DeSoto Open

playactionpass39

Yes, I am a "Homer", rightfully so. I see that you have jokes, and I hear the sound of laughter in the air.  It has been said that ignorance is bliss, but let me share this with you while you are laughing.  If you pay close attention, you can learn some lessons from history.  FYI, Marshall has never lacked talent:  during the lean years, Marshall lost not because we lacked talent, but because of one of three things 1) the coach chose to play politics, and not play the best athletes (If you don't win, you loose your job anyway). 2) The coach's inability to evaluate the talent that he has. 3) During the lean years, our most talented athlete chose not to be a part of a loosing program, so, they chose not to play, or, go somewhere else and be a part of a winning program.  

While you are laughing, remember (if you are old enough to do so) it was Marshall who went head to head with Dallas Carter; Odessa Permian; and Converse Judson when they were at the peak of their power, and it was Marshall that forever changed the landscape of the UIL Football bracketing system.  The system that continue to afford many more schools an opportunity to win a UIL state championship in this great state of Texas.  In 1988 Marshall rose as high as #10 in the national high school football poll, loosing to eventual State Champions Dallas Carter in the final seconds (the quarter finals game in Waco Texas).  Furthermore, I doubt that we loose that game if our top linebacker (Michael Todd) had not been out with an injury. Only to have the UIL come back later and stripping Dallas Carter of their title, and changing the outcome of that game.  Making the 1988 Marshall Maverick football team, the only undefeated high school team in the history of the UIL, not to win a state championship. 

Prior to 1990, two teams represented each district in the state playoffs.  In an effort to level the playing field, in 1990 the UIL chose to send three teams to the playoffs from each district. Dividing the 5a classification into two divisions (Big 5a - two teams up, and Regular 5a - one team down).  This would supposedly insure that all of the smaller and larger schools would be paired with other schools of like enrollment. Ironically, the UIL found the Big 5a championship game with Marshall (one of the smallest 5a schools) paired against Converse Judson (the largest 5a school in the state at the time). Marshall Won!  The next year the UIL changed the bracketing system to one team up, and two team down. That game (Marshall vs. Converse Judson) forever changed the UIL bracketing system. The UIL eventually decided to send  (4) four teams from each district to the playoffs (2 and 2). Know this, Marshall don't have to run behind any coach (we are just looking for the right fit), because we make the coach the coach don't make us.   Marshall never lack talent, so, be careful when you laugh, because for those who know, the sound that you hear, are not people laughing with you, but at you. I have one last question,  Is it still funny to you??? 

• LOL! 1

15 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

He interviewed with the Marshall News just a couple of days ago about the 2018 schedule for an article that was published SUNDAY.... in it...he said.........

On scrimmaging Killeen Ellison:
"I know them very, well.  He used to be my mentor. He coached me in high school and he gave me my first job. I know what kind of team they have so it's going to be a very, very physical ballgame for us but it's going to help us out. They're 6A school, a good program. They made the playoffs last year. They got beat by Duncanville. It's going to be a good 6A school for us to scrimmage.

On facing Tyler Lee, Longview, and Carthage in non district:
Our schedule is difficult but I know our kids are not going to back down from anybody.  They're going to play their hearts out and hopefully we can come away with some wins this time in the preseason. It's also going to prepare us for the district that we're going to be facing because that's what the preseason is for, for us to get the rust off and for our guys to get sharpened a little bit for district play"

On facing new teams in district:
I really don't know a lot about them.  I know they're good programs and I know that they're coached really well. We're going to have our work cut out but it's going to be fun. I have to do my research and my game plan. I have to do my homework on that, which I will because we always have a plan and now we have to put that plan in action.  It's going to be fun, it's going to be real fun.  The kids are really excited about it. They welcome the challenge, so we'll continue to work in the offseason. They're doing a good job of working hard and those guys deserve a chance to defend their district title. It's not going to be easy so they're putting in the work because it's a very competitive district so they can't slack."

