DCTF sleeper picks.

MrBuddyGarrity

Melissa is really good with speed everywhere and some really good athletes. Most people in east texas discount them because Gilmer has throttled them the past few years, but this Melissa team is so much better then those and people will notice after next week. They are very young, but loaded on both sides of the ball. The starters haven't played a full game since Princeton back in week 4. They are gonna sneak up on teams.

Didn't Melissa have a good team last year? I'm just saying, I attribute their success based highly on who they play. They were good last year, but if they meet Gilmer, I don't see them getting past it. Gilmer has a huge mental edge on Melissa. I mean who wouldn't, when you have played a team 3 years in a row, and lost by an accumulated score of 178-6. Gilmer just knows how to beat Melissa, despite match-ups. This isn't the first good team Melissa has had recently either. 

3 minutes ago, REBgp said:

If PNG can make any possible adjustments to improve their defense, they could make a deep run.  PAM definitely has the athletes to go deep.  No one should ever take either of these two lightly.

I was shocked they called both of us sleepers lol, especially us. That's cool though, long as we stay healthy we'll be playing for a long time into December. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

Didn't Melissa have a good team last year? I'm just saying, I attribute their success based highly on who they play. They were good last year, but if they meet Gilmer, I don't see them getting past it. Gilmer has a huge mental edge on Melissa. I mean who wouldn't, when you have played a team 3 years in a row, and lost by an auccumulated score of 178-6. Gilmer just knows how to beat Melissa, despite match-ups. This isn't the first good team Melissa has had recently either. 

nm

Edited by RedRed

20 hours ago, H3llR4z0r said:

Didn't Melissa have a good team last year? I'm just saying, I attribute their success based highly on who they play. They were good last year, but if they meet Gilmer, I don't see them getting past it. Gilmer has a huge mental edge on Melissa. I mean who wouldn't, when you have played a team 3 years in a row, and lost by an accumulated score of 178-6. Gilmer just knows how to beat Melissa, despite match-ups. This isn't the first good team Melissa has had recently either. 

So, Melissa should forfeit if they draw Gilmer in the playoffs? 

4 minutes ago, texasblues46 said:

So, Melissa should forfeit if they draw Gilmer in the playoffs? 

All I'm saying is, that Gilmer has a mental edge on them, and somehow or another, have figured out a formula for beating Melissa. Every team shows up to play the game, and anything can happen each week. Just because Melissa has a "good" team this year, doesn't mean they're not susceptible to the same fate.  Melissa had a good team last year, and the results were almost identical. It's one of those things where, to be the man, you have to beat the man, and in the Gilmer/Melissa situation, Gilmer is definitely "the man." Just because I give my reasoning for my opinion on the results of a Gilmer/Melissa match-up, doesn't mean I can't be dead wrong. I mean, it dang sure won't be the first time, or the last, and I'll be back either way.

8 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

I find it funny that everyone gets kinda upset when you make assumptions that the favorite will win. Heaven forbid, people pick the defending state champs, or a team that has been overly dominant in a match-up to win a football game. 

Exactly..

9-7 here we come.

22 hours ago, REBgp said:

If PNG can make any possible adjustments to improve their defense, they could make a deep run.  PAM definitely has the athletes to go deep.  No one should ever take either of these two lightly.

Agree!!! PNG's problem is definitely not offense. I am concerned about that defense though, and losing a game late in district doesn't help. 

PAM definitely a great sleeper pick, as are the Demons of Dumas.

I also agree with Henderson & Kilgore. Any team in the DOD has a chance to go far.

Not sure I can get on the Melissa bandwagon. I can't see them getting past a Gilmer team that knows how to win in the playoffs. Plus, never discount the mental aspect of playing a team that has humiliated you the last 3 times you have played them. Doesn't matter how good a team you have, the emotional issues will come into play. I still believe PG is the team in that region, but a rematch with the Buckeyes could be tougher than expected. PG had the best offense and defense of any team I have seen this year. Hard for me to pick against them, plus I know how hard it is to get over that hump in beating the Buckeyes. Now that the Hawks have done that, I can't see them letting up or having problems with anyone.

