DeSoto Open

playactionpass39

2 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

WFAA is reporting that DeSoto ISD has dismissed their Supt

That means Claude is headed back. Supe wanted Brown. But why would he go back? Why would Marshall want him back. I feel for the kids of Marshall, they’re the ones being distracted and hurt by all of this cluster.

There is no way anyone could have predicted the school board would go to the lengths of getting rid of the Supt in order to get their way.  That's a million dollar decision.....based on bringing back a coach that a percentage of your fanbase doesn't even want back.

I agree.... there is little doubt in my mind Mathis is involved.

WIsh he was gone tomorrow so this freak show can move down I-20.

7 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

There is no way anyone could have predicted the school board would go to the lengths of getting rid of the Supt in order to get their way.  That's a million dollar decision.....based on bringing back a coach that a percentage of your fanbase doesn't even want back.

I agree.... there is little doubt in my mind Mathis is involved.

WIsh he was gone tomorrow so this freak show can move down I-20.

I truly respect your opinion on all things Marshall, and have to believe you are well respected in the community and Maverick athletics. I am sorry this is happening to you guys, but I still do not understand why Marshall is being so passive. It's not like this isn't happening publically for all to see. Mathis is culpable enough in this mess to be released from his contract at Marshall and sent along his merry way. Marshall should strike first and show him the door. It's one thing for a coach to leave, but to orchestrate chaos in two districts at once in order to get your way is a sign of poor character. Do you really want a low character guy leading your football program? I don't think you do. No matter what happens in Desoto, I'd try to make sure Mathis knows he is not welcome to do this to the kids and community of Marshall.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, scatright said:

I truly respect your opinion on all things Marshall, and have to believe you are well respected in the community and Maverick athletics. I am sorry this is happening to you guys, but I still do not understand why Marshall is being so passive. It's not like this isn't happening publically for all to see. Mathis is culpable enough in this mess to be released from his contract at Marshall and sent along his merry way. Marshall should strike first and show him the door. It's one thing for a coach to leave, but to orchestrate chaos in two districts at once in order to get your way is a sign of poor character. Do you really want a low character guy leading your football program? I don't think you do. No matter what happens in Desoto, I'd try to make sure Mathis knows he is not welcome to do this to the kids and community of Marshall.

Agree. If I'm in charge he is kicking rocks. 

IF he’s culpable... which it appears on the outside looking in he is.....  he has somehow been involved in orchestrating: 

1.  Getting a state championship coach fired.... for reasons unknown nto anyone.  Race has been mentioned , but unconfirmed.

2.  Creating chaos on a school board that has already been a laughing  stock for years across sthe state of Texas.  They appear to be in total disarray at the moment.

3. Dividing a fan base between those that do.... and don’t want him back.  After all..... he’s abandoned them twice already. Not to mention he already bandoned the University of Houston and SMU.  And appears he’s about to shaft Marshall too.

4. Getting a Supt fired. Claiming it’s not football related, but sources  say he’s in hot water for not even giving Mathis an interview. Buying out his contract will cost DeSoto ISD a cool $1 million dollars.  This just 10 months after giving him a 5 year contract extension for $250,000 a year.  

5   Lying to your current employer and community .......who has supported you 100% since you got here while paying you handsomely so you can betray them.

Yeah. I’m ready for this circus to pack up and head down I-20. Sounds like they deserve one another.

12 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

IF he’s culpable... which it appears on the outside looking in he is.....  he has somehow been involved in orchestrating: 

1.  Getting a state championship coach fired.... for reasons unknown nto anyone.  Race has been mentioned , but unconfirmed.

2.  Creating chaos on a school board that has already been a laughing  stock for years across sthe state of Texas.  They appear to be in total disarray at the moment.

3. Dividing a fan base between those that do.... and don’t want him back.  After all..... he’s abandoned them twice already. Not to mention he already bandoned the University of Houston and SMU.  And appears he’s about to shaft Marshall too.

4. Getting a Supt fired. Claiming it’s not football related, but sources  say he’s in hot water for not even giving Mathis an interview. Buying out his contract will cost DeSoto ISD a cool $1 million dollars.  This just 10 months after giving him a 5 year contract extension for $250,000 a year.  

5   Lying to your current employer and community .......who has supported you 100% since you got here while paying you handsomely so you can betray them.

Yeah. I’m ready for this circus to pack up and head down I-20. Sounds like they deserve one another.

Hopefully this will be done in a couple days. But from the looks of it there is still quite a bit of drama to play out here. I know most in Marshall probably just want to know either way.

1 hour ago, scatright said:

I thought I had already addressed this part... 80% of Marshall or more do not even know this is happening.  I can guarantee you that.

Kaufman has a dang good coach that has ties to this area. Went 12-2 this year. Son-in-law of a coach who has won a state title a 2 different ETX schools. I think Marshall would have plenty of options if they had to go on another coaching search. If it happens, I think this time they have to find their guy that is going to stay. If the most important thing is to win in football, you gonna have to go out and make a guy an offer that is hard to pass up. Depends on what the administration is looking for. They might look in a different direction with this fiasco. But all I know is what I read here.

