Texas officials “frown” on bowl game with A&M

Mr. P

Texas officials “frown” on bowl game with A&M  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Should UT and A&M play in a bowl game?

• Yes, both sides need to stop being babies and play each other.
    • No, neither side gains anything from resurrecting this rivalry.

Texas officials “will frown” on possible bowl game with Texas A&M: http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/11/20/texas-officials-frown-on-bowl-matchup-with-texas-am/

It’s rivalry week in college football, which means we once again must address the lost series between the Texas Longhorns and Texas A&M Aggies. When Texas A&M moved from the Big 12 to the SEC, a rivalry on the field was killed off, but the rivalry still lives on between power players on both sides and the topic of conversation has never died down between the two programs and their fans. And as much as people on both sides will sometimes argue they don’t need the other, we all know it would be great to see the Longhorns and Aggies take the field once again.

With the season winding down and Texas and Texas A&M each heading to not-so-glamorous bowl destinations, the possibility of a Texas Bowl for the ages has been popping up to some degree. A Texas Bowl featuring Texas and Texas A&M would make for the best Texas Bowl in the history of the bowl game, but one Texas beta reporter suggests that would not be a welcomed bowl pairing for some Texas officials.

Big surprise.

Texas officials have always seemed wary of reviving the series with Texas A&M, which makes sense from the Texas point of view. To Longhorn officials, a rivalry with Texas A&M does more to help those in College Station than it does in Austin. There is some elitism in that line of thinking, but there is also some truth to that as well. But that is the risk of an in-state rivalry for any program in the country.

As a fan from a neutral point of view, I can say the day Texas and Texas A&M work out an arrangement to play football against each other again will be a proud day for the sport of college football. It would be a shame to see it have to happen through a bowl game on a neutral field, but if that’s what it takes to make it happen, so be it. Other than the Cotton Bowl, which is not an option this year, the Texas Bowl in Houston would be a pretty good spot to make it happen.

It definitely doesn’t need to be a bowl game though I agree. Bring this game back when it means something... not when A&M won’t have a coach and Half the players for both teams are more worried about the free stuff they get than the game itself. 

It’ll be a while before u know what Bowl Texas will go to.  I think Davis has an agenda and it’s to make sure the matchup is played from Texas’ side.  We all know if the opportunity arises that the sec will block it anyway.  They will protect their brand.  If Texas beats the snot out of aTm it allows Texas to regain a bigger foothold on the Texas recruits making it harder for the sec schools to land them..,,specifically Bama and LSU. 

I personally think it would be a good game

17 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

As a fan I want to see the game. I also understand not wanting the rivalry to be resurrected in a meaningless bowl game. 

Regardless I don't see this game being played until Texas gets a permanent AD. Which should be this spring. 

That may be the exact way the series is resurrected.  Have a highly rated bowl game that creates a bunch of revenue for both schools.  Then jerruh can offer to host it every Labor Day weekend

9 minutes ago, WETSU said:

It definitely doesn’t need to be a bowl game though I agree. Bring this game back when it means something... not when A&M won’t have a coach and Half the players for both teams are more worried about the free stuff they get than the game itself. 

The bowl game won’t happen, but I see you’re getting your excuses in now in case that woodshedding does happen

2 hours ago, JustAFan11 said:

As a fan I want to see the game. I also understand not wanting the rivalry to be resurrected in a meaningless bowl game. 

Regardless I don't see this game being played until Texas gets a permanent AD. Which should be this spring. 

I think Texas would beat A&M right now.  They have the D and a good enough offense “at times”

1 minute ago, MavGrad99 said:

I think Texas would beat A&M right now.  They have the D and a good enough offense “at times”

A&M sounds like the exact same team... just with better special teams play. I agree it’s a very close game though. 50/50 just depends on who is more focused and makes a play. 

10 minutes ago, WETSU said:

A&M sounds like the exact same team... just with better special teams play. I agree it’s a very close game though. 50/50 just depends on who is more focused and makes a play. 

I think I like Herman with 2-3 weeks to prepare more than I do Sumlin