have a dog in this race, but I do keep up with the teams, especially the ones on the western side of the region.

Yes, Holliday has had a nice rebound year. trying to overcome the scandal from a few years back that led to every one of their coaches being fired and the near total destruction of their program. they are tough this year, but since they lost their star quarterback, Jett Johnson, they have not had anywhere near the offensive power that they had early in the season. Kade Patterson is a good athlete alright, but he is not the passer that Johnson was, and Holliday has been suffering from an inability to pass. that will get them in trouble. They still have the two-headed monster in Jones and Boyd lining up in the backfield, but without the passing threat that Johnson brought, Holliday’s offense is not near as potent. Holliday’s defense is solid though, and that is their strength.

Another team that nobody is talking about, but you had better watch out for is Jacksboro. The catalyst for this year’s Jacksboro team came when coach Brian Hodnett left and was replaced by Brannon Rodgers, who came from Crosbyton. Rodgers has completely changed the atmosphere. Jacksboro, as much as I hate to say it, is a darkhorse. Harmony had better take them seriously in a couple of weeks, assuming both teams get there.

I have a hard time getting on the Harmony bandwagon since being burned last year. I heard people saying how good Harmony was and I went and watched them play against Henrietta in the playoffs and was just unimpressed. It is true that it is a year later, and Harmony may indeed be the second best team in the region, but can’t see Harmony improving enough in a year to hang with Gunter. Harmony has had a season with big numbers against a weak schedule. Look for Harmony and Jacksboro to both win their first playoff game easily, and then meet in the second round, with Harmony coming out on top in a close game.

On the other side of the regional bracket, I believe Gunter and Holliday will meet in the third round, and Gunter will take care business. It will probably be comparable to Gunter’s game last year against Henrietta. just a little bit closer than that one was, as this year’s Holliday team is better than last year’s Henrietta team.

As for the region, this is the way I see it (mho):

1. Gunter (head and shoulders above every one else)

2. Holliday

3. Harmony

4. Jacksboro

5. Don’t know who that would be… New Diana…? Daingerfield…? (if ND’s victory over Df was just a fluke)

Can’t wait for Thursday night! It is about to get really fun!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, westtexas said:

I thought I would put in my thoughts on this region. Do not have a dog in this race, but I do keep up with the teams, especially the ones on the western side of the region.

Yes, Holliday has had a nice rebound year. trying to overcome the scandal from a few years back that led to every one of their coaches being fired and the near total destruction of their program. they are tough this year, but since they lost their star quarterback, Jett Johnson, they have not had anywhere near the offensive power that they had early in the season. Kade Patterson is a good athlete alright, but he is not the passer that Johnson was, and Holliday has been suffering from an inability to pass. that will get them in trouble. They still have the two-headed monster in Jones and Boyd lining up in the backfield, but without the passing threat that Johnson brought, Holliday’s offense is not near as potent. Holliday’s defense is solid though, and that is their strength.

Another team that nobody is talking about, but you had better watch out for is Jacksboro. The catalyst for this year’s Jacksboro team came when coach Brian Hodnett left and was replaced by Brannon Rodgers, who came from Crosbyton. Rodgers has completely changed the atmosphere. Jacksboro, as much as I hate to say it, is a darkhorse. Harmony had better take them seriously in a couple of weeks, assuming both teams get there.

I have a hard time getting on the Harmony bandwagon since being burned last year. I heard people saying how good Harmony was and I went and watched them play against Henrietta in the playoffs and was just unimpressed. It is true that it is a year later, and Harmony may indeed be the second best team in the region, but can’t see Harmony improving enough in a year to hang with Gunter. Harmony has had a season with big numbers against a weak schedule. Look for Harmony and Jacksboro to both win their first playoff game easily, and then meet in the second round, with Harmony coming out on top in a close game.

On the other side of the regional bracket, I believe Gunter and Holliday will meet in the third round, and Gunter will take care business. It will probably be comparable to Gunter’s game last year against Henrietta. just a little bit closer than that one was, as this year’s Holliday team is better than last year’s Henrietta team.

2. Holliday

3. Harmony

4. Jacksboro

5. Don’t know who that would be… New Diana…? Daingerfield…? (if ND’s victory over Df was just a fluke)

Thanks for the info. To clarify ND vs DF it wasn't a fluke. They won. We didn't capitalize on their mistakes and they did on ours. Still both teams can make some noise early on if fully healthy imo. If we beat LO and Gunter wins then we would meet rd 2. 

2 hours ago, westtexas said:

2. Holliday

3. Harmony

4. Jacksboro

Thanks for the thoughts on the west teams. If Harmony and Jacksboro do play in the second round I hope it's a Saturday game since the half way point seems to be Mesquite area. 

On 11/9/2017 at 3:40 PM, eagle34 said:

Fair enough. This is a Senior laden Harmony team this year. When they switched to the Gunter offense a couple of years ago, they took off. They are now running it to perfection. They are a mirror image of Gunter and I'm hoping they get to square off. If there is a team in Region 2 that can throw the ball well, they may have a chance to beat the Eagles. Looking forward to the Eagles proving they can go on a deep run. Remember 3rd round is as deep as they have ever been.

ND Blue Eagles can throw it...if DF is in conversation, so is ND.

On 11/9/2017 at 12:54 PM, Daingerfield357 said:

1st round we will take care of, and tbh from what a couple of Tiger players they prefer the #1 team Gunter and when we beat them then y'all will believe Daingerfield bout to make another 3yr run at state... 

This is like colleges saying, "We want Bama!". . . no, you don't

I honestly think New Diana is the biggest threat to Gunter. I've watched Harmony play and they are tough kids but their offensive system will not help them much against a defense like Gunter's. The best way to attack Gunter is gunna be through the air. Make them soften coverage with the run than let the QB pick them apart. If you let Gunter load the box and fly to the football like they will against a team like Harmony, the game will be over by the half. New Diana seems to have decent athletes at the receiver position and a QB that has an arm on him. Daingerfield is a similar team but they are very young so I give the edge to New Diana. Heard through the grapevines a Gunter vs Daingerfield non-district game could be in the works for next year though. 

37 minutes ago, LPack said:

I honestly think New Diana is the biggest threat to Gunter. I've watched Harmony play and they are tough kids but their offensive system will not help them much against a defense like Gunter's. The best way to attack Gunter is gunna be through the air. Make them soften coverage with the run than let the QB pick them apart. If you let Gunter load the box and fly to the football like they will against a team like Harmony, the game will be over by the half. New Diana seems to have decent athletes at the receiver position and a QB that has an arm on him. Daingerfield is a similar team but they are very young so I give the edge to New Diana. Heard through the grapevines a Gunter vs Daingerfield non-district game could be in the works for next year though. 

Week 1