GUNTER vs HOLLIDAY

blueflu

3 minutes ago, westtexas said:

You will have to fill me in on that one. I do not recall Holliday and Gunter playing in recent history.

Thats correct they haven't played recently. Closest was in 2012 when Holliday lost to Tolar to play Gunter. 

Boys, a little lesson as to why you cannot compare scores:

Holliday 25, Jacksboro 21

Harmony 74, Edgewood 20

Holliday 23, Edgewood 20

Jacksboro 42, Harmony 26

If someone saw that Harmony beat Edgewood as bad as they did, then saw that Holliday barely beat Edgewood, they might conclude that Harmony would stomp Jacksboro. It is all about matchups.

To make this even more remarkable, the Holliday-Jacksboro was not as close as the score indicates.

No way this will be a tuff match. Gunter will win easily. Just watched Holiday and they are not impressive. 2 is fast but that's it. Edgewood gave them all they could handle. Two stupid pf penalties hurt Edgewood. Good calls not the refs fault. Edgewood needs to work on their discipline.

4 minutes ago, 3rdand5 said:

No way this will be a tuff match. Gunter will win easily. Just watched Holiday and they are not impressive. 2 is fast but that's it. Edgewood gave them all they could handle. Two stupid pf penalties hurt Edgewood. Good calls not the refs fault. Edgewood needs to work on their discipline.

I do not think it will be close either. But you never know, Holliday can be a very tough out. It is a tradition thing with them.

And Jones is not the only one who is fast. Boyd and Patterson are also speedy - Boyd may be faster. In fact, he is the one that done a lot of the damage against yall tonight.

You guys are trying to soften us up.   Won't work.  Especially since those that matter won't be checking this forum.   Since I have been looking for this 3rd round showdown I have seen video and what I saw is hard nosed football similar to Gunter.  Holliday beat Jacksboro who took down a region finalist pick in a convincing fashion tonight.  See yall in Springtown.

Besides, I thought Edgewood was pretty good?

23 minutes ago, 3rdand5 said:

It's not us I just went to the game. Jones hurt them. He had one td called back.

Yes Sir, he had that td called back, and he also had a fumble deep in Edgewood territory that ended a promising drive, and Keyes had a long pass reception called back that would have set Holliday up 1st and 10 inside the Edgewood 15. Stuff happens. But Edgewood was so focused on stopping Jones that Boyd gained a lot of yards of them tonight - as did Patterson. As I said, two weeks ago, Holliday plays tough defense but their offense is hindered because they do not have a passing game since they lost their star quarterback (head coach's son). You saw that tonight.

20 minutes ago, GTAlumnus said:

You guys are trying to soften us up.   Won't work.  Especially since those that matter won't be checking this forum.   Since I have been looking for this 3rd round showdown I have seen video and what I saw is hard nosed football similar to Gunter.  Holliday beat Jacksboro who took down a region finalist pick in a convincing fashion tonight.  See yall in Springtown.

Besides, I thought Edgewood was pretty good?

GTAlumnus, I have been looking forward to Gunter and Holliday for a long time - when I realized that Holliday would be winning their district. It will be fun. Since I am not a Jacksboro fan, and they will probably win again next week, then more than likely I will be pulling for whoever wins this game the rest of the way. Looking forward to a hard-hitting, physical game.

I've got Gunter in this one, 35-14 - IF Gunter takes care of the ball.  I think this will be each team's toughest offensive test as both defenses are stingy here - and the best each has faced.  However, against offenses that average over 30 points per game, Holliday is allowing a few more : 17.2 ppg to these offenses while Gunter is holding 30+ offenses to 4 ppg.  I'd give Gunter the win on defense.  Neither team has played a defense like each other yet, but against teams that allow fewer than 21 points per game, Holliday is averaging 40.5 ppg while Gunter is averaging 38 ppg, though the samples size is just 2 games for Holliday and 3 for Gunter.  Offenses seem pretty similar on paper. 

There are two common opponents here and the first would be Cooper.  A district opponent for Gunter and a round 1 playoff matchup for Holliday.  Gunter beat Cooper in district play 50-0 while Holliday beat them in the playoffs 48-0.  This seems pretty similar, but looking into the games, and the Gunter game was a lot bigger of a blowout.  In the Holliday game, they were up 17-0 at halftime, 34-0 after 3 quarters, and they scored twice more in the 4th to make it 48-0.  Gunter was up 29-0 after the first quarter, and they scored their 43rd point with over 5 minutes remaining in the first half, and at that point put in backups and teams agreed to let the clock run for the remainder of the game.  Gunter backups scored Gunter's 50th point with over 10 remaining in the 3rd and that was the end of all scoring, so two pretty different games with a similar final. 

The other common opponent is Henrietta.  These two games are very close.  Holliday trailed Henrietta by 3 at the half and scored 27 unanswered points in the second half to win 34-10.  Gunter led by 4 at half and scored 28 unanswered points in the second half to win 45-13.   

I know a lot of people hate this kind of comparison, and I understand why.  I don't necessarily buy into it either, but it is information, and I like information, so take it with a grain of salt if you don't put much stock in common matchups and things like that.

I'm looking for the second first-time matchup for Gunter and an opponent in as many weeks.  Should be a good one! 

Gunter.  The Tigers are dominating again this year, and they are young.  Be very surprised if they don't end the season with back to back State Championships.  Gunter has one of the smoothest offenses I've seen since Highland Park's Class 5A performance a few weeks ago.  Defensively the Tigers have allowed only 59 points in 12 games.  They pursue and stalk, pursue and stalk and then pounce and devour like a Tiger in the wild.  I'll give Holliday six points as a gesture of goodwill. 

