New Diana vs #1 Gunter

Daingerfield357

2 hours ago, NDPATE said:

Gunter will be a force to be reckoned with for sure but don’t count the Eagles out.  These young men will not lay down and will find a way to score against a tough Gunter team.  How did the crow taste from your last weeks arrogant prediction on ND vs Jacksboro?   

I can eat my crow. But let me ask you a question: how was my prediction on ND and Jacksboro arrogant? I said I thought Jacksboro would win. How is that arrogant? Perhaps you need to go get a dictionary and look up the word "arrogant." I will send you one if you one if you need it there snowflake. Good grief, cannot even state an opinion without hurting feelings.

My personal prediction for this game is going to be Gunter, 56-14.  New Diana will be able to do some damage on offense early I think.  They will probably score a couple or three times.  Gunter comes into this game averaging 49.1 points per game - and this is misleading because in half of those games, those points were scored in the first half and subs were in for the second half.  Against Holliday, Gunter got a TD on every single possession of the game except two.  The first one, and the last one.  If you consider the fact that the last possession was Gunter in victory formation, in reality, Gunter scored on every possession except one.  This, against a Holliday defense that gave up 9.9 points per game coming into that Gunter game.  New Diana allows 32.8 points per game.  Gunter has played 4 teams that have allowed over 30 points per game.  Howe, Whitewright, Prairiland and Leonard.  These are the halftime scores in those games :

Howe : 36-0

Whitewright : 53-0

Prairiland : 48-0

Leonard : 42-0

It is worth mentioning that Gunter doesn't run it up.  That's not their style.  Outside of the Leonard game, Gunter didn't score much in the second half of these games with second and third stringers in and the clock running in most of them.  The Leonard game was different because there was no running clock until very late, and on top of that, Leonard continued to throw the ball which of course stops the clock and makes the game longer.  That explains the 70-0 score.  Anyway, onto some scenarios :

Considering all games played, my predictor comes up with 56-17.  If each team plays one of their best games, I get 52-14.  If each team plays one of their worst, I get 72-31.  If Gunter equals their worst performance of the year while New Diana equals their best performance, I get New Diana with a 50-39 win.  If we get the opposite, Gunter's best vs New Diana's worst,  I get Gunter on top 95-0.  Obviously, that's not going to happen.  It's just something I include when I run the numbers.  This is sort of the range of possibilities if each team performs within the range of what they have demonstrated is possible so far this year.

Considering only district games, I get Gunter, 63-13.  Playoffs only, I get Gunter,  55-16.  Only considering games against opponents who score 30 or more points, I get 60-12.  I can't really do a defensive comparison because these two defenses are so different - which is why I brought up how Gunter has performed against defenses who don't stop anyone.  

The only chance New Diana has in this game is to trade scores with Gunter, but I just don't see anything close to that happening.  It very well may be that Gunter will only need one stop on defense to beat this New Diana team granted they take care of the ball and keep penalties to a minimum (which they usually do).  I'm willing to bet they get plenty more than what they need though.

27 minutes ago, Pax said:

My personal prediction for this game is going to be Gunter, 56-14.  New Diana will be able to do some damage on offense early I think.  They will probably score a couple or three times.  Gunter comes into this game averaging 49.1 points per game - and this is misleading because in half of those games, those points were scored in the first half and subs were in for the second half.  Against Holliday, Gunter got a TD on every single possession of the game except two.  The first one, and the last one.  If you consider the fact that the last possession was Gunter in victory formation, in reality, Gunter scored on every possession except one.  This, against a Holliday defense that gave up 9.9 points per game coming into that Gunter game.  New Diana allows 32.8 points per game.  Gunter has played 4 teams that have allowed over 30 points per game.  Howe, Whitewright, Prairiland and Leonard.  These are the halftime scores in those games :

Howe : 36-0

Whitewright : 53-0

Prairiland : 48-0

Leonard : 42-0

It is worth mentioning that Gunter doesn't run it up.  That's not their style.  Outside of the Leonard game, Gunter didn't score much in the second half of these games with second and third stringers in and the clock running in most of them.  The Leonard game was different because there was no running clock until very late, and on top of that, Leonard continued to throw the ball which of course stops the clock and makes the game longer.  That explains the 70-0 score.  Anyway, onto some scenarios :

Considering all games played, my predictor comes up with 56-17.  If each team plays one of their best games, I get 52-14.  If each team plays one of their worst, I get 72-31.  If Gunter equals their worst performance of the year while New Diana equals their best performance, I get New Diana with a 50-39 win.  If we get the opposite, Gunter's best vs New Diana's worst,  I get Gunter on top 95-0.  Obviously, that's not going to happen.  It's just something I include when I run the numbers.  This is sort of the range of possibilities if each team performs within the range of what they have demonstrated is possible so far this year.

