GUNTER vs CANADIAN again

blueflu

Canadian vs Gunter  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

• (14-0) Canadian Wildcats
    • (14-0) Gunter Tigers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/16/2017 at 12:30 AM

I want to see Gunter vs. Newton in championship game next week.  Set on Gunter side last Friday night and was really impressed with both sides of the ball for blu-tigers.  I left at halftime of 45-0 blowout.  If Canadian can match up w/Gunter's athletic off/def lines then maybe they can trade scores for awhile.  But late game heroics will favor the farm-boys of Gunter!  I'll say 42-28 Tigers and remember   "I'll do the thinning around here".

Gunter of course has no control over its weak district, and does schedule what are historically good teams and always has one of the tougher schedules in the state.  The district with Pottsboro, Whitesboro, Pilot Point, and Howe is usually a top 3A Div 1 district - usually stronger than the 4A teams in the area (Whitesboro beat 2 4A teams this season).  Unfortunately these teams were not as strong this season as in the past.  Whitesboro did go 3 rounds deep, losing to Grandview by 7.  Gunter beat Whitesboro 53-12.

This game will clearly be the toughest game this season so far for Gunter, and likely for Canadian as well though Childress might have something to say about that.  They were within a point of Canadian before Canadian pulled away with a couple of scores late.

Gunter has not had a close game (26-0 vs Pottsboro the closest) so hopefully that won't hurt Gunter.

Both teams have very good defenses, and having seen all of Gunter's game I don't think I have seen a better defense overall.  The starters have given up maybe a couple of TDs for the year.  They will be facing an excellent, balanced offense from Canadian.

5 minutes ago, GTAlumnus said:

Gunter of course has no control over its weak district, and does schedule what are historically good teams and always has one of the tougher schedules in the state.  The district with Pottsboro, Whitesboro, Pilot Point, and Howe is usually a top 3A Div 1 district - usually stronger than the 4A teams in the area (Whitesboro beat 2 4A teams this season).  Unfortunately these teams were not as strong this season as in the past.  Whitesboro did go 3 rounds deep, losing to Grandview by 7.  Gunter beat Whitesboro 53-12.

This game will clearly be the toughest game this season so far for Gunter, and likely for Canadian as well though Childress might have something to say about that.  They were within a point of Canadian before Canadian pulled away with a couple of scores late.

Gunter has not had a close game (26-0 vs Pottsboro the closest) so hopefully that won't hurt Gunter.

Both teams have very good defenses, and having seen all of Gunter's game I don't think I have seen a better defense overall.  The starters have given up maybe a couple of TDs for the year.  They will be facing an excellent, balanced offense from Canadian.

May the best team win....which I believe will be Gunter.

17 hours ago, GTAlumnus said:

I don't see anything to exploit on either team.  I have watched all 30 games of the Gunter's winning streak and one Canadian game during that stretch. 

The coaches will game plan then adjust more than once.   Could come down to special teams or mistakes.  Gunter has been great on special teams all year.  I suspect Canadian is too.  Looks like good weather - last year's game it was cold.

Gunter traveled 125 miles for the game last year while Canadian traveled 216 miles.  Canadian has had great success in last year's venue so I doubt the extra 100 miles was a factor.

This year Gunter will travel 175 miles while Canadian goes 165.

I think Canadian has played in Vernon recently, Gunter played in that stadium about 46 years ago.  It was about zero degrees with a 5 foot snow bank all around the perimeter of the field which was natural grass.  If it is the same stadium the field is sunk below ground level, in a bowl.  According to google maps it looks like there is hardly any parking.

Last year Gunter was the home team, this year Canadian is the home team.

Gunter is home team

1 hour ago, blueflu said:

just askin, do u think there is a psychological advantage for GT

If Gunter thinks they have a psychological advantage, then Canadian has a psychological advantage.  I doubt Gunter thinks that though.

That said, if one team has a psychological advantage over the other, it will manifest itself on the first play of the game and be worth about half a yard.  Everyone will forget about it after that.

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

On 12/12/2017 at 5:10 AM, REBgp said:

Obviously, both teams are great.  And Pak does an excellent analysis, but since Gunters results are so impressive on their wins, I checked the non-district opponents.  All 3A teams with for the most part, bad records.  Canadian, on the other hand, had a good win over 4A Bushland who lost last week to Graham, plus what appears to be a slightly tougher District.  Based on my feeble analysis, I'm going with Canadian in a squeaker.  As evenly matched as these two teams are (on paper) I think whoever wins the turnover stat probably wins the game.  One thing most of us agree on, it ought to be a good'un.  Those in attendance will get their money's worth.

