Harris Rating System State Finals' Picks

neveragain

Harris Ratings is one of the oldest and best ranking systems in the state.  They've been around a long, long time.  Here are their picks for this week's games:

6A D1  Allen 3 pt favorites over lake Travis

6A D2 Midway 6 pt favorites over Cy-Fair

5A D1 Manvel 5 pt favorites over Highland Park

5A D2 Aledo 7 pt favorites over College Station

4A D1 Carthage 3 pt favorites over Kennedale

4A D2 WOS 1 pt favorites over Pleasant Grove

3A D1 Brock 8 pt favorites over Rockdale

3A D2 Gunter 3 pt favorites over Newton

2A D1 Refugio 3 pt favorites over Mart

2A D2 Tenaha 2 pt favorites over Muenster

I have some different picks than Harris...but it is interesting to see how someone who has this background picks.

Broken down by regions;  Region 1 has 4 teams in Arlington, Region 2 has 6, Region 3 has 8, and Region 4 has 2.  Of course, the regions vary geographically by classification and while regions 2 and 3 are generally more east and south, Rockdale, Gunter, Mart, Muenster, Cy Fair, Highland Park, Manvel, College Station, and Kennedale are really not in the region I would call East Texas.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, neveragain said:

Harris Ratings is one of the oldest and best ranking systems in the state.  They've been around a long, long time.  Here are their picks for this week's games:

3A D2 Gunter 3 pt favorites over Newton

2A D1 Refugio 3 pt favorites over Mart

2A D2 Tenaha 2 pt favorites over Muenster

I have some different picks than Harris...but it is interesting to see how someone who has this background picks.

Broken down by regions;  Region 1 has 4 teams in Arlington, Region 2 has 6, Region 3 has 8, and Region 4 has 2.  Of course, the regions vary geographically by classification and while regions 2 and 3 are generally more east and south, Rockdale, Gunter, Mart, Muenster, Cy Fair, Highland Park, Manvel, College Station, and Kennedale are really not in the region I would call East Texas.

If all the games are this close it will be the best week of State Title Games ever. Would probably break the crowd record there as well. 

Just now, MrBuddyGarrity said:

If all the games are this close it will be the best week of State Title Games ever. Would probably break the crowd record there as well. 

I think they break the record for attendance this week regardless, lots of great teams with great fan bases.

It would be nice to see every game come down to the last possession.

1 hour ago, playactionpass39 said:

I think they break the record for attendance this week regardless, lots of great teams with great fan bases.

It would be nice to see every game come down to the last possession.

Yeah the Allen vs Lake Travis game will probably set the record. Allen brings a whole lot of spectators. 

It is true Timpson was considered very good...but this is the first year in any sport in a while that they've been that good.  Muenster has been a perennial contender in multiple sports for many years...they've been up against the best and have contended well.  I do think experience in big games makes a difference.  Tenaha will likely still win...but I would not be shocked if it was close.

On 12/20/2017 at 7:12 AM, neveragain said:

3A D2 Gunter 3 pt favorites over Newton- Newton wins in a landslide 40-16!

2A D1 Refugio 3 pt favorites over Mart-  Mart takes down Refugio!

2A D2 Tenaha 2 pt favorites over Muenster- Muenster Wins!  Also State Champs in Football, Baseball and Basketball! A first in Texas!

Micotrav’s Predictions;  For What it’s worth....

Allen vs Lake Travis- Lake Travis by 6

Waco Midway vs Cy-Fair- Midway by 7

Manvel vs Highland Park- Highland Park by 14

Aledo vs College Station- Aledo by 17

Carthage vs Kennedale- Kennedale by 5

Pleasant Grove vs West Orange Stark- Pleasant Grove by 8

Brock vs Rockdale- Brock by 10- Rockdale Wins State in a big and emotional win!

Newton vs Gunter- Gunter by 17- Newton in a landslide 40-16!  Gunter was just too beat up by the 4th quarter!

Refugio vs Mart - Refugio by 9 Mart Wins!

Muenster vs Teneha- Muenster by 2  (Muenster wins State 27-20)

I don’t think I should ever gamble!  I’m terrible at picking these championships! My record so far is 1-4!

Newton vs Gunter was a case of speed and aggressive play against discipline and courage.  This time the Eagles clawed the Tigers into submission.  I thought it would be hard to run against Gunter, but Newton was just too physical and their speed was just overwhelming. I can see a 2018 rematch.