Bi-district: Pleasant Grove @ Tatum

Eagleborn

I guess that Shill guy is out practicing his golf game. They do have one thing at Shill they are good at. He probably believes Dommer when he said it wasn't a sport.&is the reason he can play and keep up with his strokes. So he is no longer in the house.

9 hours ago, Eagle8 said:

We played really good defensively but I gotta say.....Jasper was way better. I think Jasper wins the region. They're freakin huge, with very good team speed, and very very physical. Way more physical than PG.

It will be interesting to watch how the game progresses down in the pits ... Jasper's experienced and talented OL vs PG's extremely talented T,N,T in their front.

2 minutes ago, DOB said:

It will be interesting to watch how the game progresses down in the pits ... Jasper's experienced and talented OL vs PG's extremely talented T,N,T in their front.

Agreed....Jasper offense just seems a little bit more potent. To me. Defenses are pretty much equal.

2 minutes ago, Eagle8 said:

Agreed....Jasper offense just seems a little bit more potent. To me. Defenses are pretty much equal.

Teams are pretty even in most respects ... the only "unit" advantage I see is an edge to Jasper in the secondary.

But that can be somewhat skewed because Jasper generally runs a press-man coverage, especially on early downs.

PG D zone scheme puts a lot of pressure on its 4 DB because they don't get much help underneath.  But they can run ... and they break on the ball well.

All that may be a mute point as Jasper's offensive attack will require them probably to also play some (if not a lot of) man.

The Jasper offensive seems simple in design, but the HC does a really good job with sets and can get you in a situation where the D is left with an unsupported edge.

Regardless, this is not going to be a game where I would place any money on selecting a winner ... this will be a classic slugfest and could go either way.

12 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Y’all saying PG isn’t as tough as their record would indicate? 

Hardly .... but that's a hard call ... it is just as possible that PG took the guys in Green a little too lightly, especially on defense.

21 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Y’all saying PG isn’t as tough as their record would indicate? 

Tatum defense must be pretty stout. 

Tatum in general......except for our game against Jasper....was in every single ball game at half time either winning or barely trailing. Couple that with a team of 476 enrollment ballsy enough to schedule teams with enrollments of 950 to 1200 and you end up with a pretty dang scrappy 3-7 team. Secondary was the downfall all year.....they played lights out last night. Offensively, we struggled this year and couldn't close out games but despite what people thought of our "weak" district, we played one of the toughest schedules I've seen us play in a while. So in retrospect....we punched PG in the mouth which they weren't expecting. What D2 should be worried about is the fact that a 3-7, 43 point underdog, just woke a really talented football team up.

1 hour ago, sackem said:

Lion does that 21 ring a bell? we held another team to 21. and we put up 20 against them.

That was early in the year and Henderson had 1 returning offensive player. The QB. I don’t think that’s a comparison. But I know everyone like to poke lion70 every chance you get.

2 hours ago, sackem said:

I guess that Shill guy is out practicing his golf game. They do have one thing at Shill they are good at. He probably believes Dommer when he said it wasn't a sport.&is the reason he can play and keep up with his strokes. So he is no longer in the house.

Maybe ... but he seems like more of a jacks or hop-scotch kind of a person

nothing but props for Tatum.  Team is better than it's record....big....and athletic.  Good for PG to have to grind one out like they did instead of coast it in.  That game definitely makes us better for the next round.  Hopefully it woke up some guys.  Defense holding Tatum rushing game to -8 yards on 22 carries is huge.

10 hours ago, PGHawkfan said:

Played the worst offenseive game of the year. Won by two scores and -2 in turnovers......not overrated imo. 

You played the worst offensive game of the year because our defense got after that buttox. Was able to get my eyes on the game film and I'm not quite sure exactly what y'all are calling playing bad. I've seen game film on y'all in several games and the only difference between everybody else against y'all and us against y'all was the fact that we set the edge when y'all tried the jet sweep and shut it down, no one else could. When y'all dropped back to pass y'all didn't catch us sleeping, we blanketed yalls receivers except for once, no one else did. Which is why your QB was abnormally sacked a couple times....and we got pressure on him on that little role out pass with the pulling guard and he panicked and just chunked it up and got it picked off. Now the 2 bad center/QB exchanges was definitely self inflicted. But y'all ran the same scheme y'all did the previous 10 games.....our boys just showed up and punched y'all in the mouth for 4 quarters. I'd be willing to bet that's the first time all year y'all didnt score in the 2nd half. 

But honestly....as far as what I expected and what I saw.....yeah, IMO......maybe a little over rated. I expected much more honestly. The defense isn't  over rated by any means....they were legit as it gets, Jasper was the only other team we have faced with a defense equal to yalls....but offensively.....I'd say it's over rated. Jasper is much better offensively, Rusk is better offensively, even Diboll was probably better offensively. But the good news is yalls front 7 on defense is unbelievably talented. Secondary is a bit shakey....but running on y'all is a tough task.

Regardless, it's the playoffs.....survive and move on, and that's exactly what y'all did. Congrats.....wasn't quite the 60 to 7 beat down many were predicting though.

Best of luck the rest of the way.....really hoping for a Jasper/PG matchup......hope it's played in Carthage if it happens.

8 hours ago, Hawk20 said:

nothing but props for Tatum.  Team is better than it's record....big....and athletic.  Good for PG to have to grind one out like they did instead of coast it in.  That game definitely makes us better for the next round.  Hopefully it woke up some guys.  Defense holding Tatum rushing game to -8 yards on 22 carries is huge.