Considering only district games, I get Gunter, 63-13.  Playoffs only, I get Gunter,  55-16.  Only considering games against opponents who score 30 or more points, I get 60-12.  I can't really do a defensive comparison because these two defenses are so different - which is why I brought up how Gunter has performed against defenses who don't stop anyone.  

The only chance New Diana has in this game is to trade scores with Gunter, but I just don't see anything close to that happening.  It very well may be that Gunter will only need one stop on defense to beat this New Diana team granted they take care of the ball and keep penalties to a minimum (which they usually do).  I'm willing to bet they get plenty more than what they need though.

Much respect for Gunter. I saw them once, 7 years ago. Scoreboard said we beat them soundly, but they played the game hard and they played it right. Truth be told they tore my line up. We were banged up after that game. 

New Diana’s season has been a fantastic story to follow. Their coach has done a remarkable job turning that program around, and hopefully it will last for years to come. 

BUT, I think Gunter is just on a different level than everyone else. 

Would love to see ND win this game, but my gut tells me otherwise. 

Gunter wins 42-28

No one expected ND to beat DF, they did.  PP, they did, Winona, they did, Leonard, they did.  Jacksboro, they did.  Gunter, will they do the same?  Somebody will lose.  Is it time for Gunter to fall?  Everthing is stacked against the Eagles, but they have been playing from behind all year.  No one believed in them except themselves.  That may be all that is needed.  Either way, they will leave it all on the field Friday Night. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Crazicajun said:

No one expected ND to beat DF, they did.  PP, they did, Winona, they did, Leonard, they did.  Jacksboro, they did.  Gunter, will they do the same?  Somebody will lose.  Is it time for Gunter to fall?  Everthing is stacked against the Eagles, but they have been playing from behind all year.  No one believed in them except themselves.  That may be all that is needed.  Either way, they will leave it all on the field Friday Night. 

I think plenty of people (at least anybody who has actually paid attention) of expected Diana to beat Pewitt, Winona, and Leonard.

Don’t get carried away.

So amazing watching Gunter! They are not big physically, but mentally they are giants! This game has the potential to get real ugly, real quick. ND passing attack does look pretty good but the QB will get frustrated and throw the ball away too many times. Gunter D is just too solid and fast. Gunter wins big. 

3 minutes ago, Dubya said:

So amazing watching Gunter! They are not big physically, but mentally they are giants! This game has the potential to get real ugly, real quick. ND passing attack does look pretty good but the QB will get frustrated and throw the ball away too many times. Gunter D is just too solid and fast. Gunter wins big. 

Dumbest quote on the thread. ND QB will get frustareatrd and throw it away too many time. He has thrown for over 60 TD’s...one of only 7 people to ever do that in a single season in the history of Texas football. Defense isn’t good enough, ND not physical enough, no run game...we can argue those points...but you are going to hang ND losing on QB getting frustrated and throwing the ball away?! Dumb

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HTaylor said:
6 minutes ago, HTaylor said:

Dumbest quote on the thread. ND QB will get frustareatrd and throw it away too many time. He has thrown for over 60 TD’s...one of only 7 people to ever do that in a single season in the history of Texas football. Defense isn’t good enough, ND not physical enough, no run game...we can argue those points...but you are going to hang ND losing on QB getting frustrated and throwing the ball away?! Dumb

Dumb? Take it easy man....it’s just my opinion. I know he is a great QB. However, ND has not faced a relentless defense like Gunter. I said he would get frustrated not frustareatrd. So if you feel the need to call me dumb then please quote me right. 

13 hours ago, westtexas said:

Post from HTaylor over on Gunter vs. Holliday thread

Don’t mind if we play the game do you? Same thing you said last week

My response: Yes Sir, but yall are not playing Jacksboro this week. Gunter will have 500+ yards rushing this week, and you will find that New Diana will have a much more difficult time passing the ball on the Gunter Defense. Gunter wins this one handily.

