Melissa Vs Gilmer

RedRed

I’m constantly amazed at people.  Our Buckeyes worked their tails off, coaches give it everything they have/the HOURS they put in ..... it is so easy to be a coach from the stands and gripe and complain.  Either you’re a true fan or you’re not.  Love your team even during the losses.  And most of all, remember they are kids.  It’s been a good season, even if it didn’t end exactly like we wanted it to.  As always, I’m looking forward to our next season.  Great job Bux-keep your chins up and keep all the memories close to your heart!!!!

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, gilmerstar said:

I’m constantly amazed at people.  Our Buckeyes worked their tails off, coaches give it everything they have/the HOURS they put in ..... it is so easy to be a coach from the stands and gripe and complain.  Either you’re a true fan or you’re not.  Love your team even during the losses.  And most of all, remember they are kids.  It’s been a good season, even if it didn’t end exactly like we wanted it to.  As always, I’m looking forward to our next season.  Great job Bux-keep your chins up and keep all the memories close to your heart!!!!

Was just commenting on another thread the admiration and recognition of the Gilmer faithfuls that stayed put till the end to take the loss together with the team and then to go down on that field and be there with them boys to pick their spirits back up was truly a great thing to see. I’ve seen so many teams that have been abandoned by half to 3/4 of their fans before in the agony of defeat and that was absolutely not the case tonight! Much respect to Gilmer and good luck to you in the future.

• Like 1

I just wanna say congrats to Melissa.  The Cardinals made halftime adjustments and came out on fire.  The Buckeyes just couldn't answer the bell.  Too many penalties and a couple of turnovers hurt the Bucks cause for sure.  Our lack of discipline and focus reared its ugly head again, and that's something that needs fixing in Buckeyeland for us to be a true contender again.  Melissa has a lot better team than I think some of our players thought.  They will be contenders for years to come with the good coaching they have in place.

• Thanks 2

Okay, a few quick observations about the game:

1.  Second time this year I saw a Buckeye team implode in the second half.  Happened against Carthage too.  Now I know the level of competition had a lot to do with that, but when things started spiraling out of control, Gilmer hit the panic button.  The team that looked like the more experienced team that had been in close games was Melissa, not Gilmer.

2.  Frustrating to watch Gilmer players be in position to make plays, but miss them.  But a lot of that has to do with the elusiveness of the Melissa backs and QB.  There were at least a half dozen times when I was sure Gilmer had the QB sacked, and he made a play.  Play of the game in my opinion:  Gilmer had just scored to go up 21-14, and Melissa was pinned at the 15 facing a 3rd and 8.  Gilmer blitzed and it looked like the Melissa QB was about to be sacked.  He scrambled out and ran for 9 yards to pick up a first down.  2 plays later, TD Melissa.  Sack him there, and Melissa is punting into the wind deep in their end zone.

3.  Gilmer has to change their on side kick defense.  Their current strategy is to have some kids block while other kids try to recover.  I've seen 4 or 5 times when a Gilmer player had the ball at his feet, but didn't even attempt to pick it up.  The onside kick Melissa recovered last night was  a game changer.

4.  in the 2nd half, Melissa was able to control Gilmer's running game with their defensive linemen.  They could keep their linebackers deep, and totally clog up the passing lanes against Poppy.  And since Gilmer couldn't run a jet sweep to save their lives (false start every time), they couldn't laterally stretch the defense with the run.  That basically paralyzed Gilmer's offense.  If not for some Poppy Brown heroics in the running game, Gilmer would have done nothing the 2nd half.  

5.  Melissa certainly made better 2nd half adjustments than Gilmer.  Which is kind of surprising.  A Gilmer trademark is making adjustments at half and turning games around (think 2014 state championship).  But Gilmer couldn't or didn't adjust, and Melissa did.

I could go on, but the game is over.  Congrats to Melissa; they were the better team.  They had better players.  There is a myth that Gilmer is loaded with talent.  Therefore when GIlmer loses it's got to be the coaches fault.  But Gilmer has always been undersized compared to most teams.  And Gilmer only fielded one D1 talent last night.  I'm upset this year, because I saw the same mistakes made again and again (can we please fix the jet sweep?).  But I'm proud of the kids and their effort.  I miss Camelot, but Camelot is not returning.  I'm going to continue to cheer for the Buckeyes, and hope that next year's team can climb the mountain.

• Like 1

At the beginning of last week I made a long post about this game. Today I make my closing remarks. 

You all said their O line was a machine- false
You said their Team as a whole was extraordinary - false
You said we were going against a coaching staff that had perfected this game- false 

I told y’all about the Cardinals. I warned you about our O-line. We put up 20 points in 3rd quarter. If you notice we are a 2nd half team. I told y’all it would not be a blow out. I told you Gilmer was not as good as you all said and I told you their defense was no match our mighty O-line. Gilmer was good but not exceptional. I expected more with all the blog  hype. Either way it was a good game. 

