Jump to content

GUNTER vs HOLLIDAY


blueflu
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, westtexas said:

The reason you cannot really compare Gunter and Holliday’s game with Cooper is because of the style of offenses. You cannot compare, for example, a ball-control power I offense with a no-huddle spread offense. See the Wall-Cisco-Eastland games for an example. Gunter has tons more speed and plays a lot faster than Holliday, while Holliday plays a ball-control type of a game. Holliday scoring 49 on teams is equivalent to other, faster-paced offenses scoring 70. Holliday likes to pound you and wear you down, so they will a lot of times get bigger chunks of yardage in the fourth quarter than they will in the first. If Holliday gets into the 40s on you, then it is a beating. That is just their style of play.

I'd also add that Gunter doesn't run the spread.  They run a ball-control type offense as well.  Gunter is a pound you and wear you down offense as well.  The problem is, there's nothing you can do when a defense can't stop you from scoring in 3 plays per drive because you are just that much better than the defense you are facing.    Against a quality defense, Gunter's offense is very much ball-control oriented - as intended.  Very much wear you down style of an offense.  In the Cooper game in particular, that exact same pound you and wear you down offense just looks a lot different when the four main runners for Gunter combined for 19 rushes for 310 yards and 6 touchdowns.  This accounts for the 43-0 score at the 5-minute mark of the second quarter of that game.  The starters didn't play after that.  I can see how it can appear that Gunter runs an up-tempo offense, but you can't slow the game down too much when you're in the end zone every third play.  It's still ball-control offense.  It just looks a lot more up-tempo when you're running for 16.3 yards a pop.

That said, I agree that a ball-control is the way to beat Gunter, and both playoff opponents have had that plan.  It worked for Henrietta in the first half because they were able to convert a lot of 3rd and longs (credit belongs to Henrietta for that).  In the Daingerfield game, Gunter turned the ball over twice in the first half on drives in which they were moving the ball (pound and wear you down style), and that killed them in the first half.  That needs to be cleaned up against a team like Holliday.  Gunter got one back from Daingerfield as well, but Diangerfield was playing a ball-control game as well.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pax makes a great point about Gunter's style of offense.  It is ball control smash mouth all the way, but so many routine runs have broken long the stats would appear to be something different.  Plus Gunter has had a number of big passing plays as the defense put more in the box to stop the run.   If the defense is good the offense is still designed to get 3, 4, 5 yards per run and move the chains.  We didn't have any 70 yard runs against Daingerfield because their defense put up more resistance than most we have faced.

Having said that, I have watched film of Holliday and they also had their share of big plays with their running game and they have a number of players including the QB who can hurt us.  Holliday and Gunter have no history in football, but if you can't get up to play the defending state champions you don't have a pulse.  Meanwhile Gunter is just trying to advance against whoever the opponent is.

I am predicting a Gunter win by 2-3 scores, so it will likely be nip and tuck for a while at least.   Two good programs going at it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In the chat log for the Henrietta vs Holliday game, I see a lot of people asking before the game if West was gonna play (#24 QB for Henrietta).  He clearly played some because he threw a TD pass in the first quarter, but I see in the chat that he went down due to injury.  I saw another poster saying it appeared he was playing through some pain in the Holliday game, was in and out seemingly trying to gut it out and exited for good in the 3rd quarter.  Can anyone confirm This?

Great player.  One of the gutsiest performances I've seen against Gunter in round 1.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pax said:

In the chat log for the Henrietta vs Holliday game, I see a lot of people asking before the game if West was gonna play (#24 QB for Henrietta).  He clearly played some because he threw a TD pass in the first quarter, but I see in the chat that he went down due to injury.  I saw another poster saying it appeared he was playing through some pain in the Holliday game, was in and out seemingly trying to gut it out and exited for good in the 3rd quarter.  Can anyone confirm This?

Great player.  One of the gutsiest performances I've seen against Gunter in round 1.

Yes Sir. He played until late fourth quarter. Henrietta pulled him.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Pax said:

Itl'd also add that Gunter doesn't run the spread.  They run a ball-control type offense as well.  Gunter is a pound you and wear you down offense as well.  The problem is, there's nothing you can do when a defense can't stop you from scoring in 3 plays per drive because you are just that much better than the defense you are facing.    Against a quality defense, Gunter's offense is very much ball-control oriented - as intended.  Very much wear you down style of an offense.  In the Cooper game in particular, that exact same pound you and wear you down offense just looks a lot different when the four main runners for Gunter combined for 19 rushes for 310 yards and 6 touchdowns.  This accounts for the 43-0 score at the 5-minute mark of the second quarter of that game.  The starters didn't play after that.  I can see how it can appear that Gunter runs an up-tempo offense, but you can't slow the game down too much when you're in the end zone every third play.  It's still ball-control offense.  It just looks a lot more up-tempo when you're running for 16.3 yards a pop.

That said, I agree that a ball-control is the way to beat Gunter, and both playoff opponents have had that plan.  It worked for Henrietta in the first half because they were able to convert a lot of 3rd and longs (credit belongs to Henrietta for that).  In the Daingerfield game, Gunter turned the ball over twice in the first half on drives in which they were moving the ball (pound and wear you down style), and that killed them in the first half.  That needs to be cleaned up against a team like Holliday.  Gunter got one back from Daingerfield as well, but Diangerfield was playing a ball-control game as well.    

