DeSoto Open

playactionpass39

My take:

If he's leaving....I want him to leave quickly.  We got things to do here in Marshall with or without him.  I wish him nothing but the best.  But to most around the state....it looks like he's walking into a circus at DeSoto.  I don't understand the attraction to a dysfunctional school board, an impotent superintendent, and a fan base that seems to be split on whether or not they even WANT you to return.  Dicey situation IMHO.   

If he's staying..... he needs to verbally commit with no more vague answers.  Say you are staying...and let these kids know you are 1000% invested in them right now and the future going forward.  It matters.  They can pick up on your lack of transparency.  

I will say this in defense of him........in spite of his vague words......his work ethic has never waivered.  He's already worked his tail off this offseason.  The kids are working their tails off getting ready for the 2018 season.  The Powerlifting team has already won two meets I believe.  Track participation has exploded as it nears.  He's pushing and working A LOT on both of these.  

If he leaves.....I think one of the coordinators gets the job here in Marshall.  I don't think MISD is interested in starting over again.  Mathis has assembled an outstanding staff.  Both of the coordinators seem 1000% invested into these kids.   They could be the long term commitment we need if Mathis jets.  Both have pedigree.

I Just can't imagine the school board wants to see us trying to start over again when we could be entering 2018 with a ranked team.  

The team has tons of talent coming back.... and that freshman QB from last year will be a year older with 11 games under his belt. His stats as a 9th grader were eye-popping.....and that was with a slow start (0-4 record), but he was outstanding in the last 6.

Make a decision.  Make it public.  And everyone can move on..... no matter if he goes or stays.

I will say this.... he told the boosters Monday night that DeSoto had contacted him and so had Chad Morris from Arkansas.  But he reiterated that he was in Marshall and he was working towards preparing for Lee, Longview, and Carthage.  He expressed excitement about the new district and believes it's ours for the taking.

Take it for what it is....or what it isn't.  Can only believe what the guy is telling us.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mavs03 said:

To tell the truth I really don't know how I feel. With how he talked last week saying he was fully committed to the kids In Marshall and so on. But now we are hearing he did apply. So who knows. But for now he's still our coach until we hear further so I'll leave it at that. 

Mathis regrets ever leaving DeSoto, he truly believes that the State Championship should have been his. IF he leaves Marshall it will be to return to the place he really believes is home. This will not be a knock on Marshall, the kids, the town, the Superintendent or the kids, it will simply be a personal decision based on where he feels more comfortable. 

12 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

If he leaves.....I think one of the coordinators gets the job here in Marshall.  I don't think MISD is interested in starting over again.  Mathis has assembled an outstanding staff.  Both of the coordinators seem 1000% invested into these kids.   They could be the long term commitment we need if Mathis jets.  Both have pedigree.

Mathis has assembled as good a staff as possible in Marshall and the job (IF he leaves) should go to the Offensive Coordinator. He has the pedigree to lead Marshall to where they should be.

16 minutes ago, INTENSIFICATION said:

It wasn’t the school board that created all the issues at De Soto. It was him. They acted on his behalf, and the blowback from community prevented the takeover.

This is not some coup that Mathis engineered to get his job back. He simply told some people that he wanted to get back into High School coaching so he could coach his kids and the School Board decided to take it to this level because they wanted him back. Don't blame Mathis for turning this into a war, he didn't run Peterman out of town.

16 hours ago, ANTI said:

Mathis never had Shawn Robinson and Peterman never had to play Kyler Murray and Allen.

Mathis had other years he did not have to play Allen or Kyler Murray. Peterman is a great coach and is getting knocked for what purpose? Mathis has had the talent at Desoto to win the big one. Both are great coaches, not let's act like Peterman did something Mathis has not.

I understand the idea of "home".  No one can argue that.

But he's walking into a very difficult situation it seems.

Based on things being posted on twitter and other social media, he's going where some are thrilled to have him back and and some that are livid about how Peterman was treated....and they want no part of it.  Boosters, fans, school board....he doesn't have 100% support from any of them.  Everything seems very splintered, divided, and near-hostile in DeSoto right now.

The school board and the Sup't looks like a circus to most on the outside looking in.

And here is an elephant in the room.......  He's got people like Chad Morris calling him asking about Arkansas.  In the back of your mind...you have to wonder if he's not waiting for a special call for a place you can't turn down.  While SMU was an FBS program.... when programs like Arkansas from conferences like the SEC come calling..... yeah.  That's a totally different ballpark.

Can DeSoto trust he stays..... or do they go through this again?  

Whatever he decides....more power to him.  I just think the athletes here, the boosters, the parents, and the community that has given him 100% since he got to town deserves to get an answer quickly so we can move forward with or without him.

A community that loves and supports their program like Marshall does.....  and pays competitively with just about anyone in the state ($110K plus stipends) deserves to know something.  Now.

41 minutes ago, INTENSIFICATION said:

“SMU called”.... just like “he ain’t leaving”

Mathis told the entire Booster club Monday night that Morris had contacted him. 

You can call him a liar to his face if you like. 

I think it’s foolish to believe that Mathis didn’t have some role in the situation that has come out of DeSoto recently.

