DeSoto Open

playactionpass39

18 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

If he was thinking of leaving.... wouldn’t it be better to just not talk to the press at all????  Just to stay mum?  

Openly talking about staying if you have no intentions of doing that is a really bad look that could follow you the rest of your career.  

And the slip up of him saying DeSoto is reeeaaalllly a reach for some trying to make a point IMHO. 

Guess we will all know soon enough. 

He is staying mum....on leaving. He is basically telling all of you that he is committed to Marshall, for now. The job isn't even posted, if something happens the super will be the first to know, he is doing exactly what you are saying by not talking about leaving. He has to play both sides of the fence for now. He has to ensure that if something falls through at Desoto, he still has all that "great community support" he is enjoying right now in Marshall. That 115k dollar salary is something he plans to protect, until Desoto calls and offers 116k.

20 hours ago, scatright said:

"They haven't even posted the job," Mathis said. "Everything is rumors right now. That's all it is, just straight rumors.

"I have not been contacted by DeSoto whatsoever," Mathis added. "So I'm not worried about DeSoto right now. I'm worried about Marshall athletics. These kids are my most important thing and I will continue to make them my No. 1 priority."

They haven't even posted the job......I'm not worried about Desoto right now........hmmmm, sounds pretty solid. Could've said, "I am not going to Desoto even if they contact me, but instead said he's not worried about them right now. Also, why would he know the job hadn't been posted if he wasn't keeping an eye on the job?? 

"If something happens, the first person to know will be the superintendent (Jerry Gibson)," Mathis said. "He and I have a great relationship. But there's nothing happening. I'm here. I'm doing my job. This community has been awesome to me. The superintendent and the school board have been tremendously supportive in me coming here and giving me everything I need to make Marshall athletics the best ever and they have been such great support. You can't just find that everywhere. I mean, the administration support has been awesome. Miss (Tina) Brown (Marshall High School principal) has been tremendously awesome, 100 percent behind me, supporting me with all these kids. I'm in a great, great situation."

Didn't say that nothing would happen, he said nothing is happening.

At Friday night's banquet, Mathis misspoke when talking about Marshall's seven-on-seven team and said "DeSoto" instead. He said that had nothing to do with the coaching position at his former school.

"It was an honest mistake," Mathis explained. " I was talking about seven-on-seven and I'd never mentioned Marshall in seven-on-seven, it's always been DeSoto because I had been there eight years and it was Marshall's first time ever going to seven-on-seven but I was trying to explain to them when I made that comment that I was bringing up DeSoto by being in seven-on-seven because we thought we were going to play those guys and I wanted to kick their butts and everything and I was so proud of our kids for doing such a great job and making a great run. It just came out totally wrong and I was like, 'Oh ####. Oh my gosh.'

This is classic. Sounds like he's trying to explain to his wife why he said another woman's name in bed. err..err...err......I was thinking of beating Desoto, not leaving you for her! lolol

I hope he stays for the community, but this article shouldn't be as assuring as you guys are making it out to be. I read it and find it full of double speak and non committal language. he gone

Preach it!

It's no coincidence that Mathis was hired in Marshall on March 30th, and the unrest in Desoto with Peterson began in early April. The minute Mathis stepped back into TXHSFB, Desoto began making moves to bring him back. They knew he absolutely couldn't jump ship last year, so they backed off and executed their plan after the 2017 season. It wouldn't shock me if Mathis has been aware of it from the beginning and is just biding his time.

Like I said, I don't blame him for wanting to go back, and I don't blame him for protecting his job at Marshall. I just wish he'd go ahead and pack it up in order to give the Mavs time to get their new guy installed quickly. The longer this drags on, the worse it is for the Mavs.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, INTENSIFICATION said:

WingT.... Take shots and talk mess. It's cool. "Told you so's" either way are about to come. 

The only person on this thread that is "taking shots and talking mess" is you. There is clearly animosity in your words and tone in which you post on this subject. Maybe you have a problem with Mathis, or the guy/board that hired Mathis, or both. Maybe you should drive to Marshall and talk with them if you have such an issue. You are clearly upset (and specific) that a friend of yours, if not you (whole hide behind screen thing) "Ludlow" from your first post didnt get the job at Marshall. These boards are for information and inside knowledge for some of us who may not have the inside track. So please do us all a favor and keep your personal vendetta posts to yourself. 

The "I told you so's" will come out soon. And you may be right. Desoto may bring him back. Or he may stay. But all this speculation of Coach Mathis causing drama at desoto is only that, speculation. Perhaps their current coach brought issues upon himself. 

For the sake of Marshall i hope Mathis stays. It sounds like he is doing great things for that team and community.

For the sake of Desoto, i hope Mathis gets it. Everyone knows he can and will do great things for that team and community. 

21 minutes ago, WingTright said:

The only person on this thread that is "taking shots and talking mess" is you. There is clearly animosity in your words and tone in which you post on this subject. Maybe you have a problem with Mathis, or the guy/board that hired Mathis, or both. Maybe you should drive to Marshall and talk with them if you have such an issue. You are clearly upset (and specific) that a friend of yours, if not you (whole hide behind screen thing) "Ludlow" from your first post didnt get the job at Marshall. These boards are for information and inside knowledge for some of us who may not have the inside track. So please do us all a favor and keep your personal vendetta posts to yourself. 

