Jump to content

DeSoto Open


playactionpass39
 Share

Recommended Posts

Marshall football banquet was Friday night.  Big turnout.  

Mathis spoke of being excited about the offseason and was positive about the future of the Mavs.  

Seems like he would be a little more mum if he was contemplating a move imho.  

Seems to me if he thought he might jet he’d pass on speaking  to the crowd and let one of the other staff members do the honors.

Guess we will have to wait and see.  But he talks like he’s staying thus far.

He has a loaded team coming back this fall.  

All this talk of him being gone is all speculation until an announcement is made.  

I think he stays.  The returning starters, the new split 5A.... more talent coming up from the lower levels.  Tons of community support.   We might not be in the city.... but we got some good things going on over here in the sticks.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Marshall football banquet was Friday night.  Big turnout.  

Mathis spoke of being excited about the offseason and was positive about the future of the Mavs.  

Seems like he would be a little more mum if he was contemplating a move imho.  

Seems to me if he thought he might jet he’d pass on speaking  to the crowd and let one of the other staff members do the honors.

Guess we will have to wait and see.  But he talks like he’s staying thus far.

He has a loaded team coming back this fall.  

All this talk of him being gone is all speculation until an announcement is made.  

I think he stays.  The returning starters, the new split 5A.... more talent coming up from the lower levels.  Tons of community support.   We might not be in the city.... but we got some good things going on over here in the sticks.  

 

He just might do it. It's all speculation on our parts. If Marshall likes him I hope he stays.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Marshall football banquet was Friday night.  Big turnout.  

Mathis spoke of being excited about the offseason and was positive about the future of the Mavs.  

Seems like he would be a little more mum if he was contemplating a move imho.  

Seems to me if he thought he might jet he’d pass on speaking  to the crowd and let one of the other staff members do the honors.

Guess we will have to wait and see.  But he talks like he’s staying thus far.

He has a loaded team coming back this fall.  

All this talk of him being gone is all speculation until an announcement is made.  

I think he stays.  The returning starters, the new split 5A.... more talent coming up from the lower levels.  Tons of community support.   We might not be in the city.... but we got some good things going on over here in the sticks.  

 

They all talk like they’re staying until they leave. I’ve seen them pack up in the middle of the night and leave town! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I dunno what DeSoto pays.  I’m sure it’s more than what he makes in Marshall. 

But he’s sitting at 115K here.... and that’s nothing to sneeze at.  Cost of living in East Texas is lower than Dallas county.  That 115 goes a lot farther. 

I’m aware of coachspeak.  

Im still betting on him staying put.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For the record Todd Peterman's problems at DeSoto weren't race related...they were school board politics related which is not uncommon...if Todd Peterman was black he woulda had the same issues he had at DeSoto....Todd Peterman is a football coach and didnt play politics and it upset some folks who thought they might lose school board seats..

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/19/2018 at 11:00 AM, scatright said:

I have a feeling that Marshall got worked in all of this. I think Mathis always intended to get back to Desoto and Marshall was just somewhere to hang out until his buddies got the deal done. All that talk about "home" and "building a program" just ensured that the people of Marshall made his stay as comfortable as possible. The writing on is on the wall and the biggest losers in the deal will be the kids in Marshall who actually believed what he was selling.

not just those kids... it would be the whole community who had as close to 100% backing as a hire as we have ever seen in that town....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I believe in taking a man at his word.

After our playoff loss to Mesquite Poteet, he gushed over all the community support the team was given.  He bragged about the huge crowd, the noise, and the overall love shown to the team.  Keep in mind... this was a somewhat disappointing season for Marshall thanks to losing not just our returning senior QB, but also losing our #2 backup to injuries.  This was a team lead by a 15 year old freshman QB.  Still district champs.  And was within 5 points of beating a defending state semi-finalist in the first round.

As recently as last weekend he was quoted as saying he was excited about the upcoming off-season program.   Bragged about sending 5 players to the elite camp in Dallas.  Bragged about the upcoming talent from the lower levels.... and excited about the young returning players from 2017.

He's made mention of saying his sole focus is on Marshall right now.

He's been quoted about being excited about realignment and the split divisions.

He's been uber involved with the track guys as recently as last week pushing more players to participate.  Same with the powerlifting team (who won the Texas High meet last weekend).

Sounds like a guy that focused on where he is.  Do I think he stays here forever?  Unlikely.  Someone will come along eventually.  But I think he knows he's sitting in a good position right now. 

He has a winning team at his fingertips.  He's making fantastic money ($115K).  He has a school board that supports him 200% (how rare is that???).  He has a booster club that just got him a half million dollar scoreboard and more plans on the way.  He's got TONS of community support (from all races *gasp*).  He's building this program in his image..... and these players would walk through fire for him.....something I haven't seen in Marshall since Bill Harper.  

Everything he says and does says he will stay.  Even after the news came out last week of DeSoto opening...... he stayed the course at the Maverick Football Banquet last Friday.  Talking about the future and looking forward to getting to work this spring. 

