Carthage vs Waco La Vega at The Star Friday, December 15, 2017 at 7:30 PM

ctown94

Carthage vs La Vega  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

• (14-0) La Vega Pirates
    • (14-0) Carthage Bulldogs

4 minutes ago, dean1345 said:

I am sure I have but don't recall. I can say if I had a child or family playing I most surely would. I live about 10 miles from Navasota near Washington on the Brazos State Park. I know Lee Fedora but other than that not many player families. I have only attended 4 or 5 Rattler games since Coach Fedora left. 

I know you think I am just a homer fan and that is fine.  The game was very enjoyable to watch.  Invest $10 and watch it in Texan Live and see if I’m wrong.  Carthage put 28 on the board in the 1st half.  We had 1st & 10 around the LV 20-25 yard line before the first unforced fumble.  That lead to 7 points for LV as they hit a couple of big running plays and a PI call going the other way.  Carthage was 1st & goal inside LV 10 yard line on next possession and actually scored but a holding penalty negated the TD and pushed us back about the 19 yard line.  A couple of incomplete passes later we tried a 29 yard FG that was wide right.  LV drove down and missed a FG right before half.  I am not mis-characterizing the 1st half when I say it should have been 35-7.

26 minutes ago, DawgNation2015 said:

I know you think I am just a homer fan and that is fine.  The game was very enjoyable to watch.  Invest $10 and watch it in Texan Live and see if I’m wrong.  Carthage put 28 on the board in the 1st half.  We had 1st & 10 around the LV 20-25 yard line before the first unforced fumble.  That lead to 7 points for LV as they hit a couple of big running plays and a PI call going the other way.  Carthage was 1st & goal inside LV 10 yard line on next possession and actually scored but a holding penalty negated the TD and pushed us back about the 19 yard line.  A couple of incomplete passes later we tried a 29 yard FG that was wide right.  LV drove down and missed a FG right before half.  I am not mis-characterizing the 1st half when I say it should have been 35-7.

I would focus more on Kennedale and move on from the LV game. Two very good teams played and you WON.

I look for Carthage to not have as many turnovers, but are we sure they won't win even if they do turn the ball over? Obviously you don't want to be in that position, but Carthage has over came it before. 2 years in a row we lost the turnover battle and won the game. 4 in 2017 and 5 in 2016. Carthage is pretty good at turning the other team over as well. Carthage opponents have turned it over 38 times and the D has scored 8-9 TD this season. Carthage has the team to overcome some turnovers, as long as we force the other team to turn it over a couple of times. Carthage is averaging 2.5 take always a game. If Carthage sticks to the average and force Kennedale to turn it over 2 times Carthage will be fine. I wouldn't look for Carthage to turn it bet more than 3 times for sure. 

One of my bigger concerns other than turnovers for the LV game was all the 3rd and 4th and longs the D gave up. LV was in desperation mode early so they were going for it a lot, but if I remember correctly 2 TD passes came on 4th and long. For sure 1 was a 4th and 8, the other might have been on 3rd down not 100% sure. Obviously LV was a game team, but you have to get those stops. Kennedale's offense is just as good as LV, so that is something Carthage will have to do better.