Alto Head Coach

jacketgrad06

57 minutes ago, oldschool32 said:

I believe the beginning of this week Monday or Tuesday.  So anyone have any info on Meeks again all I know is he was the OC at Tatum.

If official, it's a great move for Alto. He's got the resume and the heredity. It shouldn't take him long to have Alto looking salty. 

• Like 3

Great hire, hate to see him go but I'm happy for him. Coach Meeks is a great coach and a great person. Alto gonna snap the ball every 12 seconds next year lol. Well, with no depth, he may have to change that lol. Wish him the best and I'll be rooting for him. Good luck coach Meeks.

• Like 3

Dunno how much of the philosophy on offense was Barker or Meeks since they both arrived in Tatum the same year but he ran a spread concept out of both the pistol and shotgun. Mainly 1 back. Occasionally under center.....gameplan swayed with the strength of each opponents defense. I'd say about 60/40 Run/Pass. Again, not sure who was pulling the trigger on play calling but we have been aggressive the last few years.....y'all will love him.

15 hours ago, 6922 said:

Great hire for Alto ... when will announcement be made?

Noon Jan.29

did Cherokee have any luck catching fish this weekend? if not hotdogs would do. It's the thought & conversation that count.

got 3 small kids they won't eat much. 

Looking for Alto to regain their winning reputation. Great Hire for Alto Good things to come.

8 minutes ago, chiphilton said:

Great hire!  Great coach and a better person.  Coach Meeks is the kind of coach you want coaching your son.  This will be fun to watch.

Yep, good dude. Bet he competes deep into the playoffs year 1. 

Great hire! He does come with great experience considering he has been on the winning side most of his career. His dad was an awesome coach and he has a great opportunity ahead. Coach Barker is a great coach and he is blessed to have worked for his Dad, Dickey Meeks and Coach Barker. He will do well

1 hour ago, sackem said:

Noon Jan.29

did Cherokee have any luck catching fish this weekend? if not hotdogs would do. It's the thought & conversation that count.

got 3 small kids they won't eat much. 

Looking for Alto to regain their winning reputation. Great Hire for Alto Good things to come.

Idk where your from but we got T Bones ready cause we hungry......

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cherokee603 said:

Idk where your from but we got T Bones ready cause we hungry......

Lol, y'all gonna love Meeks. He's a competitor. Heck of a coach, he'll hit the ground running. Not sure who all the finalist for the job were but it doesn't matter, y'all got the right coach. May have to add ole Alto to my Friday night app and root for the black and yellow now. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bootleg11 said:

The Alto HS coaches' scramble golf team will also now be very formidable.  Coach Meeks can swing the stick.

I don’t know about everyone else, but golf is the last thing I’m worried about him being good at. He has a lot of work to do, his golf game will probably gain a few strokes, but I believe he is the right man for the job. Games are won in the off season and at practice, he will be here early enough to make a difference, and the current coaches need to get on board and get this thing rolling. It won’t take long to get Alto back to our winning ways, just a little hard work. I’m proud to have Coach Meeks, and his family in Alto, Go Jackets!!!!

3 minutes ago, Alto44 said:

I don’t know about everyone else, but golf is the last thing I’m worried about him being good at. He has a lot of work to do, his golf game will probably gain a few strokes, but I believe he is the right man for the job. Games are won in the off season and at practice, he will be here early enough to make a difference, and the current coaches need to get on board and get this thing rolling. It won’t take long to get Alto back to our winning ways, just a little hard work. I’m proud to have Coach Meeks, and his family in Alto, Go Jackets!!!!

Lol, y'all are in good hands. Don't know if he'll clean house or not. It's not like he has a whole staff to bring with him being an OC so it'll be interesting to see if he try's to bring in some new staff or roll with the current. 

From what I'm hearing guy sounds like a winner so I'm excited.  The biggest test will be can he motivate these kids to want it.  If he can get these kids motivated the sky is the limit.  He'll have the talent to make a run year one for sure just have to get what's between their ears in the right place.

On 1/29/2018 at 6:35 PM, oldschool32 said:

From what I'm hearing guy sounds like a winner so I'm excited.  The biggest test will be can he motivate these kids to want it.  If he can get these kids motivated the sky is the limit.  He'll have the talent to make a run year one for sure just have to get what's between their ears in the right place.

The talent is definitely there. Time for a heart check and hard work 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SwarmingOnEm said:

The talent is definitely there...time for a heart check and hard work 

Totally agree that's definitely been lacking.  I don't understand it we never had to be motivated it was a right of passage, you get beat up in practice and when the lights come on Friday it's easy.  When the summer came time to work out and get ready to go again we absolutely hated to lose it wasn't even an option.  You hit the nail on the head though it's a heart issue it's about being willing to work for what you won't instead of just rolling your helmet out there hoping for the best.  If he's anything like his dad they will definitely have a gut check so I'm anxious to see how it goes.

• Like 1

QB should be full time RB he's a load but he's not the best option at QB.  They have some guys who can throw it around so if they can develop one of them to make the offense have some balance they will be really difficult to defend.  They have got to get a lot tougher on defense that's been apparent for a while though last year it really showed though.  However they do have the athletes to be good if they find a system that works for their personnel.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2018 at 9:00 PM, Omaha2345 said:

Not sure but think they just won 3 or 4 games

That would be correct. Played some good schools and I heard they were down as well. Lost to PG like 21-7 best I can remember. The scheme is what I love most though about their offense. Multiple offensive fronts. Multiple formations which start off looking a certain way and then switch up at the last second. Receivers in motion. QB getting the call by looking at the coach from the field and then right back on the ball. They attack the edges with some power sweeps and screens and will run it inside out of the same look. Also run play action and throw it around from under center and shotgun. I was impressed with the scheme I’ve seen