We will beat PG but you will say no. Tired of beating a dead horse and making y’all believe. We will prove it again Friday. Melissa beat Gilmer and Celina by more than PG. I am not even worried on this one. Especially after seeing what we did to Gilmer. Either they weren’t that good or Melissa is JUST THAT GOOD. You be the judge. These teams don’t know what’s coming. Everyone thinks we are an easy team with an easy schedule. Everyone made every excuse. What’s the excuse now? Good job to the Buckeyes again. They worked hard all season. 

• Thumbs Down 1

It amazes me how many Gilmer people bash the team and the coaches. No one has any idea how much time every single one of them put into this. Most of the people talking never played a down of football, easiest place to coach is from the stands!!! Talk all you want behind a computer screen, if it's so easy how about you go coach a team and see how much goes into it?? Kids practice hours a week, coaches spend endless amounts of time putting together a game plan and y'all still bash them when things don't go right? It's a little different when you have to work from an office all day no one sees the mistakes that you make, to bash you about. Get a life people. It's not the end of the world. If you were so concerned about it at the game last night where were you?? Crowd seemed pretty quiet if you ask me. No one got the crowd going. Everyone died and it killed the game. Bottom line, don't bash this team or the coaches. They had a good year, spend endless amounts of time working and it didn't end the way everyone wanted it to. shut up and get a life. 

10 minutes ago, gtownobserver06 said:

It amazes me how many Gilmer people bash the team and the coaches. No one has any idea how much time every single one of them put into this. Most of the people talking never played a down of football, easiest place to coach is from the stands!!! Talk all you want behind a computer screen, if it's so easy how about you go coach a team and see how much goes into it?? Kids practice hours a week, coaches spend endless amounts of time putting together a game plan and y'all still bash them when things don't go right? It's a little different when you have to work from an office all day no one sees the mistakes that you make, to bash you about. Get a life people. It's not the end of the world. If you were so concerned about it at the game last night where were you?? Crowd seemed pretty quiet if you ask me. No one got the crowd going. Everyone died and it killed the game. Bottom line, don't bash this team or the coaches. They had a good year, spend endless amounts of time working and it didn't end the way everyone wanted it to. shut up and get a life. 

Even great programs like Gilmer have a down year. 10 wins and going to the 3rd round would be an outstanding season for most teams. Be happy for what you have.  Traylor isn't coming back. Get behind the current Coaches and the Program. Good luck next Season!!

2 hours ago, Baller18 said:

At the beginning of last week I made a long post about this game. Today I make my closing remarks. 

You said we were going against a coaching staff that had perfected this game- false 

I told y’all about the Cardinals. I warned you about our O-line. We put up 20 points in 3rd quarter. If you notice we are a 2nd half team. I told y’all it would not be a blow out. I told you Gilmer was not as good as you all said and I told you their defense was no match our mighty O-line. Gilmer was good but not exceptional. I expected more with all the blog  hype. Either way it was a good game. 

We will beat PG but you will say no. Tired of beating a dead horse and making y’all believe. We will prove it again Friday. Melissa beat Gilmer and Celina by more than PG. I am not even worried on this one. Especially after seeing what we did to Gilmer. Either they weren’t that good or Melissa is JUST THAT GOOD. You be the judge. These teams don’t know what’s coming. Everyone thinks we are an easy team with an easy schedule. Everyone made every excuse. What’s the excuse now? Good job to the Buckeyes again. They worked hard all season. 

Your closing remarks are ignorant.  You can always identify fans that do not know much about football.  They always compare outcomes with similar opponents.  So many factors affect the outcomes of games.  For instance, PG beat Gilmer, in Gilmer, and regardless of the score, that is tall task.  There is a reason they had not lost a district game at home in some 15+ years.  In regards to the Celina score, its the third round of the playoffs, everyone comes to play!  PG is a running team, they threw 9 times against Celina (a 10-1 defense), Melissa should have scored more than PG against Celina. PG wants to control the clock, and impose their will. They do not run as many plays as Melissa, and definitely do not throw it as much.  You know, Syracuse beat Clemson this year, so I guess in your mind they should be in playoffs, and win the whole thing?

This game can go either way, at this point in the playoffs past games mean nothing.  Melissa has athletes, they have speed, and nobody really doubts their ability.  Some of the FSW staff even have them picked to win the region, so your thought process about nobody believing in their ability is erroneous as well.

Here is why you should be a little worried about this game.  The PG defense has a front seven unlike ANY Melissa has seen.  PG really can score and keep up in a fast game (even though they do not like that pace).  PG has an O-line as well, yep they do exist outside of Melissa.  The PG defense is hands down better than Gilmer, and if PG pitches a shut out the first half, there will be trouble brewing in Paris.  Lastly, if PG can run the ball effectively, they will wear any team down.

