GUNTER vs CANADIAN again

blueflu

Canadian vs Gunter  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

• (14-0) Canadian Wildcats
    • (14-0) Gunter Tigers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/16/2017 at 12:30 AM

No doubt gunter is head over heels better than Newton... I've seen both play and was very impressed with Newton D but O was off and undisciplined maybe they clean that up and play better and give their selves a shot.... Just my honest opinion, Gunter is sound fit 48 minutes no mistakes and make you pay for yours.... Good luck both squads this week

4 minutes ago, jett2010 said:

No doubt gunter is head over heels better than Newton... I've seen both play and was very impressed with Newton D but O was off and undisciplined maybe they clean that up and play better and give their selves a shot.... Just my honest opinion, Gunter is sound fit 48 minutes no mistakes and make you pay for yours.... Good luck both squads this week

Canadian is always tough to beat.  Gunther is also a great.  Probably the one that plays better D that night wins.  I can’t begin to pick this one

From here on out, I'm only considering district games and beyond.  I've found it to be more accurate.

Gunter is averaging 52.9 ppg against defenses that allow 25.8 ppg - and allowing 4.3 ppg to offenses that average 30.1 ppg.

Canadian is averaging 53.7 ppg against defenses that allow 24.2 ppg - and allowing 9.4 ppg to offenses that average 28.4 ppg.

Considering all games played (district and beyond), I get Gunter in a 35-31 win.  This is a toss-up.  No question.

If Canadian equals their worst game this year while Gunter equals their best game, I get Canadian in a 49-30 win.  If we get Gunter's best vs Canadian's worst, I get Gunter in a 62-27 win.  This is my theoretical range of possibilities.

Considering only playoff games, I get Gunter 33-31.  Considering only games where the opponent averages over 30 points per game, I get Gunter in a 37-24 win.  Considering only those games where the opponent's defense gives up fewer than 21 points per game, I get Gunter in a 30-19 win.

Canadian will be the most balanced offense that Gunter has seen, and Gunter will be the most dominant defense that Canadian has seen, and I'm pretty sure the exact same thing could have been said exactly one year ago.  Two great teams going at it.  It just doesn't get better than this.  I gotta go with Gunter in this one though.  I would be surprised if the margin is more than 10 points in this one.  I'm taking Gunter in a 35-28 win. 

44 minutes ago, Pax said:

From here on out, I'm only considering district games and beyond.  I've found it to be more accurate.

Gunter is averaging 52.9 ppg against defenses that allow 25.8 ppg - and allowing 4.3 ppg to offenses that average 30.1 ppg.

Canadian is averaging 53.7 ppg against defenses that allow 24.2 ppg - and allowing 9.4 ppg to offenses that average 28.4 ppg.

Considering all games played (district and beyond), I get Gunter in a 35-31 win.  This is a toss-up.  No question.

If Canadian equals their worst game this year while Gunter equals their best game, I get Canadian in a 49-30 win.  If we get Gunter's best vs Canadian's worst, I get Gunter in a 62-27 win.  This is my theoretical range of possibilities.

Considering only playoff games, I get Gunter 33-31.  Considering only games where the opponent averages over 30 points per game, I get Gunter in a 37-24 win.  Considering only those games where the opponent's defense gives up fewer than 21 points per game, I get Gunter in a 30-19 win.

Canadian will be the most balanced offense that Gunter has seen, and Gunter will be the most dominant defense that Canadian has seen, and I'm pretty sure the exact same thing could have been said exactly one year ago.  Two great teams going at it.  It just doesn't get better than this.  I gotta go with Gunter in this one though.  I would be surprised if the margin is more than 10 points in this one.  I'm taking Gunter in a 35-28 win. 

Thanks Pax and go get em Tigers !

I know it has been a couple of years and teams change as players graduate, but it sure is hard to bet against a school that won back-to-back state titles in football AND basketball in the same years.  That is a winning culture if I have ever seen one. Canadian by 4

I don't see anything to exploit on either team.  I have watched all 30 games of the Gunter's winning streak and one Canadian game during that stretch. 

The coaches will game plan then adjust more than once.   Could come down to special teams or mistakes.  Gunter has been great on special teams all year.  I suspect Canadian is too.  Looks like good weather - last year's game it was cold.

Gunter traveled 125 miles for the game last year while Canadian traveled 216 miles.  Canadian has had great success in last year's venue so I doubt the extra 100 miles was a factor.

This year Gunter will travel 175 miles while Canadian goes 165.

I think Canadian has played in Vernon recently, Gunter played in that stadium about 46 years ago.  It was about zero degrees with a 5 foot snow bank all around the perimeter of the field which was natural grass.  If it is the same stadium the field is sunk below ground level, in a bowl.  According to google maps it looks like there is hardly any parking.

Last year Gunter was the home team, this year Canadian is the home team.

Obviously, both teams are great.  And Pak does an excellent analysis, but since Gunters results are so impressive on their wins, I checked the non-district opponents.  All 3A teams with for the most part, bad records.  Canadian, on the other hand, had a good win over 4A Bushland who lost last week to Graham, plus what appears to be a slightly tougher District.  Based on my feeble analysis, I'm going with Canadian in a squeaker.  As evenly matched as these two teams are (on paper) I think whoever wins the turnover stat probably wins the game.  One thing most of us agree on, it ought to be a good'un.  Those in attendance will get their money's worth.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, REBgp said:

Obviously, both teams are great.  And Pak does an excellent analysis, but since Gunters results are so impressive on their wins, I checked the non-district opponents.  All 3A teams with for the most part, bad records.  Canadian, on the other hand, had a good win over 4A Bushland who lost last week to Graham, plus what appears to be a slightly tougher District.  Based on my feeble analysis, I'm going with Canadian in a squeaker.  As evenly matched as these two teams are (on paper) I think whoever wins the turnover stat probably wins the game.  One thing most of us agree on, it ought to be a good'un.  Those in attendance will get their money's worth.

Good analysis ... if this game wasn't so far away I think I would try to go see it.  This is defiantly going to be a better game than the Newton/Boling game ... Gunter has to be the favorite, but I agree Canadian has played the tougher schedule ... 

• Thanks 1

Vernon's stadium is in a bowl....its not a bad little place....but yes there's not a ton parking there...there's a lot on the visitors side and a lot across the street from the stadium...but that's about it..when I cover games there I usually stop and eat in Wichita Falls...a few more selections lol

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, REBgp said:

Beating Vernon is no small thing. Vernon is a 4a with an enrollment of 602

46 minutes ago, JV_COACH said:

Beating Vernon is no small thing. Vernon is a 4a with an enrollment of 602

Proves my point.  Don't know what the enrollment of Busland is, but they're 4A and made it to the Quarterfinals and Canadian beat them 47-23.  Now that was the first game of the season, but still, that's impressive.  At first glance, Gunter looks the better of the two, and may be, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is a one point, or OT win.  Really great matchup.   

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, REBgp said:

Proves my point.  Don't know what the enrollment of Busland is, but they're 4A and made it to the Quarterfinals and Canadian beat them 47-23.  Now that was the first game of the season, but still, that's impressive.  At first glance, Gunter looks the better of the two, and may be, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is a one point, or OT win.  Really great matchup.   

I hope it's a very close game. It will get the blue tigers ready for Newton 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, REBgp said:

It's easy to forget how good Canadian is, being that they are 93 miles from Kansas. Canadian plays to win, in everything. Did they not beat Dallardsville Big Sandy at State in basketball? And we know how good those boys for the  Alabama-Coushatta tribe could play.

• Thanks 1