DeSoto Open

playactionpass39

TBH I don't think Marshall had a choice in the original hire of Mathis. I think if you get a guy who is saying all the right things with the CV Mathis had, you almost have to hire him. At the time of the hire Marshall thought this was a homerun hire. But I think even the most supportive boosters could only think you have a 3-4 year run with a guy like that. You hope he comes in, wins immediately, and leaves the program built up for the next guy.

I would be livid too Mav. The limbo is the worst part, but I think this is what you get when you make this kind of hire. I think at this point, if I am a Mav fan I would be ready to just move on. You took your swing, and maybe now you see its not as good as what you thought it would be. Even if its not this year, I would think he will be posting for the big jobs in DFW every year. I don't know that, but I would think that is going to be the deal. Even applying for a job would kinda irk me. I actually have no idea, but I would not think John King and Scott Surratt are applying for jobs. Maybe not ever in their tenures at their schools. For us in ETX, Marshall would have to be one of the top 5-6 jobs in the area. I am not a coach, but I would have to think there is a lot of upside. Plenty of athletes. Full support if you win. Good pay. And now in 5a DII there is a real chance to win. I know I already said this, but I would be down 59S in a hurry offering big money. I just think Marshall deserves better.

It's an awful situation now, but I agree, Marshall had no reason not to believe him when he said he was going to make Marshall his home, build a power, etc. 

I've said it before, but very similar to what happened at Lee. George said all the right things about coming home to East Texas, etc. Then abruptly left. 

Hopefully this will be resolved soon one way or another so both schools can move forward 

2 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Extra sensitiver??? 

Im not sensitive   I’m livid.  

Am I suppose to sit back and cheer DeSoto on in all this?  I don’t give a rip about DeSoto’s future or their end game  but unfortunately we seemed tied to their fate until someone ends this three ring circus.  

tt’s nearly March and we are looking down the gun of a possible coaching change. 

This isn’t like replacing a golf coach. This is the head football coach and athletic director. 

And no matter how good the offseason is... it could mean zip if we have to start all over from scratch.  No.... that’s not expected, but it’s a distinct possibility. 

If caring about this program and how the community and the kids are being treated and my being livid how this is all going down makes me “sensitive” then call me what ever you like. 

We deserve better. 

What I was saying is that your original post towards me for “feeling for DeSoto fans,” ya know cause we have history with them...recent history...is somehow attacking Marshall and it’s fans in your eyes. I don’t know how you immediately jump to the defensive on it when all I was saying is I feel for them because I enjoyed interacting with their fan base and that they have good people there. 

End of story, the Super is about to get run out of town. And from the outside, it looks like it’s because he didn’t recommend Mathis. So...without him...they’ll be able to bring Claude back. That’s just how I see it. 

1 minute ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

If things go south with Mathis, I would bet Marshall can still have the coach from the East. I think they would pass again.

You took the words out of my mouth. But in fairness I don't think the Keeling and Drennon is a fair comparison. Drennon had a once in a lifetime class come thru, and parlayed it into a better job. I think Keeling would have more success at Marshall than Drennon will ever have at Hallsville for many different reasons.

Bottom line, at this point it's much ado about nothing.....Claude Mathis is still the HC/AD at MHS, and hopefully will be the HC/AD at MHS this time next year. If not, the sun will still rise the day after he leaves.

I don't think there's any doubt Coach Mathis was best guy available last year.....the results bear that out, both on the field, and with the program in general.

I was definitely an upgrade when Clint was brought in, and I hated to see him leave, BUT, I think Maverick Nation is even more excited about the current trajectory of the program than it has been since the Rodney Southern days.

Now, regarding the circus at Desoto.....jeez.....

8 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

What I was saying is that your original post towards me for “feeling for DeSoto fans,” ya know cause we have history with them...recent history...is somehow attacking Marshall and it’s fans in your eyes. I don’t know how you immediately jump to the defensive on it when all I was saying is I feel for them because I enjoyed interacting with their fan base and that they have good people there. 

End of story, the Super is about to get run out of town. And from the outside, it looks like it’s because he didn’t recommend Mathis. So...without him...they’ll be able to bring Claude back. That’s just how I see it. 

I never said you were attacking Marshall fans.

I just thought it was curious you pointed out how much I "hated DeSoto".

I don't hate DeSoto....I hate this circus and the limbo DeSoto's dumpster fire is creating for us.

And I think we have every right to be sick of it.  

5 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Extra sensitiver??? 

Im not sensitive   I’m livid.  

Am I suppose to sit back and cheer DeSoto on in all this?  I don’t give a rip about DeSoto’s future or their end game  but unfortunately we seemed tied to their fate until someone ends this three ring circus.  

tt’s nearly March and we are looking down the gun of a possible coaching change. 

This isn’t like replacing a golf coach. This is the head football coach and athletic director. 

And no matter how good the offseason is... it could mean zip if we have to start all over from scratch.  No.... that’s not expected, but it’s a distinct possibility. 

If caring about this program and how the community and the kids are being treated and my being livid how this is all going down makes me “sensitive” then call me what ever you like. 

We deserve better. 

Everything you are saying is why Marshall should move on now. Even if the Desoto thing doesn't work out (which it will), you will be in for this again next offseason. Mathis is aware of everything going on and he is the one keeping Marshall in the circus. You guys are his backup plan and you are laying there and taking it. Move his behind on and hire someone who wants to be there.

1 minute ago, scatright said:

Everything you are saying is why Marshall should move on now. Even if the Desoto thing doesn't work out (which it will), you will be in for this again next offseason. Mathis is aware of everything going on and he is the one keeping Marshall in the circus. You guys are his backup plan and you are laying there and taking it. Move his behind on and hire someone who wants to be there.