I've seen Gunter about 4 times in the last couple years.  I believe they may be a little better than last season.  They are on a 29 game winning streak, they average allowing about 5 points per game.  They have an excellent coaching staff, they make incredibly fast adjustments on the fly, they adjust after sequential series of plays instead of waiting until halftime or at quarters.  Very patient and disciplined.  Pass and run defense is phenomenal.  Boo-Koos of playoff experience.  Maybe a slight weakness, if I dig deep enough, would not be pass defense, but pass defense against a team that has thrown over 60 touchdowns in a season. 

I have studied New Diana a little and listened intently to their game against Jacksboro.  They also adjust quickly.  They seem to be quick on the run based plays and fast on their passing game.  They adjust to adversity very well and their QB is amazing.  Coaching seems to be way above average.  They have a quick strike offense.  However a couple things could bite them in the behind.....discipline is a little off tilt, the defense can be scored on often by a good team and contending at this level of the State Tourney may cause some anxiety especially being matched up against the #1 team in the State for the Regional Championship. 

My prediction is;

First Qtr.- Gunter 10 New Diana 7

Second Qtr.- Gunter 24 New Diana 13

Third Qtr.- Gunter 36 New Diana 13

Fourth Qtr.- Gunter 52 New Diana 13

Final- Gunter 52 New Diana 13

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Valhalla said:

I think plenty of people (at least anybody who has actually paid attention) of expected Diana to beat Pewitt, Winona, and Leonard.

Don’t get carried away.

They didn’t play Pewitt. I assume you meant Jacksboro? If so not sure a ton of people were expecting them to win that game at least those who have been paying attention

8 hours ago, micotrav said:

I've seen Gunter about 4 times in the last couple years.  I believe they may be a little better than last season.  They are on a 29 game winning streak, they average allowing about 5 points per game.  They have an excellent coaching staff, they make incredibly fast adjustments on the fly, they adjust after sequential series of plays instead of waiting until halftime or at quarters.  Very patient and disciplined.  Pass and run defense is phenomenal.  Boo-Koos of playoff experience.  Maybe a slight weakness, if I dig deep enough, would not be pass defense, but pass defense against a team that has thrown over 60 touchdowns in a season. 

I have studied New Diana a little and listened intently to their game against Jacksboro.  They also adjust quickly.  They seem to be quick on the run based plays and fast on their passing game.  They adjust to adversity very well and their QB is amazing.  Coaching seems to be way above average.  They have a quick strike offense.  However a couple things could bite them in the behind.....discipline is a little off tilt, the defense can be scored on often by a good team and contending at this level of the State Tourney may cause some anxiety especially being matched up against the #1 team in the State for the Regional Championship. 

My prediction is;

First Qtr.- Gunter 10 New Diana 7

Second Qtr.- Gunter 24 New Diana 13

Third Qtr.- Gunter 36 New Diana 13

Fourth Qtr.- Gunter 52 New Diana 13

Final- Gunter 52 New Diana 13

Good analysis...I disagree but at least you thought it through. Hoping for a good game. Win, lose or draw...them Eagles have set our community on fire and we are so proud of those boys. This is one of the times in life you see somebody knocked to the ground and get back up. If you are not a sports person you may not can comprehend how hard it is to recover from 0-10. Not only did the program recover, but the actual players did...just amazing. Keep fight’n!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Koodos to the Gunter Tigers on what you guys have accomplished. Gunter is the standard for where all high school football programs in Texas want to be. Saw a great video this am on the program. Go Eagles...let’s represent the 903 with class

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ksampson said:

Koodos to the Gunter Tigers on what you guys have accomplished. Gunter is the standard for where all high school football programs in Texas want to be. Saw a great video this am on the program. Go Eagles...let’s represent the 903 with class

4 hours ago, HTaylor said:

Good analysis...I disagree but at least you thought it through. Hoping for a good game. Win, lose or draw...them Eagles have set our community on fire and we are so proud of those boys. This is one of the times in life you see somebody knocked to the ground and get back up. If you are not a sports person you may not can comprehend how hard it is to recover from 0-10. Not only did the program recover, but the actual players did...just amazing. Keep fight’n!!!

Your absolutely correct.  The ND Team Seniors & Juniors were 0-10 in 2015.  Now the are in the Regional Semi Final.  How has more to lose?  GUNTER DOES.  Law of Probability dictates there is more pressure on them than the Eagles.  How will they react if they get behind if that happens.  These are kids and all the past #'s and wins mean nothing except their ups and downs.  ND wins.