New Diana vs #1 Gunter

Daingerfield357

15 hours ago, Pax said:

Has New Diana always run a passing-heavy offense or is this something implemented recently due to the talent at QB?  I've always considered that running this kind offense at this level (3A and below) is risky simply because you're not guaranteed to have an A-level QB that is a natural QB one after another where you're more likely to be able to fill that position conistently at a bigger school.

New Coach, Robbie Coplin, came in last year 2016. After the 0-10 Season.  He is a former Lake Travis, Stephenville Assistant Coach.   Been past of a # of Big School Championships. Very fast tempo and Passing oriented with QB.  They have 3 other OB's and 2 of them can toss it abut 80% of present QB.

Just some scoring stats, and a justification of my 56-14 prediction for any of those interested.

Here are what New Diana opponents allowed per game on average only considering district and playoff games (if applicable) and not including the New Diana game itself (so what New Diana scored does not skew what those defenses otherwise allow).  The first number is what the team allows in all other games; the second is what New Diana scored against them :

De Kalb - 42.2, 61

Hooks - 33.3, 42

Queen City - 56.6, 55

Ore City - 39.4, 70

Daingerfield - 16.6, 24

Pewitt - 33.5, 42

Winona - 33.4, 47

Leonard - 32.3, 36

Jacksboro - 17.0, 49 (great offensive performance here against a good D.  I missed this in an earlier post)

Overall, New Diana is scoring 47.3 ppg against defenses that allow 33.8 ppg. 

This next list is what New Diana opponents normally score per game (again, not including what they scored against New Diana) and the second number is what New Diana allowed to this team :

De Kalb - 36.4, 62

Hooks - 35.0, 28

Queen City - 13.6, 13

Ore City - 42.0, 34

Daingerfield - 43.4, 21

Pewitt - 24.3, 39

Winona - 19.4, 42

Leonard - 36.3, 8

Jacksboro - 36.4, 48

Overall, New Diana allowed 32.8 ppg to teams that average 31.9 ppg.

For Gunter's defense, again, first number is what opponents score per game, second is what Gunter allowed :

Whitewright - 19.0, 0

S&S - 25.5, 0

Prairiland - 14.8, 7

Cooper - 28.3, 0

Chisum - 16.4, 0

Leonard - 37.4, 0

Henrietta - 29.6, 13

Daingerfield - 46.0, 3

Holliday - 39.4, 7

Overall, Gunter is allowing 3.3 ppg to teams that average 28.5.  Some of you may also notice that the ppg for Leonard and Daingerfield are different for this Gunter list than they were for the New Diana list.  That's only because I include all games except the ones against Gunter on this list, and all except New Diana on their list. 

Gunter offense, first number what their opponent's defense normally allows, second number is what Gunter scored :

Whitewright - 37.8, 66

S&S - 21.3, 52

Prairiland - 40, 55

Cooper - 20.2, 50

Chisum - 21.4, 43

Leonard - 27.4, 70

Henrietta - 30.2, 45

Daingerfield - 14.6, 38

Holliday - 10.3, 48

Overall, Gunter is scoring 51.9 ppg against defenses that allow 24.8 ppg.

Using these trends (and I am well aware that they do not in any way take into account how Gunter's defense will do against New Diana's offense - which is different than anything Gunter has seen), you can do something like this :

New Diana is - on average - scoring 13.5 points more than what the defense they play gives up on average.  Gunter gives up 3.3 per game, so 13.5 more would be 17 points.  New Diana is - on average - giving up 0.9 more points than what offenses normally score on average.  Gunter scores 51.9 per game, so 0.9 more than that would be 53.  If New Diana has their way and does to teams what they normally do to teams, this results in a 53-17 score.

Gunter is - on average - scoring 27.1 points more than what the defense they play gives up on average.  New Diana gives up 32.8 per game, so 27.1 more would be 60 points.  Gunter is - on average - giving up 25.2 points less than what the offense they play normally scores.  New Diana scores 47.3 per game, so 25.2 less would be 22.  If Gunter has their way and does to teams what they normally do to teams, this results in a 60-22 score. 