Yeah, I think Canadian played a tougher pre-district schedule, but if I run the numbers the way I normally do only considering pre-district games, I get 23-23.  Literally a dead lock.  The problem is, Canadian played a couple of 4A schools, so those might have skewed these numbers a bit because those opponents are playing better opponents, etc..  They also played a 2A D1 school who I think is still playing this week.  Gunter played all 3A D1 schools, only one of which made it past round 1.  I would certainly agree with you that it looks as though Canadian played the tougher schedule, but the numbers don't really support it - which is why I just ignore them (though in this case, including them wouldn't have skewed my results).  Gunter's pre-district games over the last several years all come from the same district, so by virtue of that fact, they will always be playing at least 3 teams that didn't win their district, and that can make the schedule look weak (although this year, I'd agree that it actually was weak aside from Whitesboro who made it 3 rounds deep this year).

As far as the district schedule goes, I think Childress alone makes Canadian's district stronger, but outside that, I'd bet they are fairly even.  I haven't looked very hard at that though.  One thing I will say is that if Gunter's district was weaker, I don't think it makes Gunter look stronger than they actually are.  I think it makes them look weaker than actual.  Looking at Canadian's schedule, I'm pretty sure they have several games like this, but Gunter was off the gas pedal very early in all of their district games.  In the 6 district games Gunter played, their average halftime score in those games was 43.6 - 0.  The starters were pulled before the half in some of these games, but were out by mid-3rd quarter in all of them (clock running as well), so even if you could look at those games and say "yeah, but that was against a really weak team", that is more than offset by the fact that it could have been WAY worse.  The same could be said for a lot of Canadian games I'm sure.  The point I'm trying to make is that regardless of which team played the tougher schedule, both teams handled that schedule the way they should have been expected to if they are both as good as we think they both are.  Childress being an exception, but I don't think anyone here denies that Childress is a really good football team.  Certainly better than the #2 in Gunter's district. 

• Thanks 1

On December 12, 2017 at 5:57 PM, blueflu said:

just askin, do u think there is a psychological advantage for GT

I think they may have a focused psychological edge. They're smart enough to know Canadian will be a tough opponent but they also know that they can win if they play gunter  football .

On December 13, 2017 at 1:09 PM, Pax said:

Yeah, I think Canadian played a tougher pre-district schedule, but if I run the numbers the way I normally do only considering pre-district games, I get 23-23.  Literally a dead lock.  The problem is, Canadian played a couple of 4A schools, so those might have skewed these numbers a bit because those opponents are playing better opponents, etc..  They also played a 2A D1 school who I think is still playing this week.  Gunter played all 3A D1 schools, only one of which made it past round 1.  I would certainly agree with you that it looks as though Canadian played the tougher schedule, but the numbers don't really support it - which is why I just ignore them (though in this case, including them wouldn't have skewed my results).  Gunter's pre-district games over the last several years all come from the same district, so by virtue of that fact, they will always be playing at least 3 teams that didn't win their district, and that can make the schedule look weak (although this year, I'd agree that it actually was weak aside from Whitesboro who made it 3 rounds deep this year).

As far as the district schedule goes, I think Childress alone makes Canadian's district stronger, but outside that, I'd bet they are fairly even.  I haven't looked very hard at that though.  One thing I will say is that if Gunter's district was weaker, I don't think it makes Gunter look stronger than they actually are.  I think it makes them look weaker than actual.  Looking at Canadian's schedule, I'm pretty sure they have several games like this, but Gunter was off the gas pedal very early in all of their district games.  In the 6 district games Gunter played, their average halftime score in those games was 43.6 - 0.  The starters were pulled before the half in some of these games, but were out by mid-3rd quarter in all of them (clock running as well), so even if you could look at those games and say "yeah, but that was against a really weak team", that is more than offset by the fact that it could have been WAY worse.  The same could be said for a lot of Canadian games I'm sure.  The point I'm trying to make is that regardless of which team played the tougher schedule, both teams handled that schedule the way they should have been expected to if they are both as good as we think they both are.  Childress being an exception, but I don't think anyone here denies that Childress is a really good football team.  Certainly better than the #2 in Gunter's district. 

Lol, you make a good point about first team playing time.  Both teams starters might get a little tired about start of the 4th Qtr.  And Gunter's closet game being a 26-0  :woot:.   Wow, that's impressive.

Should be an epic battle. Gunter averages 319 rushing yards per game while Canadian is only allowing 67 rushing yards a game. I'm not sure what Gunter allows per game. Very low I'm sure.  Canadian averages 464 yards per game. Balanced with 208 rushing yards and 256 passing yards. Something's gotta give. All respect to Gunter but of course I'm taking the Wildcats in this one. 

You can listen to our radio broadcast on our free Canadian Sports Network App or online at www.canadiansportsnet.com

Going back and looking at all the Gunter games I have predicted this year based on my system, and over the course of the whole season, the offense has scored pretty close to what the numbers show.  They've scored - on average - about 3.5 more points per game than what the numbers predicted.   I've been undershooting the Gunter defense though - and pretty consistently - by almost two scores per game.  Overall, Gunter has been - on average - about 12.5 points better on defense than I have predicted.  I predicted a 35-28 game in this one (though the numbers actually say 35-31), so if that trend continues on average, the final in this one would be Gunter 39, Canadian 20.  I'm sticking with my 35-28 prediction, but just thought I'd throw out this sort of numbers within the numbers prediction too.