Texas H.S. Football Coaching Carousel...

Smoaky

4 hours ago, scatright said:

Alto,

Please hire Lance Gamble.....or Bryan if you can get him there.

I played and graduated with Brian, and Lance was two years under us, and Pops was our Coach then. Loved all three, I’ve talked to Brian and Lance, about applying for the job, but I’m not sure if either have or will apply. Me personally I’d love to see anyone of them back in Alto. But from what I have heard they aren’t a shoe in for the job, lots of good coaches out there looking at this job.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alto44 said:

I played and graduated with Brian, and Lance was two years under us, and Pops was our Coach then. Loved all three, I’ve talked to Brian and Lance, about applying for the job, but I’m not sure if either have or will apply. Me personally I’d love to see anyone of them back in Alto. But from what I have heard they aren’t a shoe in for the job, lots of good coaches out there looking at this job.

I don't have a dog in this fight but I would advise those guys against it.  It's very very hard to "go back home". Being AD/HC is hard but going back to your hometown is very tough. On the outside you would think it would be easier, but in reality its a very tough thing to do. ( I know it worked for Traylor but it doesn't work for most). 

I also played with both of those guys under Coach Gamble and we had a dominant run during that time.  As far as now we've fallen a long way from where we used to be especially defensively.  That could be the type of kids we have today or a change in the way the game is played who knows.  I would love to see that dominance return but realistically idk if that is possible.  The numbers are way down and a lot of kids are not interested in playing football which is sad.  So hopefully whomever they hire can bring some energy to the program and get that winning tradition back on track.  

2 hours ago, oldschool32 said:

I also played with both of those guys under Coach Gamble and we had a dominant run during that time.  As far as now we've fallen a long way from where we used to be especially defensively.  That could be the type of kids we have today or a change in the way the game is played who knows.  I would love to see that dominance return but realistically idk if that is possible.  The numbers are way down and a lot of kids are not interested in playing football which is sad.  So hopefully whomever they hire can bring some energy to the program and get that winning tradition back on track.  

I wouldn’t say the numbers are way down, we have just as many kids out playing as before. The problem with the defense is the spread offense we ran, it makes you soft. The mind set has to change in the adults, before you will see a change in the kids, we had a lot of finger pointing at kids and not enough pointing back at leadership, practice time, and work ethic. It was time for a change and that’s what is happening, but the parents and fans need to adjust as well, let the new coach do the coaching, and everything will be fine.

• Like 1

UIW has recently undergone a coaching change, which means they are probably going to endure a coordinator change. This means that Brian should be available shortly, if he is not already. If tough defense is the issue in Alto, who else would be better than a defensive minded guy who is the epitome of Alto football? This guy isn't just a legend in Alto, he is a legend in the minds of anyone who has followed TXHSFB for more than 15 years. I played 2A ball when Brian was playing and we constantly talked about him in our field house. Randy Copeland was hired as our football coach my sophomore year and the first questions he had to field from our players were about Brian Gamble. If his name is on that applicant list and he is not hired, then Alto football deserves to take a nose dive. Anyone seen a list of applicants thus far?

• Smoaky unpinned this topic