New Diana vs #1 Gunter

Daingerfield357

13 minutes ago, Gonzo62x said:

New Diana was about to beat Jacksboro by 2-3 td's until #5 got tossed.  He was dominating on both sides of the ball.  Expect a good game

Yep, this is one I had pretty wrong.  I believe I had Jacksboro in something like a 42-28 game.  Worth mentioning that I was wrong about how much New Diana's offense was going to be able to score before.  I could be wrong again.  I still think Gunter's defense is far better than Jacksboro's.

52 minutes ago, Pax said:

Has New Diana always run a passing-heavy offense or is this something implemented recently due to the talent at QB?  I've always considered that running this kind offense at this level (3A and below) is risky simply because you're not guaranteed to have an A-level QB that is a natural QB one after another where you're more likely to be able to fill that position conistently at a bigger school.

Coach came from Lake Travis and brought their system with him.

They went 3-7 last year in his first year I believe.....they averaged 40 points a game I believe, but they gave up like 49 a game. Doing a little better this year obviously but the defense still isn't great, better, but still lacking.

Just now, Eagle8 said:

2 years ago they were 0-10.....so he took an 0-10 program and in 2 years got them 4 rounds deep. Pretty impressive. Coach of the year material.

I was about to ask about the year before.  Yeah, impressive.  

Just now, blueflu said:

Now don't get me wrong, they might beat the hell out of Gunter.  But from what Ive seen, they have 2 great receivers and a really good qb.  At other positions, they look way out of their element.

I'd say logically it's safe to say Gunter is the extreme favorite. But the ND QB is legit and has some solid weapons. They keep finding a way to win games they aren't supposed to. I understand Gunter is better than anyone they've played but they've rose to the occasion all year in crunch time. I have no idea what will happen Friday night. 

I hope it is about 35, 30 mph winds, and rain.  But it looks like pretty good football weather.

I was wondering - when #5 went out did Jacksboro get some stops?  From the looks of the box score it doesn't like any body got much in the way of stops.

I can see ND trying a number of 50-50 balls to the tallest receiver.  Gunter's DBs are not tall.  Fast, but not tall.

1 hour ago, Eagle8 said:

Coach came from Lake Travis and brought their system with him.

Heavy passing game has been good to Canadian as well.  Should bit well for ND's future. 

The most successful 3A football coach in Texas high school by winning percentage coming into this year is Chris Koetting from Canadian.  (85-13).

Gunter's Jake Fieszel is currently #3 at (107-23) .  Pretty impressive numbers for these small town Friday night schools. 

1 minute ago, BlueDuroc said:

Heavy passing game has been good to Canadian as well.  Should bit well for ND's future. 

The most successful 3A football coach in Texas high school by winning percentage coming into this year is Chris Koetting from Canadian.  (85-13).

Gunter's Jake Fieszel is currently #3 at (107-23) .  Pretty impressive numbers for these small town Friday night schools. 

I don't believe those records reflect the 2017 schedule thus far either.  I think that would bring those records to 99-13 and 120-23 respectively.  I know Fieszel got his 100th win last season.

3 hours ago, GTAlumnus said:

A couple of these guys I can't get through the posts without using my dictionary.  I will say, I think Pax has some really interesting analyses of not just this game but many games and they are not always correct (Harmony) but usually are pretty close.  But they always make sense, and having seen all 29 of Gunter's win streak (and of course the defeat at the hands of Waskom in 2015) I will say I have to agree with pretty much everything he says.

The one thing that does worry me is that I do believe Jacksboro did have a pretty good defense and yet ND hung 49 on them.  Not as good as Gunter I don't think, but they were a good football team with a pretty good  defense.  As some poster mentioned prior to the Jacksboro game ND seems to play to their competition and always has another score in them if they need it.  I have seen some of the ND QB and coach interviews and they sound very knowledgeable about their offense and what they can do and how than can adjust to the defense and utilize the right receiver (tall guy vs shorter defender), read coverages, etc.  It is no accident they have that prolific attack.  It will be hard stop, and I believe pressure on the QB will be the most important part of making them punt 2 or 4 times in the game.

Historically Gunter coach's defense has fared pretty well against passing teams.  Melissa about 4 years ago had a very good passing attack but Gunter's defense did a good job controlling it enough to win by 10 - I believe 31-21.  Melissa went on to a15-1 record and won the 3A division 1 state championship that year.

Irresistible force against an immovable object.  Might be fun to watch.

I was at that Melissa/Gunter game, awesome game I must say!

1 minute ago, Pax said:

I don't believe those records reflect the 2017 schedule thus far either.  I think that would bring those records to 99-13 and 120-23 respectively.  I know Fieszel got his 100th win last season.

That is correct, those numbers are from 2016 not counting the wins this year.  Fieszel's winning % continues to climb!

1 hour ago, BlueDuroc said:

That is correct, those numbers are from 2016 not counting the wins this year.  Fieszel's winning % continues to climb!

How long has he been Head Coach at Gunter? What's his coaching background? Just curious 

1 minute ago, TTman7 said:

How long has he been Head Coach at Gunter? What's his coaching background? Just curious 

He was hired as an assistant in Gunter maybe around 15 years ago or there about. That was his first coaching job.  He became HC in 2007.  

I have been watching the ND/Jacksboro game from last week up to the 28-14 mark so far. Very impressed with ND's offense period. The QB can flat throw but the receivers are good too and the plays are design to get lots of yards after catch. QB can scramble - broke some tackles and Romo'd out of some. Jacksboro did a pretty good job getting pressure at times and let the QB get away. Both defenses have their work cut out for them.