22 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Schools like DeSoto and Dallas ISD give all public schools a bad name when it comes to wasteful spending.  You have our Lt. Governor trying to give our money to private institutions... Hmmmm.... I wonder why............

So, let's say DeSoto hires Mathis... They will probably give him the largest contract or close to it in Texas for a HS FB Coach, plus $1m for the fired Supt, and not to mention whatever other costs come with hiring him...

How long will it take DeSoto ISD to get a full return on investment should this be the move they make?  I doubt Mathis would be there long enough for them to see it... And it sounds like his wife and family were sucked into this drama last night... why the hell would any of them want to stay there?  Marshall can be a dramatic town, but that stuff is a nightmare.  I would have to up my acid reflux meds.

16 minutes ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

You think MG? It's pretty public. But I guess if your not following TXHSFB close in the offseason, it would be easy to miss.

the Marshall News Messenger has never really bought into rumors and off-season mess... it would turn into a messy witch hunt and would hurt the MNM access to the athletic department as much or more than it would hurt the current HC.

47 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

I know this may be a case of 'if you can keep your head when all around you are losing theirs, you clearly don't understand the situation', but jeez people, I'm not sure anybody REALLY knows what's going on here (except possibly Mathis).......it seems that it's becoming a witch hunt on both sides.....if we get screwed, so be it, but it's kind of crazy to be condemning  people (Mathis) until all this plays out.

I'd hate to see the Desoto circus go on the road to Marshall.....if Mathis leaves, he leaves, and hopefully most of the staff will stay intact (including the new HC)......if Mathis stays, he stays.....regardless the program is on the right track. We'll be all right no matter what happens.

45 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

I thought I had already addressed this part... 80% of Marshall or more do not even know this is happening.  I can guarantee you that.

Who cares what 80% of Marshall knows. I'm sure the school board, superintendent, and boosters know. Those are the people that are making these decisions and I am saying they should decide. What I refer to "Marshall" being passive, I'm talking about those in decision making positions, not those hanging out in the bar at El Chico.

Watch for some fireworks in Marshall. 

I predict Mathis is about to be shown the door  no matter what DeSoto does.  It’s still not a given Mathis gets offered the job.  

Twitter last night was blowing up with anti-Mathis material.  DeSoto looks like they are on the verge of a civil war.  

More people in Marshall know about this than you know.  Maybe not general public..... but the Supt, boosters, and school board are fully aware.  And they are none too pleased. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, OakRidgeMav said:

I know this may be a case of 'if you can keep your head when all around you are losing theirs, you clearly don't understand the situation', but jeez people, I'm not sure anybody REALLY knows what's going on here (except possibly Mathis).......it seems that it's becoming a witch hunt on both sides.....if we get screwed, so be it, but it's kind of crazy to be condemning  people (Mathis) until all this plays out.

I'd hate to see the Desoto circus go on the road to Marshall.....if Mathis leaves, he leaves, and hopefully most of the staff will stay intact (including the new HC)......if Mathis stays, he stays.....regardless the program is on the right track. We'll be all right no matter what happens.

I don’t get this line of thinking.

Mathis brought in this entire staff. What makes anyone think they won’t go with him? As someone mentioned, it’s not like they’re East Texas guys to begin with.

And even if he stays at this point, what’s to say this whole thing doesn’t happen again next off season? Maybe he just wants to get back into the DFW market in general? 

I’d be completely over this non sense if I was a Maverick fan. I know most of y’all wanted to find a guy who would stay there for a decade long journey and maybe you thought Mathis would, but he’s definitely not someone to stay in one place for too long (as has been proven by his past and his immediate applying for this job despite trying to say publicly otherwise)

4 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

I don’t get this line of thinking.

Mathis brought in this entire staff. What makes anyone think they won’t go with him? As someone mentioned, it’s not like they’re East Texas guys to begin with.

And even if he stays at this point, what’s to say this whole thing doesn’t happen again next off season? Maybe he just wants to get back into the DFW market in general? 

I’d be completely over this non sense if I was a Maverick fan. I know most of y’all wanted to find a guy who would stay there for a decade long journey and maybe you thought Mathis would, but he’s definitely not someone to stay in one place for too long (as has been proven by his past and his immediate applying for this job despite trying to say publicly otherwise)

The OC and his wife have been seen having dinner on a regular basis with the Superintendent and his wife.

I'm totally an outsider and somewhat uninformed about this matter (all I know is what's been posted here, so caveat emptor) but if I'm one of the big wheels at Marshall ISD, yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and do my due diligence, then have a sit down with this Mathis guy. MISD has all the leverage. Make him an offer he can't refuse. Post the job and cast a wide net. Find the best guy for the program's future, and then move on.

Marshall has talent and resources, some lucky coach could have them winning in Year 1 and they could be a powerhouse pretty quick. 

• Like 2

Marshall is not going to fire Mathis if he doesn't get the Desoto job. Would have to pay him is contract for next year( 115K) from his original 2 year contract. It could be more as most administrator contracts are signed in Feb and his contract would have been rolled over to add that 1 year to it so he had a 2 year contract. Not sure if those have been signed yet, but Marshall could own him 230K. So get Firing Mathis out of your mind if he doesnt end up in Desoto.

• Like 1