Who WILL WIN 4A DIV II?

wos96

Just now, blackflag79 said:

Where's all this "smack talk" from Gilmer fans?  All I've been hearing from reliable sources is that Melissa is a whole lot better team this year than in year's past, and better not be overlooked or you'll go home disappointed.

I think some Gilmer fans will rest on past success against them, but the three times we've played them they weren't as good as this year's team.  Gilmer having outscored Melissa 180-6 in the last three years may have something to do with that.

First things first, though.  Gilmer has to beat the opponent in front of them this Friday.  The Buckeyes have yet to prove that they can step on a team's throat and hold it there.  Hopefully, with the improvements we have made in the last couple of weeks we can start doing just that.  We'll see.

My bad, I should have clarified. Most "smack talk" I have seen has been from other sources (FNF App), and probably lacks credibility. Just think it would great to see them eat their words. Haven't seen much on Smoaky, as you guys seem to be focused on the here/now rather than the past.

That being said, I haven't seen Melissa play. Just seen highlights and read what everyone is saying about them. I'd love to see this matchup.

Best of luck to Gilmer this week, as well as Melissa.

8 minutes ago, CowboysFan82 said:

My bad, I should have clarified. Most "smack talk" I have seen has been from other sources (FNF App), and probably lacks credibility. Just think it would great to see them eat their words. Haven't seen much on Smoaky, as you guys seem to be focused on the here/now rather than the past.

That being said, I haven't seen Melissa play. Just seen highlights and read what everyone is saying about them. I'd love to see this matchup.

Best of luck to Gilmer this week, as well as Melissa.

You can tell the Gilmer fan base is lacking confidence this season. They haven't been near as adamant, even on the FNF app, as in past years. 

4 minutes ago, blackflag79 said:

Which game were you watching when Pleasant Grove and Gilmer were playing?  Y'all were better than us that night.  I have no problem with that, but to say we didn't have y'all on the ropes is ludicrous.

Gilmer in no way dominated that game. They had a few lucky plays, some favorable calls, and we had to get over the "when you play Gilmer at home, you start 10 points behind" thing. Which I thought had to do with the crowd noise or something but there weren't that many Gilmer folks there. If Gilmer makes it that deep into the playoff, the rematch will just be another stop on the way to Cowboys Stadium.

4 minutes ago, PGDad said:

Gilmer in no way dominated that game. They had a few lucky plays, some favorable calls, and we had to get over the "when you play Gilmer at home, you start 10 points behind" thing. Which I thought had to do with the crowd noise or something but there weren't that many Gilmer folks there. If Gilmer makes it that deep into the playoff, the rematch will just be another stop on the way to Cowboys Stadium.

As much as I hate to agree with PGDad, I haven't heard this from just PG fans. I wish I had been there myself really, I'm still kicking myself for watching Pitt thump us instead. I've heard from a lot of different folks that PG looked like the far superior team, and that more times than 1, a favorable call bailed Gilmer out. 

That's just what I've heard, from probably 7-10 people, none of which were PG fans. 

With that being said, Gilmer is a different animal in the playoffs, and to beat them ONCE in a season it an awesome feat, but twice? Hard to think that the Gilmer coaching staff (all 27 of them) won't have the Buckeyes far more prepared a 2nd time around.

There's not a force great enough for me to miss this match-up a 2nd time this season, if it were to happen. It's too bad though, Atlanta made the playoffs so that kind of throws a kink in everyone's season. At least Atlanta will have a chance for a rematch, if Gilmer holds their end of the bargain up ;p.

1 minute ago, PGDad said:

Who said anything about dominating?  PG certainly didn't dominate us, and we didn't "dominate" them.  It was anybody's ball game until the final tick off the clock.  Let's not talk about the officiating.  PG got away with a ton of non calls, and Gilmer got the shaft on several to keep drives alive for y'all, and a couple that killed drives for us.  No excuses, however, the better team on that night won.  We haven't gotten the benefit of officiating all season, even at home.  If anything, we have gotten the shaft.  It's frustrating to watch at times.  It's part of the game, however, and the Buckeyes have to overcome that.

I hope we can both take care of business so that we can get the rematch.  It'll be one for the ages, in my opinion, neutral site or not.

