Rusk vs Melissa

RedRed

Rusk brings kickoff out of the end zone and brought down at the Rusk 15

Rusk 1st and 10 at their own 15, McDuff screen pass to Thomas loses 2 yards

2nd and 12 at their own 13, McDuff rolls out and throws incomplete

3rd and 12 at their own 13, into the wind, McDuff drops to pass, throws incomplete once again

4th and 12 at their own 13, 2:53 to play in the game, Rusk has to go for it to stay alive, Rusk calls timeout

After the timeout, Rusk comes out facing 4th and 12 with 2:53 left in the game, down 49-34 to Melissa

McDuff throws to the middle, pass tipped away, Melissa takes over on downs at the Rusk 13

Score not going to indicate how close this one really was

2:47 to play in the game

Melissa fumbles the snap on 1st and 10 from the Rusk 13, QB recovers and loses yardage

2nd and 13 the Rusk 16, QB throws into the end zone but has it knocked away

3rd and 13 at the Rusk 16 under 2 minutes to play in the game, QB throws another incomplete pass with 1:55 to play

4th and 13 at the Rusk 16, Cardinals throw a screen pass that goes for a touchdown, penalty flag on the play appears to be against Rusk

Melissa up 55-34 before the point after attempt - penalty is in fact facemask against Rusk so touchdown is good

Melissa PAT attempt upcoming and PAT is good

Melissa 56, Rusk 34

Rusk 1st and 10 at their own 25, McDuff sacked on the play losing 4 yards

2nd and 14 at the Rusk 21, 1:30 to play, screen pass picks up 9 yards

3rd and 5 at the Rusk 30, 0:40 left in the game, pass deep down the left sideline for a first down, late flag

0:25 left to play, the flag is waived off and the pass was caught out of bounds

4th and 5 at the Rusk 30, McDuff rolls right throws deep and the pass is intercepted

Congrats Melissa on a great win

Rusk had a strong season in 2017.  Hancock has done a great job getting those guys to believe they can win each week and he has turned the program around from what it had been under the previous regime.

I have known the kids on this team since they were 4 or 5 years old for the most part and I am so happy for those kids and their families.  Great things are on the horizon if this program continues to trend upwards! Glad to see that the town has gotten back behind the program and the kids and I am excited to see what they do in 2018!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, uniballer said:

Personal foul penalty means Melissa will kick from the Rusk 45, touchback with 1:46 left in the game

Melissa is going to face Gilmer next week, should be a fun one

Melissa has a ton of sophomores, these guys are not going away for a while!

They're bumping up to D1 after this year aren't they?

1 minute ago, uniballer said:

Rusk had a strong season in 2017.  Hancock has done a great job getting those guys to believe they can win each week and he has turned the program around from what it had been under the previous regime.

I have known the kids on this team since they were 4 or 5 years old for the most part and I am so happy for those kids and their families.  Great things are on the horizon if this program continues to trend upwards! Glad to see that the town has gotten back behind the program and the kids and I am excited to see what they do in 2018!

One thing that I saw from an outsider was that they had some discipline and sportsmanship. That seemed to be lacking some in the past few years. That also may be in part to some of the kids and having parents that back it I am not for sure. I do know there was some discipline lacking even in the coaching staff in a couple of the previous regimes. 

Rusk had a good year, maybe the best team I’ve seen Rusk put on the field in along time. Congrats to both teams on a hard fought game, Rusk fought harder than maybe ever in my opinion. Turnovers are a killer, and in the playoffs you need depth. Keep fighting to get better and do it again next year.

51 minutes ago, Cherokee603 said:

Crazy to think before 2000 Celina was 2a which technically would be 3a now, just shows how much they are growing

Heck Melissa didn't have a high school until 2004 and they were 2a and now has passed Celina number wise for the short term.