• Thanks 1

I assure you Melissa could careless about Gilmers past achievements trust me and to be completely honest a lot of these kids don't even know who Gilmer is especially the new kids. The players that did play against Gilmer last year are not worried at all about Gilmer. That's not being cocky they are just not worried about any team. 

24 minutes ago, RedRed said:

I assure you Melissa could careless about Gilmers past achievements trust me and to be completely honest a lot of these kids don't even know who Gilmer is especially the new kids. The players that did play against Gilmer last year are not worried at all about Gilmer. That's not being cocky they are just not worried about any team. 

Hard for me to believe any kid who plays football doesn't know who Gilmer is. It's not about being worried. I'm sure there are plenty of teams out there that have been beaten by the Buckeyes that went into the game "not worried". 

If anyone is going to beat Gilmer early in the playoffs, this could be the year, but despite how confident a team is in their ability to win against the Buckeyes, if they haven't beaten them in the past, it will be on their mind.

Gilmer isnt the only good football program in Texas lol. A lot of the young guys on Melissa's team are move ins from bigger schools like the McKinney schools who have never played Gilmer nor would need to know about them. It was amazing seeing the kids attitude this year about Celina a team that has beat up on Melissa the last few years. They went into the game focused and intense believing they would win. Gilmer will be no different. I've noticed that when you get kids that move in from bigger schools 5a and 6a they arnt intimidated by teams like Gilmer and Celina.

13 minutes ago, RedRed said:

Gilmer is the only good football program in Texas lol. A lot of the young guys on Melissa's team are move ins from bigger schools like the McKinney schools who have never played Gilmer nor would need to know about them. It was amazing seeing the kids attitude this year about Celina a team that has beat up on Melissa the last few years. They went into the game focused and intense believing they would win. Gilmer will be no different. I've noticed that when you get kids that move in from bigger schools 5a and 6a they arnt intimidated by teams like Gilmer and Celina.

I didn't say Gilmer was the only good football program in Texas, but if you play football anywhere in Texas, you know who the Buckeyes are, as well as the Celina's and other great football programs throughout the state. 

A lot of young move ins from the McKinney area huh? That makes a lot of sense. I'm sure the kids had good reasons to move, but many of the top 10 schools in Texas are in the McKinney area. Of course I get many don't want to live in the Metroplex. Good to see Melissa is growing. Y'all will have fun in Div I next year.

Good luck to y'all. This talk is a little early anyway. Both teams have to take care of business with others first.

8 minutes ago, RedRed said:

Yes McKinney, both towns and school districts are lined with each other. There are new subdivisions that are in McKinney city limits but Melissa Isd. Also McKinney North Bulldogs school is 5 minutes from Melissa High School.

That's makes sense. I have a couple of nephews raising families in the area. One in McKinney, the other in Prosper. It's a growing area for families. 

School districts are crazy. We have homes that are within 2 miles of Gladewater High School, but yet in the Gilmer School District, which is 15 miles away. Never know how they figure it out.

1 minute ago, Golfingnut said:

That's makes sense. I have a couple of nephews raising families in the area. One in McKinney, the other in Prosper. It's a growing area for families. 

School districts are crazy. We have homes that are within 2 miles of Gladewater High School, but yet in the Gilmer School District, which is 15 miles away. Never know how they figure it out.

School districts are crazy here. This entire area is booming. Melissa is building a 4 story high school as we speak that will hold 3500 kids. 

Just now, RedRed said:

School districts are crazy here. This entire area is booming. Melissa is building a 4 story high school as we speak that will hold 3500 kids. 

Oh my, y'all are growing. At that rate you won't stay in 4A long. Goodness, I knew that area was growing, but I had no clue it would be that fast.