If you average the two above scores together, you get 57-19 - which I adjusted to be more football friendly to 56-14.  Not that anyone was wondering, but this is where my prediction comes from, and why I thought New Diana would get two or three scores.  I settled on two, but 56-21 is actually closer to what the scoring stats say.  Depending on how well Gunter can defend that pass, it could be closer than this.  Anyway, I doubt many (if any) will actually read this whole thing, but just so people know that I'm not being arrogant with my prediction.  I do them the exact same way for every single game I predict - including Gunter games.  The only manipulation I did was round 19 down to 14 instead of up to 21.  57-19 is the actual number my algorithm spits out for this one.

14 minutes ago, Pax said:

Just some scoring stats, and a justification of my 56-14 prediction for any of those interested.

Here are what New Diana opponents allowed per game on average only considering district and playoff games (if applicable) and not including the New Diana game itself (so what New Diana scored does not skew what those defenses otherwise allow).  The first number is what the team allows in all other games; the second is what New Diana scored against them :

De Kalb - 42.2, 61

Hooks - 33.3, 42

Queen City - 56.6, 55

Ore City - 39.4, 70

Daingerfield - 16.6, 24

Pewitt - 33.5, 42

Winona - 33.4, 47

Leonard - 32.3, 36

Jacksboro - 17.0, 49 (great offensive performance here against a good D.  I missed this in an earlier post)

Overall, New Diana is scoring 47.3 ppg against defenses that allow 33.8 ppg. 

This next list is what New Diana opponents normally score per game (again, not including what they scored against New Diana) and the second number is what New Diana allowed to this team :

De Kalb - 36.4, 62

Hooks - 35.0, 28

Queen City - 13.6, 13

Ore City - 42.0, 34

Daingerfield - 43.4, 21

Pewitt - 24.3, 39

Winona - 19.4, 42

Leonard - 36.3, 8

Jacksboro - 36.4, 48

Overall, New Diana allowed 32.8 ppg to teams that average 31.9 ppg.

For Gunter's defense, again, first number is what opponents score per game, second is what Gunter allowed :

Whitewright - 19.0, 0

S&S - 25.5, 0

Prairiland - 14.8, 7

Cooper - 28.3, 0

Chisum - 16.4, 0

Leonard - 37.4, 0

Henrietta - 29.6, 13

Daingerfield - 46.0, 3

Holliday - 39.4, 7

Overall, Gunter is allowing 3.3 ppg to teams that average 28.5.  Some of you may also notice that the ppg for Leonard and Daingerfield are different for this Gunter list than they were for the New Diana list.  That's only because I include all games except the ones against Gunter on this list, and all except New Diana on their list. 

Gunter offense, first number what their opponent's defense normally allows, second number is what Gunter scored :

Whitewright - 37.8, 66

S&S - 21.3, 52

Prairiland - 40, 55

Cooper - 20.2, 50

Chisum - 21.4, 43

Leonard - 27.4, 70

Henrietta - 30.2, 45

Daingerfield - 14.6, 38

Holliday - 10.3, 48

Overall, Gunter is scoring 51.9 ppg against defenses that allow 24.8 ppg.

Using these trends (and I am well aware that they do not in any way take into account how Gunter's defense will do against New Diana's offense - which is different than anything Gunter has seen), you can do something like this :

New Diana is - on average - scoring 13.5 points more than what the defense they play gives up on average.  Gunter gives up 3.3 per game, so 13.5 more would be 17 points.  New Diana is - on average - giving up 0.9 more points than what offenses normally score on average.  Gunter scores 51.9 per game, so 0.9 more than that would be 53.  If New Diana has their way and does to teams what they normally do to teams, this results in a 53-17 score.

Gunter is - on average - scoring 27.1 points more than what the defense they play gives up on average.  New Diana gives up 32.8 per game, so 27.1 more would be 60 points.  Gunter is - on average - giving up 25.2 points less than what the offense they play normally scores.  New Diana scores 47.3 per game, so 25.2 less would be 22.  If Gunter has their way and does to teams what they normally do to teams, this results in a 60-22 score. 