Yeah....yalls front 7 is ridiculous much like Jasper's. Very, very talented group up there. Secondary is a tad bit shakey though. We missed on a couple deep balls to open guys that could have changed the game. Jasper's defense resembles yalls up front but I think their secondary is a little better. Looking forward to that matchup if both of y'all can make it that far, which should be possible. Their massive avg 290+ O-line vs yalls front 7 would be fun to watch.

Good job by tatum Friday night...when all eleven start paying hard and another offseason of work, the eagles gonna be tough...gave PG a good game...

Congrats to the Hawks on advancing...will need to step up level of play next Friday and cut out the self inflicted mistakes...

On 11/18/2017 at 7:55 PM, Eagle8 said:

You played the worst offensive game of the year because our defense got after that buttox. Was able to get my eyes on the game film and I'm not quite sure exactly what y'all are calling playing bad. I've seen game film on y'all in several games and the only difference between everybody else against y'all and us against y'all was the fact that we set the edge when y'all tried the jet sweep and shut it down, no one else could. When y'all dropped back to pass y'all didn't catch us sleeping, we blanketed yalls receivers except for once, no one else did. Which is why your QB was abnormally sacked a couple times....and we got pressure on him on that little role out pass with the pulling guard and he panicked and just chunked it up and got it picked off. Now the 2 bad center/QB exchanges was definitely self inflicted. But y'all ran the same scheme y'all did the previous 10 games.....our boys just showed up and punched y'all in the mouth for 4 quarters. I'd be willing to bet that's the first time all year y'all didnt score in the 2nd half. 

But honestly....as far as what I expected and what I saw.....yeah, IMO......maybe a little over rated. I expected much more honestly. The defense isn't  over rated by any means....they were legit as it gets, Jasper was the only other team we have faced with a defense equal to yalls....but offensively.....I'd say it's over rated. Jasper is much better offensively, Rusk is better offensively, even Diboll was probably better offensively. But the good news is yalls front 7 on defense is unbelievably talented. Secondary is a bit shakey....but running on y'all is a tough task.

Regardless, it's the playoffs.....survive and move on, and that's exactly what y'all did. Congrats.....wasn't quite the 60 to 7 beat down many were predicting though.

Best of luck the rest of the way.....really hoping for a Jasper/PG matchup......hope it's played in Carthage if it happens.

Meh...good points but your adjectives are over the top. I would say ya'll played moderately better defense than some of the other teams we have played but if you can't score, then everything else is pointless. Learn to score, then you can use big boy adjectives.

15 hours ago, PGDad said:

Meh...good points but your adjectives are over the top. I would say ya'll played moderately better defense than some of the other teams we have played but if you can't score, then everything else is pointless. Learn to score, then you can use big boy adjectives.

Lol.....I'm not sure you are getting the big picture here. Your "unbeatable" team let a 3-7 football team that has given up over 30 ppg and only scored just north of 14 ppg on the season play them to a 14 point game. One more "weaker" opponent then it gets real.....Good luck to yall this week.

If it was a pattern, you'd have a point. It's the ol homer vs hater debate...No doubt, ya'll did good but just watch...these boys are champions, I've seen them come back from a "bad" game before. That's what makes us a team, sometimes the O has an off day and the D says "I got you fam!" That is the attitude that has permeated every single player. They are brothers. I've seen teams that have great individual players, but are not a team. Trust me...they got each other fam. 

On 11/18/2017 at 7:55 PM, Eagle8 said:

Well, doesn't look like the Jasper matchup is gonna happen. I'm not going to rebuke you with a dissertation but; 28-7 here and the Hawks have scored on every possession thus far. You say overrated, I say undefeated. I don't understand how the Hawks can be overrated with no losses.  Just my two cents. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, orangethunder1 said:

PG season ends today 

Not quite, Chief. I think they never punted, and sat starters, which made it look better on the board.

Celina is next up.

another big test for the Hawks, another revenge game, another game the naysayers wll point to, and say, " ok, you are undefeated, sure, but until you beat --------------, will you be respected.

15 hours ago, PGHawkfan said:

Well, doesn't look like the Jasper matchup is gonna happen. I'm not going to rebuke you with a dissertation but; 28-7 here and the Hawks have scored on every possession thus far. You say overrated, I say undefeated. I don't understand how the Hawks can be overrated with no losses.  Just my two cents. 

Mainly just tryin to stick a pin needle in some of them big aired up heads lol. That new car smell ain't gonna last forever though, don't expect it every year cuz it aint gonna happen, lol. We went from a 41-4(2 of those losses to Gilmer when we were 2A) 3 year stretch winning 2 state titles back to back and losing the 3rd straight appearance in OT by 3...to an 11-11 stretch next 2 years getting bounced in the 1st round both times. A very humbling experience as a fan of a team that I felt was invincible....Much like some of you PG fellas on here lol. But I ain't mad at ya....eat it up while ya can.......ain't gonna last long, unless your name is Carthage or Gilmer.

IMO Jasper had the only offensive line in the region to counter that big front 7 on yalls defense that would have given them an advantage against y'all more so than the others in the region. However, Gilmer's offense seems to be catching fire which could make a PG/Gilmer rematch a hell of a shootout. Hard to beat a good team twice. It's a gamble in the region honestly. Definitely the toughest region for sure. I like PGs chances, but apparently Celina ain't a push over because Jasper had the best offensive line I've seen in a while. And don't let Melissa's sizable win over Rusk fool ya, Rusk was a pretty darn good football team. PG, Gilmer, Celina, Melissa.....all seem to be quite equipped to make this race for the region very exciting. Any news of where you guys play this week and when?