DeSoto Open

playactionpass39

1 hour ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

I read on another site few days ago that Brown was staying at Little Elm, has something changed? 

I think Brown is from Tyler.  He applied for the JT job when it was open last time.  Alot of people wanted either him or Holmes.  He was a good DC at Desoto

6 minutes ago, foxsportseasttexas said:

M.I.S.D. facilities will be improved within the next 12-18 months.... all that is irrelevant to a real ball-coach though.  If the Marshall job does come available, it will have 10 times the interest than the Desoto gig.  

If Mathis leaves, the Offensive Coordinator will be the next Head Football Coach in Marshall.

23 minutes ago, foxsportseasttexas said:

M.I.S.D. facilities will be improved within the next 12-18 months.... all that is irrelevant to a real ball-coach though.  If the Marshall job does come available, it will have 10 times the interest than the Desoto gig.  

this I agree with.  I just want the next guy to come in there to be there... not to be a place holder to bolster the resume...  its been a long time since we had longevity at the HFC in Marshall.

2 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

you just wait... you are only 6 months away from the next mentioning of King getting fired.

I can tolerate that okay, but if they start any of that King vs. Surratt c.r.a.p,. I'm gonna be banning fools left and right.  :woot:

• LOL! 2

Yes, I live in Sugar Land, but I am in Marshall almost weekly, so I may not be as far removed from the reality of Marshall as you may think.  I am well aware of the socio-economic conditions that currently exist in Marshall today.  Be that as it may, It does not change what I think about Marshall, and its ability to consistently compete with the elite programs year in, and year out. When Dennis Parker first came to Marshall, there was a defeatist mentality, and inferiority complex that emanated, and persisted throughout the entire community.  Everyone was of the mindset that that Marshall could not play with, and surely not beat, the Longview's, Lufkin's, or, the John Tyler's of this world. It took a man that was rooted and grounded in who he was, unyielding in that which he believed, and a willingness not to be uncompromised in order to change that culture. Because he held his position, and stayed the course, there was a time when (3yrs) no team from East Texas beat us.  So, I will not apologize for digging in, and believing what I Do. I guess time will tell.

6 minutes ago, MAV1975 said:

Yes, I live in Sugar Land, but I am in Marshall almost weekly, so I may not be as far removed from the reality of Marshall as you may think.  I am well aware of the socio-economic conditions that currently exist in Marshall today.  Be that as it may, It does not change what I think about Marshall, and its ability to consistently compete with the elite programs year in, and year out. When Dennis Parker first came to Marshall, there was a defeatist mentality, and inferiority complex that emanated, and persisted throughout the entire community.  Everyone was of the mindset that that Marshall could not play with, and surely not beat, the Longview's, Lufkin's, or, the John Tyler's of this world. It took a man that was rooted and grounded in who he was, unyielding in that which he believed, and a willingness not to be uncompromised in order to change that culture. Because he held his position, and stayed the course, there was a time when (3yrs) no team from East Texas beat us.  So, I will not apologize for digging in, and believing what I Do. I guess time will tell.

Here you go again...

Back in those days, Marshall was the same size as Longview, Lufkin and John Tyler... And Dennis Parker also had a losing record against Longview (1-4), Lufkin(2-3) and was only 3-2 against John Tyler his 1st 5 years... 

But I applaud you for believing in the school and the talent base... we all do... just some of us are a bit more realistic with our expectations... 

33 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Any chance he retires as the HFC and Longview allows him to do the AD thing for a few years?

Longview would let him do whatever he wants...  but if he retired immediately post-Haynes, I'd expect him to pull a "Bob Stoops" and focus entirely on his family. 

• Thanks 2

You say you understand demographics and trends.... yet you ignore the core reasons why they matter. 

Erase Marshall for a second. 

Why has it been so long since Longview won state?  Look at who they’ve lost to the last 20 years. 

Been almost 20 years for Lufkin.  Who have they lost to?

Been almost 25 years for JT. Who have they lost to?

Been over a decade for Lee. Who have they lost to?

Been almost 15 for Texas High. Who have they lost to?  

There is a common denominator between ALMOST every one of these losses between all these teams. 

The demographics at Marshall, Texas High, Longview, Lufkin, JT, and Lee are practically identical. 

The trophies are stacking up at the suburban schools. Some of them brand new. 

Those are stats. Those are demographics.  And Marshall is in a similar trend to all the 5A/6A schools.

i have no clue why you think we’d somehow be immune. 

2 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

You say you understand demographics and trends.... yet you ignore the core reasons why they matter. 

Erase Marshall for a second. 

Why has it been so long since Longview won state?  Look at who they’ve lost to the last 20 years. 

Been almost 20 years for Lufkin.  Who have they lost to?

Been almost 25 years for JT. Who have they lost to?

Been over a decade for Lee. Who have they lost to?

Been almost 15 for Texas High. Who have they lost to?  

There is a common denominator between ALMOST every one of these losses between all these teams. 

The demographics at Marshall, Texas High, Longview, Lufkin, JT, and Lee are practically identical. 

The trophies are stacking up at the suburban schools. Some of them brand new. 

Those are stats. Those are demographics.  And Marshall is in a similar trend of those schools.

i have no clue why you think we’d somehow be immune. 

I thought you read the answer... It's because we won a Championship in 1990 :rofl: 

1 hour ago, foxsportseasttexas said:

I definitely wouldn't bet on that...Looks like the DC is the one who made the difference with that squad.   Offense was ok at times but the Marshall defense is what was noteworthy....

Performance on the field has nothing to do with who will be Head Coach, it has to do with who can RUN the program. The OC is a hooked up dude with Head Coach written all over him.

From @MattStepp on Twitter: 

A source has indicated who will be under consideration for interviews for the Desoto job....consider me intrigued not so much by who is on the list but who is not on the list.... #txhsfb @dctf

Ill eat my crow if and when it’s served up.

Will some of you others that’s had soooooo much to say on here do the same???

#passthesalt 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

A source has indicated who will be under consideration for interviews for the Desoto job....consider me intrigued not so much by who is on the list but who is not on the list.... #txhsfb @dctf

#passthesalt 

To their defense, he did put his name in the hat,  which was the beef most of them had with it.  Not that I blame him... Harris told me once that he put his name in for many jobs every year just to see how good his resume or how desirable he was if he were to ever leave Marshall only to turn them down the moment he was told he was under consideration.

I am not sure if that is a common practice, but my dad said that he has run into many people in corporate jobs that do the same... It's not to land the bigger fish, but its really to see if the big fish want the bait you are feeding them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

#passthesalt 

Is crow worthy if it’s the school board turning Mathis down and not Mathis turning DeSoto down (which he didn’t by applying for the job)?

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

#passthesalt 

Agree with the other posters. How would anybody need to eat any crow? Mathis gave y'all lip service while he applied for his old job. If they don't give it to him, then that's on Desoto. But Mathis was ready to burn rubber back to the DFW.

• Like 1