District 11-2A (D-I)

KirtFalcon

10 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

It’s where Doomer went in search of his old buddies CreasyBear and Highnrass6. He said the new coaching staff offered him the spot on the track where AsYouWere used to stand, but as you know, Doomer has a great fear of lizards, and that dragon mascot gives him the heebiejeebies. Tru storie. 

Well that explains everything.  How does he make it when bill plays at Shelbyville. Or does he not go 

5 hours ago, upullinmychain said:

Jus letting yall know I'll be peeking thru Tha fence at yall some this year... You know, jus checking up on yall✌️

Come on over Chain. If you’ll tell me when you’re coming I’ll throw an extra possum leg on the grill for you. 

Tenaha is an unknown for me. Lost a ton, but always have talented kids. Big step up week to week from what they’ve done in district since the split.

Timpson was well behind Tenaha last year and they are also making a big jump district wise.

LK going to have to show they belong. Same as Tenaha and Timpson in that this district is a bit more challenging then what they are coming from. 

Beckville lost Lindsay at QB and that is going to hurt. Don’t know if they have the horses even though they are dropping. 

Harleton struggled mightily in 3A and got dropped worse case scenario district wise.  May be a better team and still not see the results in the W column.

Garrison is a big wild card. Have some pieces back, but also lost some very talented players. But 3 rounds in 3A is nothing to scoff at.

Joaquin is interesting. Had a chance to beat Tenaha last year. Had a legit shot at winning the district last year, and just got a brutal 1st round matchup with Centerville thanks to a tie breaker over there (if i recall correctly). Can they get back over the hump?

My very uneducated opinion is that the 4 playoff teams will be Garrison, Tenaha, Timpson and Joaquin but I think atleast right now there are too many ???s for everyone to put them in an order i’d feel confident about. 

17 hours ago, TxFight said:

Tenaha is an unknown for me. Lost a ton, but always have talented kids. Big step up week to week from what they’ve done in district since the split.

Timpson was well behind Tenaha last year and they are also making a big jump district wise.

LK going to have to show they belong. Same as Tenaha and Timpson in that this district is a bit more challenging then what they are coming from. 

Beckville lost Lindsay at QB and that is going to hurt. Don’t know if they have the horses even though they are dropping. 

Harleton struggled mightily in 3A and got dropped worse case scenario district wise.  May be a better team and still not see the results in the W column.

Garrison is a big wild card. Have some pieces back, but also lost some very talented players. But 3 rounds in 3A is nothing to scoff at.

Joaquin is interesting. Had a chance to beat Tenaha last year. Had a legit shot at winning the district last year, and just got a brutal 1st round matchup with Centerville thanks to a tie breaker over there (if i recall correctly). Can they get back over the hump?

My very uneducated opinion is that the 4 playoff teams will be Garrison, Tenaha, Timpson and Joaquin but I think atleast right now there are too many ???s for everyone to put them in an order i’d feel confident about. 

I agree with you. I’m confident that I can pick the 4 playoff teams out of Districts 9, 10 and 12, and get close on the seeds. But I think ours is wide open, mainly for the reasons you stated. I think we’ll see a lot about our team in the two scrimmages we play. 

17 hours ago, TxFight said:

My questions are similar to yours: 

How does Tenaha respond to a schedule where they’re not blowing everyone out and sitting their starters by the 4th quarter? 

How does Timpson handle a much tougher schedule than the one they’ve played for two years? 

Ditto LK. 

Beckville was on the cusp of snagging a playoff spot in a very tough 3A district last year before Lindsay got hurt. Can they rebuild after losing a great senior class and inject themselves into the mix? 

Can Harleton turn the corner from being a punching bag to making themselves a contender now that they are fighting in their weight class? 

Can Garrison be the dominant force they said they would be if they ever got to drop back down? 

Can Joaquin continue being the team that the pollsters ignore only to shock the world by beating their darlings? And if so, can they get over the hump of first round playoffs? 

We will know a lot more by week 6 for sure. 

Harleton changed offenses is what i heard.Going to spread with bunch of slow guys. Several new coaches. Maybe 2-8, lucky 3-7, good year 4-6, great year 5-5. But been around long enough to know that u never know which group of kids show up on friday night.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Destry said:

Harleton changed offenses is what i heard.Going to spread with bunch of slow guys. Several new coaches. Maybe 2-8, lucky 3-7, good year 4-6, great year 5-5. But been around long enough to know that u never know which group of kids show up on friday night.