5 minutes ago, PGDad said:

PG will not be playing in Cowboy stadium the last week of the season.    Pitt played with you guys without their RB and a hobbled QB and WR.    You guys are good this year but don’t get ahead of yourself.   

7 minutes ago, PGDad said:

I like you

2 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

As much as I hate to agree with PGDad, I haven't heard this from just PG fans. I wish I had been there myself really, I'm still kicking myself for watching Pitt thump us instead. I've heard from a lot of different folks that PG looked like the far superior team, and that more times than 1, a favorable call bailed Gilmer out

That's just what I've heard, from probably 7-10 people, none of which were PG fans. 

With that being said, Gilmer is a different animal in the playoffs, and to beat them ONCE in a season it an awesome feat, but twice? Hard to think that the Gilmer coaching staff (all 27 of them) won't have the Buckeyes far more prepared a 2nd time around.

There's not a force great enough for me to miss this match-up a 2nd time this season, if it were to happen. It's too bad though, Atlanta made the playoffs so that kind of throws a kink in everyone's season. At least Atlanta will have a chance for a rematch, if Gilmer holds their end of the bargain up ;p.

I call BS on this!  I was there, and I tend to view very objectively.  The "bailouts" all went PG's way.  It's okay, the better team that night won, and that's that.

1 minute ago, blackflag79 said:

Who said anything about dominating?  PG certainly didn't dominate us, and we didn't "dominate" them.  It was anybody's ball game until the final tick off the clock.  Let's not talk about the officiating.  PG got away with a ton of non calls, and Gilmer got the shaft on several to keep drives alive for y'all, and a couple that killed drives for us.  No excuses, however, the better team on that night won.  We haven't gotten the benefit of officiating all season, even at home.  If anything, we have gotten the shaft.  It's frustrating to watch at times.  It's part of the game, however, and the Buckeyes have to overcome that.

I hope we can both take care of business so that we can get the rematch.  It'll be one for the ages, in my opinion, neutral site or not.

Yeah, we dominated both lines of scrimmage, our corners had the WRs covered like paint, the defense played smart, tough football all game, Gilmer's QB was a non-issue. Calls didn't lose you guys the game, it just made it harder for us to win.

1 minute ago, Pittbacker said:

PG will not be playing in Cowboy stadium the last week of the season.    Pitt played with you guys without their RB and a hobbled QB and WR.    You guys are good this year but don’t get ahead of yourself.   

It wouldn't of mattered if you guys were full strength, there was nothing on the field that night that looked to be challenging. Get back a couple of hurt players and you guys score a D instead of an F.

7 minutes ago, blackflag79 said:

I call BS on this!  I was there, and I tend to view very objectively.  The "bailouts" all went PG's way.  It's okay, the better team that night won, and that's that.

Like I said, I wasn't there, that's just what I've heard. I chose to watch ATL get thumped by Pitt again instead. I also had a long drive the morning after.

Yeah, we dominated both lines of scrimmage, our corners had the WRs covered like paint, the defense played smart, tough football all game, Gilmer's QB was a non-issue. Calls didn't lose you guys the game, it just made it harder for us to win.

The PG defense didn't stop us much at all.  Penalties killed US a couple of times on offense.  Penalties against us kept at least 3 drives alive for PG.  Yep, it's definitely harder to win when the calls are decidedly against you, as they were against Gilmer that night.  It's okay.  Y'all won, we didn't, and hopefully we'll get a rematch.

By the way, Carthage was a better team.

1 minute ago, blackflag79 said:

The PG defense didn't stop us much at all.  Penalties killed US a couple of times on offense.  Penalties against us kept at least 3 drives alive for PG.  Yep, it's definitely harder to win when the calls are decidedly against you, as they were against Gilmer that night.  It's okay.  Y'all won, we didn't, and hopefully we'll get a rematch.

LOL you didn't have to add that last part. Carthage is in an entirely different stratosphere haha.

1 minute ago, H3llR4z0r said:

LOL you didn't have to add that last part. Carthage is in an entirely different stratosphere haha.

PGDad was the first one to mention it.  Look on page 2.  I think he's delusional.  Carthage was by far the better team, in my opinion.

7 minutes ago, blackflag79 said:

Except that one time there at the end, forcing a field goal...It won't matter anyways, ya'll's Yellow Flag defense will only get you so far. Good luck but don't count on seeing ya'll too deep in the playoffs.

