Diana coach

Destry

2 minutes ago, NewBallCoach said:

Yea I couldn't imagaine working at a school where the football coach didn't hold all the power. It would be terrible to work for someone who coached another sport and wants all sports to win, instead of just the 10 that football plays. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?

Football takes way more preparation and time on the head coaches part. Trying to do that and a class would be ridiculous. It has more inventory needs,  most paper work, and is the toughest to win. Its also the easiest to get fired from when you don't produce. Also, I hate the argument that putting someone that is not head football helps "all sports win". That's just stupid. You think a baseball coach will care about all sports more than a football coach? No. He'll care about baseball.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Magellan44 said:

HFC won't have to report to the boys coordinator, he'd just report the supe and HS principal. Looks like that'd reduce any friction if they'd have answer to the baseball coach.

How do you know this info? Speculation or "fact"? Just curious. 

1 hour ago, Magellan44 said:

HFC won't have to report to the boys coordinator, he'd just report the supe and HS principal. Looks like that'd reduce any friction if they'd have answer to the baseball coach.

How will that even work?!?!? Whose in charge then? How do they decide things like strength and conditioning 

20 hours ago, mrclean69 said:

Football takes way more preparation and time on the head coaches part. Trying to do that and a class would be ridiculous. It has more inventory needs,  most paper work, and is the toughest to win. Its also the easiest to get fired from when you don't produce. Also, I hate the argument that putting someone that is not head football helps "all sports win". That's just stupid. You think a baseball coach will care about all sports more than a football coach? No. He'll care about baseball.

The assumption here is that the baseball coach is no more willing to work with the football coach than traditionally the football coach is willing to work with other sports.  Maybe the school district is looking to find the best fit for each assignment.  When you have the HFC/AD in a small school setting, every time the HFC moves on, there is always jeopardy for all the other HC of the other sports they may lose their job because they are expendable and not wanted on the new staff.  That is not fair to the other coaches nor the student athletes.  This is "out-of-the-box" and will take a team effort to work, but it could be what's best. 

2 hours ago, buckeyenut24 said:

The assumption here is that the baseball coach is no more willing to work with the football coach than traditionally the football coach is willing to work with other sports.  Maybe the school district is looking to find the best fit for each assignment.  When you have the HFC/AD in a small school setting, every time the HFC moves on, there is always jeopardy for all the other HC of the other sports they may lose their job because they are expendable and not wanted on the new staff.  That is not fair to the other coaches nor the student athletes.  This is "out-of-the-box" and will take a team effort to work, but it could be what's best. 

I understand why. This thought of stability outside of football, but it will hurt your stability in football.   To think this won't worsen your applicants is ridiculous. Also, if I am a good football coach and have success at Diana, why wouldn't I leave for an AD/HFC job? 

The biggest problem with the AD being from another sport is off-season..Not all coaches believe that weight room and track is needed for their sports to be successful...mainly basketball and some baseball...so when it comes down to final decisions of how to and who will be in the weight room they will always pull their kids out 1st..then its a domino effect..other kids see to get out of extra work is to play those sports..so imo it does not work

I'm sure they did their research and asked questions about weightroom philosophy before they "gave" it to the head baseball coach. I know alot of baseball coaches who believe in the weightroom, it's usually the basketball guys that don't believe they need weights. I also didn't say head football coaches don't want other sports to win, but I've also seen HFC/ADs lift other sports heavy on game days and not give a #### about the other coach's sport.

Maybe this works, maybe it doesn't, but I don't see it being any worse than a traditional AD. I'm not trying to argue, this is just my opinion.

I guess you could say I've seen friends of mine get screwed a few times, Starting Pitcher jammed finger running routes on game day and couldn't grip a baseball, starting catcher sore from maxing on squat on game day and couldn't move behind the plate, and a leadoff hitter/CF pulling his hamstring running routes on game day.

Also the it's tougher to win argument doesn't make sense, winning always takes preparation and doesn't come easy.

And as far as not being able to answer to a coach who's main sport isn't football, well if it's your job to answer to that guy, then you better or you're looking for a new place. Every other coach answers to football coach's and in case some of you didn't know, all coaches don't love football. I love football but not everyone does.

Also, studies show football numbers are on the way down even in this state. So this may be a growing trend. https://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/texas-high-school-football/

32 minutes ago, NewBallCoach said:

I'm sure they did their research and asked questions about weightroom philosophy before they "gave" it to the head baseball coach. I know alot of baseball coaches who believe in the weightroom, it's usually the basketball guys that don't believe they need weights. I also didn't say head football coaches don't want other sports to win, but I've also seen HFC/ADs lift other sports heavy on game days and not give a #### about the other coach's sport.

Maybe this works, maybe it doesn't, but I don't see it being any worse than a traditional AD. I'm not trying to argue, this is just my opinion.

I guess you could say I've seen friends of mine get screwed a few times, Starting Pitcher jammed finger running routes on game day and couldn't grip a baseball, starting catcher sore from maxing on squat on game day and couldn't move behind the plate, and a leadoff hitter/CF pulling his hamstring running routes on game day.

Also the it's tougher to win argument doesn't make sense, winning always takes preparation and doesn't come easy.

And as far as not being able to answer to a coach who's main sport isn't football, well if it's your job to answer to that guy, then you better or you're looking for a new place. Every other coach answers to football coach's and in case some of you didn't know, all coaches don't love football. I love football but not everyone does.

Also, studies show football numbers are on the way down even in this state. So this may be a growing trend. https://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/texas-high-school-football/

All great points.  Bottom line an AD needs to be a good administrator and leader.  The traditional model may have that combo and to be honest many do not.  Just being a good HFC doesnt mean you will be about leading the other coaches or athletes.  

On 2/2/2018 at 1:51 PM, NewBallCoach said:

I agree with you 100 percent a lot of these schools only care about football and I think it’s wrong to make kids that are playing basketball baseball or any other sports lift on game days and then expect them to perform the same way they would if they didn’t 

On 2/2/2018 at 1:51 PM, NewBallCoach said:

Sounds to me like you need to move out of Texas chief. Football is king here and it will still be king when you and I are pushing up tulips 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sportsguru02 said:

I agree with you 100 percent a lot of these schools only care about football and I think it’s wrong to make kids that are playing basketball baseball or any other sports lift on game days and then expect them to perform the same way they would if they didn’t 

Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant lifted on gameday; from the looks of MLB players these days, I’m fairly certain they lift on game day 

10 hours ago, Sportsguru02 said:

Unless you are a pitcher or a catcher then it is perfectly fine for you to lift weights on a baseball game day. I wouldn’t do it if I had high school athletics last period, but if you lift weights at 11 then you will be fine by 6:30 to play a baseball game.