I disagree, Mathis wants to be in Marshall. He just wants to be in DeSoto more. This is not a knock on Marshall and this is not a Marshall problem, yet.

If Mathis does leave then it will be an opportunity to teach the kids that nothing is forever and that you should be allowed to chase your dreams.

Mathis has put the program in place and I think the Offensive Coordinator is going to be great Head Coach, so I don't think Marshall misses a beat if he does choose to leave.

2 hours ago, playactionpass39 said:

I disagree, Mathis wants to be in Marshall. He just wants to be in DeSoto more. This is not a knock on Marshall and this is not a Marshall problem, yet.

If Mathis does leave then it will be an opportunity to teach the kids that nothing is forever and that you should be allowed to chase your dreams.

Mathis has put the program in place and I think the Offensive Coordinator is going to be great Head Coach, so I don't think Marshall misses a beat if he does choose to leave.

You know... I thought the same thing when Marshall hires Richters...  

2 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

You know... I thought the same thing when Marshall hires Richters...  

Those two seasons were historic lows in just about every single category you can come up with.  

Offense  defense. Player participation numbers.  Fan support.

Historic lows for a program with 110+ years is really really bad.

i don’t think we are headed to anything like that with or without Mathis. 

Just ready to move on one way or another. 

2 minutes ago, Sideliner said:

Time to move on is right. It's about to get interesting in Marshall ...

This whole off-season is interesting... as is every off-season...

I wish the UIL would inject a rule with a hiring period for new HCs... Hell, make Jan 15th the last date to make a decision on keeping/firing a coach, and Feb 15th the last day for new coaches to be hired etc...  :D   Over-regulation?  Maybe, but this off-season fiasco in Marshall would be over already :lol: 

What’s going to be interesting is if DeSoto tanks and Mathis doesn’t get offered the job there and Marshall shows him the door. 

Not wishing that on him.  But it’s not outside the realm of possibility. 

5 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

What’s going to be interesting is if DeSoto tanks and Mathis doesn’t get offered the job there and Marshall shows him the door. 

Not wishing that on him.  But it’s not outside the realm of possibility. 

That could have some ramifications on who wants the job after that though.  How many would be faithful to Mathis and follow him to his next stop after being "fired for looking?"  I know coaching is one of those jobs that you are faithful to your AD/HC until the next one pays you more... but this could back fire and leave both coordinators uninterested in applying for that HC job and leaving us to once again hire another outsider.

You’re right. 

Again. It’s all a mess. 

Luckily the kids seem unfazed.  The offseason is ticking along. Participation is High.   Seems like they expect to win no matter who is here. 

Credit the staff for keeping them on track.  

All we can do is sit back and see how the circus in DeSoto plays out. 

53 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

You’re right. 

Again. It’s all a mess. 

Luckily the kids seem unfazed.  The offseason is ticking along. Participation is High.   Seems like they expect to win no matter who is here. 

Credit the staff for keeping them on track.  

All we can do is sit back and see how the circus in DeSoto plays out. 

I kind of wish I didn’t know about it so I could act shocked like the rest of Marshall and come on here and rant if something did happen and be oblivious to everything else. :lol: 

Mathis' wife is posting on Twitter in response to people saying the board meeting tonight is about the sup not wanting Mathis, that that is "fake news" and to leave Claude out of this. Wouldn't think she'd make something like like that public if her husband was still a candidate for this job. But could be wrong. 

I can't believe some of the things I'm seeing on Twitter concerning this.

WFAA reporter posts a tweet that the DeSoto school board may fire the Supt for not wanting Mathis back.

Mathis' wife tweets that it it's fake news.

WFAA reporter retracts tweet (sort of)

DeSoto Football tweets shade at Mathis' wife concerning #fakenews and eludes to all this being about what everyone thinks it is.

Mathis' wife responds: "this board meeting has NOTHING to do with FOOTBALL......."  Then she added "come on DeSoto Football,do better than posting this mess"

Added bit of info.....

Last May this same school board gave the current Supt a 5 year contract extension at 250K/year.  So it will cost them a cool million to buy out his contract.

Unreal.

Meanwhile.....we wait in Marshall.

31 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

I can't believe some of the things I'm seeing on Twitter concerning this.

WFAA reporter posts a tweet that the DeSoto school board may fire the Supt for not wanting Mathis back.

Mathis' wife tweets that it it's fake news.

WFAA reporter retracts tweet (sort of)

DeSoto Football tweets shade at Mathis' wife concerning #fakenews and eludes to all this being about what everyone thinks it is.

Mathis' wife responds: "this board meeting has NOTHING to do with FOOTBALL......."  Then she added "come on DeSoto Football,do better than posting this mess"

Added bit of info.....

Last May this same school board gave the current Supt a 5 year contract extension at 250K/year.  So it will cost them a cool million to buy out his contract.

Unreal.

Meanwhile.....we wait in Marshall.

It seemed it was his wife.  Someone asked and she said no, she is a relative. But in her bio her pinned tweet is of "her 3 boys" one of which is Champ Mathis. Lol. I dont even know anymore. 

What a mess. Guess they are still in executive session..

WFAA just had a story on the Desoto/Mathis/Marshall saga. No answers, he’s dividing the community on trying to com e back, I’d like to call it a cluster****. But he will tell the Marshall people in the morning he’s here for the long haul. Wow, what a cluster. He’s damned if he does and damned if he doesn’t. But, he brought it on himself. Power struggle over Claude Mathis or Kendrick Brown in Desoto. Meanwhile Petermans sitting in his recliner with a cold beer laughing his off.

• Like 1