Melissa Vs Gilmer

RedRed

18 hours ago, Golfingnut said:

Oh, like you jumping on the Celina bandwagon? 

I'm sure the Gilmer faithful are laughing at your comment about us people not from Gilmer jumping on their bandwagon, especially a Bear. Your statement is even more ludicrous because you have no clue the history between the two schools. Being just 15 miles apart means we are pretty familiar with each other. In fact growing up my mom owned a business in Gilmer. I played softball on a Gilmer team, in a Gilmer league. Went skating on the weekends at the rink. Went to doctors in Gilmer. 

We may have one of the hatest rivalries in all of Texas, but never have I not respected them or rooted for them in the playoffs (well except that 2014 game in Lobo). We've probably played each other more years than you have been alive, so jumping on a bandwagon isn't how I would explain it.

Oh, by the way, I have 3 cousins in the Buckeye band and 2 on the football team. 

And always a pleasure...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, H3llR4z0r said:

It's not about jumping on a bandwagon, though I will pull for teams that are from around here before teams from afar. Many reasons involving family ties, classmates, so forth. 

But more so, I respect the Gilmer program, and am extremely familiar with their system, and what they're capable of. It's not the same in Gilmer as it is in other places, or at least in years past it hasn't been. 

I won't go into grave detail RedRed, because you probably don't care. Just know that we've been seeing for years what the Buckeyes under the Traylor/Turner coaching staff are capable of. Their system works so well, and they're good at what they do. I understand that Melissa is good, and talented. I promise you I'm not doubting them. But there's only been 2 games the past 2 years that I picked against the Buckeyes (Carthage, Atlanta - homer pick), simply because they are who they are. You can out-athlete them all you want, but you'd better show up to play, because they will. And don't ever think because you have a lead that you've beat their spirits. That's a horrible mistake.

Like I've said, I'm not jumping on a Gilmer bandwagon. We always pull for teams from our district. If our district wins, it does nothing but make us all look better. Brings more money into our schools, brings more publicity, more interest. 

BUT, don't you ever think for one second I don't want to beat Gilmer. 14 years in the making. If we get the same results as last time, I'll say it was worth it. 

The Band Wagon is big enough for all...the Wabbets have been a foe of the Bux for many years...in the end, The Pine Curtain sticks together in the Playoffs...heck, Gladewater gave us the Buckeye tag in 1929...we have been beaten by the best & beaten by the best...best of luck to the Beasts of East Texas who are still in the hunt...and for those who have started Round Ball, there will always be next year and it will all start over

• Like 1

Got to love them wabbits they are a classy team. Good luck Melissa cardinals we know this wont be a blowout but win or lose you did good this year. Good luck to my Buckeyes yall did good too. I didnt think we would be here at the first of the year but you proved me wrong. Safe travels to all and to all a good night.

9 hours ago, regaleagle said:

Tell ya what.......the team that gets two more stops in this game may very well end up being the winner.  Sounds to me like two teams looking at each other in the mirror.  One has a slightly better defense than the other, and the other has a more explosive point-scoring offense.  Maybe Melissa needs 2 more stops just to keep even with Gilmer, and maybe Gilmer needs the ball one more time than normal just to have a chance at winning it.  Problem is......what's considered normal for Gilmer, Huh?  I don't even think they know the answer to that one either, LOL.

Normally, we kick butt & take names...83-3 in District Play since 2001 (damn Carthage-2010, Kilgore-2013 & Pleasant Grove-2017) with 3 State Championships + two additional State Championship appearances, & 17 years in a row in the Playoffs

• Like 1

I don’t get why people want to think that PG vs Celina would be a better game to go to than this one? A. It will be a short game with both teams wanting to keep the ball on the ground. B. Melissa beat Celina for a district championship handily 35-14 ! I’d pick Gilmer/Melissa this year hands down over the PG/Celina game.

• LOL! 1

2 minutes ago, NTXballgamer11 said:

I don’t get why people want to think that PG vs Celina would be a better game to go to than this one? A. It will be a short game with both teams wanting to keep the ball on the ground. B. Melissa beat Celina for a district championship handily 35-14 ! I’d pick Gilmer/Melissa this year hands down over the PG/Celina game.

Absolutely the Melissa vs Gilmer will be a much better game! I don’t get it either. Friday can’t come soon enough!

8 minutes ago, NTXballgamer11 said:

I have a tendency to miss the best games, so I will probably do it again this week. Went to Pitt@Atlanta over PG@Gilmer, went to LC@Gilmer over L-E@T-High, went to Atlanta@PG over Gilmer@GW. It just happens to me for some reason. I can explain 2 of them, to others, not so much. 

