Sooners 2018 Thread

Mr. P

12 hours ago, Valhalla said:

It’s nice to see some high rated defensive guys committing.

YES.

I'm thinking (hoping? praying?) that Lincoln understands he's not going to be able to take it to the next level with Mike as a millstone around his neck. The only solution is try to out-talent opposing teams. Because we ain't gonna stop anybody with Xs and Os. 

3 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

After the spring game, how do Sooner fans feel about the QB position? Y'all think Kyler has the job locked up? 

I still feel like it's his to lose but I was very impressed with Austin Kendall. Really like the way he went through his progressions and moved around in the pocket (still keeping his eyes downfield) under pressure. 

Regardless of who is named starter this summer, both are gonna see playing time in 2018. 

2 hours ago, AKA said:

I still feel like it's his to lose but I was very impressed with Austin Kendall. Really like the way he went through his progressions and moved around in the pocket (still keeping his eyes downfield) under pressure. 

Regardless of who is named starter this summer, both are gonna see playing time in 2018. 

I only saw the first half but Kendall looked good. I won't knock Murray for that performance because he is playing baseball right now. He'll be in football form for fall. 

2 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

I only saw the first half but Kendall looked good. I won't knock Murray for that performance because he is playing baseball right now. He'll be in football form for fall. 

Dude is still throwing off his back foot too much. It's gonna cost him against a good secondary. Mark my words. 

On 4/19/2018 at 8:44 AM, AKA said:

Interesting. By almost every report, Murray looked notably better than Kendall. He was also on a much weaker team.

2 minutes ago, sawemoff said:

Interesting. By almost every report, Murray looked notably better than Kendall. He was also on a much weaker team.

Meh, I dunno, haven't really read any reports. I just watched it on YouTube and made my own assessment. 

Based purely on my own "eye test" I thought Kendall looked slightly better passing. Murray seemed too casual, and his passes seemed to hang a bit. The windy conditions certainly didn't help. Of course, Kyler is a much better runner, but Kendall wasn't too shabby himself. 

Again, I still feel it's Murray's job to lose, but I think Kendall will push for playing time. I don't see that as a bad thing. 

6 minutes ago, AKA said:

Based purely on my own "eye test" I thought Kendall looked slightly better passing.  

Just searched for stats on the Spring game... 

Austin Kendall: 11/18 134yds 1td 1int, 5att 32yds 
Kyler Murray: 11/21 85yds, 9att 35yds 

So...  yeah, neither was really setting the world on fire.   :D 

On 4/19/2018 at 10:52 AM, JustAFan11 said:

I think this will be Kyler's last yr playing football, baseball is calling $$$$

2 hours ago, Valhalla said:

I’m disappointed that so many Sooners are going to be on the Ravens lol.

I’ve always disliked the Ravens.

Yeah, and it doesn't help that the Ravens used to be the Browns.  :D 

• 5 weeks later...

Sooner Women Punch their ticket to WCWS in OKC!

#WCWS Day 1 lineup in Oklahoma City (Thursday), 5/31 will look like this:

..............................(1) Oregon vs. (8) Arizona State, noon (ESPN)
BRKT 1
...............................(4) Oklahoma vs. (5) Washington, 2:30 p.m. (ESPN)

...............................(2) Florida vs. (7) Georgia, 7 p.m. (ESPN2)
BRKT 2
...............................(3) UCLA vs. (6) Florida State, 9:30 p.m. (ESPN2)

Looks like the #1 through #8 seeds advanced to the WCWS, although #11 LSU, #15 aTm & #16 Kentucky took #6 Florida State, #2 Florida & #1 Oregon, respectively,  to the limit of best of 3 games.

Not sure how much to make of the fact that #16 Kentucky took #1 Oregon to 3 games and #15 aTm took #2 Florida to 3.  The Florida-Aggies series was close throughout, with Florida winning the first game 5-4, then Aggie winning Game 2 by the same score 5-4, and Game 3 ending with a walk-off homer in the bottom of the 7th, with Aggie leading 3-2 at the time.

The Oregon-Kentucky series, OTOH, looks like UK hit Oregon in the opener 9-6, then the Ducks coming back and winning the last two handily, 6-1 and 11-1.

Obviously, OU haS to take it one game at a time and beat the Huskies in the first game, but the Oregon Ducks look to me to be the team to beat this year, then maybe UCLA.

This is the WCWS Bracket complete with elimination brackets for the losing teams to try to fight their way back into contention.

If I remember correctly from last year, the two losers from Bracket 1 play an elimination game with the winner advancing back into play, but into the opposite bracket; same with Bracket 2.   (EDIT: not true.  It was true last year, but this year there is no cross-bracket play until the Championship series).

I know, getting way ahead of myself.  I really get into women's softball, especially at this time of year (WCWS)...
Modify message

• Like 1

On 5/27/2018 at 10:33 PM, Valhalla said:

We are a softball school now.

Well, I still call OU a football school first and foremost, but Patty Gasso has really elevated the softball program at OU.  We are definitely a softball powerhouse now...

9 hours ago, BlackwellSooner said:

Well, I still call OU a football school first and foremost, but Patty Gasso has really elevated the softball program at OU.  We are definitely a softball powerhouse now...

Our gymnastics program ain't half bad either. 

17 hours ago, Stoney said:

4* S Jarrian Jones decommits from OU.

If I remember correctly most thought he was Mississippi State all the way before his surprise commitment to Oklahoma. 

I’m not surprised that he made that the flip.

On 6/2/2018 at 5:33 PM, Stoney said:

I’d become a Sooner gymnastics fan if a was headed to Norman for college.

340E5D27-9E04-47EE-9D5F-AEBA264ADF08.png FAE8DBFC-1B01-4BD5-B770-6D4B6C128AC8.png 9CD2E0DA-2C75-4612-B7EB-35896DB9B804.png

During my time at OU the only girls more stuck up than the gymnasts were the dance majors. Totally high maintenance. 

• LOL! 2

• Mr. P locked this topic