Newton vs Gunter 3A DII STATE CHAMPIONSHIP

NewtonNation

Who takes the title?   

108 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the title?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/22/2017 at 12:30 AM

Considering only district games and playoff games for each team - I came up with these numbers for each team (both really impressive).

Newton opponents have played 107 games combined outside of those games against Newton.  Of all those games, you will only find 8 instances of a Newton opponent scoring less than what they scored against Newton - and only 9 instances of a Newton opponent giving up more points than they allowed to Newton.

Gunter opponents have played 123 games combined outside of those games against Gunter.  Of all those games, you will only find 2 instances of a Gunter opponent scoring less than what they scored against Gunter - and only 1 instance of a Gunter opponent allowing more than they gave up against Gunter.

Considering only playoff games :

Newton opponents have played a combined 57 games, and there are 7 instances of a Newton opponent scoring less than what they scored against Newton and 5 instances of a Newton opponent giving up more than what they allowed to Newton.

Gunter opponents have played a combined 65 games, and there are 2 instances of a Gunter opponent scoring less than what they scored against Gunter and zero instances of a Gunter opponent giving up more than what they allowed to Gunter.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pax said:

Not me.  I can't find any reliable source for defensive stats.  Gunter doesn't enter their defensive/tackling/sack stats anywhere I can find.  I'm pretty sure they have somewhere around 13 interceptions (from memory of doing this exercise before) - though they haven't faced many passing teams.  I don't know about fumbles and sacks.  41 sacks is a lot, that's impressive.  If I had to guess, I'd say Gunter is under that in the sack column, but again - they haven't faced many passing teams.  I'm sure they have loads of tackles for losses that amount to the same thing, but I assume Newton's tackles for losses are pretty similar.  If Newton has more than 2 sacks in this game, it won't be good news for Gunter since that would mean they'd be dropping back to pass far more than normal and playing from behind.  

Where are you getting these Newton stats anyway?  I've looked and looked and they just don't post them anywhere.     

http://www.maxpreps.com/m/team/stats_by_player.aspx?gendersport=boys,football&schoolid=15b99622-dd2d-49ca-b7b3-d6c7d781f052

11 hours ago, blueflu said:

no east tx bias in this poll

Take the rankings from in front of them and it would look a lot different as well. So many people on that app don't even know what a football is.....just going through voting for the highest ranked team as they stuff one last hoho in their fat cheeks.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dboneslap51 said:

No they not our whole team faster then Gunter they to slow! I bet our D line will beat y’all running backs

Newton - Grade F for English Comprehension!

My Gosh people, please read your comments before hitting "Submit Reply".

• LOL! 1

17 hours ago, Pax said:

Haha, yeah I would have had I seen it. I didn't know he was at Newton though.  If I didn't know, this is a cool archive of Texas high school football that would have told me.  It's a fun browse.

EDIT : just browsing quickly I see Newton is #39 for all-time winninging percentage in all classifications.  Impressive.

https://www.texashighschoolfootballhistory.com/won-loss_records.html

I DIDN'T SEE WOS ON THERE.  I WOULD HAVE THOUGHT THEY WOULD HAVE BEEN ON THAT LIST.

11 minutes ago, Chillie said:

I DIDN'T SEE WOS ON THERE.  I WOULD HAVE THOUGHT THEY WOULD HAVE BEEN ON THAT LIST.

They will have played the required 500 game minimum to qualify when the database is updated again and will be the #1 team on the list with the highest all time winning percentage of any team in the history of Texas HS football ... tru storie ...

12 minutes ago, jett2010 said:

After this game people will see that speed and athletic  means nothing compared to Great coaching and great effort...

funny stuff right there, i don't care who you are .... Newton's coaches are clueless and I'm sure their team will be coasting for 4 quarters ...

1 hour ago, wingtveer said:

I wonder how gunters 4 x 100 relay did last year. Clopton and Jantz can fly. I see them pulling away from a lot of people when they carry the ball. Just wondering if anyone knows 

Those two are definitely great athletes with some speed, but they won't be in the top 5 fastest players on the field Thursday. Those two players do stick out to me and can play some ball.