6A Division II State Semi-Final: Longview (13-1) vs Hewitt Midway (14-0)

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (13-1) vs Hewitt Midway Panthers (14-0)  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Hewitt Midway in a close one
    • Hewitt Midway in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/17/2017 at 12:00 AM

Real talk: I don't blame Matt, the sportswriters, or pundits for picking Midway. I get it. On paper they have the edge at every position. They have experience, talent, and an impressive resume.  By any objective appraisal, they have the advantage. They have every reason to succeed and no excuse to fail. 

Longview's got a patchwork offensive line, undersized running backs/linebackers, and a rookie quarterback. They barely beat a young Lufkin team on a lucky kick return that set up a hail mary touchdown pass in the last minute. 

Nevertheless, I believe they can do it. I think if they can get the run game going early on to set up the run-pass, and nab a turnover or three...  they can beat this team. 

Midway's got good size, speed, and talent. They're bona fide. They wouldn't be here if they weren't. But Longview is peaking. They're playing their best football right now. If they limit the mistakes and play their game, they're gonna roll right over Midway. I believe it. 

• Like 2

In reading all these comments, it occurs to me that not a Lobo fan on here would have  ever imagined that we would be playing in this game this weekend.  I certainly didn't.   These kids have consistently performed to an ultimate level after finding their 'way' this year and put themselves into this position. Pundits only write on what they perceive and that I guess, is a good thing. I know one thing...Longview will come out Saturday and give nothing less than their best effort and have a better than even chance to beat Midway. I've read all about the 'rookie' qb, small linemen and backs, we have and all the D1 players that they have..when they line up on Saturday, all that hoohah goes out the window. THESE Lobos will be up to the task.  What a great pleasure it has been to witness what we are achieving...THUMBS UP..GO LOBOS!!

• Like 2

All I ask is that we give it our all. As you said, no one expected us to be here...even Longview fans.

I think we all hoped we would, obviously. But especially after the Horn loss, that hope wasn’t high. 

Just excited for one more week of Lobo football! Let’s see what happens Saturday! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, in10sz said:

In reading all these comments, it occurs to me that not a Lobo fan on here would have  ever imagined that we would be playing in this game this weekend.  

The only thing I will say is way back in 2015...I knew that the 2017, 2018 and 2019 Lobo teams would be very good. How good, they had to prove it on the field...but I did call it several years ago. I knew they'd be better than recent Lobo teams for sure. 

I just paid attention to what was coming up the ranks.

43 minutes ago, jbabi86 said:

Funny they don’t mention that Midway never actually got into the end zone on their last touchdown in that article. Hm.

Beat Midway.

• LOL! 1

39 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Watching the first couple minutes of that, it feels like I'm watching a documentary on their state championship run.....good Lord.

I'm just honored they let us on the same field as them, especially since the outcome's already been decided. :D 

2 hours ago, jbabi86 said:

Especially this part: 

But for people like John Hubert and Zach Northern and Todd Glaesmann — men now in their late 20s — the ache of 2008 still throbs. The pain particularly flares up whenever someone brings up the word “Longview.”

When Midway meets Longview in the Class 6A Division II state semifinals on Saturday, it will mark the third meeting between the two teams in their long histories. The first two produced a pair of epic playoff classics that won’t soon be forgotten by the participants on either side.

The initial Midway-Longview clash came on Dec. 6, 2008 at Texas Stadium, in the state quarterfinals in Class 4A Division I.

“It was a tremendous football game between two great teams,” said Kenneth Wiethorn, a Midway assistant coach at the time. “We were really loaded that year. You look at all the D-I commitments that Midway has now, but we had a ton that year, too. Of course we had John Hubert (Kansas State), but there was also Ty Horn with TCU, Trey Graham with Texas, Zach Northern went to Baylor. Todd Glaesmann played pro baseball, our quarterback Corey Holmes is still playing pro baseball. On defense, we had Beau Blackshear, Ahmad Dixon and Lee Bristow, who all went to Baylor.

Can't believe Longview managed to win that game, considering all the D-I talent Midway brought.