It's just words....I'm aware.

Again....some of us believe in taking a man at his word.  

come on Mav...what is he supposed to say. Of course he is all in as long as he is there.  Every coach is all in while they are there. No coach is going to tell you they are waiting for another job.  You of all people should know this.  Again, I am not bashing Marshall for the hire. It was a good hire. I'm just saying, don't be shock if he leaves. 

53 minutes ago, MAV1975 said:

Yes, I am a "Homer", rightfully so. I see that you have jokes, and I hear the sound of laughter in the air.  It has been said that ignorance is bliss, but let me share this with you while you are laughing.  If you pay close attention, you can learn some lessons from history.  FYI, Marshall has never lacked talent:  during the lean years, Marshall lost not because we lacked talent, but because of one of three things 1) the coach chose to play politics, and not play the best athletes (If you don't win, you loose your job anyway). 2) The coach's inability to evaluate the talent that he has. 3) During the lean years, our most talented athlete chose not to be a part of a loosing program, so, they chose not to play, or, go somewhere else and be a part of a winning program.  

While you are laughing, remember (if you are old enough to do so) it was Marshall who went head to head with Dallas Carter; Odessa Permian; and Converse Judson when they were at the peak of their power, and it was Marshall that forever changed the landscape of the UIL Football bracketing system.  The system that continue to afford many more schools an opportunity to win a UIL state championship in this great state of Texas.  In 1988 Marshall rose as high as #10 in the national high school football poll, loosing to eventual State Champions Dallas Carter in the final seconds (the quarter finals game in Waco Texas).  Furthermore, I doubt that we loose that game if our top linebacker (Michael Todd) had not been out with an injury. Only to have the UIL come back later and stripping Dallas Carter of their title, and changing the outcome of that game.  Making the 1988 Marshall Maverick football team, the only undefeated high school team in the history of the UIL, not to win a state championship. 

Prior to 1990, two teams represented each district in the state playoffs.  In an effort to level the playing field, in 1990 the UIL chose to send three teams to the playoffs from each district. Dividing the 5a classification into two divisions (Big 5a - two teams up, and Regular 5a - one team down).  This would supposedly insure that all of the smaller and larger schools would be paired with other schools of like enrollment. Ironically, the UIL found the Big 5a championship game with Marshall (one of the smallest 5a schools) paired against Converse Judson (the largest 5a school in the state at the time). Marshall Won!  The next year the UIL changed the bracketing system to one team up, and two team down. That game (Marshall vs. Converse Judson) forever changed the UIL bracketing system. The UIL eventually decided to send  (4) four teams from each district to the playoffs (2 and 2). Know this, Marshall don't have to run behind any coach (we are just looking for the right fit), because we make the coach the coach don't make us.   Marshall never lack talent, so, be careful when you laugh, because for those who know, the sound that you hear, are not people laughing with you, but at you. I have one last question,  Is it still funny to you??? 

I'm not sure we believe Marshall lacks talent, but Marshall is not on the level of DeSoto.  Demographics have changed over the last 30 yrs. Marshall has about 400 less kids now compared to the late 80s and early 90s.  Schools like Dallas Carter, Kimball and etc are half the size they used to be...because many of those folks...as well as new people to DFW, have moved into the suburbs like DeSoto, Cedar Hill, Duncanville, Lancaster, Mansfield, etc. This wasn't the case in the late 80 early 90s, where most of the talent was in the inner city.  Most of the talent now is in the suburbs, and the schools have 2500-3000 students, compared to Marshall's 1400 students.   The numbers game is catching up with all of East Texas, not just Marshall.

On 2/8/2018 at 10:37 PM, Mavchamp said:

My take:

If he's leaving....I want him to leave quickly.  We got things to do here in Marshall with or without him.  I wish him nothing but the best.  But to most around the state....it looks like he's walking into a circus at DeSoto.  I don't understand the attraction to a dysfunctional school board, an impotent superintendent, and a fan base that seems to be split on whether or not they even WANT you to return.  Dicey situation IMHO.   