If you average the two above scores together, you get 57-19 - which I adjusted to be more football friendly to 56-14.  Not that anyone was wondering, but this is where my prediction comes from, and why I thought New Diana would get two or three scores.  I settled on two, but 56-21 is actually closer to what the scoring stats say.  Depending on how well Gunter can defend that pass, it could be closer than this.  Anyway, I doubt many (if any) will actually read this whole thing, but just so people know that I'm not being arrogant with my prediction.  I do them the exact same way for every single game I predict - including Gunter games.  The only manipulation I did was round 19 down to 14 instead of up to 21.  57-19 is the actual number my algorithm spits out for this one.

That's a dam good break down...

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Pax said:

Has New Diana always run a passing-heavy offense or is this something implemented recently due to the talent at QB?  I've always considered that running this kind offense at this level (3A and below) is risky simply because you're not guaranteed to have an A-level QB that is a natural QB one after another where you're more likely to be able to fill that position conistently at a bigger school.

Best post I've read in a long time..I think its cause ND has a very good talented passing QB but you do have some coaches that will run the spread with any QB no matter the talent level.. For example EF did it this yr lol...

You do a great breakdown and I understand, but I do not see a single pass heavy team that Gunter has played in the mix, so me for one is going to wait and see how they handle the fast pace and the pass.  I have learned in my 55 plus years of watching high school football that match ups and heart make a huge difference in some games so I will keep an open mind, because all it takes to score more then the other guy and New Diana seems to find a way to do that lately.

25 minutes ago, wildtigers said:

You do a great breakdown and I understand, but I do not see a single pass heavy team that Gunter has played in the mix, so me for one is going to wait and see how they handle the fast pace and the pass.  I have learned in my 55 plus years of watching high school football that match ups and heart make a huge difference in some games so I will keep an open mind, because all it takes to score more then the other guy and New Diana seems to find a way to do that lately.

You're right.  There are no pass-heavy teams that Gunter has played.  Leonard threw the ball just as much as they ran it in the Gunter game, but I wouldn't consider Leonard anywhere near the offense New Diana is.  Though, a big part of the reason Gunter was able score 70 against Leonard was because they threw the ball and slowed the game down giving Gunter more possessions, so it can be a double-edged sword sometimes.  Leonard was 5 for 26 in the Gunter game, and they had 26 carries in that game, so 50/50 rush : pass.  Other than that, Henrietta threw the ball 18 times and Pilot Point 17 times.  I wouldn't consider either of those pass-heavy.  Over the course of the season, for games that I can find stats on, Gunter opponents have been 50 for 127 for 420 yards, 1 TD and 8 INT (missing 4 games, but likely not much passing in these games).  How Gunter will handle the New Diana offense is an unknown.  I can admit that, but this coaching staff has proven in the past that they can contain it.  I don't expect Gunter to shut New Diana down completely, but I think they will limit them to two or three scores, though I think that even if ND gets 4 or 5 scores, it won't be enough to win.  That's just my take.   

No they never played. Its obvious that Gunter is good no doudt but they are no bigger but very well coached. Ive heard all year Diana has no defence but they make it week in  and week out. Diana o line extremely under rated. But i want to see this game throw all you know out window. If the diana  team tbat been playing each week in playoff ahows up then we got a damn good game and i hope it is. Gunter deserves all respect for what they have done there but dont you think those seniors for Diana have done the same they know 0-10 and most kids wouldnt given effort after years like that but they did. This might be special years for these kids and honestly if you goin to loose then best to loose to teams like that. Good luck to both. I think ND shocks the world maybe.