The "I told you so's" will come out soon. And you may be right. Desoto may bring him back. Or he may stay. But all this speculation of Coach Mathis causing drama at desoto is only that, speculation. Perhaps their current coach brought issues upon himself. 

For the sake of Marshall i hope Mathis stays. It sounds like he is doing great things for that team and community.

For the sake of Desoto, i hope Mathis gets it. Everyone knows he can and will do great things for that team and community. 

So you're a woman? I get it now. Only a woman would read my posts and assume "animosity tone"! (In a very nice, not meany face, not bo bo head, non bully type, or any other way) Go back to your real screen name, get off the one you created just for this post, and hug your blanky while following this post! Okay PUMPKIN! No hidden agenda here. No dog in the fight. Kids and community were high on Ludlow, and he's a heck of a coach. Admin saw the BIG SPLASH metroplex hire and went for it! It has worked out for so many East Texas schools in the past! 

45 minutes ago, scatright said:

It's no coincidence that Mathis was hired in Marshall on March 30th, and the unrest in Desoto with Peterson began in early April. The minute Mathis stepped back into TXHSFB, Desoto began making moves to bring him back. They knew he absolutely couldn't jump ship last year, so they backed off and executed their plan after the 2017 season. It wouldn't shock me if Mathis has been aware of it from the beginning and is just biding his time.

Like I said, I don't blame him for wanting to go back, and I don't blame him for protecting his job at Marshall. I just wish he'd go ahead and pack it up in order to give the Mavs time to get their new guy installed quickly. The longer this drags on, the worse it is for the Mavs.

Take it a step further Scat...There's a reason Marshall had to delay the announcement. And that reason was all over Dallas news shows, and all chat boards. Who created that situation? Who had the most to gain? Where's the smoking gun? LOL! Couldn't resist that one! Seriously, all that "stuff" was linked!

41 minutes ago, INTENSIFICATION said:

So you're a woman? I get it now. Only a woman would read my posts and assume "animosity tone"! (In a very nice, not meany face, not bo bo head, non bully type, or any other way) Go back to your real screen name, get off the one you created just for this post, and hug your blanky while following this post! Okay PUMPKIN! No hidden agenda here. No dog in the fight. Kids and community were high on Ludlow, and he's a heck of a coach. Admin saw the BIG SPLASH metroplex hire and went for it! It has worked out for so many East Texas schools in the past! 

And back to taking shots.... 

The posters appreciate your "inside" scoop, and your manners. 

You're clearly too passionate to not have a dog in the fight. Ignorance is bliss my friend. 

2 hours ago, WingTright said:

And back to taking shots.... 

The posters appreciate your "inside" scoop, and your manners. 

You're clearly too passionate to not have a dog in the fight. Ignorance is bliss my friend. 

Not your friend, and you clearly have a dog in the fight, and you clearly are very sensitive. Enjoy the Show!

Interesting how this thread (theoretically) is being ringmastered by a lot of people that claim not to be from DeSoto or Marshall. 

These folks sure seem to have a lot to say to “not have a dog in this fight”. 

Some wanting to run down Mathis. 

Some running down Marshall. 

Some running down DeSoto. 

Sounds like a lot of bitter people to me from both  sides.  Makes one wonder what butt-hurt has spurred some of you on so strong.  

Sure is a lot of “passion” from some “outsiders” with no dog to speak of.  

Just concerned citizens from afar..... 🙄

Anyone know the ISP for he DeSoto school board room?  Just wondering.  Asking for a friend.  

• Like 1
  • LOL! 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

From the outside looking in....... 

with the school board drama, the lack of support for the supt, and some questionable parental involvement in “School politics”..... and running off a state champion coach.... rumors of racism......

DeSoto ISD sounds like a hot mess. 

JMHO. 

4 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

with the school board drama, the lack of support for the supt, and some questionable parental involvement in “School politics”..... and running off a state champion coach.... rumors of racism......

JMHO. 

If racism is involved why is Dyer still the head bball coach for the boys?

I’d like to think there isn’t any racism involved. 

But when all the drama went down last spring... it was mentioned in some of the press articles concerning boosters and some parents. 

But to answer your question... different parents and boosters are involved with baseball would be one guess. 

3 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

I’d like to think there isn’t any racism involved. 

But when all the drama went down last spring... it was mentioned in some of the press articles concerning boosters and some parents. 

But to answer your question... different parents and boosters are involved with baseball would be one guess. 

Bball, not baseball. And there were alot of parents who defended Peterman last Spring. 

Never said there wasn’t support for him.  I cant image anyone wanting to run off a state championship coach. 

But there was clearly some turmoil last spring that has continued to now.  I’d like to think it isn’t/wasn’t racially motivated.  

And the press might have been playing the race card.... but it was mentioned more than once.  

Sounds like a tough situation for anyone to walk into.  

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

JMHO. 

And from the outside looking in, would there be a better person to "fix" everything that's supposedly going on at DeSoto....than the person who made DeSoto what they are?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, playactionpass39 said:

Where did you see the applicant list?

Wasn't a list but a writer in the dfw said there's 2 current assistants that applied plus Mathis. Said 9 total applied which I find hard to believe but with Mathis applying I think the writing is on the wall. 

@michaelflorek: Sign of a forgone conclusion? Just nine applicants for the DeSoto football HC job. Two are current assistants. Former coach Claude Mathis has also applied.