Before Clint Harper left for Duncanville, he withdrew from a lot of activities...... drifted away..... and all the signs of him leaving were on the wall long before the announcement was ever made.  Shocked no one.

I would think if Mathis was leaning towards leaving now.... he would have laid low.  Spoken softly....and been as vague as possible.  None of that has happened.  He's continuing to talk about 2018 Marshall.

So yeah....I take him at his word.  Until proven otherwise.  

Not saying some of you have an axe to grind..... but.....yeah.  Grind away.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, INTENSIFICATION said:

Claude Mathis caused/ created all the drama last offseason. It's a wrap. Sup may not want it, but the school board does. 

This is an ignorant post, like most of your other posts. Clearly you are someone who has some animosity towards Coach Matthis. Lets keep the hate out of this thread. Everyone is a tough guy behind a screen. 

 

Keep it with informative material only. Thanks. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, justafan said:

He was getting moved out at SMU. Nobody seems to talk about that. He took the first job somebody would hire him for. No way he stays in Marshall. But I doubt he gets Desoto again

From the understanding i got from an "insider", Matthis was offered an off field role (with pay increase) and to be the Recruiting Coordinator at SMU, later to be given the 10th coach on field spot in 2018 (not sure what that is, must be a new NCAA thing).. which is the same job he was offered once Coach Morris received the job at Arkansas, even after a year absent (which shows clearly Morris wanted him on staff). Matthis CHOSE to leave so he could coach his son, and future son. 

 

Again, lets not take shots behind screens. Know the facts. 

He has told the community of Marshall he is very happy being in East Texas. 

 

 

Back to the thread main conversation... Has there been any word out of DFW as to what Desoto is going to do? I would think they would want to act quick so they do not lose faith of the kids in the program. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For what it's worth: Mavs top priority for Mathis

Quote

"I have not been contacted by DeSoto whatsoever," Mathis added. "So I'm not worried about DeSoto right now. I'm worried about Marshall athletics. These kids are my most important thing and I will continue to make them my No. 1 priority."

...

"If something happens, the first person to know will be the superintendent (Jerry Gibson)," Mathis said. "He and I have a great relationship. But there's nothing happening. I'm here. I'm doing my job. This community has been awesome to me. The superintendent and the school board have been tremendously supportive in me coming here and giving me everything I need to make Marshall athletics the best ever and they have been such great support. You can't just find that everywhere. I mean, the administration support has been awesome. Miss (Tina) Brown (Marshall High School principal) has been tremendously awesome, 100 percent behind me, supporting me with all these kids. I'm in a great, great situation."

At Friday night's banquet, Mathis misspoke when talking about Marshall's seven-on-seven team and said "DeSoto" instead. He said that had nothing to do with the coaching position at his former school.

"It was an honest mistake," Mathis explained. " I was talking about seven-on-seven and I'd never mentioned Marshall in seven-on-seven, it's always been DeSoto because I had been there eight years and it was Marshall's first time ever going to seven-on-seven but I was trying to explain to them when I made that comment that I was bringing up DeSoto by being in seven-on-seven because we thought we were going to play those guys and I wanted to kick their butts and everything and I was so proud of our kids for doing such a great job and making a great run. It just came out totally wrong and I was like, 'Oh ####. Oh my gosh.'

"I haven't heard from anybody there (DeSoto)," Mathis said. "I don't plan on hearing from anybody there anytime soon. I've got to start track practice today so I'm full throttle. I'm going to worry about track practice and get things started."

This past season, the Mavericks lost their first four games under Mathis' direction, before turning it around and winning the next six to win the district championship and earn a playoff spot.

"Marshall has been good to me and we have some unfinished business," he concluded.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

I believe in taking a man at his word.

After our playoff loss to Mesquite Poteet, he gushed over all the community support the team was given.  He bragged about the huge crowd, the noise, and the overall love shown to the team.  Keep in mind... this was a somewhat disappointing season for Marshall thanks to losing not just our returning senior QB, but also losing our #2 backup to injuries.  This was a team lead by a 15 year old freshman QB.  Still district champs.  And was within 5 points of beating a defending state semi-finalist in the first round.

As recently as last weekend he was quoted as saying he was excited about the upcoming off-season program.   Bragged about sending 5 players to the elite camp in Dallas.  Bragged about the upcoming talent from the lower levels.... and excited about the young returning players from 2017.

He's made mention of saying his sole focus is on Marshall right now.

He's been quoted about being excited about realignment and the split divisions.

He's been uber involved with the track guys as recently as last week pushing more players to participate.  Same with the powerlifting team (who won the Texas High meet last weekend).

Sounds like a guy that focused on where he is.  Do I think he stays here forever?  Unlikely.  Someone will come along eventually.  But I think he knows he's sitting in a good position right now. 

He has a winning team at his fingertips.  He's making fantastic money ($115K).  He has a school board that supports him 200% (how rare is that???).  He has a booster club that just got him a half million dollar scoreboard and more plans on the way.  He's got TONS of community support (from all races *gasp*).  He's building this program in his image..... and these players would walk through fire for him.....something I haven't seen in Marshall since Bill Harper.  

