DeSoto Open

playactionpass39

I think we can and should win with Mathis.  His coaching ability has never been in question. 

The things he’s done in the last year year are nothing short of phenomenal concerning community involvement and booster involvement. 

He has gotten little league TACKLE football reinstituted in town. 

Has reached out to the Hispanic community and their involvement has exploded. 

More college attention to all our athletes. 

Participation numbers in football, track, and powerlifting is at an all time high. 

List goes on and on. 

But the last week or two has been a disaster. And it lays solely on his shoulders.  He allowed the chaos of DeSoto creep it’s way into Marshall. 

Shame on him. 

He has work to do to repair that.

We need to hear from him. He owes us that. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

This whole thing is crazy. Either way ole' Claude should be shown the door no matter what. A little 115k won't hurt Marshall. Hire that OC from LT you guys are high on, and move on. Maybe he will get y'all outta the 1st round.

The OC is not that great of a OC

• Thumbs Down 5

Dallas morning news announced 3 finalist for DeSoto:

Mike Robinson (North Mesquite)
Shawn Hurd (Katy Mayde Creek)
Herman Johnson (Duncanville)

I fully expect this to be rejected by the DeSoto school board and they will start over. lmao.

• LOL! 1

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

I fully expect this to be rejected by the DeSoto school board and they will start over. lmao.

My intel said from the get go it would be Brown, the former DC. My intel said he also withdrew because he was the supes choice. I wouldn’t count Brown or Mathis out until the day AFTER they announce their hire. With that being said, Mike Robinson is a great human and coach. He’s the only choice out of those 3 choices BUT that’s not a splash hire. I agree it will reopen.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

I’m not taking back anything I’ve said but I wonder if Mathis not saying anything was his way of saying “you just have to trust me.”  Something to ponder...

Mathis removes name from DeSoto job list

It's still up in the air as to who will be the new head football coach at DeSoto ISD but one thing is official – it will not be Claude Mathis.

Marshall's athletic director and head football coach had applied for the position but withdrew his name from consideration and said he's focused on Marshall.

"To me it's just like day one when I first got the job," Mathis said. "It's exciting. I'm here. I'm happy to be here. I haven't stopped working. The coaches have done a great job. It's a great place to be. The thing about it is we've got to continue to get better and we will continue to get better. I'm not going to let people say stop coach Mathis from being coach Mathis but I can say this – we're going to be great."

Mathis coached the DeSoto from 2008 to 2014, leading the Eagles to a record of 74-18.

"I can tell you this, sometimes in life you have to make hard decisions and I made a hard decision," Mathis added. "You don't want a community divided, meaning you don't want kids involved. You've got to do the best thing for those kids. Then with all the stuff coming out with their superintendant, it's just bad timing.

"He's a really good guy but the timing is just not right. You pull your name off because you don't want to be in a situation where you're going to hurt kids. It was best for me to do that."

Mathis said some people were understanding of why he applied for the position while the same can't be said of others.

"Don't ever let anybody in life keep you from reaching your goals or going after something," Mathis added. "If it's in your heart to go after something or you have a choice to go after something, you do it. That's why we have freedom. You have the right to do that. I have that right. If I want to go interview at University of Michigan, I have that right.

"That doesn't mean I'm a bad guy. I try to teach these kids that. As soon as that job came open, a lot of people knew, 'It's DeSoto. That's where he's from. He helped build that program and there's nothing wrong with that,' but other people didn't see it that way. That was disappointing.

"At the end of the day, I'm in a great place. I love these kids. I love this community. Job opportunities are always going to be out there and that's life. Don't degrade me.

"There are people that sit on the message board and they hide behind the message board," he continued. "They can say anything they want to say because they're so cowardly that they won't say it to your face.

"I get all that but my kids know coach Mathis. My kids are not going to listen to that chatter. My kids know me and trust in me. No matter how rough it got in this whole process, those kids never turned their back against me, or the staff. They're working their tails off.

"They want to become great. They're going to become great and they know what's ahead. We have a football season ahead of us and even the outside sports, the girls didn't say anything to me. The guys didn't say anything to me. They didn't.

Mathis said he had a lot of support from friends and family through the process.

"It was hard on my family, I know that, especially with all the lies people post out there," he said. "They have some thick skin and I'm glad they do. It's a good thing that it is over with. I'm happy. I'm happy where I'm at. I love Marshall. They have treated me very well, especially with all the text messages I've received from certain people in the community. It was awesome.

"The phone calls I received from people in the community, that was awesome. So it was a good deal. You want to be somewhere that you're wanted.

"The most important thing that I have to take care of are these kids," he continued. "They come first. I'm always going to put them first. It doesn't matter what people say about me. I'm always going to put these kids first.

"I'm not leaving them now and I'm officially not leaving them now."

In his first year with Marshall, Mathis led the Mavs to an overall record of 6-5 and a playoff appearance. He's excited about their opportunities in 2018.

"We have Fort Bend, Marshall, Manville, Port Neches Grove and A&M Consolidated (in Class 5A DII)," Mathis said. "I think those are the top five teams in there. We've got our hands full but we have a chance. I think our district is really, really good. I think it's going to be exciting.

