Carthage vs Waco La Vega at The Star Friday, December 15, 2017 at 7:30 PM

ctown94

Carthage vs La Vega  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

• (14-0) La Vega Pirates
    • (14-0) Carthage Bulldogs

6 hours ago, JBizzle said:

There’s no facegaurding rule in HS, right?

If memory serves, the Texas UIL football rules are the same as NCAA football rules. In college, face guarding is not penalized unless contact with the receiver is made. That’s the way I read it, anyway.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, oldwillie said:

If memory serves, the Texas UIL football rules are the same as NCAA football rules. In college, face guarding is not penalized unless contact with the receiver is made. That’s the way I read it, anyway.

Correct. That was not a PI based on the rules. But it's a hard one. We are so conditioned to want to see the DB get his head around that it's hard to call. I agree that it was the wrong call. But I ain't gonna say it was bad if that makes sense. I would have called it too. All you gotta do is make an effort to get your head around, and they won't call it. Let's put ourselves in LV shoes. We would have been going out of our minds from the stands if somebody made a play like that on Deway, an there was no flag.

16 minutes ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

Correct. That was not a PI based on the rules. But it's a hard one. We are so conditioned to want to see the DB get his head around that it's hard to call. I agree that it was the wrong call. But I ain't gonna say it was bad if that makes sense. I would have called it too. All you gotta do is make an effort to get your head around, and they won't call it. Let's put ourselves in LV shoes. We would have been going out of our minds from the stands if somebody made a play like that on Deway, an there was no flag.

Sometimes incorrect calls like this change the outcome of the game. Bad news then. Especially in super important games like this, deep in the playoffs.

Carthage is 15 - 0 and you can't get any better than that..........But last night was the first game that not having the super soph healthy made the game a little scary........His athleticism at receiver would have helped widen the field..........And his speed would have helped in the defensive backfield.....And maybe moved #5 or #8 to linebacker for a few plays to get #13 a little breather every now and then, since he was playing more offense than usual

9 hours ago, DAWG91 said:

That was a bad call.  No the defender didnt turn around for the ball but i dont think he was making any contact with the receiver.  The ball was undertnrown and hit him in the back.  Dont see how thats a penalty myself.

In high school the defender doesn’t have to turn around. 

29 minutes ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

I didn't think the officiating was bad. Sure we booed a couple of times, but it was nothing egregious. There wasn't any game changing calls. The PI can go either way. I don't care what anybody says. 

I thought the pass interference called against us was a good call. I thought our boy made contact with the receiver not allowing the LV receiver to make a play on the ball. Ref threw the flag and I thought it was the right call.

The call that baffled me was the delay of game penalty they called against K Ingram after they said he got hit late out of bounds on the LV sideline. How is it possible for them to say he delayed the game and rule that the two penalties are offsetting? Seemed like they couldn’t come to a concensous that Ingram was hit late, and they made up that other stuff against Ingram to make the calls offsetting.

If they wanted to wipe away the late hit just waive it off, but the delay of game call on Keaontay was weird to say the least.

Anyone know what happened over there for them to say we delayed the game?

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

I thought the pass interference called against us was a good call. I thought our boy made contact with the receiver not allowing the LV receiver to make a play on the ball. Ref threw the flag and I thought it was the right call.

The call that baffled me was the delay of game penalty they called against K Ingram after they said he got hit late out of bounds on the LV sideline. How is it possible for them to say he delayed the game and rule that the two penalties are offsetting? Seemed like they couldn’t come to a concensous that Ingram was hit late, and they made up that other stuff against Ingram to make the calls offsetting.

If they wanted to wipe away the late hit just waive it off, but the delay of game call on Keaontay was weird to say the least.

The way I understood the call they claimed Ingram stepped out of bounds and then came back in bounds and attempted to continue the play.  My take is the play should have been called dead once his foot was out of bounds and the late hit should have been a dead ball personal foul on LV.

13 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

I think the call was bad because the LV player Couldn't MAKE a play for the ball, because it hit the Carthage defender IN THE BACK; the pass was Short!

7 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

If it hit our DB in the back and our DB did not make contact with their WR before the ball hit our DB it shouldn’t have been PI. I looked to me like our DB did contact their WR before the ball arrived, but maybe he didn’t.

Oh well, Dawgs victory and we roll on to the state championship game.

My take on the play(without seeing it on film)........slight contact on the play was made(incidental contact per TV announcers).......if the db turns his head and finds the ball, ref doesn’t care about that contact......but he didn’t turn his head, so ref threw the flag.....a tough play to be a ref......but I can’t argue with it, even though I didn’t like it

I’m certainly not dogging the referees. They  have a thankless job, and fewer are willing to take the job any more. I’m just responding to the interpretation of the faceguarding rule as applied to defensive backs and linebackers in high school football in Texas. I didn’t see the contact on that particular play. Doesn’t mean it wasn’t there.

On 12/16/2017 at 5:52 PM, BulldogBacker12 said:

Something that might go unnoticed was #1 making 2 TD saving tackles. He hawked those boys down from behind. On one of them I think they scored anyway. But on the other one Carthage either stopped them on 4th down or they missed a FG. I can't remember. 

This is something I wanted to discuss with everybody. Many people around the state talked about the unbelievable speed, athleticism and size of the 2017 La Vega Pirates.

There is no doubt they had a huge OL, the biggest we’ve seen this year. Their defense is fast and got plenty of penetration throughout the game.

Something many thought may have been an edge for LV over Carthage was their speed.

After watching the game I am thinking Carthage had more speed. The LV running backs twice were tracked down from behind by Hicks, #1. Against other teams this year I’m certain those runs went for touchdowns. Our LB speed kept their running game in check when against many other defenses it was much easier for LV. I understand LV ran for about 240 yards, but many of those yards came on a small handful of runs they busted for big gains. LV was behind the chains a lot in this game, because the defense put them there. LV hit two touchdown passes where our DBs, #1 and #2 both could’ve knocked the ball away and missed by inches.

If those plays go the way of the CHS defense Carthage wins comfortably. If Carthage didn’t have four unforced turnovers the Bulldogs win that game comfortably.

LV was good this year, but there were a lot of plays that kept them in this game when it should’ve been well out of reach for them in the first half.