Gunter 40 Holliday 6

I realize in my earlier post (the seventh post) I may have suggested that I do not like score comparisons, but actually I do like them. They are interesting. I do not think they are helpful here though.

The reason you cannot really compare Gunter and Holliday’s game with Cooper is because of the style of offenses. You cannot compare, for example, a ball-control power I offense with a no-huddle spread offense. See the Wall-Cisco-Eastland games for an example. Gunter has tons more speed and plays a lot faster than Holliday, while Holliday plays a ball-control type of a game. Holliday scoring 49 on teams is equivalent to other, faster-paced offenses scoring 70. Holliday likes to pound you and wear you down, so they will a lot of times get bigger chunks of yardage in the fourth quarter than they will in the first. If Holliday gets into the 40s on you, then it is a beating. That is just their style of play.

The Henrietta comparison does not work because Henrietta and Holliday are huge rivals. Comparing this game would be kind of like comparing the 2016 Gunter and S&S game. S&S got up for Gunter unlike any other team they played, and at halftime of that game it was 0-0. In the third quarter, like the second play Gunter ran, their runningback fumbled and S&S picked it up and ran it back for a td. Suddenly, S&S led Gunter 7-0 in the third quarter. Gunter came back with 36 points to win 36-7, but nevertheless, S&S played tough and they usually always do against Gunter. Henrietta does the same thing with Holliday. Henrietta can go 1-9, but along as the one win is against Holliday, it is a successful season. If anything, Holliday comes out of this comparison looking better than Gunter, because Gunter does not have to compete with this mentality.

As for the matchup, this is a bad one for Holliday. Besides maybe Iowa Park, Gunter will be the fastest team Holliday will face. The only chance Holliday has is if they can go on long, sustained drives and limit the number of times Gunter has the ball. If they can do this, then their defense only has to come up with a few stops – which Holliday can do. However, Holliday will be hard-pressed to accomplish an offensive gameplan like this without a passing game. Up to this point, Holliday has gotten by because they have not faced a team athletic enough to stop the Jones-Boyd-Patterson combination. Gunter does have the athletes. So, I do not see Holliday getting much offense at all. I think they will be fortunate to score a touchdown, and the lack of offense will mean the defense will be on the field a lot. That is the worst thing that can happen for Holliday.

When I first realized these two could possibly be meeting, I thought Holliday would play Gunter within three touchdowns. I do not think that anymore. Holliday may get 7 on the board because Jones or Boyd is bound to bust a big play, but that is most likely be it. Gunter will probably score in the 40s. Microtav, I think, has it pegged pretty close.

Just my two cents…

1 hour ago, westtexas said:

I realize in my earlier post (the seventh post) I may have suggested that I do not like score comparisons, but actually I do like them. They are interesting. I do not think they are helpful here though.

The reason you cannot really compare Gunter and Holliday’s game with Cooper is because of the style of offenses. You cannot compare, for example, a ball-control power I offense with a no-huddle spread offense. See the Wall-Cisco-Eastland games for an example. Gunter has tons more speed and plays a lot faster than Holliday, while Holliday plays a ball-control type of a game. Holliday scoring 49 on teams is equivalent to other, faster-paced offenses scoring 70. Holliday likes to pound you and wear you down, so they will a lot of times get bigger chunks of yardage in the fourth quarter than they will in the first. If Holliday gets into the 40s on you, then it is a beating. That is just their style of play.

The Henrietta comparison does not work because Henrietta and Holliday are huge rivals. Comparing this game would be kind of like comparing the 2016 Gunter and S&S game. S&S got up for Gunter unlike any other team they played, and at halftime of that game it was 0-0. In the third quarter, like the second play Gunter ran, their runningback fumbled and S&S picked it up and ran it back for a td. Suddenly, S&S led Gunter 7-0 in the third quarter. Gunter came back with 36 points to win 36-7, but nevertheless, S&S played tough and they usually always do against Gunter. Henrietta does the same thing with Holliday. Henrietta can go 1-9, but along as the one win is against Holliday, it is a successful season. If anything, Holliday comes out of this comparison looking better than Gunter, because Gunter does not have to compete with this mentality.

As for the matchup, this is a bad one for Holliday. Besides maybe Iowa Park, Gunter will be the fastest team Holliday will face. The only chance Holliday has is if they can go on long, sustained drives and limit the number of times Gunter has the ball. If they can do this, then their defense only has to come up with a few stops – which Holliday can do. However, Holliday will be hard-pressed to accomplish an offensive gameplan like this without a passing game. Up to this point, Holliday has gotten by because they have not faced a team athletic enough to stop the Jones-Boyd-Patterson combination. Gunter does have the athletes. So, I do not see Holliday getting much offense at all. I think they will be fortunate to score a touchdown, and the lack of offense will mean the defense will be on the field a lot. That is the worst thing that can happen for Holliday.

When I first realized these two could possibly be meeting, I thought Holliday would play Gunter within three touchdowns. I do not think that anymore. Holliday may get 7 on the board because Jones or Boyd is bound to bust a big play, but that is most likely be it. Gunter will probably score in the 40s. Microtav, I think, has it pegged pretty close.

Just my two cents…

Good insight, though I'd object to the notion that Henrietta gets up more for a rival district game than they do for a playoff game - against the defending state champions who knocked them out in the prior year in a game in which their best player got hurt. Every team they've played could have gone 1-9 and been happy that their one win was against the defending state champions.  We could go on and on about this.  I gave my take, you have yours, and it's a good one.