6A Division II State Semi-Final: Longview (13-1) vs Hewitt Midway (14-0)

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (13-1) vs Hewitt Midway Panthers (14-0)  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Hewitt Midway in a close one
    • Hewitt Midway in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/17/2017 at 12:00 AM

1 hour ago, Matthias said:

Especially this part: 

Can't believe Longview managed to win that game, considering all the D-I talent Midway brought.

In all fairness, I talked to Coach King afterward and he said the reason he went for 2 was because he knew they couldn't stop Hubert. That Midway team WAS really good. 

But it wasn't exactly like Longview didn't have a lot of talent on the field too. 

They couldn't stop Hubert, after halftime. 214 of Hubert's 284 yards came in the 2nd half & overtime.

The difference in the 2nd half was one stop by the Midway D, on 4th down, that gave them the chance late in the game to tie things up...because they didn't stop us once in the 2nd half either up until that one drive.

Lobos dominated that game up until the 4th quarter. If we would've lost, we would've been the ones saying that it was the one that got away.

So.... I just went back and watched the 4th quarter of that 2008 Midway game.

There was no problem with the clock resetting "out of a timeout". 

The officials blew the play live, they took a long time in the huddle, they got in formation and went in motion, and then the officials gave them a delay of game call. 

THEN the timeout was called. 

I guess they have a bad memory... Or want to block that game out of their minds. 

12 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

So.... I just went back and watched the 4th quarter of that 2008 Midway game.

There was no problem with the clock resetting "out of a timeout".

I guess they have a bad memory... Or want to block that game out of their minds. 

I just timed it. Was literally 26.9 seconds from the time he blew the whistle and motioned down to the time the Midway QB was calling timeout. 25 second play clock at the time.

Longview didn’t have the passing game that season that we do this year. I also don’t think we have the rushing attack this year that we did in 08. But Anderson back will help that. McCray was just special for us. 

Beat Midway 

34 minutes ago, Lobouno said:

As far as weapons go I would say this team has as many as we have had in a long time maybe the most I have ever seen.

I would not go that far. The 08 team had Johnson, Hunt, McCray and a good Oline. Not to mention wide receiver group. We could debate defense...but they were solid upfront as well maybe not as much so on the back end... Lake Travis was a beast in 08.... 

18 minutes ago, jbabi86 said:

I would not go that far. The 08 team had Johnson, Hunt, McCray and a good Oline. Not to mention wide receiver group. 

This team has the better WR's. 08 was Carey Fortson and Aaron Hollins (whenever we used him).

This year has Kamden Perry, who besides DT Jackson has had the best hands of any WR since John King has been HC...we all know how good Carter is and Jacob Johnson was beast before his season ending injury against NM. This team also has better TE's...just an all around better passing attack.

08 may have the edge running wise but I can't complain about our running ability this year.

Defensively, debatable but one area this team is clearly better defensively is in the secondary. 08 secondary has nothing on 17 secondary.

5 minutes ago, jbabi86 said:

Lake Travis was a beast in 08.... 

Story of every team that ends up ruining Longview's chances at a Title tbh.

This is John King's 14th season. This marks the 7th time in those 14 years, that the team that would beat Longview (or even loses next week), would have gotten to the State Title game. Another 4 years, the team that has defeated Longview has reached the State Semi-Final game. So 11 out of 14 seasons, the team that has ended up beating the Lobos has advanced to at least the State Semi-Final.

In the 1940s, they lost to Temple and Brackenridge who both got to the Title game.
In the 1970s, it was mostly Plano that got them...but even when they got past Plano, Odessa Permian was sitting waiting for them.
In the 1980s, Plano continued it's run...but also throw in Cy Fair who got to the Semis the years they beat us.
In the 1990s, Katy denied us our title (and every team that beat us reached at least the Quarters).
In the 2000s, Lufkin got us twice and Lake Travis got us twice (and 6 of the 9 years we made it, the team that beat us got to at least the Semis).
And we are where we are now...having faced Guyer/DeKaney/Westlake to start the 2010s..who either has a title or has 9 State Title appearances since the 90s. And of course the Lake Ridge disaster.

Is what it is.

Even if we win, we'll end up playing Austin Westlake most likely who has a title and has 9 title appearances since the 90s.

Odessa Permian, Plano, Katy, Lake Travis, Austin Westlake. We've hit every dynasty in their prime. Longview has to break through one year. What year it will be, who knows. But this is a perfect year for it I say!

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, ANTI said:

This team has the better WR's. 08 was Carey Fortson and Aaron Hollins (whenever we used him).

This year has Kamden Perry, who besides DT Jackson has had the best hands of any WR since John King has been HC...we all know how good Carter is and Jacob Johnson was beast before his season ending injury against NM. This team also has better TE's...just an all around better passing attack.

08 may have the edge running wise but I can't complain about our running ability this year.

Defensively, debatable but one area this team is clearly better defensively is in the secondary. 08 secondary has nothing on 17 secondary.

Debatable on the WR's... Hollis and Fortson were playmakers in their own right. remember they went nuts on Guyer that year. So just because it is a different scheme does not make 2017 receivers better... I can truly say without a doubt, the running game was much better in 08. 

Ok 07.... stats please.... 

25 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Even if we win, we'll end up playing Austin Westlake most likely who has a title and has 9 title appearances since the 90s.

Odessa Permian, Plano, Katy, Lake Travis, Austin Westlake. We've hit every dynasty in their prime. Longview has to break through one year. What year it will be, who knows. But this is a perfect year for it I say!

I know Westlake won at least once back when Drew Brees was there.

10 minutes ago, jbabi86 said:

Debatable on the WR's... Hollis and Fortson were playmakers in their own right. remember they went nuts on Guyer that year. So just because it is a different scheme does not make 2017 receivers better... I can truly say without a doubt, the running game was much better in 08. 

Ok 07.... stats please.... 

Johnson had 15 passing touchdowns that season. So 4 of the 15 came against Guyer.

Longview had 4,681 rushing yards to 1,689 passing yards. Only 8 of our 16 games had passing yards above 100...and only one of them did we hit 200+ (Guyer obviously).

This year, Longview has rushed for 3,102 yards and has 2,508 yards passing. We've hit 100 yards passing in every single game this season and hit over 200 in 3 of them (and over 300 in 1 of them).

There's not a doubt about it that Longview had a much better rushing attack in 2008 and a much better passing attack in 2017.

Our main issue in 2008 was that we couldn't do anything but rush it. That Guyer game was so unexpected passing wise. It was the first time we've ever had anything like that here (playoff wise). King did the same thing just two games ago as a sophomore.

Just now, JohnnyFootball said:

Aye, one of them to Lufkin in 2001. 

That's crazy. They're even more snakebitten than we are, with the exception of their one win. 

Yep.

Lost to Midland Lee, Lufkin, Southlake Carroll, Euless Trinity in overtime and North Shore two years ago most recently.