If he's staying..... he needs to verbally commit with no more vague answers.  Say you are staying...and let these kids know you are 1000% invested in them right now and the future going forward.  It matters.  They can pick up on your lack of transparency.  

I will say this in defense of him........in spite of his vague words......his work ethic has never waivered.  He's already worked his tail off this offseason.  The kids are working their tails off getting ready for the 2018 season.  The Powerlifting team has already won two meets I believe.  Track participation has exploded as it nears.  He's pushing and working A LOT on both of these.  

If he leaves.....I think one of the coordinators gets the job here in Marshall.  I don't think MISD is interested in starting over again.  Mathis has assembled an outstanding staff.  Both of the coordinators seem 1000% invested into these kids.   They could be the long term commitment we need if Mathis jets.  Both have pedigree.

I Just can't imagine the school board wants to see us trying to start over again when we could be entering 2018 with a ranked team.  

The team has tons of talent coming back.... and that freshman QB from last year will be a year older with 11 games under his belt. His stats as a 9th grader were eye-popping.....and that was with a slow start (0-4 record), but he was outstanding in the last 6.

Make a decision.  Make it public.  And everyone can move on..... no matter if he goes or stays.

I will say this.... he told the boosters Monday night that DeSoto had contacted him and so had Chad Morris from Arkansas.  But he reiterated that he was in Marshall and he was working towards preparing for Lee, Longview, and Carthage.  He expressed excitement about the new district and believes it's ours for the taking.

Take it for what it is....or what it isn't.  Can only believe what the guy is telling us.  

I can PROMISE you that Chad Morris did not contact him about a job.. PROMISE!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MAV1975 said:

Nobody denies that Marshall has talent.

We're laughing at the blasphemous notion that Marshall currently has the most talent of anyone in the state, as you stated in that rediculous post. 

Forget Desoto, there are about 6-7 East Texas programs alone who are laughing hard at that statement.

And I hate to break it to you, but events in the 70's, 80's and 90's mean absolutely nothing in 2018. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MAV1975 said:

While you are laughing, remember (if you are old enough to do so) it was Marshall who went head to head with Dallas Carter; Odessa Permian; and Converse Judson when they were at the peak of their power,

That was literally 30 years ago.

And I'm sorry, but it's nothing that Longview/Lufkin/John Tyler etc didn't have to face and go head to head against either.

No one denies that Marshall has taken, but to say they're more talented than Longview/Lufkin/John Tyler right now...not mention DeSoto...is just absolutely ridiculous. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

come on Mav...what is he supposed to say. Of course he is all in as long as he is there.  Every coach is all in while they are there. No coach is going to tell you they are waiting for another job.  You of all people should no this.  Again, I am not bashing Marshall for the hire. It was a good hire. I'm just saying, don't be shock if he leaves. 

Exactly. Similar to what happened with Coach George at Lee. He said all the same things, as anyone in that position would. And similar to Mathis, his family never made the move from the metroplex. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ilovefootball said:

Finally, someone on here made a profound statement..."the only mistake Marshall made was letting the new Sup jack with Harper.  That domino caused the rest to fall."  Where were you loyal Maverick fans when this was happening?  Did any of you show concern over this?  I've known Coach Clint Harper for most of his coaching career--a class act in leadership, great example for any young man to follow.  Ask the young men that he has coached over the years.   Marshall's loss--Duncanville's gain.  

If he was that great then why is he not coaching?

Not even going to respond to a post talking about seasons that were nearly 30 years ago. 

🙄🙄🙄🙄

Hell.... Permian, Plano, Aldine, and Judson are all also-rans now.  Why even talk about that mess???  1990?  Seriously?  

THSFB has changed since then.  With ththe split divisions in 5A.... it just changed more.  