4 minutes ago, Unbiased1 said:

Your closing remarks are ignorant.  You can always identify fans that do not know much about football.  They always compare outcomes with similar opponents.  So many factors affect the outcomes of games.  For instance, PG beat Gilmer, in Gilmer, and regardless of the score, that is tall task.  There is a reason they had not lost a district game at home in some 15+ years.  In regards to the Celina score, its the third round of the playoffs, everyone comes to play!  PG is a running team, they threw 9 times against Celina (a 10-1 defense), Melissa should have scored more than PG against Celina. PG wants to control the clock, and impose their will. They do not run as many plays as Melissa, and definitely do not throw it as much.  You know, Syracuse beat Clemson this year, so I guess in your mind they should be in playoffs, and win the whole thing?

This game can go either way, at this point in the playoffs past games mean nothing.  Melissa has athletes, they have speed, and nobody really doubts their ability.  Some of the FSW staff even have them picked to win the region, so your thought process about nobody believing in their ability is erroneous as well.

Here is why you should be a little worried about this game.  The PG defense has a front seven unlike ANY Melissa has seen.  PG really can score and keep up in a fast game (even though they do not like that pace).  PG has an O-line as well, yep they do exist outside of Melissa.  The PG defense is hands down better than Gilmer, and if PG pitches a shut out the first half, there will be trouble brewing in Paris.  Lastly, if PG can run the ball effectively, they will wear any team down.

First of all take a deep breathe lol. I am not saying it will be easy. Of course not. Don’t knock me for my confidence in my team. What gets me fired up was all the noise about Gilmer and the constant Melissa bashing. Everyone blames our success on an easy schedule and said we didn’t stand a chance , yet here we are AGAIN. Do I think we can blow through PG absolutely not! It will be a tough game for sure. I think we will finally meet our match. I haven’t watched film. I plan to this week. I am speaking out of pure confidence because over and over we prove everyone wrong. But okay. Say what you will. 

27 minutes ago, Unbiased1 said:

My thought process is correct in the dallas morning news everyone but 1 picked Melissa to win. Have you not been reading the threads? No one thought we would win or get this far?  Everyone said we were no match for gilmer. For their machine like line. They said we would get out coached too. Where have you been? I’m not making this up ! Glad to see we finally have people watching what we can do. 

3 hours ago, Baller18 said:

You say Melissa beat Celina by more than PG, but do you know anything about that game? How many times did Celina drive the ball down the field against Melissa? How many yards did Celina accumulate against Melissa? PG controlled that game from the very beginning. It never once felt close. 

If Melissa beats PG, I'll ride the Melissa train and toot the horn every Friday, but you better come up with some better feed than "we beat Celina by more than they did." 

Oh, and to add to the questions I asked you, I'll give you PG's side. PG held Celina to 17 yards of offense in the first half, and zero first downs. Celina never once drove the ball down the field against PG's starters. Celina had just 106 total offensive yards at the end of the game. When I left, with 6 minutes to go in the 4th, PG was up 33-7 with Celina having only gotten 1, ONE first down the entire game up to that point.

Get ready baller18. You're fixing to meet the D7 champs.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

You say Melissa beat Celina by more than PG, but do you know anything about that game? How many times did Celina drive the ball down the field against Melissa? How many yards did Celina accumulate against Melissa? PG controlled that game from the very beginning. It never once felt close. 

If Melissa beats PG, I'll ride the Melissa train and toot the horn every Friday, but you better come up with some better feed than "we beat Celina by more than they did." 

Oh, and to add to the questions I asked you, I'll give you PG's side. PG held Celina to 17 yards of offense in the first half, and zero first downs. Celina never once drove the ball down the field against PG's starters. Celina had just 106 total offensive yards at the end of the game. When I left, with 6 minutes to go in the 4th, PG was up 33-7 with Celina having only gotten 1, ONE first down the entire game up to that point.

Okay okay okay..... everyone remain calm

10 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

I was talking noise . It was out of frustration with all the bs said about Us vs Gilmer. Tired of it is all. Yes it will be a hard game. Yes they are a great team. There’s is no doubt about it. We have to prepare. I get it.. let me enjoy my win lol. Let me live.

15 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

You do know that pretty much PG didn’t do anything to Celina that Melissa didn’t do. But that’s ok cause next East TX team up to meet the D5 champs please.

• Like 1

As far as the PG vs Melissa - At this point it’s about Attrition and execution and who has the better game plan. I guess I ruffled feathers when seeming so confident with no real numbers to back it up. I believe in my team and won’t apologize for it. Week after week the threads have bashed us and so my head got big for a moment. Many of you have made GREAT points. It will be a tough game. I will be watching film this week and say nothing more until I have grounds for a solid arguement. I do believe melissa CAN take it. This thread was about Gilmer and Melissa. Melissa won, we can move on now. I guess I can anyways. See y’all on the next thread. 