5 hours ago, Pax said:

You're right.  There are no pass-heavy teams that Gunter has played.  Leonard threw the ball just as much as they ran it in the Gunter game, but I wouldn't consider Leonard anywhere near the offense New Diana is.  Though, a big part of the reason Gunter was able score 70 against Leonard was because they threw the ball and slowed the game down giving Gunter more possessions, so it can be a double-edged sword sometimes.  Leonard was 5 for 26 in the Gunter game, and they had 26 carries in that game, so 50/50 rush : pass.  Other than that, Henrietta threw the ball 18 times and Pilot Point 17 times.  I wouldn't consider either of those pass-heavy.  Over the course of the season, for games that I can find stats on, Gunter opponents have been 50 for 127 for 420 yards, 1 TD and 8 INT (missing 4 games, but likely not much passing in these games).  How Gunter will handle the New Diana offense is an unknown.  I can admit that, but this coaching staff has proven in the past that they can contain it.  I don't expect Gunter to shut New Diana down completely, but I think they will limit them to two or three scores, though I think that even if ND gets 4 or 5 scores, it won't be enough to win.  That's just my take.   

Pottsboro QB was 12 for 29 for 87 yards, no TDs (no points), one int.  Pottsboro had 27 running plays for 94 yards.  Pottsboro is historically a good passing team and have made it deep in the 3A div 1 playoffs for several years including losing to Mineola in the region II final last season.  Pottsboro is 2-9 against Gunter in the last 11 years, including wins by Gunter the last 2 years,  Just for what is is worth.

Granted that was another year but our defense returned 7 or 8 from last year...Canadian has a balanced offense - their QB threw for 305 yards against us on 20 for 30, 3 TDs and 2 int.  Canadian rushed for 95 yards on 24 carries.  These are pretty good stats but they managed 27 offensive points in the game.  The last 7 came very late - a 65 yard bomb.  Canadian also had a strong defense - didn't find Gunter's yardage but we scored 44 and had 22 first downs.

Watching the entire ND/Jacksboro game, the ND QB reminds me of last year's Canadian QB, except the Canadian QB was bigger and a dual threat (though the ND QB has some running skills of his own - kind of Romo-like).

ND did complete a couple of deep balls - the receivers are very good coming down with the ball.  Big guys and good speed.  Hard to defend.  Much of the game it appeared Jacksboro got good pressure but the QB escaped.  Also there were some swing passes where Jacksboro whiffed on a big hit and the plays went for big yardage.  Just watching film I believe Gunter's tackling will be superior, though ND is athletic and will make some plays.

It has been a few days since I started on this thread so I hope I have not contradicted myself....

14 minutes ago, GTAlumnus said:

Pottsboro QB was 12 for 29 for 87 yards, no TDs (no points), one int.  Pottsboro had 27 running plays for 94 yards.  Pottsboro is historically a good passing team and have made it deep in the 3A div 1 playoffs for several years including losing to Mineola in the region II final last season.  Pottsboro is 2-9 against Gunter in the last 11 years, including wins by Gunter the last 2 years,  Just for what is is worth.

Granted that was another year but our defense returned 7 or 8 from last year...Canadian has a balanced offense - their QB threw for 305 yards against us on 20 for 30, 3 TDs and 2 int.  Canadian rushed for 95 yards on 24 carries.  These are pretty good stats but they managed 27 offensive points in the game.  The last 7 came very late - a 65 yard bomb.  Canadian also had a strong defense - didn't find Gunter's yardage but we scored 44 and had 22 first downs.

Watching the entire ND/Jacksboro game, the ND QB reminds me of last year's Canadian QB, except the Canadian QB was bigger and a dual threat (though the ND QB has some running skills of his own - kind of Romo-like).

ND did complete a couple of deep balls - the receivers are very good coming down with the ball.  Big guys and good speed.  Hard to defend.  Much of the game it appeared Jacksboro got good pressure but the QB escaped.  Also there were some swing passes where Jacksboro whiffed on a big hit and the plays went for big yardage.  Just watching film I believe Gunter's tackling will be superior, though ND is athletic and will make some plays.

It has been a few days since I started on this thread so I hope I have not contradicted myself....

still 2 days?  Its never gonna get here

26 minutes ago, GTAlumnus said:

I'm gonna have to go back and look at what I have for Pottsboro.  If I remember, it seems the 4 games I was missing were Howe, Whitewright, Chisum and Prairiland.  You're right, I just checked.  Those Pottsboro stats are probably included in my season total, but I just overlooked them on my list when looking for pass-heavy teams.