I never said Gunter run the spread. To make my point, I raised an extreme example of a power I team stacking up against a spread team. The point of my post IIs that Gunter has a much faster offense than Holliday does, thus comparing each one's game against Cooper is not comparing apples to apples. And Gunter does play faster than Holliday. For instance, Holliday will run the play clock close to 0. I havnt seen Gunter doing that. As for your comment on my remarks regarding the Holliday-Henrietta game, I do not agree with you. Holliday and Henrietta are two towns 35 miles a part. They play each other every year, most of the time they are in the same district, and most years there is something at stake. So not only are they natural, competitive rivals, but they are also very familiar with each other. Every year, these two know what to expect from each other and they know how to beat each other. It is very similar to Gunter and Pilot Point, especially back when they were in the same district. Or the old Pilot-Celina rivalry that used to exist would be a good example to convey what I am getting at. That is a far different animal than meeting a team in the playoffs. I am sure Henrietta did get up for Gunter, especially since Gunter was the team that knocked them out last year. However, I will guarantee you that Henrietta playing Holliday is a far different mindset than Henrietta playing Gunter. We will have to agree to disagree on that one.

Comparing scores against common opponents is interesting and can sometimes be helpful. I do not believe that it is helpful in this case. And that of course is my main point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, blueflu said:

can guinrantee HERO isnist scared.  Have great tradition and expect to win.  Tigers will have to play well.

That Is the one thing that makes me think the game could possibly be close. I have seen Holliday be a tough out against teams that outclassed them. Most notably Is the 99 game against Boyd. Still think this one Is going to be a blowout. In fact, I am going to go to another game Instead of this one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/24/2017 at 11:20 PM, westtexas said:

GTAlumnus, I have been looking forward to Gunter and Holliday for a long time - when I realized that Holliday would be winning their district. It will be fun. Since I am not a Jacksboro fan, and they will probably win again next week, then more than likely I will be pulling for whoever wins this game the rest of the way. Looking forward to a hard-hitting, physical game.

You don’t mind if we play the game against Jacksboro before you call them a winner do you? We can play a little bit of football....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, westtexas said:

I never said Gunter run the spread. To make my point, I raised an extreme example of a power I team stacking up against a spread team. The point of my post IIs that Gunter has a much faster offense than Holliday does, thus comparing each one's game against Cooper is not comparing apples to apples. And Gunter does play faster than Holliday. For instance, Holliday will run the play clock close to 0. I havnt seen Gunter doing that. As for your comment on my remarks regarding the Holliday-Henrietta game, I do not agree with you. Holliday and Henrietta are two towns 35 miles a part. They play each other every year, most of the time they are in the same district, and most years there is something at stake. So not only are they natural, competitive rivals, but they are also very familiar with each other. Every year, these two know what to expect from each other and they know how to beat each other. It is very similar to Gunter and Pilot Point, especially back when they were in the same district. Or the old Pilot-Celina rivalry that used to exist would be a good example to convey what I am getting at. That is a far different animal than meeting a team in the playoffs. I am sure Henrietta did get up for Gunter, especially since Gunter was the team that knocked them out last year. However, I will guarantee you that Henrietta playing Holliday is a far different mindset than Henrietta playing Gunter. We will have to agree to disagree on that one.

Comparing scores against common opponents is interesting and can sometimes be helpful. I do not believe that it is helpful in this case. And that of course is my main point.

gotta say that I read your post and laughed... just last week I was in Henrietta doing some work and went to eat. Ended up eating with 6 oldtimers and struck up a conversation. they started talking about high school football and I sat for 30 minutes and listened to them talk about how they dislike holliday so much and how they hateed losing to them this year... Having lived in the area all my life I know this rivalry well and it goes beyond the high school sports teams... believe you are spot on with your comments lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 7:07 PM, HTaylor said:

You don’t mind if we play the game against Jacksboro before you call them a winner do you? We can play a little bit of football....

HeeHee. I do not doubt that New Diana can play a little bit of football, but you will soon find out that Jacksboro can also play a little bit of football.

Back before the playoffs started, there was a thread asking for thoughts about who would win this region, and I posted that Gunter was easily the best team, and after that, my rankings were 2. Holliday, 3. Harmony, 4. Jacksboro, 5. New Diana (Daingerfield). I see that I had Harmony and Jacksboro backwards, but after two rounds of play, I see nothing else that I would change. I said that I am very familiar with the teams that make up Districts 5 and 6.  I have been watching these same teams play for more than 30 years. I also said that I am not familiar with the teams that make up Districts 7 and 8 - which includes New Diana. So, my statement about Jacksboro beating New Diana is not personal in any way. It is my opinion that Jacksboro is the third best team in this region behind Gunter and Holliday, and based upon what I know about Jacksboro and the very little that I know about New Diana, I believe Jacksboro will beat New Diana this week. We will see. I hope I am wrong and New Diana wins though. I would love to be wrong on this pick.

Pulling for a New Diana win.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good season Holliday. They gutted it out, but just had too many injuries, and they finally ran out of gas. Yes, Holliday is very classy. When I was I in high school, we played Holliday in the playoffs. They were one of the best teams that we ever played, as far as being classy and playing with sportsmanship. I really was impressed and have followed them ever since. It is good to see them get back. They have a bright future.

Good luck Gunter the rest of the way. Yall should win the region next week. I am pulling for yall.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...