DeSoto Open

playactionpass39

6 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

I don’t get this line of thinking.

Mathis brought in this entire staff. What makes anyone think they won’t go with him? As someone mentioned, it’s not like they’re East Texas guys to begin with.

And even if he stays at this point, what’s to say this whole thing doesn’t happen again next off season? Maybe he just wants to get back into the DFW market in general? 

I’d be completely over this non sense if I was a Maverick fan. I know most of y’all wanted to find a guy who would stay there for a decade long journey and maybe you thought Mathis would, but he’s definitely not someone to stay in one place for too long (as has been proven by his past and his immediate applying for this job despite trying to say publicly otherwise)

The point is, it is what it is.....it doesn’t do anybody any good (especially the kids) to bring the DeSoto circus on the road to Marshall....and it’s not exactly a leap to think that one of the coordinators would take the HC job if Mathis does leave, considering the chance of promotion and immediate success with the current direction of the program.

The comment about ‘if he stays, who’s to say it won’t happen again next offseason’....the man signed a TWO year contract.....what about that says he’s sold his soul to MHS??? 

Who among us has not left a job for what they consider an upgrade, be it money, competitive opportunity, etc.....I know I have, and it’s every person’s right to do what they think is best for them and their family/career.....I bleed Mav red, but I also understand that the DeSoto job, in the pure football sense, is considered an upgrade from Marshall......DeSoto plays on the highest level on national TV for goodness sakes....don’t get me wrong, the Marshall gig is a very good one, especially considering the support of administration and fan base, and the potential talent pool (most of the time)....but just how many coaches are happy these days settling in to a smaller town job and living a good life.....doesn’t happen very often any more....and before anybody says it, Surratt is an exception to the present day rule.

I admit I’m not happy with what has gone on, and I definitely think there is damage control to be done if he does stay, but it is what it is.

That is all.

If I am MISD, I hire/promote OC Jake Griedl. Being around him during the spring and summer at some 7 on 7, he is a guy that would take the job and run with it. He has history with a great program Lake Travis, knows the offense backwards and forwards. has great respect for the players and carries himself already like he is a HC.

I wouldnt screw around with a long search,etc if Mathis is gone. 

6 hours ago, mavfanpanamacity said:

Red theSupt signed a 3 year deal at 260K a year this summer. So he made 260K this year, they would "ONLY" owe him 520K.

But you are correct, they hired a outside consultant to find some kind of dirt so they can get out of that.

Mike LeslieVerified account @MikeLeslieWFAA

Desoto ISD has a board meeting tonight, to discuss status of Supt. Dr. David Harris In May, Harris was given a 3yr extension by the board, for $260k/yr

If they approved a 3 year extension that would give him a 5 year contract.

12 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

I think either coordinator would be a good choice. 

BUT.... does The Austin area call him away in a year or two?   It’s something to consider. 

I bet this moves quickly.  

We shall see  

I also think either coordinator would be a good choice......but, what I’m afraid of is, especially moving down to 5A D2, we’re going to get stuck in the ‘stepping stone’ mode (i.e. UH.....Briles / Sumlim / Hermann).....as long as the program continues to move in the right direction, Marshall is a place a lot of young talented coaches can come in and be successful quickly, then be lured away by a higher profile program.....going to be a tough choice between the promising, up and coming coaches, and one the administration thinks will be here long term.....personally I prefer talent......fortunately, as good coaches do, Mathis brought a talented staff with him.....now just to keep some of them.....we’ll see.....

Names for the Marshall job if it comes available

David Brewer Huntsville ISD OC

Casey Pierce Longview ISD DC

These two guys could keep Marshall rolling in the right direction. We do not need the big names just a great coach.. I know these two will be a great fit for the kids in Marshall and for the program itself.. 

• LOL! 2

Everyone was so fired up when they found out Mathis was on his way to Marshall; now everyone is real sick. As I’ve previously stated he’s nothing more than a get krunk coach. Chad Morris sent him packing; Desoto won state title the year after he left. He quite obviously has the folks of DeSoto fooled. So now they have to pay the supt off? He makes like 250k, so over the course of 5 years remaining on his contract, the folks of DeSoto bout to drop 1.25 million on someone that’s not even going to be working for them. Brilliant move DeSoto.