DeSoto Open

playactionpass39

7 hours ago, randomuser said:

Dave Meadows, the HC before Mathis did about the same as Mathis. People forget that. Peterman is the only coach to get them to the promised land. The athletes have been there for years.

Meadows was 58-27 in his tenure at DeSoto; (Lost in Qtr-Finals; Lost in First Rd; Lost in Area Rd; Lost in First Rd; Lost in First Rd; Lost in Qtr-Finals; Lost in Area)

Mathis was 74-18 in his tenure at DeSoto; (Lost in Area, Lost in Area, Lost in Qtr-Finals; Lost in Area; Lost in Semis; Lost in Semis; Lost in Area)

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, foxsportseasttexas said:

How is Desoto a top job in the state with only 9 applicants??  Mathis is completely out of line if he leaves Marshall after 1 year.  He gave a commitment to the kids, community , administration  and more importantly a staff that has uprooted their families and moved to Marshall because he PROMISED to them that he was there to build a power-house. So shame on him for even applying for the Desoto job.  I don't get how he wants to go from a place with 110% support from the community and administration to a place where people have verbally said they don't want him and the school board is a mess.....

Regardless of ALL the problems, Desoto will be a State Championship contender year in and year out because of their talent base... to say they aren't a top tier job is foolish. I dont care if the school board explodes.... There is not a coach in the state of Texas that would turn down Desoto if they called them. PERIOD! There were only 9 applicants because the job wasn't posted publicly, but internally. Not many people knew where the job was even posted, unless told....and only certain people were told from what I gather. 

And Meadows wasn't near the coach Mathis was. Lets be honest. 

2 hours ago, MattStepp said:

Meadows was 58-27 in his tenure at DeSoto; (Lost in Qtr-Finals; Lost in First Rd; Lost in Area Rd; Lost in First Rd; Lost in First Rd; Lost in Qtr-Finals; Lost in Area)

Mathis was 74-18 in his tenure at DeSoto; (Lost in Area, Lost in Area, Lost in Qtr-Finals; Lost in Area; Lost in Semis; Lost in Semis; Lost in Area)

And Mathis had to compete with the Allen juggernaut that Meadows didn’t. 

29 minutes ago, WingTright said:

Regardless of ALL the problems, Desoto will be a State Championship contender year in and year out because of their talent base... to say they aren't a top tier job is foolish. I dont care if the school board explodes.... There is not a coach in the state of Texas that would turn down Desoto if they called them. PERIOD! There were only 9 applicants because the job wasn't posted publicly, but internally. Not many people knew where the job was even posted, unless told....and only certain people were told from what I gather. 

And Meadows wasn't near the coach Mathis was. Lets be honest. 

Every coach in the state was aware of the Desoto opening.  It was posted for the 10 day window as required by the TEA.  I don't  know a coach in this state that wants the job lady.  Explain why 6 out of 9 applicants were out-of-state coaches, 2 were current Desoto coaches and the other was Mathis....Meadows wasn't the coach Peterman was , he is the state -champ coach. Mathis has NEVER coached in a state championship game.  

6 minutes ago, foxsportseasttexas said:

Every coach in the state was aware of the Desoto opening.  It was posted for the 10 day window as required by the TEA.  I don't  know a coach in this state that wants the job lady.  Explain why 6 out of 9 applicants were out-of-state coaches, 2 were current Desoto coaches and the other was Mathis....Meadows wasn't the coach Peterman was , he is the state -champ coach. Mathis has NEVER coached in a state championship game.  

According to Michael Florek of the Dallas Morning News:

Desoto Applicants:

William Goodloe- Defensive Ends Coach in Northside ISD, San Antonio. 

Marcus Herford- OC for Milan Seamen (American League in Italy). Previously the HC of the Kiel Baltic Hurricanes. 32 Years old. Desoto Native.

Loren Johnson- HC of Highland Springs HS, Virginia since 2011. Total Record of 77-11

Vincent Luvara- DC of Washington & Jefferson University, Washington, PA. NCAA Div3.  DC record of 20-4.

Marcus McFarland- Special Teams Coordinator/RB Coach at Dallas Justin Kimball HS

Jewel Smith- Member of Football Staff at Lusher Charter School, New Orleans, LA

Brandon Harrison- Current Desoto Varsity Wide Receivers Coach. Ex NFL football player for San Diego Chargers (1996)

Donald Miller- Current Desoto Head Track Coach and Defensive Line Coach. 

