Carthage vs Waco La Vega at The Star Friday, December 15, 2017 at 7:30 PM

ctown94

Carthage vs La Vega  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

• (14-0) La Vega Pirates
    • (14-0) Carthage Bulldogs

21 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Definitely not favored in that game. That was supposed to be a building year and Surratt & Co may have done their best coaching job that year getting CHS all the way to the semifinals. 

The Dawgs were also missing a ton of key players that game and had been without K Ingram most of the year.

Keontay got hurt in th Sillsbee game which was the 14th game of the year. He was definitely playing incredible for a sophomore towards the end of the season.

7 minutes ago, dean1345 said:

Keontay got hurt in th Sillsbee game which was the 14th game of the year. He was definitely playing incredible for a sophomore towards the end of the season.

He was hurt during most of the regular season.  We only got to see him in a couple games that year before his injury in the playoffs.  When he went down i knew our days were numbered.

8 minutes ago, DAWG91 said:

He was hurt during most of the regular season.  We only got to see him in a couple games that year before his injury in the playoffs.  When he went down i knew our days were numbered.

Ingram had an incredible game against Navasota.......He will be fun to watch next year at UT.

2 minutes ago, Lion70 said:

Better team won still rooting for Vega no matter how much you plead

It is obvious that the DISDAIN for Carthage is too much to overcome for you to ever root for the Dawgs.

My problem is that you don't realize it makes the DOD look so much stronger when a representative win the State Championship.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, DAWG91 said:

Im not gonna lie this game makes me nervous.  I just keep remembering how dang fast vega was in '15.  I know its not the same team but i gotta see it to believe it i guess.

Thanks for that reminder, could have lived without that one.

They will be able to run, no doubt about that. 

But will the be disciplined enough to handle the play action pass? I don't think so.

36 minutes ago, DAWG91 said:

Im not gonna lie this game makes me nervous.  I just keep remembering how dang fast vega was in '15.  I know its not the same team but i gotta see it to believe it i guess.

It’s the 5th round of the playoffs with a berth in the SC game on the line.  We should be a little nervous but we should also be confident in our team and our abilities.  We are not supposed to roll our opponents by 25+ at this point in the season.

It will take our best effort to win.  LV will make us pay for turnovers and pre-snap penalties that put us in 2nd & long or 3rd & long situations on Off.  The Dawg D must play assignment football and react to their reads and play their position every snap.  Maximum effort!  This will be a heavy weight matchup with lots of physical play in the trenches and not as much scoring as we are accustomed to.  That is not a bad thing so don’t lose faith if the halftime score is 14-7 or 17-14 either way.

We know what LV is going to try to do.  They may put in some new wrinkles this week on offense to try and catch us misaligned but make no mistake they are going to try to run it right at us behind their big O line.  Carthage on the other hand will show run & pass on the first couple possessions with multiple formations to look for mismatches in LV’s defensive scheme.  We will eventually find the weakness and exploit it.  That’s just what we do.  There is a game within the game and it is a Surratt vs Williams chess match!

It’s gut check time at The Star Fri night at 7:30pm for a shot at a State Title.  After 16 weeks of discussion I believe we will get one step closer to answering the question - “How good is this team?”

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

For team team that was loaded with sophomores in 2015 (LV) they must not have gotten any better if you think Carthage is going to beat them by 14+ point as most of you guys are predicting.  Their defense may have the D1 talent they did in 2015, but over all I would say they are better.  They have a better run defense then the 2015 team,  and they are solid in the secondary.  By no means do I think they will hold Carthage to 3 points like 2015 but I do not see LV giving up more then 17 to 21 point in this game.  As for stopping the running game I'm pretty sure that has been the goal every team LV has faced this year.  I've seen team put 9 in the box late in games and LV still run the ball.  I've seen this team in person several times they are every bit of the 2015 team.  I agree Carthage is a great team and saying they are the best team in 4a wouldn't be an overstatement .  To think you are going to roll over a team that is as good as La Vega would be a poor miscalculation.  Do I think Carthage can win this game I don't know I haven't seen them in person, I know Carthage is good but so is LV.  Food for thought.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, trueblue32 said:

LaVega wears out midway thru  the 3rd quarter, that and the 4th quarter is  when most of the points against them have been scored. 

That the same with Carthage because most of the point are scored against the second string for both teams.  

• Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, coachkells said:

For team team that was loaded with sophomores in 2015 (LV) they must not have gotten any better if you think Carthage is going to beat them by 14+ point as most of you guys are predicting.  Their defense may have the D1 talent they did in 2015, but over all I would say they are better.  They have a better run defense then the 2015 team,  and they are solid in the secondary.  By no means do I think they will hold Carthage to 3 points like 2015 but I do not see LV giving up more then 17 to 21 point in this game.  As for stopping the running game I'm pretty sure that has been the goal every team LV has faced this year.  I've seen team put 9 in the box late in games and LV still run the ball.  I've seen this team in person several times they are every bit of the 2015 team.  I agree Carthage is a great team and saying they are the best team in 4a wouldn't be an overstatement .  To think you are going to roll over a team that is as good as La Vega would be a poor miscalculation.  Do I think Carthage can win this game I don't know I haven't seen them in person, I know Carthage is good but so is LV.  Food for thought.  

Neither team scores 30 and the winning team wins by single digits.

48 minutes ago, coachkells said:

I know how good that 2015 team was. Question is, what happened last year?  Did they lose a fluke game to CS? The Carthage team that won state beat CS, and this years Dawgs are better than last year in most areas, especially on D!

Edited by JBizzle
Spelling

1 minute ago, JBizzle said:

I know how good that 2015 team was. Question is, what happened last year?  Did they lose a fluke game to CS? The Carthage team that won satiate beat CS, and this years Dawgs are better than last year in most areas, especially on D!

I would say that missing #6 in that game was a big loss for LV.  CS ran at his replacement the entire game,  and they were better then LV  was on  that day. You have to remember Bell and Williams know each other very well and beating a team as good as CS was twice in a year isn't an easy task.  I'm sure you wouldn't have wanted to see them again.  

They ran into a great defense in CS, couldn’t consistently move the ball/score, got frustrated and lost. 

LV scored 17 points then 10 points on CS in their two games last year. CS had a very good defense last year and I believe this year’s Carthage defense is as good or better than the CS defense from a year ago.

The Carthage defense and run game will win this game for CHS.

17 minutes ago, coachkells said:

I would say that missing #6 in that game was a big loss for LV.  CS ran at his replacement the entire game,  and they were better then LV  was on  that day. You have to remember Bell and Williams know each other very well and beating a team as good as CS was twice in a year isn't an easy task.  I'm sure you wouldn't have wanted to see them again.  

Didn't say that I would.  I was asking the question, coach.

• Thanks 1