District 11-2A (D-I)

KirtFalcon

9 minutes ago, NewtonNation said:

Aww come on now Kirt. You know y'all are going to miss playing Newton.

Garrison just didn't have the numbers or athletes to compete with Newton, although our 2003 team I do believe could have hung with the 2017 Newton team ... it seems like were forever playing the role of the small fish in the big pond .... not to mention it's a long way to drive to take an #### whoopin' .... time to get back in the pond with schools more our size ....  I'm still a big Newton fan, just glad to be shut of them in our district!!!! .... :woot:

12 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

Garrison just didn't have the numbers or athletes to compete with Newton, although our 2003 team I do believe could have hung with the 2017 Newton team ... it seems like were forever playing the role of the small fish in the big pond .... not to mention it's a long way to drive to take an #### whoopin' .... time to get back in the pond with schools more our size ....  I'm still a big Newton fan, just glad to be shut of them in our district!!!! .... :woot:

:p

I'll be pulling for y'all. Good luck! 

I’d like to see a rundown on all the teams in this district. I’ll start it off. 

Joaquin 2017 season: 

8-3, 2nd place in District 11AA D1. Losses to Tenaha (15-1 D2 State Finalist) 23-22, San Augustine (13-1 D1 State Semifinalist), and Centerville (11-3 Regional Finalist). 

Returning starters 6 offense/ 7 defense 

Key players lost: RB/ DB Kase Yates, QB/ DB Tray Wilkerson, OL/ DL Zach Bell (District defensive MVP), OL/ DL Lane Bates, Titus Harvey, TE/ DE Matt Silvey, TE/DB Keith Johnson. 

Returnees: JR. RB/ DB Connor Bragg, Sr. RB/ DB Hunter Gates, Sr. QB/ LB Trenton Ramsey, Jr. RB/ DE Boogie Lane, Jr. RB/ LB Ian Shahan, Sr. RB/ DE Tre Burns, Jr. OL/ PK Jesus Bravo, Sr. OL/ DL PJ Salone, Sr. RB/ LB Joseph Tarver, Soph. OL/ DL Blake Cummings. 

Replacing Bell, Yates and Wilkerson will be difficult. All three are 4 year starters. Bell is among the best DL to ever play here. Yates was 1,000 yard rusher for 3 straight years. Wilkerson took every meaningful snap at QB for 3 years. Gates had a 1,000 yard season as a junior, and Bragg was the most explosive player in our district before a torn MCL shortened his season. Lane, Shahan and Burns will rotate to take the rest of the carries. A big key will be Ramsey at QB. A more productive passing game will open up the defense for the rushing attack. The defense should be solid. A key will be developing Cummings and Miller to anchor the DL. New starters will replace Wilkerson and Yates on the back end. Overall, I think the Rams are a solid bet for a playoff spot, and can challenge for the district title if we can avoid the injuries that have hampered us the last two years. 

Linden-Kildare...............Lost a really good return man/DB/WR/runner, who got lots of different awards.....and they lost a 2-way lineman that was probably the best or 2nd best on the team.............also lost the QB, but the guy replacing him should do just as good, if not a little better.................had a soph RB who had about 2000 yards rushing -------over the last 40 years, I have seen lots of big school playoff games, also seen about half of Carthage's games in the last 11 years, and I have never seen a back start/stop/jump to the side any better than this guy-------Shock Linwood(all time leading rusher at Baylor and an L-K grad) was close in that category, but not any better-----------he doesn't have blazing speed and he is small............Also return a LB who set a school record for tackles in a season -------with an *, as any player getting off the pile now gets credited with a full tackle

If the linemen work hard in the weight room and on footwork between now and August, L-K should be competitive in this district, maybe making the playoffs

On 2/2/2018 at 6:10 AM, ATLFalcons said:

Did anyone other than me see their JR high teams last year???  They will reload!

I saw their Jr High team.  I'll bet their backfield averaged about 165lbs per kid.  The rest of this district may not want to admit it, But this is no average D2 team moving up to now play with "the big boys".  They just may be the favorite to win the district.  Im gonna say Tenaha/Joaquin in week 10 decides it.

Still haven't been able to get a full Garrison schedule yet.  I know we are playing Alto in non district ... nobody seems to know anything except they are waiting on two schools to agree to a home and home agreement ... don't know which two schools ...

On 2/16/2018 at 1:28 PM, PineyWoodsRelic said:

Now that everyone has had their district meetings, I think most fans would be very interested in seeing each schools 10 game schedule.  Just a thought. 

Joaquin: 

Scr. 1: @ Logansport, LA

Scr. 2: Waskom 

1. @ Deweyville 

2. Ore City 

3. @ Shelbyville 

4. Corrigan-Camden (HOCO)

5. @ Garrison 

6. Bye

7. Linden-Kildare 

8. @ Timpson 

9. Beckville