Newton vs Gunter 3A DII STATE CHAMPIONSHIP

NewtonNation

Who takes the title?   

108 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the title?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/22/2017 at 12:30 AM

Problem for Newton is their administration won't get off the dang dime and get those hardworking boys a charter bus to AT&T. They'll be forced to sit on a yellow dog for 5 hours on the day of the game. Seriously Newton administration, get with the program and get those boys a charter bus. I mean they're playing in the state title game at the nicest stadium in the world; is Newton ISD that poor that they can't cough up a little extra cash to let the state title contending football team ride in style?

4 minutes ago, UnclePig said:

Problem for Newton is their administration won't get off the dang dime and get those hardworking boys a charter bus to AT&T. They'll be forced to sit on a yellow dog for 5 hours on the day of the game. Seriously Newton administration, get with the program and get those boys a charter bus. I mean they're playing in the state title game at the nicest stadium in the world; is Newton ISD that poor that they can't cough up a little extra cash to let the state title contending football team ride in style?

They do have a charter bus.  Even the cheerleaders 

5 minutes ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

On another site folks were saying they rode the yellow dogs up there day of the game. 

Back in my day when we played at Texas Stadium or Astrodome we had charter buses and stayed the night before. 

Watched the game the night before at Texas Stadium. Some running back by the name of Dominic Rhoades was playing. 

20 minutes ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

On another site folks were saying they rode the yellow dogs up there day of the game. 

No sir it was a charter but your right it was the day of the game.  We’re doing things a little different this time.  No Jet lag 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Newton2003 said:

FB_IMG_1513653370619.jpg

Kid in the middle, Barlow, is  an absolute machine. 6' 205 lbs of speed and power, kid is fun to watch. He makes Tamazia Brown on the left look small but he ain't really all that skinny lol. I'm assuming #5 is the QB Foster? If not, who is he? Only familiar with what numbers Brown and Barlow are.

2 hours ago, BottomLine said:

I'm in search of a Gunter fan to talk about this game with, because I am very intrigued by how the lack of size and depth has made you successful. This is a serious inquiry, because it's really hard to see what kind of team Gunter is from the videos. 

Those kids down in Gunter have long ago bought into the program but when Fieszel took over in 07 he took it to a different level. They have always been the underdog until last year. They have pulled a lot of upsets in the playoffs but have struggled to break through the 4th round. I've followed the program for years and have attended numerous games. Gunter will get beat in pregame & the eye test but when those kids put on the shoulder pads they turn into different animals. They got a hell of a coaching staff with 4 coaches that graduated from Gunter so they are very close to the community. There is not much too say about Gunter's style except that they are tough gritty kids that have continued the tradition that was laid down close to 2 decades ago. 

2 hours ago, BottomLine said:

I'm in search of a Gunter fan to talk about this game with, because I am very intrigued by how the lack of size and depth has made you successful. This is a serious inquiry, because it's really hard to see what kind of team Gunter is from the videos. 

Just watch Gunter vs Boling last year.  The players are very quick and very strong.  160-170lb  ball carriers drag the pile 5 yards.  The players are bought into the system 100%, never quit on a block or a play, and miss almost no tackles.   Everyone has a job and they execute it.  The team is extremely well prepared and know what the other team is going to do - seems they have someone in their huddle.  They stay at home, don't bite on screens or reverses,  and keep good plays in front of them to avoid the big play.   Special teams our outstanding - about 60% of kickoffs are touchbacks and the rest have been well covered.  Of the few punts they have had, I don't recall any significant runbacks, and most are punted away from talented returners and roll.  The kicker is good from the 40s.   Because of defense and special teams the offense regularly has a short field.  The Tigers have been deadly in the red zone.   The coaching is excellent and if something works against them they make adjustments and fix it.

Regardless of the situation they will never believe they can lose the game and will step it up as the game progresses.

The team would not be defending state champions and back in the final if they did not have excellent players all up and down the line, the backfield, and on defense.  Forget about what you see before the opening kickoff.  As Kirt Falcon said, get you popcorn ready.  I am sure alot of this applies to Newton too.

24 minutes ago, Eagle8 said:

Kid in the middle, Barlow, is  an absolute machine. 6' 205 lbs of speed and power, kid is fun to watch. He makes Tamazia Brown on the left look small but he ain't really all that skinny lol. I'm assuming #5 is the QB Foster? If not, who is he? Only familiar with what numbers Brown and Barlow are.

That be Foster. 

7 hours ago, Eagles97 said:

This works both ways.  

Yes it does. I’m just jaw jackin like everyone else; trying to keep it lively! All I know is that there are two equal trains speeding toward a head on collision. I guess the one that has the nuts and bolts on the tightest will make it. I sure don’t want to try and make an honest prediction. I’m pulling for Gunter but have my concerns. Just hope the best team wins and the kids shake hands out of great respect for each other when it’s over. 

14 minutes ago, Nick2011 said:

I’m pulling for Newton since they knocked us out, but I think Gunter wins this one. This game will be a slug fest battle no doubt. 

From what I seen when we played Newton, their offensive line struggled all night against our defensive line. That’s the reason I think Gunter wins. Gunters defensive line isn’t all that big, but they are extremely quick off the ball and I think they will be in the backfield a lot Thursday night! Just my opinion. Good luck to both teams and congratulations on making it this far! 

I think the only reason WR held us is #7 we were limited to one side of the field

1 hour ago, Eagleborn said:

Back in my day when we played at Texas Stadium or Astrodome we had charter buses and stayed the night before. 

Watched the game the night before at Texas Stadium. Some running back by the name of Dominic Rhoades was playing. 

Cooper Cougars!  

8 hours ago, jimmyw said:

A P class 3a all-state team came out and it looks like they don't think Newton has any talent. Only one player on that team made honorable mention. No-one made first or second team all-state even though we had a defensive back leading the state in interceptions.Gunter had a few but I think they got slighted also. JMO

If kids aren't nominated then you can't vote for them

11 hours ago, NewtonNation said:

Here's a fun fact: 

Newton turnovers: 4 lost fumbles & 6 interceptions for the season. 

Gunter turnovers: 15 lost fumbles & 2 interceptions for the season. 

Nation you ran all the Gunter fans off with this.  Could hear a pin drop lol

• LOL! 1