Caddo Mills vs Gilmer

micotrav

Caddo Mills Foxes vs Gilmer Buckeyes  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

• Caddo Mills Foxes
    • Gimer Buckeyes

4 hours ago, eagle34 said:

How in the world did 4-6 Caddo Mills make it to the 2nd round? This will be by far, Gilmers easiest game this year. Looks like the Bucs have a favorable draw on their side of the bracket.

I watched the Foxes play District Champion Wills Point last Friday.  Caddo Mills has a good team.  They started the season against 11-0 Mount Vernon and lost 27-14.  They beat a decent Lone Oak team by 9.  Defeated Edgewood 34-20.  They had Celina on the ropes, led the Bobcats 21-14 at the half, tied 28 all in the third before Celina pulled off the win 34-28 in the final period.  Their schedule included Melissa 10-1, Aubrey 8-3, Celina 8-3,  Mount Vernon 11-0, Farmersville 7-4, Edgewood 9-2 and then had to beat Bonham by 15.  The Foxes deserve to be here, they are a solid, very well coached and physical football team. 

One big hard-running tailback, another smaller scatback with quick and great moves.  The QB is a ball handler and can run as well.  Good sized and well coached offensive line, these guys can block.  The defensive side of the ball is above average.  Linebackers will hit you hard and DL penetrate with strength and finesse. Corners are much better than average.  

And this is not my team. Gilmer most definitely has the advantage athletically, and if it is a blowout, it would not be a surprise to anyone.  However, beware of the Fox. That is all I have to say. 

49 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

This will be the easiest game the Buckeyes have seen since homecoming. 

As battered as we are we could certainly use an easier game.  It would be really nice to put Caddo Mills away relatively early.  The thing is, though, we have made it a habit of letting teams back into the game when we should be putting our foot on their throats and throttling them.

Caddo Mills could cause us some problems if we don't play inspired football for 48 minutes.  We "should" win handily, but who knows what will happen when we "relax" instead of continuously attack like we should.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, blackflag79 said:

As battered as we are we could certainly use an easier game.  It would be really nice to put Caddo Mills away relatively early.  The thing is, though, we have made it a habit of letting teams back into the game when we should be putting our foot on their throats and throttling them.

Caddo Mills could cause us some problems if we don't play inspired football for 48 minutes.  We "should" win handily, but who knows what will happen when we "relax" instead of continuously attack like we should.

Oh I understand the concept, but this is literally the easiest game y'all have had, possibly all year. If Gilmer finds a way to lose this one, well, I'm not sure what I will say. It would definitely be easy to say the team has regressed since the season's start if it were to happen. 

1 minute ago, H3llR4z0r said:

Oh I understand the concept, but this is literally the easiest game y'all have had, possibly all year. If Gilmer finds a way to lose this one, well, I'm not sure what I will say. It would definitely be easy to say the team has regressed since the season's start if it were to happen. 

We have a bad habit of making games much tougher than they should be, though.  Our defense has struggled mightily at times.  It looks like we have worked most of it out, but we still have a lot of trouble with teams that have a power running game.  We are getting more stops the last few weeks, but we still had periods of regression, and that worries me.  If we can continue to improve defensively we will always have a good chance at winning because of our offense.  If we ever get BOTH sides of the ball working at the same time, this team is fully capable of making it to the finals.  It is what is, however, and I'm not sure that will happen.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, oldbuckeye#62 said:

defense needs to tackle the runner with the ball and quit just grabbing at the ball. I know they are wanting a takeaway but letting the runner get 10 more yards is hurting us stop him first and then go for the ball. Just watched the game again on youtube and it was pretty clear. 

I've noticed that, too.  They don't seem to be wrapping up like they used to.  Poor form will let the runner get more yards, and even allow them to break it occasionally.  Tackle the runner first, and if you stand him up let the help grab at the ball.  First one there is the one that is to tackle the runner.  Our defense's players don't seem to be as "stout" as they have been in the past.  They've allowed teams to push them around quite a bit.  They play better when the focus is to wrap up.  If you're undersized like we are, you have to tackle low, not high.  They bounce off a lot because they are tackling too high.

