6A Division II State Quarterfinals: Longview vs Lufkin

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (12-1) vs Lufkin Panthers (11-2)  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Lufkin in a close one
    • Lufkin in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/09/2017 at 07:00 AM

54 minutes ago, Gametyme said:

You would know better then I would. Vondrell was by far and away best RB we saw that season. 

He's wrong. 

Chris was by far the better player than Vondrell, even in high school. Their numbers as far as speed goes were close (one was 4.44 and one was 4.45 with Chris being slower, I believe). But Chris was a MUCH stronger runner (and bigger by about 20-30 pounds). He could've easily played RB in place of Vondrell and was slated to if things went differently than they did in the 2004 Marshall game (the two combined for 411 yards rushing so we stuck with it). Vondrell didn't care about the game they way Chris did. He didn't have his head on straight in HS, and that caught up to him in college. Trent Williams was the same way but he straightened out and worked hard at OU. 

Everyone remembers the flash of Vondrell and his long runs, but those long runs wouldn't have worked nearly as great as they did if Ivory wasn't so effective. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Pack007 said:

Hmm.....Can’t remember the year, but  i think that was a score in one of our playoff games several years back. I think it was against another team in tacky green uniforms at SFA too. 🤔

Barney wears purple doesn't he 

1 hour ago, JohnnyFootball said:

He's wrong. 

I'm actually right.

The only reason people go back and say Ivory > Vondrell was because of Ivory's success post HS and Vondrell's lack of success post HS. But no one was saying that when they were both in HS. I've heard Chris himself say that McGee was the man, you need no more validation than that. 

Both were great for sure none the less. By far the best Longview backfield duo in Lobo history but if Ivory was supposedly so much better at RB than VM, I'd think the staff would have had VM at fullback instead.

2 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Everyone remembers the flash of Vondrell and his long runs, but those long runs wouldn't have worked nearly as great as they did if Ivory wasn't so effective. 

You can literally say that about any John King RB then.

"He wouldn't have worked nearly as great if it weren't for the FB in front of him"

2 hours ago, DaBears1 said:

How hard is it gonna be to get a ticket at the gate?

I would get them before the game. I fully expect it to be over 17,000 in attendance on Saturday and just wouldn’t want to get caught in the mess.

7 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

He's wrong. 

Chris was by far the better player than Vondrell, even in high school. Their numbers as far as speed goes were close (one was 4.44 and one was 4.45 with Chris being slower, I believe). But Chris was a MUCH stronger runner (and bigger by about 20-30 pounds). He could've easily played RB in place of Vondrell and was slated to if things went differently than they did in the 2004 Marshall game (the two combined for 411 yards rushing so we stuck with it). Vondrell didn't care about the game they way Chris did. He didn't have his head on straight in HS, and that caught up to him in college. Trent Williams was the same way but he straightened out and worked hard at OU. 

I always respect your knowledge of the HS game especially Longview. One thing is for certain. Ivory worked his tail off to get where he is at today. Personally I dont see how he wouldn't had been effective at RB given the opportunity but given the situation I think King got it right as far at what is best for the team. 

29 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

I would get them before the game. I fully expect it to be over 17,000 in attendance on Saturday and just wouldn’t want to get caught in the mess.

I think we are going to see similar numbers like in 04. This game will get over 20,000 and if they hit the 27000 mark again. It wouldn't surprise me. Its been a long time since Lufkin has been here. The bandwagon will be in full effect tomorrow.

7 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

it doesn't matter if Longview loses this week, next week or in the State Championship... you will find someone come on here to bash him, despite doing all of this at one of the smallest schools in 6A.

Coach King could coach at Lufkin any day of the week for me. That's how much I respect what he has done at Longview. Same type of kids. No doubt he could make it work just like I think Outlaw could had done in Longview. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Bclove05 said:

Got our tickets on Tuesday. Anyone know how many tickets have been sold so far for each school?

Longview had over 2,000 on the first day...  near that on the second day. Was crowded this morning when I went by there to talk with King. 

16 hours ago, ANTI said:

I'm actually right.

The only reason people go back and say Ivory > Vondrell was because of Ivory's success post HS and Vondrell's lack of success post HS. But no one was saying that when they were both in HS. I've heard Chris himself say that McGee was the man, you need no more validation than that. 

Both were great for sure none the less. By far the best Longview backfield duo in Lobo history but if Ivory was supposedly so much better at RB than VM, I'd think the staff would have had VM at fullback instead.

No, I don't "go back" and say it because Ivory had more success post college. I say it because I played, practiced, and worked out with them for years and witnessed things first hand. I said it at the time after we played Evangel at Independence (the 24-21 OT game) after I saw and "felt" Chris running over fools left and right as I was blocking. Dude was a man, even in HS. 

Why put Chris at tailback because he's "better"? That position wasn't "reserved for a better athlete" with his backup being tossed at FB. Chris was FB because he was 6'1" and 210-220 lbs while Vondrell was 5'10" and 190. Just their body types alone meant Chris would be better at FB. But he could also play outside as needed- he was just as fast. 

5 minutes ago, Lobouno said:

I think Longview will have more fans at this one 

I doubt it. Lufkin views this as a home game and finally has their bandwagon “full” again. 

If Longview has a 50/50 split going, it’ll be a good thing. But I doubt even that happens.