Melissa Vs Gilmer

RedRed

1 minute ago, RedRed said:

Gift wrapped it huh? More like Melissa wore them out and stripped the ball, Go watch the game. I just wonder what the excuse will be after Melissa wins friday? 

Lol, it's simply a term. No matter how you look at it, they didn't take care of the ball very well. Gilmer ain't gonna do the same.

First off have to say that I have signed a new build contract on a home in Melissa within the past couple months so I now have a vested interest in the Cardinals and have attended their past 2 playoff games. I'm moving from Flower Mound zoned to Argyle HS and have attended most of the Argyle playoff games in the past 10 years, so I have seen Gilmer on multiple occasions. I have great respect for the Buckeye program. I also had the fortune to see that 2014 Gilmer team at Jerry World and think that was one of the better TX small school teams I've ever seen.

With that said if any Gilmer fan thinks they are getting anything close to the past 3 Melissa teams they have witnessed they are nuts. Yes, Gilmer did outscore those teams 178-6 but those Melissa teams were 4-7, 1-9 and 8-4..this years version is 11-1 and think if not the first game jitters from a green Soph QB would be 12-0. IMO if Melissa played Liberty from week 3 on would have won by a wide margin (probably not 60-7 like Gilmer did ). Look at the Cards results against Celina during the past 3 years. They lost all 3 by at least 5 TDs and got outscored 136-27. This year completely different story as Melissa rolled 35-14 and they were clearly the more physical and much more athletic team. Celina may be down a bit from past years but so is Gilmer. You do not surrender 406 points in 12 games unless you have some problems on the defensive side of the ball no matter who you have played.

I personally think Gilmer must be favored to win by a small margin, but Melissa is loaded with offensive weapons (as is Gilmer) and would be shocked if either team scores less than 30 or if either team wins by more than 14. Should be a great game at Mesquite Memorial under the 'Tel Aviv tower' as I call it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Texski said:

First off have to say that I have signed a new build contract on a home in Melissa within the past couple months so I now have a vested interest in the Cardinals and have attended their past 2 playoff games. I'm moving from Flower Mound zoned to Argyle HS and have attended most of the Argyle playoff games in the past 10 years, so I have seen Gilmer on multiple occasions. I have great respect for the Buckeye program. I also had the fortune to see that 2014 Gilmer team at Jerry World and think that was one of the better TX small school teams I've ever seen.

With that said if any Gilmer fan thinks they are getting anything close to the past 3 Melissa teams they have witnessed they are nuts. Yes, Gilmer did outscore those teams 178-6 but those Melissa teams were 4-7, 1-9 and 8-4..this years version is 11-1 and think if not the first game jitters from a green Soph QB would be 12-0. IMO if Melissa played Liberty from week 3 on would have won by a wide margin (probably not 60-7 like Gilmer did ). Look at the Cards results against Celina during the past 3 years. They lost all 3 by at least 5 TDs and got outscored 136-27. This year completely different story as Melissa rolled 35-14 and they were clearly the more physical and much more athletic team. Celina may be down a bit from past years but so is Gilmer. You do not surrender 406 points in 12 games unless you have some problems on the defensive side of the ball no matter who you have played.

I personally think Gilmer must be favored to win by a small margin, but Melissa is loaded with offensive weapons (as is Gilmer) and would be shocked if either team scores less than 30 or if either team wins by more than 14. Should be a great game at Mesquite Memorial under the 'Tel Aviv tower' as I call it.

Maybe the most objective FIRST post in the history of Smaoky.

Well said, 

46 minutes ago, Texski said:

Exactly!!! 

1 hour ago, Texski said:

Welcome to Melissa and well said.

21 minutes ago, Buckeyebaseball21 said:

I don' think this will be a blow out and I believe this game will be a good close game and both teams will definately score in the 30's and 40's; i just hope Gilmer is on the rite side of it and hope both sides leave the game with no serious injuries..Cant wait till Friday Night..

👍

12 hours ago, RedRed said:

Did I say they didn't have discipline? No I didn't. I said he should be suspended, but I'm sure that's not gonna happen being in the 3rd round of the playoffs. Had it been in the regular season maybe. I'm sure at the most they made him run a little or rolled him. Actually to be completely honest I don't care what they do with him, I like watching all you people get butt hurt especially those of you who arnt even from Gilmer yet jumping on the bandwagon for them. I guess if you can't beat them join them huh lmao.

Oh, like you jumping on the Celina bandwagon? 

I'm sure the Gilmer faithful are laughing at your comment about us people not from Gilmer jumping on their bandwagon, especially a Bear. Your statement is even more ludicrous because you have no clue the history between the two schools. Being just 15 miles apart means we are pretty familiar with each other. In fact growing up my mom owned a business in Gilmer. I played softball on a Gilmer team, in a Gilmer league. Went skating on the weekends at the rink. Went to doctors in Gilmer. 

We may have one of the hatest rivalries in all of Texas, but never have I not respected them or rooted for them in the playoffs (well except that 2014 game in Lobo). We've probably played each other more years than you have been alive, so jumping on a bandwagon isn't how I would explain it.

Oh, by the way, I have 3 cousins in the Buckeye band and 2 on the football team. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Golfingnut said:

Oh, like you jumping on the Celina bandwagon? 

I'm sure the Gilmer faithful are laughing at your comment about us people not from Gilmer jumping on their bandwagon, especially a Bear. Your statement is even more ludicrous because you have no clue the history between the two schools. Being just 15 miles apart means we are pretty familiar with each other. In fact growing up my mom owned a business in Gilmer. I played softball on a Gilmer team, in a Gilmer league. Went skating on the weekends at the rink. Went to doctors in Gilmer. 