13 hours ago, micotrav said:

I watched the Foxes play District Champion Wills Point last Friday.  Caddo Mills has a good team.  They started the season against 11-0 Mount Vernon and lost 27-14.  They beat a decent Lone Oak team by 9.  Defeated Edgewood 34-20.  They had Celina on the ropes, led the Bobcats 21-14 at the half, tied 28 all in the third before Celina pulled off the win 34-28 in the final period.  Their schedule included Melissa 10-1, Aubrey 8-3, Celina 8-3,  Mount Vernon 11-0, Farmersville 7-4, Edgewood 9-2 and then had to beat Bonham by 15.  The Foxes deserve to be here, they are a solid, very well coached and physical football team. 

One big hard-running tailback, another smaller scatback with quick and great moves.  The QB is a ball handler and can run as well.  Good sized and well coached offensive line, these guys can block.  The defensive side of the ball is above average.  Linebackers will hit you hard and DL penetrate with strength and finesse. Corners are much better than average.  

And this is not my team. Gilmer most definitely has the advantage athletically, and if it is a blowout, it would not be a surprise to anyone.  However, beware of the Fox. That is all I have to say. 

Micro, I know you are being politically correct. Couple of those teams are 3A Division 2. This would be a competitive game with another Upshur County school - Harmony. Based on the scores above the Eagles would probably be favored over Caddo. As far as the big boys in Upshur County THE GILMER BUCKEYES, not a chance.....

Gilmer defensively has been in position at times to make plays, and just hasn't made them.  I agree, focus on form tackling.  But defense is more clearly effected by intensity and enthusiasm than offense.  Gilme has played inspired, intense defense at times this year, only to have an emotional letdown.  I would love to see the intensity throughout.

24 took no snaps at running back in the Diboll game.  When Gilmer took Webb out, Montgomery (21) played a series.  I thought they would go with Bates (3).  I didn't keep up with his snaps on the defensive side of the football.  He did score the 2 point conversion on the PAT.  

If Gilmer can continue to play with fire in their belly, I like their chances.

12 hours ago, H3llR4z0r said:

Setting us up for failure  r ya?

10 hours ago, Maineman1988 said:

Setting us up for failure  r ya?

No I really think it's going to be the easiest team Gilmer has played. Look at Gilmer's schedule lol. Even LC was supposed to be good. I went to that game, and Gilmer played super sloppy on offense, and still hung 60 on a LC team that had just beat THE GREAT MELISSA and Celina. 

Gilmers defense is rated a c- or d+ there offense averages about a B- and they will still win by 12 points by end of the game. Now next week if Rusk wins that might be a whole different game. All these 3rd and 4th place teams have to be weeded out, back in my day they would not even be in the playoffs they would be on the floor playing roundball. Lets face it a lot of want to be's playing right now but are slowly getting weeded out.

4 minutes ago, oldbuckeye#62 said:

Gilmers defense is rated a c- or d+ there offense averages about a B- and they will still win by 12 points by end of the game. Now next week if Rusk wins that might be a whole different game. All these 3rd and 4th place teams have to be weeded out, back in my day they would not even be in the playoffs they would be on the floor playing roundball. Lets face it a lot of want to be's playing right now but are slowly getting weeded out.

But it makes Mommy and Daddies happy so it's here to stay. Won't be long before every team gets in and be awarded at least one win.

13 hours ago, H3llR4z0r said:

No I really think it's going to be the easiest team Gilmer has played. Look at Gilmer's schedule lol. Even LC was supposed to be good. I went to that game, and Gilmer played super sloppy on offense, and still hung 60 on a LC team that had just beat THE GREAT MELISSA and Celina. 

Why do you have to be sarcastic? Like seriously do you not believe that teams can get a lot better of the course of the football season? Maybe Caddo Mills and Melissa are better than you think or would dare give them credit for. Melissa has so many kids that had NO varsity experience starting this year. 

11 minutes ago, RedRed said:

Why do you have to be sarcastic? Like seriously do you not believe that teams can get a lot better of the course of the football season? Maybe Caddo Mills and Melissa are better than you think or would dare give them credit for. Melissa has so many kids that had NO varsity experience starting this year. 

Lol I do it just to mess with you buddy. I mean, both teams could be. I'm just giving my honest opinion. Melissa beats Rusk, and my opinion will sway. I'm just not a believer when it comes to that district and that side of the bracket. Can you really blame me?

8 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

Lol I do it just to mess with you buddy. I mean, both teams could be. I'm just giving my honest opinion. Melissa beats Rusk, and my opinion will sway. I'm just not a believer when it comes to that district and that side of the bracket. Can you really blame me?

No lol, I'm just jacking around also. This week is dragging and emotions tend to flare up lol.