See, I don't get this...  the Spread is only an "equalizer" if you've got an above-average defense or a gifted QB. 

Line them boys up in the Pro I, or Split/Wing T, or something that'll eat up some clock.

Throwing three passes and punting only sets you up for blowouts. 

15 minutes ago, AKA said:

See, I don't get this...  the Spread is only an "equalizer" if you've got an above-average defense or a gifted QB. 

Line them boys up in the Pro I, or Split/Wing T, or something that'll eat up some clock.

Throwing three passes and punting only sets you up for blowouts. 

In high school, especially the lower classifications, the spread can be the best formation for a “running team.”  If you have a running back with speed/quickness and a couple of receivers(maybe all 4) with speed, then the spread might can offset not having a line that can not blow people off the line.  Spread the defense out(they have to respect your speed outside) and hope that your line can get in the way enough that your back can find a seam. 

Logansport scored once on Joaquin in the controlled scrimmage, then won the live quarter 2-0. We still have some timing issues to work out on the O-line, and are still looking for the right combination on our defensive front 7. Logansport has as good a group of linebackers as I think we’ll see all year. Four kids have 40+ starts between them and are really well coached. We played well early on defense, but we’ve still got work to do. 

3 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

Logansport scored once on Joaquin in the controlled scrimmage, then won the live quarter 2-0. We still have some timing issues to work out on the O-line, and are still looking for the right combination on our defensive front 7. Logansport has as good a group of linebackers as I think we’ll see all year. Four kids have 40+ starts between them and are really well coached. We played well early on defense, but we’ve still got work to do. 

Still early blue, you know it takes yall a month to get going.. 

2 minutes ago, upullinmychain said:

Still early blue, you know it takes yall a month to get going.. 

Yeah I feel pretty good about it. We’d like to be able to go over there and put it on our old rivals, but they brought 10 defensive starters back, so we knew moving the ball on them would be pretty tough. It’s not gonna be any easier next week. Waskom is very good. But that’s why you scrimmage good teams. 

Garrison looked really strong tonight against Arp over at their place.  Our defense completely stifled their offense.  They couldn't move the ball at all, on the ground and they only completed a few short passes.  They only made  a couple of first down and never crossed mid field.  We intercepted two passes and ran one back for a score and our defense and their sloppiness caused 3 or 4 fumble which we recovered at least two.  On offense we had two running TDs one was over 60 yards.  We ran the ball really strong.  We also looked pretty sharp throwing the ball completing most of the passes we threw.  Wise is a three year starter at QB and has really picked up his game.  Had one sure TD dropped with the receiver running free and he just started off to the races before he put the ball away.    We got two transfers from Center that are really going to help, one is a running back with a lot of speed and his brother is a speedy WR ... Overall, I was mildly surprised how good we looked for a first scrimmage ....

2 minutes ago, BearcatBlue said:

Same source that has a 2-0 score?  Watched every play.  A lot of improvement needed on both sides.  Line play on both sides need work.  Thought  yalls second qb played well.  Right tackle /LB kid played  hard.  Defensive right end went hard also.

No.  Heard from players and a coach that Beckville wasnt fit to finish the scrimmage.

SA will be using 2 QB's from what I hear.  Looking forward to seeing them against Huntington next week.

1 minute ago, KirtFalcon said:

Garrison looked really strong tonight against Arp over at their place.  Our defense completely stifled their offense.  They couldn't move the ball at all, on the ground and they only completed a few short passes.  They only made  a couple of first down and never crossed mid field.  We intercepted two passes and ran one back for a score and our defense and their sloppiness caused 3 or 4 fumble which we recovered at least two.  On offense we had two running TDs one was over 60 yards.  We ran the ball really strong.  We also looked pretty sharp throwing the ball completing most of the passes we threw.  Wise is a three year starter at QB and has really picked up his game.  Had one sure TD dropped with the receiver running free and he just started off to the races before he put the ball away.    We got two transfers from Center that are really going to help, one is a running back with a lot of speed and his brother is a speedy WR ... Overall, I was mildly surprised how good we looked for a first scrimmage ....

Nice.  Who do yall have next week?