Claude Mathis- Former Desoto HC. Record of 74-18. Current Marshall HC. Record 6-5 

Kendrick Brown**- HC at Little Elm. 4 year record of 14-27. Mathis' DC at Desoto

**This name has been thrown into the rumor mill.

4 minutes ago, WingTright said:

Desoto Applicants:

Marcus Herford- OC for Milan Seamen (American League in Italy). Previously the HC of the Kiel Baltic Hurricanes. 32 Years old. Desoto Native.

Loren Johnson- HC of Highland Springs HS, Virginia since 2011. Total Record of 77-11

Vincent Luvara- DC of Washington & Jefferson University, Washington, PA. NCAA Div3.  DC record of 20-4.

Marcus McFarland- Special Teams Coordinator/RB Coach at Dallas Justin Kimball HS

Brandon Harrison- Current Desoto Varsity Wide Receivers Coach. Ex NFL football player for San Diego Chargers (1996)

Claude Mathis- Former Desoto HC. Record of 74-18. Current Marshall HC. Record 6-5 

Kendrick Brown**- HC at Little Elm. 4 year record of 14-27. Mathis' DC at Desoto

This list looks like Mathis is an easy hire... 

I understand trends as it relates to suburban areas, I live in Sugar Land , one of the fastest growing suburban areas in the country.  As far as I'm concerned, I can care less about demographics, or, numbers.  Talent is talent, regardless to whether it's in the inner city, or suburbia, and numbers (enrollment) are numbers, regardless to whether it's 1980, 90, or 2018.  Call me an unrealistic homer if you will, but I choose to believe that with the right coach, Marshall still has the talent base to compete with anyone, in any classification.

Yes, HP did put 59 points on us in the SCG. A high school team (HP) with two current professional athletes that were the highest paid in their respective sport. Matthew Stafford (Detroit Lions) was the quarterback, and Clayton Kershaw (LA Dodgers) was the center on that team.  I'm just grateful that they didn't put anymore points on us than they did.

I understand that the enrollment is down in Marshall (you say 400) from what it was in years past.  That is largely due to students choosing to go to other schools in the surrounding area (Hallsville, Waskom, Tatum, etc.).  I know that our numbers don't stack up against suburbia, but I believe that our talent does.  Furthermore, I still believe that with the right coach that we can go "Head to Head", and "Toe to Toe" with anyone.  I believe that if he build it (program), they will come (home).  I guess time will tell whether I'm a unrealistic homer, or maybe I know something the average person doesn't.

5 minutes ago, MAV1975 said:

I understand trends as it relates to suburban areas, I live in Sugar Land , one of the fastest growing suburban areas in the country.  As far as I'm concerned, I can care less about demographics, or, numbers.  Talent is talent, regardless to whether it's in the inner city, or suburbia, and numbers (enrollment) are numbers, regardless to whether it's 1980, 90, or 2018.  Call me an unrealistic homer if you will, but I choose to believe that with the right coach, Marshall still has the talent base to compete with anyone, in any classification.

Yes, HP did put 59 points on us in the SCG. A high school team (HP) with two current professional athletes that were the highest paid in their respective sport. Matthew Stafford (Detroit Lions) was the quarterback, and Clayton Kershaw (LA Dodgers) was the center on that team.  I'm just grateful that they didn't put anymore points on us than they did.

I understand that the enrollment is down in Marshall (you say 400) from what it was in years past.  That is largely due to students choosing to go to other schools in the surrounding area (Hallsville, Waskom, Tatum, etc.).  I know that our numbers don't stack up against suburbia, but I believe that our talent does.  Furthermore, I still believe that with the right coach that we can go "Head to Head", and "Toe to Toe" with anyone.  I believe that if he build it (program), they will come (home).  I guess time will tell whether I'm a unrealistic homer, or maybe I know something the average person doesn't.

Im curious as to how you think this will happen? There are programs all around Marshall that have "built" it, and thats why they are always successful. Carthage, Longview, Waskom, Gilmer....SO how do you build it in your mind, and build it in a way that will attract those kids to come to Marshall. 

4 minutes ago, randomuser said:

I keep telling you boys, Mathis isn’t getting the Desoto job. Quit worrying.

You may very well be right, but if the hire comes from that list posted, other than Mathis, the Superintendent and board may get ran out of town. It will have to be an "unlisted" canidate

17 minutes ago, MAV1975 said:

No one is doubting Marshall's talent.  Longview and Marshall grow some of the best athletes in the state yearly...  But, in today's football society in this state, players and parents are for sale.  I can't say that I've seen Aledo recruit an athlete first hand, but I can tell you one thing, the school district itself recruits with its facilities, its safe environment, its community, and its dedication to its students... I am sure there is a booster with cheap unlisted rental homes in the area (see Brock, TX)... but seriously, Aledo has about the same amount of home grown talent as Marshall... but the difference between the 2 cities, is that Aledo also gets 3-4 (or more) move-ins each year that are of the elite caliber in the state.  Marshall and Longview do not get those...  so any successes should be a testament on how great the talent is in Marshall...  But until there is something to attract those elite move-ins at a young age, then we can not consider ourselves among the Texas HS Football elite.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WingTright said:

You may very well be right, but if the hire comes from that list posted, other than Mathis, the Superintendent and board may get ran out of town. It will have to be an "unlisted" canidate

Or a "win now" coach...