1988.   🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

———————

Harper left for one. reason: $$$$.  Others will have their own reasons, but $$$ was the driving force.  Not even mad about it.   Everyone deserves to make as much as they can in anything they do.   Not to mention he’s counting paper clips instead of working 60 hrs a week coaching.  Brilliant move thanks to our former Supt giving him the golden keys.  

I wasn’t happy with HOW he left.  It was unprofessional imho.   But I don’t blame him for chasing the benjamins.  

He came in and stopped the bleeding after a disasterious expedient with Richters.  He moved us forward from that.  Made us an annual playoff team again.  Got a district title.  Had a region semifinals appearance.

Mathis has continued that upward trend.  Another district title.  

Marshall is looking to make the next step from annual playoff contender to annual title contender.  We aren’t there yet.  Split divisions may help.   We shall see.  

If Mathis stays.......I expect the upward trend to continue.  If he leaves.... as long as we keep this staff mostly intact... I think the upward trajectory stays on course.

Him staying or going isn’t huge.  How MISD handles it is.  

All this speculation.... and the man is still here.  

13 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Not even going to respond to a post talking about seasons that were nearly 30 years ago. 

🙄🙄🙄🙄

Hell.... Permian, Plano, Aldine, and Judson are all also-rans now.  Why even talk about that mess???  1990?  Seriously?  

THSFB has changed since then.  With ththe split divisions in 5A.... it just changed more.  

1988.   🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

———————

Marshall is looking to make the next step from annual playoff contender to annual title contender.  We aren’t there yet.  Split divisions may help.   We shall see.  

I would say Judson is still pretty good.  I think the split division in 5a will help Marshall and the rest of East Texas.

The best thing that has happened the last few years in Marshall is getting Dr. Gibson and bringing in a new staff.  Harper and co. only beat who there were suppose to beat(Hallsville, Pine Tree, Mt Pleasant, Crandall, Royce City, etc) .  They got completely embarrassed every year in the playoffs by anybody formidable(Lone Star, Wylie East,etc.)...

2 hours ago, MAV1975 said:

Man... the lean years... I left right before that... It was a lack of talent during Richters time frame as coach.  No one expected him to go 8-2 or whatever in those years, but the ceiling was about 4... That's not a knock on those kids, but we lost a lot of college talent those last 2 years of Harris and there was nothing that came up behind it to replace it... at least not enough to make a statement during that time frame.  Richters got fired, mostly because he came in and changed it all and made those kids look like fools on the playing field... not because he lost... 

Now bringing up the past is fine and all.  Yes, Marshall has an athletic football pedigree.  There aren't many Texas HS football coaches that I met that haven't heard of Marshall, Texas and it is because of our football tradition.  However, our losing seasons were because of a lack of talent and a brutal non-district schedule... Not politics...

• Thanks 1

Talent was down for Richters. No doubt. 

But he also had some self-inflicted wounds made by some atrocious changes in our offensive schemes when he took over.  

He tried to erase 20+ years of an offensive system that had worked just fine under Parker, Harper, Southern, and Harris.   He tried to make us something we weren’t (West coast offense). 

We didn’t have the talent/personnel to run it. We didnt have the staff to teach it.   It was a total disaster. 

Ive already put the numbers out there from those 2 seasons. Historic lows for the program. 

Harper came in.... reinstalled the old system.... rest is history.

We should know something in the next week. Then all this mess can end.

50 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

🙄🙄🙄🙄

1988.   🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

———————

Harper left for one. reason: $$$$.  Others will have their own reasons, but $$$ was the driving force.  Not even mad about it.   Everyone deserves to make as much as they can in anything they do.   Not to mention he’s counting paper clips instead of working 60 hrs a week coaching.  Brilliant move thanks to our former Supt giving him the golden keys.  

I wasn’t happy with HOW he left.  It was unprofessional imho.   But I don’t blame him for chasing the benjamins.  

He came in and stopped the bleeding after a disasterious expedient with Richters.  He moved us forward from that.  Made us an annual playoff team again.  Got a district title.  Had a region semifinals appearance.

