Hughes Springs vs Mineola

HS1988

Hughes Springs vs Mineola  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/18/2017 at 01:00 AM

17 hours ago, Mustang4life said:

Mr game watcher... was last night an off night for Mineola??  Just wondering if they played way off from what y'all are used to.

The Jackets have been struggling quite a bit on both sides lately. Against the Mustangs the Jacket D did well to begin with and I said that the Jacket Off. would have to score early and often which didn't happen. The D was on the field for to long and it started to show late in the 2nd quarter. I though the Jacket Off. should have started out slinging the ball from the get go and run hurry up tempo from the start. The turn-overs killed the momentum each time they had the ball and then the late score by HS before half really put the game out of reach in my mind. If it had been 13-7 at half instead of 20-0 it would have been doable for a comeback, but once up by 3 scores HS started grinding the clock down when they were on Off.  

When the Jackets got the ball to start the 3rd and went hurry up the Mustangs D was on it's heels but the turnover killed the drive. The Jackets team of 2017 is very different than of teams of the last 4 years, learning a new Off. system that has more passing and getting players used to throwing and catching and running routes and learning how to work to open spots has been a struggle. But I really like the direction they are going and I hope it really takes off once the system is taught to the younger Jackets in JH/JV.

What some of the armchair coaches in the stands don't realize or are to stupid to understand is the Championship team that they watched for the last few years had some very talented players that could make plays with their feet that made opposing defenses just look like they were the keystone cops. The idiot that keeps yelling "YOU GOTTA BLOCK" at the lineman is to stupid to understand that this is the same lineman blocking last year in Jerry's World and has a ring. It's just a different QB who does not run the same as Crawford or Perkins could run. They are also being asked to pass block more than ever before and it's all a learning curve. QB Franklin has done an awesome job learning a new system and it's like trying to take a sip of water from a fire hydrant that is on full blast.

So to summarize the Mustangs played really well and I hope ya'll have a good game next week, but be ready for a Zebra team that has been running the spread for years. They will be more in sync on Off. and will be slinging the ball from the get go. HS will have a chance if they can grind the ball down the field. Good luck

7 hours ago, gamewatcher63 said:

The Jackets have been struggling quite a bit on both sides lately. Against the Mustangs the Jacket D did well to begin with and I said that the Jacket Off. would have to score early and often which didn't happen. The D was on the field for to long and it started to show late in the 2nd quarter. I though the Jacket Off. should have started out slinging the ball from the get go and run hurry up tempo from the start. The turn-overs killed the momentum each time they had the ball and then the late score by HS before half really put the game out of reach in my mind. If it had been 13-7 at half instead of 20-0 it would have been doable for a comeback, but once up by 3 scores HS started grinding the clock down when they were on Off.  

When the Jackets got the ball to start the 3rd and went hurry up the Mustangs D was on it's heels but the turnover killed the drive. The Jackets team of 2017 is very different than of teams of the last 4 years, learning a new Off. system that has more passing and getting players used to throwing and catching and running routes and learning how to work to open spots has been a struggle. But I really like the direction they are going and I hope it really takes off once the system is taught to the younger Jackets in JH/JV.

What some of the armchair coaches in the stands don't realize or are to stupid to understand is the Championship team that they watched for the last few years had some very talented players that could make plays with their feet that made opposing defenses just look like they were the keystone cops. The idiot that keeps yelling "YOU GOTTA BLOCK" at the lineman is to stupid to understand that this is the same lineman blocking last year in Jerry's World and has a ring. It's just a different QB who does not run the same as Crawford or Perkins could run. They are also being asked to pass block more than ever before and it's all a learning curve. QB Franklin has done an awesome job learning a new system and it's like trying to take a sip of water from a fire hydrant that is on full blast.

So to summarize the Mustangs played really well and I hope ya'll have a good game next week, but be ready for a Zebra team that has been running the spread for years. They will be more in sync on Off. and will be slinging the ball from the get go. HS will have a chance if they can grind the ball down the field. Good luck

I think you sum it up. People don't understand that the blocking is totally different. They will work on getting quicker. Teams load the box on Mineola because of past teams. I thought the QB has done a good job not every playing in a passing offense. It takes adjustment from the kids and coaching staff to change your scheme. I think Coach Blackwell and his staff will start in the off season to adjust their kids physiology. The teams that run this offense start teaching the basic in Jr. High. These kids started in August. Plus you don't lose 18 seniors and not have a let down. Especially the 18 athletes they graduated. The Mustangs were hungry and it showed. Best of luck to HS and good luck to Mineola and their new journey.