UIL State cheerleading championship

LCM

4 hours ago, CarthDawg77 said:

Carthage came in 9th out of 91 4A Division teams... Great job ladies!

I thought out of that many teams that north and east   Texas took half of the top 20 that were selected was pretty good

• Like 1

In the 3A, 2A, & 1A divisions, Mount Vernon, White Oak, Sabine, Linden-Kildare, Redwater, New Diana,  and Union Hill all made the finals.

Mount Vernon won the 3A state championship for the 3rd year in a row, while White Oak finished 12th, Redwater 13th, Sabine 14th, and New Diana 20th.

Linden-Kildare finished in a tie for 15th in 2A.

Union Hill finished 6th in 1A.

I must admit, I know nothing about cheerleading at all, but I didn't see the competition the same way the judges did.  The top 3 in each class was suspect at best from what I saw, except for Mount Vernon.

This is the third year that the UIL has held the state spirit competition.  It has grown in attendance each year.  My wife is our coach (I don't like the word sponsor because there is so much more than that, and really do "coach") and I have a daughter on the cheer team.  I am glad the UIL has taken this on, as it really is a chance for those that cheer our teams on all year long in their sports and do so much for the other programs to have their chance to compete and others cheering them on.  Some of the things that some of these teams are able to do is pretty amazing.  It goes way beyond yelling some chants to the stands.  Great job ladies and great job UIL!

• Like 2

On 1/17/2018 at 9:34 PM, stjamesgate said:

This is the third year that the UIL has held the state spirit competition.  It has grown in attendance each year.  My wife is our coach (I don't like the word sponsor because there is so much more than that, and really do "coach") and I have a daughter on the cheer team.  I am glad the UIL has taken this on, as it really is a chance for those that cheer our teams on all year long in their sports and do so much for the other programs to have their chance to compete and others cheering them on.  Some of the things that some of these teams are able to do is pretty amazing.  It goes way beyond yelling some chants to the stands.  Great job ladies and great job UIL!

I worked cheer in college.  Those girls are very athletic, whether you consider cheer a sport or not.