4 hours ago, GTAlumnus said:

Yep, I went back and looked, and I just overlooked the Pottsboro game when naming pass-heavy offenses, but they were included in the stat totals I had.  I can find opponent stats for 9 of Gunter's 13 games.  I'm missing Howe, Whitesboro, Cooper and Chisum.  I added slightly wrong before, but these are correct stats for those 9 games :

On defense :

Gunter has allowed 50 of 127 passing for 425 yards, 1 TD, 9 INT.  301 carries for 712 yards on the ground and 4 rushing TD.  This is 3.3 yards per attempt passing, and 2.4 yards per attempt rushing.  Overall, Gunter has allowed 2.7 yards per play in the 9 games opponents have stats for (for the record, it is highly likely that this would go down if the missing 4 games were considered).

On offense (I have stats for every game of the season) :

Gunter is 45 of 73 passing for 804 yards, 13 TD, 2 INT.  466 carries for 4,153 yards on the ground and 71 rushing TD.  This is 11.0 yards per attempt passing, and 8.9 yards per attempt rushing.  Overall, Gunter gains 9.2 yards per play.

I did the same thing as above for New Diana stats.  I found fewer opponents' stats.  Missing games for the purposes of ND defensive stats are :

White Oak, Hooks, Queen City, Ore City, Daingerfield, Leonard and Jacksboro

Considering the 6 games I do have stats for :

New Diana has allowed 48 of 89 passing for 775 yards, 7 TD, 5 INT.  284 carries for 1693 yards on the ground and 22 rushing TD.  This is 8.7 yards per attempt passing and 6.0 yards attempt rushing.  Overall, New Diana has allowed 6.6 yards per play in the 6 games opponents have stats for.

On offense :

New Diana is 281 of 429 for 4,657 yards, 61 TD, 13 INT.  311 Carries for 1,839 yards on the ground and 19 rushing TD.  This is 10.9 yards per attempt passing, and 5.9 yards per attempt rushing. Overall, New Diana gains 8.8 yards per offensive play.

9 hours ago, Pax said:

I did the same thing as above for New Diana stats.  I found fewer opponents' stats.  Missing games for the purposes of ND defensive stats are :

White Oak, Hooks, Queen City, Ore City, Daingerfield, Leonard and Jacksboro

Considering the 6 games I do have stats for :

New Diana has allowed 48 of 89 passing for 775 yards, 7 TD, 5 INT.  284 carries for 1693 yards on the ground and 22 rushing TD.  This is 8.7 yards per attempt passing and 6.0 yards attempt rushing.  Overall, New Diana has allowed 6.6 yards per play in the 6 games opponents have stats for.

On offense :

New Diana is 281 of 429 for 4,657 yards, 61 TD, 13 INT.  311 Carries for 1,839 yards on the ground and 19 rushing TD.  This is 10.9 yards per attempt passing, and 5.9 yards per attempt rushing. Overall, New Diana gains 8.8 yards per offensive play.

how much time do you spend on these games?  surely you have something better to do than crunch stats on every gunter game and every team they have played against for the past decade.

8 minutes ago, Bullhead44 said:

how much time do you spend on these games?  surely you have something better to do than crunch stats on every gunter game and every team they have played against for the past decade.

I think its a pretty cool hobby.

38 minutes ago, Bullhead44 said:

First, the numbers only include this season.  Past years would be irrelevant.  I couldn't think of anything I'd rather do during the time I was doing this, so no - I guess not.  Everyone on these forums probably has a better use for their time than posting and replying to posts here in these forums, but we all enjoy it, right? 

These are just yardage statistics.  I gave no opinions on the numbers; I just posted them, and yeah - I spent quite a bit of time on it, so I figured since I put in some work on it, it would be considerate of me to share it with those interested in the game to which those statistics apply.  If you're not interested, that's fine.  I still did the work and someone might be.  

I will give an opinion on those numbers now :

New Diana's offensive statistics are impressive.  The running game is just as impressive as the passing game; they just don't run it much.

