DeSoto Open

playactionpass39

I think y’all know I’m as die hard as they come and I laughed at that one.  🙄🙄🙄

There is talent here. No doubt. Enough we should have been winning more than we have.  But we haven’t  

Some of that is on the players. Some of it has been on coaching. Some of it because the other teams were simply better. 

But here’s what annoys me most about some of the things on this thread:  

Some of you are calling out the school board, boosters, and fans of Marshall for being foolish for taking a chance on this guy. Foolish for believing a man at his word.  If you can’t take a person for his word..... that’s a real problem.

If we’ve been duped, we’ll know soon enough. And shame on him if that’s what has happened.  If we’ve been taken, it’s because we believed the words a man spoke to us as being truth. 

Thats a shame on HIM.  Not a shame on the school board.  Or the Boosters.  Or the fans.  All we are guilty of is believing him for what he’s been saying for the last year.

Thats a poor reflection on him. Not on us imho.  We simply went for someone we believe (and still believe) can build us into a winner  

Even after all this.... he’s STILL not said he’s gone. If he stays.... it sure makes some of you look Foolish.  

I still believe in him.  I think the kids do too.  Based on the booster club.... so do they.  

He’s continually SAID he’s committed to winning here.  Why not take him for what he says?

If you haven’t been to booster meeting, the FB banquet, or other PUBLIC forums to hear him speak...  I don’t know how you can call Marshall folk liars and foolish for believing him.

until he says he’s gone.... we are believing he’s staying. 

And if he is.... we will move on without him. 

I wish him the best.  

And I never said DeSoto was about to suddenly become a loser.  I just said there is a MESS there to clean up.  

Meanwhile we have a pretty stacked team waiting to come back in 2018 here  

I think we’re primed for a bigger season than they are.  With or without coach Mathis.  

Jmho  

• Like 2

On 2/9/2018 at 10:12 PM, Grainraiser said:

If I was a Marshall fan I would not worry to much about were coach Mathis ends up. Coaches make changes all the time and Mathis is simply going back home. He knows better than anyone knows what it is like to work for the Desoto super and school board. He will know exactly what he is walking into if he returns to Desoto. I know how it feels to lose a beloved coach but it is part of coaching. Over the last 4 years, Lineweaver, McGuire, Westerberg, Mathis, Samples, Webb have all moved on from quality programs. Hell Wassom may be on his way out. Its just the nature of the business.

Mathis shouldn’t be mentioned in the same breath with those guys. The year he left DeSoto they won a state title; sums it up 

7 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

I think y’all know I’m as die hard as they come and I laughed at that one.  🙄🙄🙄

There is talent here. No doubt. Enough we should have been winning more than we have.  But we haven’t  

Some of that is on the players. Some of it has been on coaching. Some of it because the other teams were simply better. 

But here’s what annoys me most about some of the things on this thread:  

Some of you are calling out the school board, boosters, and fans of Marshall for being foolish for taking a chance on this guy. Foolish for believing a man at his word.  If you can’t take a person for his word..... that’s a real problem.

I will say this, unless Mathis or his wife is from the Marshall area or nearby, it would seem a little naive to believe that a person would stay long term in a place with 30 thousand people, when they come from an area of over 6 million. Not saying you guys are wrong to hire him, I just think it is naive not to think its in the realm of possibility that he may not be there long term. Just my opinion.   

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

and this is more proof that he isn't trying to stay long term.

What puzzles me is how the Marshall folks can see this happening and “take him at his word” when saying he’s all in with the Mavs. There’s a reason he never moved his family......always been a reason. 

• Like 1

He interviewed with the Marshall News just a couple of days ago about the 2018 schedule for an article that was published SUNDAY.... in it...he said.........

On scrimmaging Killeen Ellison:
"I know them very, well.  He used to be my mentor. He coached me in high school and he gave me my first job. I know what kind of team they have so it's going to be a very, very physical ballgame for us but it's going to help us out. They're 6A school, a good program. They made the playoffs last year. They got beat by Duncanville. It's going to be a good 6A school for us to scrimmage.

On facing Tyler Lee, Longview, and Carthage in non district:
Our schedule is difficult but I know our kids are not going to back down from anybody.  They're going to play their hearts out and hopefully we can come away with some wins this time in the preseason. It's also going to prepare us for the district that we're going to be facing because that's what the preseason is for, for us to get the rust off and for our guys to get sharpened a little bit for district play"

On facing new teams in district:
I really don't know a lot about them.  I know they're good programs and I know that they're coached really well. We're going to have our work cut out but it's going to be fun. I have to do my research and my game plan. I have to do my homework on that, which I will because we always have a plan and now we have to put that plan in action.  It's going to be fun, it's going to be real fun.  The kids are really excited about it. They welcome the challenge, so we'll continue to work in the offseason. They're doing a good job of working hard and those guys deserve a chance to defend their district title. It's not going to be easy so they're putting in the work because it's a very competitive district so they can't slack."

It's just words....I'm aware.