But, to add to it, it's 1 hour shorter of a drive to go to the Celina/PG game, and I'm going to be scratching and clawing to get off work before 5:00 so...

21 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

I have a tendency to miss the best games, so I will probably do it again this week. Went to [email protected] over [email protected], went to [email protected] over [email protected], went to [email protected] over [email protected] It just happens to me for some reason. I can explain 2 of them, to others, not so much. 

But, to add to it, it's 1 hour shorter of a drive to go to the Celina/PG game, and I'm going to be scratching and clawing to get off work before 5:00 so...

With the history you’ve had this year with your games to attend, maybe it is better if you go to PG/Celina game instead. I don’t want any jinx’s! It’s gonna be a fight enough as it is for us.:lol:

7 minutes ago, NTXballgamer11 said:

With the history you’ve had this year with your games to attend, maybe it is better if you go to PG/Celina game instead. I don’t want any jinx’s! It’s gonna be a fight enough as it is for us.:lol:

Yea. I mean I didn't miss any Atlanta games, which explains 2 of them. Which Atlanta had some good ones of their own. Atlanta/Tatum we had to muster a 14 point comeback in the 2nd half. Atlanta/PG was good until about halftime lol. Atlanta/Gilmer came down to the wire (kicker would have made a huge difference). Atlanta/Spring Hill we were down 21-0 in the 1st qtr, 28-7 midway through the 2nd, and came back to win 56-49 (kicker made all 8 xps, as opposed to missing everything against Gilmer) - bought our way into the playoffs. Just hated we couldn't figure out anything in the 2nd half against Jasper. 

Melissa is much better than in years past. Gilmer is Gilmer but allowing more points than usual, and usual is a lot. All that said, I think Gilmer will win this game because they are comfortable in tight situations. They have been in dog fights multiple times and will not get emotional no matter how much adversity they face. 

I think the Buckeyes defense is much improved over the past month.  It seems they've figured it out.  The offense is not making nearly as many mistakes as they had been, and the defense is starting to find itself.  Melissa will certainly test our defense, and that will likely be the deciding factor.

6 minutes ago, blackflag79 said:

I think the Buckeyes defense is much improved over the past month.  It seems they've figured it out.  The offense is not making nearly as many mistakes as they had been, and the defense is starting to find itself.  Melissa will certainly test our defense, and that will likely be the deciding factor.

The defensive improvement may be directly linked with the weaker opponents of the last few weeks. The Gilmer offense should carry them through to the next round. Gilmer 49- Melissa 38

39 minutes ago, eagle34 said:

The defensive improvement may be directly linked with the weaker opponents of the last few weeks. The Gilmer offense should carry them through to the next round. Gilmer 49- Melissa 38

While true that the competition hasn't been as stiff, I've seen major improvements with our players being in the right position to make plays.  For most of the season it looked like they were lost at times.  They have definitely improved over the past month, regardless of the outcome of this game.  Melissa will be a true test to see if that improvement I've seen is substantiated or not.

2 hours ago, eagle34 said:

Pretty wild that you heave a sigh of relief to get to the playoffs when playing in a district like ours. First 2 seeds generally have cake walk to the 3rd round. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, blackflag79 said:

Red Jones.  He didn't play against Caddo Mills, but I heard he possibly could go this Friday.

He was a big Factor against, I recall. Hope to have all hands on deck if we meet again. I like to see best on best.

6 hours ago, blackflag79 said:

While true that the competition hasn't been as stiff, I've seen major improvements with our players being in the right position to make plays.  For most of the season it looked like they were lost at times.  They have definitely improved over the past month, regardless of the outcome of this game.  Melissa will be a true test to see if that improvement I've seen is substantiated or not.

:crossfingers:Totally

4 hours ago, blackflag79 said:

Red Jones.  He didn't play against Caddo Mills, but I heard he possibly could go this Friday.

He will be there if needed...I hope he will sit this one out...he won't like it if he does...really good kid...comes from a good family...Dad was a heck of a Buckeye...chip off the old block

1 hour ago, buckeyebob said:

He will be there if needed...I hope he will sit this one out...he won't like it if he does...really good kid...comes from a good family...Dad was a heck of a Buckeye...chip off the old block

I'd rest him unless it gets real tight or becomes apparent rather quick that you're gonna need him. Then by all means.....play him....ain't no next week if you can't win it this week lol