I honestly believe the school board wanted him back the second he reentered the HS ranks and himself/the board have been working at getting him back there ever since.

I also believe he always viewed Marshall as a stepping stone to either returning to DeSoto or a bigger job (at a big Metroplex school or somewhere in Houston). Obviously he’s going to say all the right things to the media and to everyone in Marshall, but his true colors imo have been shown this week.

I’ll be interested to see how much of the staff he takes with him whenever he moves on (whether it’s this off season or in the future).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Mathis told the entire Booster club Monday night that Morris had contacted him. 

You can call him a liar to his face if you like. 

Come on champ......he’s saying that to soften the blow. He wants you all to blind your eyes to his involvement with desoto and the best way to do that is make you believe he’s in high demand. He’s ensuring the people of Marshall think he’s a big fish who is “SEC caliber” that way when he walks for DeSoto, Marshall believes they wouldn’t have kept him under any circumstances. Get mad Marshall, you’ve been played. 

• Thanks 1

If I was a Marshall fan I would not worry to much about were coach Mathis ends up. Coaches make changes all the time and Mathis is simply going back home. He knows better than anyone knows what it is like to work for the Desoto super and school board. He will know exactly what he is walking into if he returns to Desoto. I know how it feels to lose a beloved coach but it is part of coaching. Over the last 4 years, Lineweaver, McGuire, Westerberg, Mathis, Samples, Webb have all moved on from quality programs. Hell Wassom may be on his way out. Its just the nature of the business.

12 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

If he goes.... best of luck to him. 

Marshall will have more wins than DeSoto in 2018. 

Take that to the bank. 

I don't get where this is coming from tbh.

DeSoto, despite all the drama that's been going there, they've been pretty consistent overall as a program (outside of one year before their State Title run). Even that "average" year for them, they nearly beat Allen in the playoffs. I do think being back in a lock for D1 will hurt their playoff  runs, but still. It's not like they're not going to be a solid team.

• Like 3

If Mathis desire is to be anywhere else other than Marshall, I want him gone yesterday.  I don't wish him any ill will if he leaves, in fact I wish him the best.  The one thing that burns my tail about this whole thing is the effect that it will have on our kids. Yes,  I am angry to think that we (Marshall) would be looking for a  AD/HFC after going through this process a year ago. It is not what you do, but how you do, what you do. I may be naïve, but I believe that in leaving, Mathis could have handled this with a lot more character and integrity. At this point I believe that it is time to do damage control, and move on.  Even if he doesn't get the Desoto job, I don't know how he recovers from this, and move forward.  Especially when the community knows that he applied elsewhere, and his desire is not to be in Marshall.  Marshall is a peculiar place: they are slow to except outsiders, and can be very unforgiving when they feel that they have been wronged.

I don't believe that Mathis can go any other place and find what he has in Marshall: The support of the Superintendent, the School Board, the Booster Club, the Fans, and the entire Community.  IMO, I don't believe that he can go anywhere (including Desoto), and find the wealth of talent that he has in Marshall.  I know that Mathis supposedly has this awesome resume, but if the truth would be told, I'm not impressed. I could care less about what he did at Desoto, or, anywhere else he has coached.  The question is, what did he do with what he had in Marshall?

Somebody explain this to me. How do you have (4) four DI players, and (4) four player selected to the  Texas APSE class 5A all-state Football team on the same high school football team, and only get one game out of district? I personally think that it is time to move on, and not let Mathis decision to stay or go, dictate the direction of Marshall Maverick Football.  That's how I feel, and that's what I think! 

One other comment, don't be so quick to anoint the OC as the next AD/HFC.  Yes, the OC did come from Lake Travis, but he was not the OC at Lake Travis, he was the wide receiver coach.  Personally, I wouldn't be so quick to elevate him to AD/HFC after only being an OC for only one year.  

I personally won't say anything about the DC, or, any of the other coaches currently on the staff.  But I will say this: If, and or when, the AD/HFC position becomes available, there is one name that would be on my short list of potential candidates.  Sam Parker, son of legendary High School Football Coach Dennis Parker, who coached Marshall to the 1990 Big 5A State Championship.  Based upon his body of work, he has earned the right to have his name mentioned in the conversation of any top high school football coaching position that becomes available.  In 2014 he was a Houston "Texans coach of the week" in the Houston area. During the same year while the Head Football Coach at Spring High School, he was a finalist for the "Touchdown Club of Houston's UIL Coach of the Year".

First, I think that he (Sam) would be a man on a mission to finish the work that his dad started many years ago, and re-establish Marshall Maverick Football to its rightful position at the top of the high school football world.  Secondly, Marshall is a lot closer to his dad's home (Idabel OK) than  Houston.

Finally, because of Sam's fore knowledge of Marshall and Marshall Maverick Football, and his history with East Texas"(JT O/C) I think he would be a perfect fit, and here to stay. 

Marshall screwd up and they know it. Mathis was getting fired from SMU because he wouldn’t work hard. He promised all these Marshall people he was moving his family down here and being part of the community. That hasn’t happened and won’t happen. You can’t go outside of East Texas for a Head Coach. It’s a proven fact

• Like 1