Again....some of us believe in taking a man at his word.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, scatright said:

What puzzles me is how the Marshall folks can see this happening and “take him at his word” when saying he’s all in with the Mavs. There’s a reason he never moved his family......always been a reason. 

His oldest son is in Marshall with him.

Maybe his family dynamic isn't anyone's business. 

That's all I'm going to say about that.  But just saying.

1 hour ago, JTFAN99 said:

I will say this, unless Mathis or his wife is from the Marshall area or nearby, it would seem a little naive to believe that a person would stay long term in a place with 30 thousand people, when they come from an area of over 6 million. Not saying you guys are wrong to hire him, I just think it is naive not to think its in the realm of possibility that he may not be there long term. Just my opinion.   

Seldom to coaches stay anywhere long term. Marshall fans seem upset but they have to remember that Mathis left Desoto twice. Once as running backs coach for UofH and then too SMU. I'm sure he told the Desoto fans the exactly samething he told Marshall fans. It's part of the job. I am not sure he will be offered the job at Desoto due to him leaving them twice over the last 4 years.

8 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

He interviewed with the Marshall News just a couple of days ago about the 2018 schedule for an article that was published SUNDAY.... in it...he said.........

On scrimmaging Killeen Ellison:
"I know them very, well.  He used to be my mentor. He coached me in high school and he gave me my first job. I know what kind of team they have so it's going to be a very, very physical ballgame for us but it's going to help us out. They're 6A school, a good program. They made the playoffs last year. They got beat by Duncanville. It's going to be a good 6A school for us to scrimmage.

On facing Tyler Lee, Longview, and Carthage in non district:
Our schedule is difficult but I know our kids are not going to back down from anybody.  They're going to play their hearts out and hopefully we can come away with some wins this time in the preseason. It's also going to prepare us for the district that we're going to be facing because that's what the preseason is for, for us to get the rust off and for our guys to get sharpened a little bit for district play"

On facing new teams in district:
I really don't know a lot about them.  I know they're good programs and I know that they're coached really well. We're going to have our work cut out but it's going to be fun. I have to do my research and my game plan. I have to do my homework on that, which I will because we always have a plan and now we have to put that plan in action.  It's going to be fun, it's going to be real fun.  The kids are really excited about it. They welcome the challenge, so we'll continue to work in the offseason. They're doing a good job of working hard and those guys deserve a chance to defend their district title. It's not going to be easy so they're putting in the work because it's a very competitive district so they can't slack."

It's just words....I'm aware.

Again....some of us believe in taking a man at his word.  

Where are you scrimmaging Killeen?  THat is one hell of a drive

Here's the thing with coaches.  You go somewhere and you do your best.  If your best is enough, its positioning yourself for the next best thing.  

So what is the next best thing for Mathis?  Is it moving back home with his wife and kids?  Is it getting his wife and kids to move to Marshall with him?  

I clearly remember someone THIS YEAR on this forum mentioning his wife and kids staying in Desoto this year because of her job.  She had already started her new contract or couldn't find anything lateral or better in East Texas.  

Either way, I am with MavChamp...  If his focus is winning and longevity, then he will be in Marshall.  If it is being with his wife and kids without making them move and job search again, he will go back to DFW soon enough.  

I find it hard to believe that he came to Marshall and worked as hard as he did to get the staff and program on track, while thinking of ditching the program first chance he got... I think we would have seen a far worse football team if that was the case.

With all of that being said, I really hope Marshall's OL improves next season and we can see that running game come back to Marshall.

• Like 1

First of all, I would like to apologize, and eat crow, when it comes to bashing "Intesification"... if this thing unfolds with Mathis leaving then he clearly was right from the get go. Im not sure about ALL of his antics, but he was spot on with Mathis potentially leaving. So I apologize for doubting. 

As for the rest of this mess. I would think in the coaching profession that for a coach to turn down a top level job in the state he would be foolish (Examples: Allen, Katy, Desoto, Trinity, Lake Travis, Judson, Westlake, The Woodlands, etc) There are about 10 6a jobs you don't say no to. I dont care who the coach is, you don't turn them down. This is the situation Marshall could be in. Id think they knew from the start that if Mathis was there for 2-3 years it was a win for them. Surely they didnt see him being a decade long coach, or a lifer. Thatd be foolish knowing him and his coaching career path. 

I think its hard for a coach to be in limbo and save face with the community. Alot of coaches don't go through that, but for these high profile jobs that can be different when information gets out to the public. I think he has been upfront... to some degree. He told Marshall he was a Mav. He then told Marshall that Desoto had contacted him. From that point, i don't think you can cling to his first statement. At this point it is up in the air.

The question is where does Marshall go if he does leave. At the same time, if he does stay, Marshall can be a hostile place once trust is burned. The town of Marshall cannot be entitled to keeping a high caliber coach forever, or thinking they will. Marshall is not a state power house (not yet at least), and living in the 90s success isn't valid. All the coaches who have come through Marshall have left, clearly knowing the talent they had. I think the bigger question is why have they left? If the talent is so surreal in Marshall then why are these coaches leaving? I something going on internally to cause this? Has the Marshall job just become a "stepping stone" job for coaches to get to thier next job?