"I appreciate everybody for being patient with me," he concluded. "I appreciate the district and the school board for being patient with me through the process, Dr. (Jerry) Gibson and Miss (Tina) Brown and the whole community itself and the fans."

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

I’m not taking back anything I’ve said but I wonder if Mathis not saying anything was his way of saying “you just have to trust me.”  Something to ponder...

Him applying for the job in the first place says alot. But good for Marshall he's staying put. 

15 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

SDC Broken News Report:

I am at CPAC and President Trump has alerted me that Claude Mathis will not be the Athletic Director of the United States of America in 2018.

My sources say he is, and you're a moron for disagreeing with me!  :argh:

• LOL! 1

Glad this is over. 

But I DO fully expect DeSoto to open up again. 

There is no way the school board will accept those candidates. 

And I do agree that coaches have every right to apply and interview for any job they choose. 

i just dont like all the obtuseness, secrecy, and what looks like sneaking around. 

We’ve seennit with DeSoto, Southlake Carroll, saw it a couple of years ago with (was it Dayton?). 

Just bizzare how this business has morphed into this.  It’s a shame. 

Time to to get back to work.  We. Have big things coming this season. 

Defending a district hapionship. 

Marshall earning their 600th program win. 

New classification. 

MISD new schools  are opened K-8. 

MHS about to get an 8M dollar renovation this summer (first phase of what will likely be 30M upgrade). 

Mav stadium getting first phase of renovation this summer too. 

Exciting place to be right now.  

Time for some good karma. 

Mathis, my name and who I am and what I do is never hidden.  I have not crushed you but the people who have been in opposition of you wanted to say something sooner.  It’s been “I’m not applying somewhere else.” “I am not focused anywhere but Marshall.”  

How are you 100% Marshall when you are applying other places?  

Again, I have no beef with you.  But we were in suspense for a month!  Just say you applied.  Just say you withdrew.  Just say I am focused but DeSoto is where my family is....  so many things you could have done better.

Again, if you want to contact me and call me a message board coward, give me a call in Mineral Wells... it’s not hard to find me.  

• Like 3

Could be a list as long as his arm. 

The real viciousness came from DeSoto folk that didn’t want him back. 

Speaking of people taking shots behind is username.....  I know your mama didn’t call you fiddler when you were born. 

Pot.... meet kettle. 

3 minutes ago, JTownFiddler said:

There are people that sit on the message board and they hide behind the message board," he continued. "They can say anything they want to say because they're so cowardly that they won't say it to your face.”

Wonder what his username is? 

It int jamalious

The issue is not applying for other jobs, thousands of coaches do that every year. He made it known publicly to try and force things in Desoto. It blew up in his face and now he wants to cry victim. He had his people get his name out in public, that was all on him.

I am thru talking about it, just hoping Marshall leaves his contract alone and he just has 2018 left on it and take it year by year with him.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Mathis, my name and who I am and what I do is never hidden.  I have not crushed you but the people who have been in opposition of you wanted to say something sooner.  It’s been “I’m not applying somewhere else.” “I am not focused anywhere but Marshall.”  

How are you 100% Marshall when you are applying other places?  

Again, I have no beef with you.  But we were in suspense for a month!  Just say you applied.  Just say you withdrew.  Just say I am focused but DeSoto is where my family is....  so many things you could have done better.

Again, if you want to contact me and call me a message board coward, give me a call in Mineral Wells... it’s not hard to find me.  

Exactly!!!!

i had no problem with him applying or interviewing anywhere  he has every right to do so  

I had a problem with being in limbo for a MONTH when March was right around the corner. 

Hard to start a coaching search in March. 

It was his obtuseness and lack of straight answers that people were upset with  

just be honest.  Don’t keep us in the dark or in suspense  

I realize he had no control over the circus going on in DeSoto..... but when that circus was starting to creep it’s way into Marshall.... there is a problem. 

All any of us was screaming for resolution. Nothing more.  I said it over and over. Just let us know... stay or go so we can move on. 

We have resolution now. 

Time to move on. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Could be a list as long as his arm. 

The real viciousness came from DeSoto folk that didn’t want him back. 

Speaking of people taking shots behind is username.....  I know your mama didn’t call you fiddler when you were born. 

Pot.... meet kettle. 

I will gone on and out this boy..  he is cHarlie Roster.

BTW

where is INTENSIFICATION?

i ate my crow when it appeared I was wrong. 

Will he eat his now that it appears he was wrong, will he do the same? 

Because now......   to use Lobo07’s phrase.... it’s NOT going down just as he said it would from the beginning. Shocking. 

• Like 1

Just now, Mavchamp said:

BTW

where is INTENSIFICATION?

i ate my crow when it appears I was wrong. 

Will he eat his now that it appears he was wrong, will he do the same? 

Because now......   to use Lobo07’s phrase.... it’s NOT going down just as he said it would from the beginning. Shocking. 

Suspended...

Glad it's over for Marshall. Still wouldn't trust Mathis, but if Marshall is happy then so be it. Hopefully this is not a yearly occurrence. Now tell Ole' Claude to get his boys ready for the upcoming season. Had a freshman QB this season. Will be expecting Marshall deep in the playoffs. Good luck Mavs.