We may have one of the hatest rivalries in all of Texas, but never have I not respected them or rooted for them in the playoffs (well except that 2014 game in Lobo). We've probably played each other more years than you have been alive, so jumping on a bandwagon isn't how I would explain it.

Oh, by the way, I have 3 cousins in the Buckeye band and 2 on the football team. 

Well congratulations, I didn't need to know all that information. I have learned the two favorite things for East Texas people to do is jump on Gilmers bandwagon and play the banjo lmao 😉

jk

13 minutes ago, RedRed said:

Well congratulations, I didn't need to know all that information. I have learned the two favorite things for East Texas people to do is jump on Gilmers bandwagon and play the banjo lmao 😉

jk

You know I've always wanted to learn the banjo. I can add it to the other 15 instruments I play.

And you need to quit lyao or you won't have one to sit on Friday night.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Golfingnut said:

You know I've always wanted to learn the banjo. I can add it to the other 15 instruments I play.

And you need to quit lyao or you won't have one to sit on Friday night.

Good point lol. I can play drums and that's about it. 

• Like 1

It's not about jumping on a bandwagon, though I will pull for teams that are from around here before teams from afar. Many reasons involving family ties, classmates, so forth. 

But more so, I respect the Gilmer program, and am extremely familiar with their system, and what they're capable of. It's not the same in Gilmer as it is in other places, or at least in years past it hasn't been. 

I won't go into grave detail RedRed, because you probably don't care. Just know that we've been seeing for years what the Buckeyes under the Traylor/Turner coaching staff are capable of. Their system works so well, and they're good at what they do. I understand that Melissa is good, and talented. I promise you I'm not doubting them. But there's only been 2 games the past 2 years that I picked against the Buckeyes (Carthage, Atlanta - homer pick), simply because they are who they are. You can out-athlete them all you want, but you'd better show up to play, because they will. And don't ever think because you have a lead that you've beat their spirits. That's a horrible mistake.

Like I've said, I'm not jumping on a Gilmer bandwagon. We always pull for teams from our district. If our district wins, it does nothing but make us all look better. Brings more money into our schools, brings more publicity, more interest. 

BUT, don't you ever think for one second I don't want to beat Gilmer. 14 years in the making. If we get the same results as last time, I'll say it was worth it. 

11 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

It's not about jumping on a bandwagon, though I will pull for teams that are from around here before teams from afar. Many reasons involving family ties, classmates, so forth. 

But more so, I respect the Gilmer program, and am extremely familiar with their system, and what they're capable of. It's not the same in Gilmer as it is in other places, or at least in years past it hasn't been. 

I won't go into grave detail RedRed, because you probably don't care. Just know that we've been seeing for years what the Buckeyes under the Traylor/Turner coaching staff are capable of. Their system works so well, and they're good at what they do. I understand that Melissa is good, and talented. I promise you I'm not doubting them. But there's only been 2 games the past 2 years that I picked against the Buckeyes (Carthage, Atlanta - homer pick), simply because they are who they are. You can out-athlete them all you want, but you'd better show up to play, because they will. And don't ever think because you have a lead that you've beat their spirits. That's a horrible mistake.

Like I've said, I'm not jumping on a Gilmer bandwagon. We always pull for teams from our district. If our district wins, it does nothing but make us all look better. Brings more money into our schools, brings more publicity, more interest. 

BUT, don't you ever think for one second I don't want to beat Gilmer. 14 years in the making. If we get the same results as last time, I'll say it was worth it. 

Good post 

32 minutes ago, dean1345 said:

Melissa have a bunch of sophomores & juniors that have put up some impressive stats. Next year the will be in the hunt for the ring.

If we were staying in Division 2 I would agree with you. But being that we are going Division 1, I would like to think we could possibly still be a 3rd round team but that’s bout for as it would go.

All trash talking aside, as a Melissa fan here is my honest opinion for this week. I’m of course pulling for Melissa to win, but I just feel that even though our offense is explosive and will make this a competitive game, I also respect the explosiveness of Gilmer’s offense as well. I’m just uneasy with our defense and feel Gilmer will make the necessary 1 or 2 stops needed that Melissa won’t and ultimately win this game by 15. Much love and respect to the x district foes of Gilmer and safe travels for all attending Friday night and God Bless. P.S. I really hope I’m wrong and we pull this off, but I said I would be honest....so there it is folks.

36 minutes ago, NTXballgamer11 said:

If we were staying in Division 2 I would agree with you. But being that we are going Division 1, I would like to think we could possibly still be a 3rd round team but that’s bout for as it would go.

We will be a title contender trust me even in d1. 

2 hours ago, NTXballgamer11 said:

All trash talking aside, as a Melissa fan here is my honest opinion for this week. I’m of course pulling for Melissa to win, but I just feel that even though our offense is explosive and will make this a competitive game, I also respect the explosiveness of Gilmer’s offense as well. I’m just uneasy with our defense and feel Gilmer will make the necessary 1 or 2 stops needed that Melissa won’t and ultimately win this game by 15. Much love and respect to the x district foes of Gilmer and safe travels for all attending Friday night and God Bless. P.S. I really hope I’m wrong and we pull this off, but I said I would be honest....so there it is folks.

Finally, a realist. 

Tell ya what.......the team that gets two more stops in this game may very well end up being the winner.  Sounds to me like two teams looking at each other in the mirror.  One has a slightly better defense than the other, and the other has a more explosive point-scoring offense.  Maybe Melissa needs 2 more stops just to keep even with Gilmer, and maybe Gilmer needs the ball one more time than normal just to have a chance at winning it.  Problem is......what's considered normal for Gilmer, Huh?  I don't even think they know the answer to that one either, LOL.

• LOL! 2