UT Tyler to compete in D-II?

Mr. P

UT Tyler preparing NCAA Division II application (KETK)

Did UT Tyler file for Division II status? (CBS 19)

"After thoroughly vetting the idea with internal research and an outside expert consultant, the university is currently preparing an application for Division II membership. The university does not have plans to add a football team at this time."

Um, right. Sooo...   what do y'all think of these helmet ideas for the new UT Tyler football program? 

4nCXeX7.jpgIa0IOVE.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lion70 said:

Wonder if this happens. Do they have the facilities? Do they use the Rose ?  

If they are able to get D-II status, I don't think they'd try to start football right away. There'd be a lot of work to do just to get their current sports up to par. A multiyear project, to be sure. 

But once they've been D-II for a few years, you might see them moving in that direction. 

3 minutes ago, Lion70 said:

Not sure that matters but yes  I would hate it if I were them as well. What are the nearest Schools? I be really honest I don't know much about the small schools. ETBU size ? I know Sfa is FCS but that's the closest one right? .

For DII football it would be schools like A&M-Commerce and Midwestern State. I dont remember if Tarleton was looking to jump up to DI or not, but they would be another school.

Wasn’t there talk a few years back of building a stadium around the UT Tyler area? I know that area around Old Omen and University has blown up in the last several years. Apartment complexes. Subdivisions. I can’t think of any place around UT Tyler that would have the land needed to build it unless they bought the old “golf course” at Shiloh and Old Omen but man that’s be a lot of road work needed to handle that traffic.

that's just the football schools in the lone star conference. you missed the new one in odessa plus they just added something like 8 schools that do not play football

2017 Football Standings

School LSC Overall
Midwestern State 8-0 10-1 conference champions
Texas A&M-Commerce 7-1 14-1  national champions
Eastern New Mexico 6-2 8-2
Angelo State 4-4 6-5
Tarleton State 4-4 6-6
Western New Mexico 3-5 4-7
Texas A&M-Kingsville 2-6 4-7
West Texas A&M 1-7 3-8
UT Permian Basin 1-7 2-9

On 1/10/2018 at 12:46 PM, Matthias said:

UT Tyler preparing NCAA Division II application (KETK)

Did UT Tyler file for Division II status? (CBS 19)

Um, right. Sooo...   what do y'all think of these helmet ideas for the new UT Tyler football program? 

4nCXeX7.jpgIa0IOVE.jpg

I like the white with the orange star and facemask. Something about it just screams “America’s Team” to me. Pair that with some double star jerseys with either a orange torso/ white shoulders or white  torso/ orange shoulders that would be a clean look. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Lion70 said:

They officially applied today. I assume there are no real judgments for not getting it. Also do they vote for football ? How do they know when that's a real thing.

Football's still a ways away. Like I said before, it's gonna be a lot of work just to get their current sports up to D-II par. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matthias said:

Football's still a ways away. Like I said before, it's gonna be a lot of work just to get their current sports up to D-II par. 

Softball may be their easiest transition as they already recruit d2 caliber players to play d3 ball

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Softball may be their easiest transition as they already recruit d2 caliber players to play d3 ball

No doubt. UTT could really wreck shop in D-II softball. They don't even need to leave the region to recruit. An abundance of homegrown talent. 

20 minutes ago, Matthias said:

No doubt. UTT could really wreck shop in D-II softball. They don't even need to leave the region to recruit. An abundance of homegrown talent. 

them and ETBU could move up to D2 and own a conference...  the ASC is so good in softball.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

UT-T NEEDS to be D-2. 

The ASC never should have allowed them into the conference.  Or UT-Dallas for that matter.  

There is absolutely no reason for schools that size to be playing schools the size that MOST of the ASC is made of.

UT Dallas- 27, 600
UT Tyler- 10,500

Then you have:

Letourneau- 3,700 (most are not enrolled in the Longview campus though)
Belhaven- 3,200*
Mary Hardin Baylor 2,700*
Hardin Simmons- 2,300*
Sul Ross- 2,000*
ETBU- 1,535*
Howard Payne 1,400*
McMurry 1,400*
Louisiana College 1,300*
Concordia- 1,200
Ozarks 600

* plays football

THIS is a MAJOR flaw in D-3. 