Everything he says and does says he will stay.  Even after the news came out last week of DeSoto opening...... he stayed the course at the Maverick Football Banquet last Friday.  Talking about the future and looking forward to getting to work this spring. 

Before Clint Harper left for Duncanville, he withdrew from a lot of activities...... drifted away..... and all the signs of him leaving were on the wall long before the announcement was ever made.  Shocked no one.

I would think if Mathis was leaning towards leaving now.... he would have laid low.  Spoken softly....and been as vague as possible.  None of that has happened.  He's continuing to talk about 2018 Marshall.

So yeah....I take him at his word.  Until proven otherwise.  

Not saying some of you have an axe to grind..... but.....yeah.  Grind away.

 

Tell me again where his family lives? And are his kids in Marshall or Desoto?

  • LOL! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Matthias said:

For what it's worth: Mavs top priority for Mathis

"They haven't even posted the job," Mathis said. "Everything is rumors right now. That's all it is, just straight rumors.

"I have not been contacted by DeSoto whatsoever," Mathis added. "So I'm not worried about DeSoto right now. I'm worried about Marshall athletics. These kids are my most important thing and I will continue to make them my No. 1 priority."

They haven't even posted the job......I'm not worried about Desoto right now........hmmmm, sounds pretty solid. Could've said, "I am not going to Desoto even if they contact me, but instead said he's not worried about them right now. Also, why would he know the job hadn't been posted if he wasn't keeping an eye on the job?? 

"If something happens, the first person to know will be the superintendent (Jerry Gibson)," Mathis said. "He and I have a great relationship. But there's nothing happening. I'm here. I'm doing my job. This community has been awesome to me. The superintendent and the school board have been tremendously supportive in me coming here and giving me everything I need to make Marshall athletics the best ever and they have been such great support. You can't just find that everywhere. I mean, the administration support has been awesome. Miss (Tina) Brown (Marshall High School principal) has been tremendously awesome, 100 percent behind me, supporting me with all these kids. I'm in a great, great situation."

Didn't say that nothing would happen, he said nothing is happening.

At Friday night's banquet, Mathis misspoke when talking about Marshall's seven-on-seven team and said "DeSoto" instead. He said that had nothing to do with the coaching position at his former school.

"It was an honest mistake," Mathis explained. " I was talking about seven-on-seven and I'd never mentioned Marshall in seven-on-seven, it's always been DeSoto because I had been there eight years and it was Marshall's first time ever going to seven-on-seven but I was trying to explain to them when I made that comment that I was bringing up DeSoto by being in seven-on-seven because we thought we were going to play those guys and I wanted to kick their butts and everything and I was so proud of our kids for doing such a great job and making a great run. It just came out totally wrong and I was like, 'Oh ####. Oh my gosh.'

This is classic. Sounds like he's trying to explain to his wife why he said another woman's name in bed. err..err...err......I was thinking of beating Desoto, not leaving you for her! lolol

I hope he stays for the community, but this article shouldn't be as assuring as you guys are making it out to be. I read it and find it full of double speak and non committal language. he gone

  • Like 1
  • LOL! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If he was thinking of leaving.... wouldn’t it be better to just not talk to the press at all????  Just to stay mum?  

Openly talking about staying if you have no intentions of doing that is a really bad look that could follow you the rest of your career.  

And the slip up of him saying DeSoto is reeeaaalllly a reach for some trying to make a point IMHO. 

Guess we will all know soon enough. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was born and raised in  Marshall, and I consider myself to be the #1MAV Fan In The World! I tell "Skeet" that several times a week. I am an ardent supporter. I have supported the Mavericks down through the years, and will continue to do so regardless to who's the Head Football Coach. I am a Booster, and I keep (7) seven season tickets although I rarely make regular season games. 

As much as I love the Marshall Mavericks, I refuse to ignore what seems to be the writing on the wall. It's not so much as to what Coach Mathis has said, but what he hasn't said. He has not said, "Regardless to the rumors, I am not going, I am staying in Marshall!" IMO the only way Coach Mathis stays in Marshall, is that he is not offered the position in Desoto. For the sake of the kids I hope that he stays, but if he doesn't, that's ok, because the coach doesn't make Marshall. Marshall makes the coach. If the real truth was told, every coach that has had any degree of success in Marshall, if they had it to do all over again, they would have never left. I truly believe that if he (Mathis) goes, Dr. Gibson will do everything in his power to hire the best possible coach to lead the Marshall Mavericks. Go MAVS! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

If he was thinking of leaving.... wouldn’t it be better to just not talk to the press at all????  Just to stay mum?  

Openly talking about staying if you have no intentions of doing that is a really bad look that could follow you the rest of your career.  

And the slip up of him saying DeSoto is reeeaaalllly a reach for some trying to make a point IMHO. 

Guess we will all know soon enough. 

And yet every coach does it. Not talking to the press and ignoring their questions automatically starts rumors flying. What coach has said he’s going to go to a place before he’s signed a contract? Not saying he has, but as he said, job isn’t even posted yet. 

I find the “if something happens” comment really strange tbh.

But as you said, we will know soon enough.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...