17 hours ago, EastTex45 said:

Talent will only get you so far you need coaching to get to the ship!   No excuse for a program like Gilmer to be outscored in the 2nd half like that.  Coaches should be lining up for interviews starting tomorrow.  Embarrassing East Texas football.  I don’t wanna take anything away from Melissa players or coaches great job.

You're an idiot. You've been spoiled with Gilmer winning. If it's so easy to coach, how about you go do it?? I bet you make NO mistakes at all at your job huh??? Coaches work 13+ hour days, don't knock them. We have some of the best coaches in the state. Not every game goes our way. Times are changing. Get used to it. 

• Like 1

Dear melissa I hope you dont get too excited about beating Gilmer because I am surprised we made it this far. Gilmer has a lot of problems they have to address and they will. They have some internal problems and some players are quitting after this year and not playing there sr year. I also hope that will be resolved. But dont think you have it won now because if you are using us as a measuring stick you are going to have a long ride home. Gilmer did good with what they had and the problems they have. Maybe next year will be brighter who knows and good luck the reas of the way how ever far you go. As to Gilmer talk to some of the players and see if you can smooth out there grumbles they have we have some good classes coming up and dont need players quitting. Buckeyes did good this year keep up the good work.

Ok i wasn't gonna say anything, but I'm tired of seeing "Some" Gilmer people saying stuff like we were down this year or this team had lots of issues or blaming the coaches. I've been reading over the last few weeks these same people talking about how much the Buckeyes have jelled together over the last month and the Buckeyes Black flag defense is back and Gilmers offense is as good as ever ect... I had a feeling though and told numerous people this week that if we beat Gilmer watch all the excuses and finger pointing come back and that's exactly what has happend. To be honest you Gilmer fans have generally always been the perfect model of consistancy of great fans, program and always had your team and coaches backs. To be frank you fans should be ashamed of yourself for the way y'all are talking about your players and coaches. Maybe the fact is Gilmer isn't bad at all, maybe other teams are just better this year have y'all ever thought about that?  Maybe games were closer this year in your district games because the teams in your district are really good and maybe even better than in years past. Stop making excuses and pointing fingers and understand that other teams caught up to Gilmer this year. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As you can see, I am from Gilmer, RedRed, and I agree with everything you just wrote. I was very apprehensive going into this game. I had done a little informal scouting on this year's Melissa team. I was awed by the QB and RB. I already knew Stinton was a great coach. Actually, I never understood how we had our way, so to speak, with Melissa the first three meetings. But now you are like Argyle. You've surpassed us in enrollment by a country mile (or encroaching McKinney city mile, I should say) and we'll never play each other again. Same with Celina. Au revoir and bon appetit in the higher classifications as you continue exploding in enrollment. At least we can say we had a 3-1 record against Melissa to offset the 1-3 record against Argyle. Gilmer-Celina "rivalry" will also end up 3-1, I think.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, gtownobserver06 said:

You're an idiot. You've been spoiled with Gilmer winning. If it's so easy to coach, how about you go do it?? I bet you make NO mistakes at all at your job huh??? Coaches work 13+ hour days, don't knock them. We have some of the best coaches in the state. Not every game goes our way. Times are changing. Get used to it. 

GILMER got out coached in that game last night period!!  You have no argument towards that,  go grab a participation trophy somewhere else.  Later

7 hours ago, 36gut said:

As you can see, I am from Gilmer, RedRed, and I agree with everything you just wrote. I was very apprehensive going into this game. I had done a little informal scouting on this year's Melissa team. I was awed by the QB and RB. I already knew Stinton was a great coach. Actually, I never understood how we had our way, so to speak, with Melissa the first three meetings. But now you are like Argyle. You've surpassed us in enrollment by a country mile (or encroaching McKinney city mile, I should say) and we'll never play each other again. Same with Celina. Au revoir and bon appetit in the higher classifications as you continue exploding in enrollment. At least we can say we had a 3-1 record against Melissa to offset the 1-3 record against Argyle. Gilmer-Celina "rivalry" will also end up 3-1, I think.

Appreciate the kind words. As far as the last 3 meetings....well like we’ve been trying to say, we crossed y’alls path during a rebuilding stage. We should be a pretty dang good team for at least the next two years with our key playmakers being sophomores and juniors. Best of luck to Gilmer in the future and as they say “ it’s been real and it’s been fun, but hasn’t been real fun”. Y’all put some straight up embarrassing spankings on us but it was nice to end our meeting up with a bit of redemption. Stay classy y’all!