• Like 1

Well it is my opinion on this game that the only way that New Diana wins this game is on defense.  I believe that they will score because they have great offensive minds on the sidelines and they will come up with a great game plan to counter the Gunter defense and make great adjustments during the game, both things that most teams did not do and I do not know why.  Not going to call out any team here.  I believe that New Diana will have to take chances on defense it will be the only way to make stops.  They are going to have to shoot gaps, get in the back field and disrupt things, something Daingerfield did well most of the first half.  There are certain formation clues in the Gunter offense and they have to figure them out and meet them head on.  If you do as most teams do against them and set back and read and wait then you are beat at the snap.  They will get burned a few times, but they have to take the chances on defense and be prepared to meet the back side plays in the backfield and know all of the formation clues, it is the only chance they have to make stops in my opinion and stops are the only way to stay in the game.  Also with the slow start every week that Gunter seems to have they have to score every time especially in the first half, try to build a lead and hold on.  Sounds easy enough, LOL

I'd also say that running these numbers made me realize that New Diana's defense - while I'm sure they'd like it to be better - is not terrible.  My opinion is that the reason they give up so many points is not because teams are able to run and pass at will on them, but because New Diana's offense is so fast that their opponents just get far more possessions than they normally do, and this is why New Diana is many times allowing more points than those opponents are used to getting.  That said, the fact remains that those opponents are indeed able to score more, and that's a problem if you're New Diana.  Imagine how dangerous New Diana would be if they did have a great defense. 

59 minutes ago, wildtigers said:

Well it is my opinion on this game that the only way that New Diana wins this game is on defense.  I believe that they will score because they have great offensive minds on the sidelines and they will come up with a great game plan to counter the Gunter defense and make great adjustments during the game, both things that most teams did not do and I do not know why.  Not going to call out any team here.  I believe that New Diana will have to take chances on defense it will be the only way to make stops.  They are going to have to shoot gaps, get in the back field and disrupt things, something Daingerfield did well most of the first half.  There are certain formation clues in the Gunter offense and they have to figure them out and meet them head on.  If you do as most teams do against them and set back and read and wait then you are beat at the snap.  They will get burned a few times, but they have to take the chances on defense and be prepared to meet the back side plays in the backfield and know all of the formation clues, it is the only chance they have to make stops in my opinion and stops are the only way to stay in the game.  Also with the slow start every week that Gunter seems to have they have to score every time especially in the first half, try to build a lead and hold on.  Sounds easy enough, LOL

I'm not so sure that Gunter started slow in those games more so than their opponent just had a great game plan.  Henrietta came out with a 9+ minute scoring drive that ate up most of the first quarter.  Their second drive was only slightly shorter - another scoring drive.  Gunter only had three possessions in the first half because Henrietta wouldn't let them have the ball (credit to Henrietta), and the halftime score was 17-13 as a result.  Gunter still scored on every possession, but that's how you beat Gunter.  Keep their offense off the field, and score on your own time-consuming drives.  Henrietta just couldn't sustain that in the second half because those first two long drives consistently got into 3rd and long and 4th and long, and they consistently converted - couldn't do it in the second half, and Henrietta turned the ball over a lot in the second half.  You can't do that against Gunter.

Gunter can't do that either - as they were the ones turning the ball over in the first half against Daingerfield.  Gunter had good drives going, and turned the ball over twice.  Daingerfield was also driving and turned the ball over at near the goal line.  It was a pretty ugly first half, but turnovers were more the issue rather than starting slow.

Gunter didn't start slow against Holliday.  They just had some weird things happen early in that game.  Holliday was able to keep Gunter's offense off the field by having a field goal attempt blocked, recovered by Gunter, and then Gunter fumbled it right back to Holliday during the runback of the recovery, and Holliday recovered with a fresh set of downs.  Gunter's offense never saw the field during that time, and it was 0-0 at that time.  Could have been a huge momentum shift, but Gunter was still able to hold, but that kept their offense off the field for the time being.  Other than their very first possession, Gunter got in the end zone on each of their possessions against Holliday.