We will know id think by mid March if not sooner. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WingTright said:

First of all, I would like to apologize, and eat crow, when it comes to bashing "Intesification"... if this thing unfolds with Mathis leaving then he clearly was right from the get go. Im not sure about ALL of his antics, but he was spot on with Mathis potentially leaving. So I apologize for doubting. 

As for the rest of this mess. I would think in the coaching profession that for a coach to turn down a top level job in the state he would be foolish (Examples: Allen, Katy, Desoto, Trinity, Lake Travis, Judson, Westlake, The Woodlands, etc) There are about 10 6a jobs you don't say no to. I dont care who the coach is, you don't turn them down. This is the situation Marshall could be in. Id think they knew from the start that if Mathis was there for 2-3 years it was a win for them. Surely they didnt see him being a decade long coach, or a lifer. Thatd be foolish knowing him and his coaching career path. 

I think its hard for a coach to be in limbo and save face with the community. Alot of coaches don't go through that, but for these high profile jobs that can be different when information gets out to the public. I think he has been upfront... to some degree. He told Marshall he was a Mav. He then told Marshall that Desoto had contacted him. From that point, i don't think you can cling to his first statement. At this point it is up in the air.

The question is where does Marshall go if he does leave. At the same time, if he does stay, Marshall can be a hostile place once trust is burned. The town of Marshall cannot be entitled to keeping a high caliber coach forever, or thinking they will. Marshall is not a state power house (not yet at least), and living in the 90s success isn't valid. All the coaches who have come through Marshall have left, clearly knowing the talent they had. I think the bigger question is why have they left? If the talent is so surreal in Marshall then why are these coaches leaving? I something going on internally to cause this? Has the Marshall job just become a "stepping stone" job for coaches to get to thier next job?

We will know id think by mid March if not sooner. 

The only mistake Marshall made was letting the new Sup jack with Harper.That domino caused the rest to fall. He had the program climbing back to where it should be. New Sup wanted a New AD/ HFB and chose not only a Metroplex guy, but a coach on the way out at SMU, in contact with board members at De Soto, which delayed the announcement for his hire at Marshall, and once the townspeople and athletes spoke for Peterman, Mathis magically decided to sign the dotted line. Marshall will be fine, but when the time comes can this Sup get it right? I know I know Marshallites and other DOUBTERS, "you don't know, you don't know", but guess what, THAT JUST HAPPENED. Best of luck to all involved! Hope Marshall and De Soto rolls!

9 minutes ago, INTENSIFICATION said:

The only mistake Marshall made was letting the new Sup jack with Harper.That domino caused the rest to fall. He had the program climbing back to where it should be. New Sup wanted a New AD/ HFB and chose not only a Metroplex guy, but a coach on the way out at SMU, in contact with board members at De Soto, which delayed the announcement for his hire at Marshall, and once the townspeople and athletes spoke for Peterman, Mathis magically decided to sign the dotted line. Marshall will be fine, but when the time comes can this Sup get it right? I know I know Marshallites and other DOUBTERS, "you don't know, you don't know", but guess what, THAT JUST HAPPENED. Best of luck to all involved! Hope Marshall and De Soto rolls!

This is where we agree to disagree. You don't just kick out your State Champ football coach for no reason. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, INTENSIFICATION said:

The main point I would argue against you is that you are acting like it was all premeditated.  The way Mathis has coaches this season and last off season doesn’t appear like a guy for a quick 1 yr stop... he was building hard for the future.

Now the fact that the job came open and whatever has transpired since then, I won’t fault the guy either way.  But 1 year into this job I would say that he has done a fantastic job preparing these students for future successes.  Or at least that’s what I’ve heard from everyone in that area 

15 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

The main point I would argue against you is that you are acting like it was all premeditated.  The way Mathis has coaches this season and last off season doesn’t appear like a guy for a quick 1 yr stop... he was building hard for the future.

Now the fact that the job came open and whatever has transpired since then, I won’t fault the guy either way.  But 1 year into this job I would say that he has done a fantastic job preparing these students for future successes.  Or at least that’s what I’ve heard from everyone in that area 

Regardless if he stays or goes, i think you are right. If he leaves, he can leave knowing he made the program better. The reason Marshall will have a hard time with him leaving is because they know the impact he is making with the program. 

He would be leaving it better than he found it. I believe marshall folk would agree with that. 

• Like 1

Finally, someone on here made a profound statement..."the only mistake Marshall made was letting the new Sup jack with Harper.  That domino caused the rest to fall."  Where were you loyal Maverick fans when this was happening?  Did any of you show concern over this?  I've known Coach Clint Harper for most of his coaching career--a class act in leadership, great example for any young man to follow.  Ask the young men that he has coached over the years.   Marshall's loss--Duncanville's gain.  

• Like 1