6A Division II State Semi-Final: Longview (13-1) vs Hewitt Midway (14-0)

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (13-1) vs Hewitt Midway Panthers (14-0)  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Hewitt Midway in a close one
    • Hewitt Midway in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/17/2017 at 12:00 AM

1 hour ago, LoboFan07 said:

Our main issue in 2008 was that we couldn't do anything but rush it.

Which makes the 17 offense better than the 2008 offense IMO.

It was more one dimensional back then. Now we can pass the ball somewhat not only when we need to, but when we want to.

Let's be honest, as good as AJ was with his feet (and he was every bit of amazing), his arm was not as dependable which is why:

1. No major schools looked at him as QB, everyone wanted him at WR, some wanted him at safety

2. In 2009, you saw more Rayshone McGee tossing the ball around and AJ running routes. 

AJ is the best leader we've ever had. There's no denying that. He was 25-5 as a starter (with one forfeit, so really 26-4). Without him, we don't even come close to a State Title game.

But yea, our passing attack is miles above where it was in those days. We did nothing but run it back then. Even in that 2008 Guyer game, we only threw the ball 11 times. We just connected on 10 of them lol. We only had one other 200+ yard passing game under Johnson after that Guyer game (2009 vs Pine Tree), and half of that came from McGee.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jbabi86 said:

Debatable on the WR's... Hollis and Fortson were playmakers in their own right. remember they went nuts on Guyer that year. So just because it is a different scheme does not make 2017 receivers better... I can truly say without a doubt, the running game was much better in 08. 

Ok 07.... stats please.... 

I hear ya. They had the quality for sure, but quantity? Give me 17' on the WR's personally.

08 has the better rushing attack no question. No debate on that. But every Longview team will run the ball effectively. What you won't see often is an efficient, good passing attack out of a Longview offense which is something 17' has provided especially in these playoffs.

I'll take 17' defense over 08's just because of the secondary alone and the ability to force turnovers. 

There are several JK Lobo defenses that I would take over 08's personally.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

Longview didn’t have the passing game that season that we do this year. I also don’t think we have the rushing attack this year that we did in 08. But Anderson back will help that. McCray was just special for us. 

Beat Midway 

McCray should be mentioned with the likes of Fred Talley and Vondrell McGee in Lobo history

• Like 2

1 minute ago, gtee2 said:

McCray should be mentioned with the likes of Fred Talley and Vondrell McGee in Lobo history

McCray had the footwork of non other.

Can't say much bad about his greatness, other than a questionable 37 yard performance against PT in 08, he had no flaws.

3 hours ago, jbabi86 said:

I would not go that far. The 08 team had Johnson, Hunt, McCray and a good Oline. Not to mention wide receiver group. We could debate defense...but they were solid upfront as well maybe not as much so on the back end... Lake Travis was a beast in 08.... 

Brown 

johnson 

carter

perry 

Any of those guys can be the man any given game and have been ..can’t remember any year we could list that many.  Can u remember the tight ends name in 08?  I think I  can and he wasn’t a weapon