7 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

No one is doubting Marshall's talent.  Longview and Marshall grow some of the best athletes in the state yearly...  But, in today's football society in this state, players and parents are for sale.  I can't say that I've seen Aledo recruit an athlete first hand, but I can tell you one thing, the school district itself recruits with its facilities, its safe environment, its community, and its dedication to its students... I am sure there is a booster with cheap unlisted rental homes in the area (see Brock, TX)... but seriously, Aledo has about the same amount of home grown talent as Marshall... but the difference between the 2 cities, is that Aledo also gets 3-4 (or more) move-ins each year that are of the elite caliber in the state.  Marshall and Longview do not get those...  so any successes should be a testament on how great the talent is in Marshall...  But until there is something to attract those elite move-ins at a young age, then we can not consider ourselves among the Texas HS Football elite.

Facilities, facilities, facilities. East Texas teams that have success have Championship level facilities. Look at Carthage for example. If Marshall ever wanted to max their potential then they would need to build facilities to attract those around them. East Texas open enrollment hurts schools like Marshall. 

1 hour ago, WingTright said:

Desoto Applicants:

I read on another site few days ago that Brown was staying at Little Elm, has something changed? 

17 minutes ago, WingTright said:

Im curious as to how you think this will happen? There are programs all around Marshall that have "built" it, and thats why they are always successful. Carthage, Longview, Waskom, Gilmer....SO how do you build it in your mind, and build it in a way that will attract those kids to come to Marshall. 

I would take out Waskom.  That was home grown talent, and that is a normal cycle, much like Marshall goes through.  Same for Longview, their successes are a compliment to Coach King and his system and not attracting the East Texas elite... he builds the elite...

Now for Carthage, that town has always had talent.  Surratt took it to the next level.  The money in that town rewarded him and the program and have built and upgraded facilities to attract the families to that school.  Marshall can barely pass a bond to upgrade the schools... Most of what has come "new" to the football program is private donors who are doing their best to even stay on par with what is needed to keep families there.  

Despite what @MAV1975 believes, Marshall just doesn't have enough attractive housing or jobs to attract people to move there after a few successful seasons.  The school has an average to poor rating on test scores (always has), the poverty level is 31%, there are neighborhoods that are literally falling apart on every side of the city.  The commerce is mostly small shops and chain stores.  There is no major industry or educational jobs (unless you teach) that attract the middle/upper-middle income families...  And on top of that, you can't attract the poor elite athlete to Marshall because they are TOO POOR TO MOVE!  

Don't get me wrong... I love my town.  I succeeded in my career and educational goals due to some of the obstacles and life experiences I had to overcome because of that city.  Hell, I even went back and worked there... But it is not an attractive place to live for your average 2 parent family looking for a new place to live.  Marshall is one of those places that you have to be from here to understand here... 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MAV1975 said:

Marshall don't need to attract athletes from anywhere, we just need to keep our home grown talent at home.  With the right coach, we win!  We win, upgraded facilities will follow.  FYI, It's already in the works.

Is there a new bond being passed?

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, MAV1975 said:

Based upon what I know, I will continue to believe that with the right leadership, Marshall is able to compete with anybody (5A Div. II or 6A).  Thank you very much!

Image result for smh gif

You should watch more football outside of Marshall for a change. 

• LOL! 1

9 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Image result for smh gif

You should watch more football outside of Marshall for a change. 

He lives in Sugarland... which means he doesn't watch Marshall Football and doesn't understand the current/former landscape of what Marshall has to overcome to be a yearly contender.  

1 minute ago, MavGrad99 said:

He lives in Sugarland... 

He may live there but clearly pays attention to nothing not named Marshall to be believing they have the most talent of anyone in the state...not to mention East Texas.

3 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

He lives in Sugarland... which means he doesn't watch Marshall Football and doesn't understand the current/former landscape of what Marshall has to overcome to be a yearly contender.  

The recent early round playoff exits are a testament to the fact that Marshall struggles against 5A Division 1 level schools as constituted in the 2018-19 realignment. However, they will not be competing against those size schools anymore. 

• Like 2