The non-scholarshipped athlete is what makes a program D-3.  But there is SO MUCH MORE that makes a bigger school have advantages over the smaller schools.  Budgets, facilities, academic scholarships, alumni bases, student body size, etc, etc.....

Little bitty Ozarks has 600 students.  UT-Dallas has almost 30,000.  And there are D-3 schools even bigger than them.

D-3 needs to be split between big and small schools.  JMHO.

They need to go.  They have no business in D-3 or the ASC.  JMHO.

UT-Dallas needs to move up. The biggest perk that UT-D and UT-T have is they are state schools, meaning cheaper tuition. Louisiana College is the only other school that has that perk, but they're in Louisiana, so who wants to go to school there...

6 minutes ago, topher805 said:

UT-Dallas needs to move up. The biggest perk that UT-D and UT-T have is they are state schools, meaning cheaper tuition. Louisiana College is the only other school that has that perk, but they're in Louisiana, so who wants to go to school there...

We know where all of the state money goes in Louisiana... shut LC down :lol: 

• LOL! 1

43 minutes ago, topher805 said:

Ummm......Louisiana College is a private Baptist University.

UT-Tyler, UT-Dallas, and SRSU are the only state schools in the ASC.  The rest are all affiliated to a denomination or church.

I don't have a problem with SRSU.... they have a similar enrollment to the others, so that's not really an issue.

But having 10K.....or 25K more than the rest of the conference is ridiculous.

--------------------

Now.... about the move to D2, I think it's a good move for UT-Tyler.  They will be playing schools with student bodies closer to their own.... and likely budgets closer to their own.

But the Lone Star Conference is a very competitive conference.  Particularly in football.  Talk about a tough place to build a program from the ground up.

25 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Ummm......Louisiana College is a private Baptist University.

UT-Tyler, UT-Dallas, and SRSU are the only state schools in the ASC.  The rest are all affiliated to a denomination or church.

I don't have a problem with SRSU.... they have a similar enrollment to the others, so that's not really an issue.

But having 10K.....or 25K more than the rest of the conference is ridiculous.

--------------------

Now.... about the move to D2, I think it's a good move for UT-Tyler.  They will be playing schools with student bodies closer to their own.... and likely budgets closer to their own.

But the Lone Star Conference is a very competitive conference.  Particularly in football.  Talk about a tough place to build a program from the ground up.

I was throwing out a guess on LC because it just sounds like a state school. My bad.

I think UT-Tyler is good in either spot. While they have massive enrollment numbers, it is a commuter campus that doesn't care much at all about athletics for the most part. Little fan support there

9 hours ago, topher805 said:

I was throwing out a guess on LC because it just sounds like a state school. My bad.

I think UT-Tyler is good in either spot. While they have massive enrollment numbers, it is a commuter campus that doesn't care much at all about athletics for the most part. Little fan support there

the school cares about their athletics or they wouldnt be so good in everything... the students may not care, but a move to D2 might change that.

They’ve won national championships in baseball, softball, and tennis recently. 

That says a lot.  And the city of Tyler is a great recruiting tool.  Big...  but not too big.  

Facilities will be an issue. ESP for football. Only Rose stadium would be comparable to the stadiums in the LSC. They just about  all play in 10-20K stadiums.   So a small campus stadium like what ETBU and the rest of the ASC won’t fly. That’s major money.  Can rose support a 4th team?  Will Tyler support a 4th team and show up?  

Their baseball and softball facilities are fine. And they could always use Mike Carter field for baseball if a really BIG gam came around. 

The fan support though.... one of the worst in the ASC. They have a fantastic gym. Never seen more than 2-300 people show up for a UTT basketball game. 

Uphill battle.  Because the LSC means business. 

I hope they move up. And I wish them success.