DeSoto Open

playactionpass39

44 minutes ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

Wasn't a list but a writer in the dfw said there's 2 current assistants that applied plus Mathis. Said 9 total applied which I find hard to believe but with Mathis applying I think the writing is on the wall. 

@michaelflorek: Sign of a forgone conclusion? Just nine applicants for the DeSoto football HC job. Two are current assistants. Former coach Claude Mathis has also applied.

This is too high profile of a job. There was never going to be a long list of applicants. I would like to see how many of the other 6 are College Coaches though.

Hate to say it, but Marshall bought Mathis' BS lines hook, line, and sinker. He was always going back to Desoto and he played you all along the way. The kids and his supporters in the town need to ask him the tough questions and make him explain himself. He owes that to the community. Question is, where does Marshall turn now?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, scatright said:

Hate to say it, but Marshall bought Mathis' BS lines hook, line, and sinker. He was always going back to Desoto and he played you all along the way. The kids and his supporters in the town need to ask him the tough questions and make him explain himself. He owes that to the community. Question is, where does Marshall turn now?

Sorry to say it, but i agree.  But what do you expect a coach to say "yeah, I think I'll stay a year or 2, then I'm out when a better job comes". No one is ever going to not make the admin and community think they aren't 100% invested. 

12 minutes ago, dillonpanthers said:

Sorry to say it, but i agree.  But what do you expect a coach to say "yeah, I think I'll stay a year or 2, then I'm out when a better job comes". No one is ever going to not make the admin and community think they aren't 100% invested. 

I agree, but I am talking about the things he has said recently. I do feel he was being intentionally vague in some of his comments, but he still made them. It's one thing to profess commitment when you are not talking to other schools, but it's totally another to profess commitment when you know you are actively discussing another job you intend to take. Let's not kid ourselves, he has been talking to SOMEONE in Desoto for the entire time he has been in Marshall. I'd bet my next paycheck that he had already agreed to return before they ran the last coach out of town.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scatright said:

I agree, but I am talking about the things he has said recently. I do feel he was being intentionally vague in some of his comments, but he still made them. It's one thing to profess commitment when you are not talking to other schools, but it's totally another to profess commitment when you know you are actively discussing another job you intend to take. Let's not kid ourselves, he has been talking to SOMEONE in Desoto for the entire time he has been in Marshall. I'd bet my next paycheck that he had already agreed to return before they ran the last coach out of town.

Completely agreed that he’s been talking to people at DeSoto since the second he came back into the HS ranks.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, scatright said:

Yeah, I agree. If he leaves, he's made himself look bad (at least to East Texas) by some of his recent comments.

If coach Mathis does decide to leave for DeSoto best of luck on his new era going back to DeSoto.. Marshall need to give David Brewer the job. He is from Sheverport he know the kids in Marshall he would be a perfect fit for this program. In plus he would be a 5 to 10 year coach in bring to program back to the top that just my opinion.

• Thumbs Down 1

12 minutes ago, Mavs03 said:

How could they have a applicant list when a job has never been posted. I've seen it no where not even on desoto isd. Not saying the guy is lieing but how could they do that if it's not been posted. 

It could be posted on a bulletin board outside the admin office. 

Mathis back to Desoto should not come as a surprise to anyone. He has never had roots in east texas and like or not he took Desoto to that next level. Desoto has not played with the same swag they played with while he was their. Peterman is a very good coach but the Eagles were not the same under his leadership. Peterman will get a new job and Marshall will be fine with it's new hire. Can't blame Marshall for hiring him and I can't blame him for going back to Desoto. It is what it is.

30 minutes ago, Dawgman said:

Yeah Grainraiser, all Peterman did was lead Desoto to a STATE championship. How many of those did Mathis win there?

Mathis never had Shawn Robinson and Peterman never had to play Kyler Murray and Allen.

• Like 1

To tell the truth I really don't know how I feel. With how he talked last week saying he was fully committed to the kids In Marshall and so on. But now we are hearing he did apply. So who knows. But for now he's still our coach until we hear further so I'll leave it at that.