Carthage vs Waco La Vega at The Star Friday, December 15, 2017 at 7:30 PM

ctown94

Carthage vs La Vega  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

• (14-0) La Vega Pirates
    • (14-0) Carthage Bulldogs

1 hour ago, coachkells said:

The Kilgore game.  Not once have I said you guys weren't good because you are.  But I don't think you guys know how good La Vega is. I could be totally wrong and Carthage might blow LV out but IMHO I don't see that happening.  I'm not you average Joe fan either I have coached In Texas at the varsity level for 10 years.  I've seen good football and you both play it.  

I'm by my no means disagreeing. Actually I couldn't agree more with your assessment. I do not know who will win and I am definitely not making any outlandish predictions. Thanks for the feedback.

Anybody that was at the LV game in 2015 has a pretty good idea of how good LV has the potential to be. But with that said you don't replace 4 D1 players just like that. Carthage fans know. Had to do it in 2013. To be honest Carthage is just now back to that level. It took 3, almost 4 years. If LV is as good as they were in 2015 this is going to be a game that will be remembered for a very long time. Carthage is on that same kind of level this year from what I have seen based on the competition they have played. But who really knows. Carthage might have played a buncha cupcakes. We stay in our region playing ball. So it's very hard to compare schedules and even strength of schedule. I have seen film on LV, and they are impressive. But I don't know enough to understand how good the opposition is. I would say LV fans or people from the Centex region would say the same. That's what makes these games deep in the playoffs so exciting. It's the unknowns.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DTrump said:

What about Taequan Taylor? Is he as good as advertised?

If you give him space to run he will take full advantage, above average hands and speed.  He is one of the many tools LV has.  When I was at the Canyon Lake game he caught a quick hitter made one guy miss and no one was going to catch him.  

3 minutes ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

Anybody that was at the LV game in 2015 has a pretty good idea of how good LV has the potential to be. But with that said you don't replace 4 D1 players just like that. Carthage fans know. Had to do it in 2013. To be honest Carthage is just now back to that level. It took 3, almost 4 years. If LV is as good as they were in 2015 this is going to be a game that will be remembered for a very long time. Carthage is on that same kind of level this year from what I have seen based on the competition they have played. But who really knows. Carthage might have played a buncha cupcakes. We stay in our region playing ball. So it's very hard to compare schedules and even strength of schedule. I have seen film on LV, and they are impressive. But I don't know enough to understand how good the opposition is. I would say LV fans or people from the Centex region would say the same. That's what makes these games deep in the playoffs so exciting. It's the unknowns.

Exactly my point both teams are 14-0 and didn't get there on accident.  This game will be one to remember.

La Vega is going to be confused as a boy's first time in a gentleman's club with 5 stages going at once, they won't have a clue which way they need to look to make sure they don't miss something. The tricks that Surratt and company come up with will be mind boggling, keep up if you can! Go Dawgs!!!! 

• LOL! 1

48 minutes ago, CDAWG68 said:

La Vega is going to be confused as a boy's first time in a gentleman's club with 5 stages going at once, they won't have a clue which way they need to look to make sure they don't miss something. The tricks that Surratt and company come up with will be mind boggling, keep up if you can! Go Dawgs!!!! 

I highly doubt that, Carthage is the number one team in the state. If they have to come up with tricks to beat a team then something is wrong. Good teams do what they do because they are good at it.  From what I've read on here Carthage is a very balanced offense with multiple weapons and a very good defense.  Why get fancy now?

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, coachkells said:

I highly doubt that Carthage is the number one team in the state. If they have to come up with tricks to beat a team then something is wrong. Good teams do what they do because they are good at it.  From what I've read on here Carthage is a very balanced offense with multiple weapons and a very good defense.  Why get fancy now?

Because the coach is a mad scientist.

8 minutes ago, coachkells said:

I highly doubt that Carthage is the number one team in the state. If they have to come up with tricks to beat a team then something is wrong. Good teams do what they do because they are good at it.  From what I've read on here Carthage is a very balanced offense with multiple weapons and a very good defense.  Why get fancy now?

If we are able to play our game and be successful, then we will not see any tricks. But if La Vega makes adjustments then Magician Surratt will throw a surprise or 2 to keep you guessing. We are either good or the competition has not forced Carthage to pull out the bag of tricks. We have played smash mouth football and won, but La Vega is respected as a good football team. I see the point your are trying to make, but I have watched a few Carthage games and it's common knowledge that you should always expect the unexpected with this coaching staff. Go Dawgs!!!

11 minutes ago, coachkells said:

I see your point; I personally am not a fan of the tricks either because of the risk/reward aspect involved. Thus far, they've neither been used or needed this year; however, it never hurts to have an extra ace up one's sleeve just in case it's needed in a pinch. This should be an awesome game!

3 minutes ago, coachkells said:

I highly doubt that Carthage is the number one team in the state. If they have to come up with tricks to beat a team then they are then something is wrong. Good teams do what they do because they are good at it.  From what I've read on here Carthage is a very balanced offence with multiple weapons and a very good defense.  Why get fancy now?

Carthage had never had a state championship until a young coach named Scott Surratt came to town 9-10 years ago.  Now they have five.  Carthage isn't some suburb of Waco or Dallas.  It's been about the same size for a thousand years.  Folks that get on here and post are just having fun and saying what comes to mind.  In the end, nobody in Carthage questions Coach Surratt's gameplan.  Coach Surratt and most posters on here know that good teams at this point don't change much from what they do best.  

3 minutes ago, house said:

Carthage had never had a state championship until a young coach named Scott Surratt came to town 9-10 years ago.  Now they have five.  Carthage isn't some suburb of Waco or Dallas.  It's been about the same size for a thousand years.  Folks that get on here and post are just having fun and saying what comes to mind.  In the end, nobody in Carthage questions Coach Surratt's gameplan.  Coach Surratt and most posters on here know that good teams at this point don't change much from what they do best.  

My point exactly,  I'm sure every team that is still playing this week is looking to put in a wrinkle or two to take advantage of something they think they might be able to expose that is what good coaches do.  

14 minutes ago, coachkells said:

I'm ready to hear a none bias take on this game.  Ready to hear from the sideline to sideline crew that has seen both of these teams in person, and get Mr. Stepps point of view  on this game.

I would be interested in an outsider's point of view on this game too... 

36 minutes ago, coachkells said:

I highly doubt that, Carthage is the number one team in the state. If they have to come up with tricks to beat a team then something is wrong. Good teams do what they do because they are good at it.  From what I've read on here Carthage is a very balanced offense with multiple weapons and a very good defense.  Why get fancy now?

Surratt usually puts in one trick play per week. Keeps his kids excited about practice. If he needs them, he has them. He has been a head coach 10 years and won state 5 of those years. How do you think his coaching style works ?

1 minute ago, cotton84 said:

Surratt usually puts in one trick play per week. Keeps his kids excited about practice. If he needs them, he has them. He has been a head coach 10 years and won state 5 of those years. How do you think his coaching style works ?

No doubt Surratt is a great coach,  you don't do what he has done unless you are.