If Mathis stays.......I expect the upward trend to continue.  If he leaves.... as long as we keep this staff mostly intact... I think the upward trajectory stays on course.

Him staying or going isn’t huge.  How MISD handles it is.  

All this speculation.... and the man is still here.  

That is 100% false. The Supt is the reason Harper left. I talked to Clint many times after the Supt was hired and the things that he was doing to interfere with Clint's job made it a unworkable situation. From things as petty as wanting Clint to let him negotiate the playoff site.  Things that NO SUPT does.  The Supt being a former coach couldn't keep his hands out of many things.   Harper left for that reason.  Money had zero to do with it. The money he was making in Marshall is the equivalent of what he is now making in Duncanville when you figure in cost of living in Marshall and Duncanville.  Marshall was Harper's retirement stop, the dream job he always wanted.

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

South Oak Cliff was a semifnalist in 2014

Lone Star was a state runner up in 2015

Wylie East had beaten Highland Park and went 3 rounds deep in 2016. 

Wasnt like we were losing to scrubs. 

Losing is one thing, but not being competitive and kids looking totally unprepared is another....Marshall's defense was atrocious during the Clint Harper era.  Wylie East hung 70 pts on Marshall, that never is suppose to happen...Marshall had the best defense in at least 10 years with their new staff and that was without an off-season and spring ball.....

Like I said previously, "They say that ignorance is bliss"! Contrary to what you may believe, I am not living in the past. I didn't mention the teams of the 80's and 90's because of demographics, but because of numbers. We all know that demographics will always change, but numbers never lie. Regardless to what you say or think, It does not change the fact, that in 1990, Marshall (one of the smallest high schools in the state) Beat Converse Judson ( the largest high school in the state of Texas at the time) for the big 5a state championship.  That was because of our rich talent base.  Based on enrollment numbers, Marshall was not even supposed to be on the same field with Judson.

I know that you may think that it is ridiculous, and some blasphemous at the idea that Marshall would have talent on par with the big programs in the larger Metropolitan areas.  Time will eventually bare that out.  I don't blame Mathis if he wants to go to the place that he considers to be home, I wish him well.  If he don't want to be here, I want him to move on, so that we can move forward.  You can say what you want about the man, but I do consider him to be a great evaluator of talent.  When he stated that he came to Marshall not to win district championship, but to win state championships, and to build a nationally ranked program.  You don't make that statement, nor, are you able to do that without having elite talent.  I will support the coach, who ever he may be, but my unwavering commitment will always be to Marshall Maverick Football.  We know what we have, and time will tell!

FYI: 

Plano was the largest high school in Texas in 1990.  Not Judson. 

We have got to win some playoff games to even be mentioned in the same breath as some of the teams that are in 5A Div II.... much less 6A. 

It’s 2018.  Not 1990. 

I stand corrected, Converse Judson was one of the largest schools in the state of Texas. Now, if my memory serves me correctly, It was Marshall that beat Plano (the largest school in the state) 24-19 in the quarterfinals. In route to the state championship.  I understand that it is 2018, but it has been that defeatist mentality, and inferiority complex that hindered this program in recent years. Based upon what I know, I will continue to believe that with the right leadership, Marshall is able to compete with anybody (5A Div. II or 6A).  Thank you very much!

I beg to differ, so, I agree to disagree.  There was a time when 5A was the states largest Classification, and you had one team from each district, with one eventual state champion.  5A was broken down to (2)two champions.  Then, out of the same pool of schools the 6A was created with (2) two more state champions. That made a total of (4) four champions coming out of a pool that was once  produced (I) one champion.  I may be wrong, if I am correct me. Now, you have 5A Div. II which creates (2) more state champions.  That makes a total of (6) six state champions (5A & 6A) coming out of pool that once produced (1) champion.  With the right coach, Marshall will do well regardless to what District, Division, or Classification they are in.