5 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

Would love a 4a DI vs 4a DII championship game but it won't happen. I've seen em and it was glaringly obvious that we could beat them handily and have had many people tell me that PG is better so I'll just stick with that.

It won't matter anyways, ya'll's Yellow Flag defense will only get you so far. Good luck but don't count on seeing ya'll too deep in the playoffs.

Would love a 4a DI vs 4a DII championship game but it won't happen. I've seen em and it was glaringly obvious that we could beat them handily and have had many people tell me that PG is better so I'll just stick with that.

Bwahahaha...!!

Keep telling yourself that.

Like someone famous used to say, "Tell 'em a lie a few times, they won't believe you, but tell 'em the same lie thousands of times, they'll start believing you."

Just now, PGDad said:

It won't matter anyways, ya'll's Yellow Flag defense will only get you so far. Good luck but don't count on seeing ya'll too deep in the playoffs.

Well, you've lost all credibility I could have ever given you lol. Carthage would man handle PG. 

Sorry, not sorry Gilmer fans, but I gotta say it. The only reason the Carthage/Gilmer game was close in the first half, is because Carthage penalties kept stalling drives, and their QB was either hit or miss by a mile. Once they settled down, they ran away with it. The Carthage offense plays 10 yards at a time, so penalties hurt them tremendously. Gilmer defense did make some plays so that Carthage couldn't get the first, but it's the Carthage penalties that really pushed them back and gave Gilmer a chance to stop them. I was there, I watched the entire game, and it, to me, was a similar situation to Gilmer playing at state in 2014. I knew that once Carthage stopped shooting themselves, they would catch wind and take off.

So with that being said, Carthage's LB core is the best I've seen in recent years, and their d-line is awesome. Their offense is even more methodical than PGs. It wouldn't be close if PG/Carthage play. Sorry to hurt anyone's feelings, but we're talking about 2 totally different animals. 

Even IF Carthage didn't have higher tier athletes, and far more depth than PG, Carthage is head and shoulders above PG when it comes to coaching staff. If you don't believe me, I can give you 6 reasons why.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

Well, you've lost all credibility I could have ever given you lol. Carthage would man handle PG. 

Sorry, not sorry Gilmer fans, but I gotta say it. The only reason the Carthage/Gilmer game was close in the first half, is because Carthage penalties kept stalling drives, and their QB was either hit or miss by a mile. Once they settled down, they ran away with it. The Carthage offense plays 10 yards at a time, so penalties hurt them tremendously. Gilmer defense did make some plays so that Carthage couldn't get the first, but it's the Carthage penalties that really pushed them back and gave Gilmer a chance to stop them. I was there, I watched the entire game, and it, to me, was a similar situation to Gilmer playing at state in 2014. I knew that once Carthage stopped shooting themselves, they would catch wind and take off.

So with that being said, Carthage's LB core is the best I've seen in recent years, and their d-line is awesome. Their offense is even more methodical than PGs. It wouldn't be close if PG/Carthage play. Sorry to hurt anyone's feelings, but we're talking about 2 totally different animals. 

Even IF Carthage didn't have higher tier athletes, and far more depth than PG, Carthage is head and shoulders above PG when it comes to coaching staff. If you don't believe me, I can give you 6 reasons why.

While I agree that Carthage was the better team, I wouldn't go that far.  Gilmer had their chances to pull away while all of that was going on, but couldn't due to their own penalties, miscues, etc.  Once the Gilmer offense self-destructed, it was all over but the crying.  Incidentally, that game was the starting point of the "black" coming off of our Black Flag Defense.  Our defense took several steps back after that one.  I was surprised we managed to win some of the other games that were close.  We seem to have started getting it figured out the last couple of weeks, and I think we have started being settled in defensively.  Time will tell.

I would take Carthage all day against PG.  I will say that PG is good, even very good, but definitely not on the same plateau with Carthage.

25 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

There's your problem. Thinking.

lol more like dreaming. I know I have a lot of confidence in my Hawks and it's very hard to take me seriously sometimes but this Hawk team is the next step in a special reign at The Grove. Honestly, I'm more scared of seeing ATL again in the playoffs more than anyone else.